Quiet Helmets That Dont Shake

KRS1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up a OGK FF4 to test and i must say, its all hype....all the reviews about it on webbikeworld and other places are all bullshit.

It says it has the best airflow, but in reality my old REAL has better airflow, this is the hottest helmet ive ever had and the liner itches like hell.

It does not cut through the wind smoothly, it drags and you can feel it dragging, there's also a whistling coming from the right side.

BUT in a full tuck, its the quietest helmet ive had, and cuts smoooooth, no shudderring at all...its primarily designed for track use and this is where it excels, but for the street it sucks.

I used to use a Real G-Force, and now an HJC CL16. My G-Force is still useable but whenever I go out I always pick the HJC over the Real one. Here's a few reasons why:

1) Comfort - The CL16 has better liners compared to the G-Force (the material is softer, and smoother for the HJC helmet).

2) Water Resistance - I have yet to arrive home through the rain with my hair wet with the CL16 (even sometimes when I forget to close the top vent). That can't be said for the G-Force which just gets all soaked up. Which brings usto the next reason.

3)Helmet Odor - The G-Force will stink like a wet dog after a day's use, the liners in need of being popped into the washer. The CL16's moisture wicking liner material does its job preventing helmet stink even when using the helmet without a balaclava.

Here's why I kept my G-Force:

1)It's quieter than the the CL16.

2)It has a quick snap lock system (an ECE certification requirement), so I don't have to remove my gloves to take it off.

3)It's less atttractive to thieves (especially with the huge red decal of my name at the back, the helmet stink helps too) so I don't have to worry leaving it on the motorcyle when I'm out.

TIS certification aside, my HJC looks more well-built compared to my Real Helmet.The vents are solid, the liners feel better, etc. I pass through four or five checkpoints on my way home and I have never been stopped because my helmet is not TIS approved.

Nomadjoe is confusing a voluntary thai quality mark with legality. Any helmet is lawful in Thailand. There are NO mandatory regulations covering helmets here in Thailand.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Tell that to the helmet shop owners who regularly get raided for selling non TIS rated helmets and have thier DOT and SNELL helmets confiscated. It's not voluntary, it's Thai law. Look it up like I did if you don't believe it.

Sorry. I still say bullshit. You looked it up. Ok provide a link.

Some helmets in lotus and bigc have NO TIS rating. Others have a small label on the inside.

I have never heard of any bike shop being raided for 'non TIS ' rated helmets. Again link please.

I have heard of shops being raided for counterfeit and illegally imported goods. Different though me thinks.

I used to use a Real G-Force, and now an HJC CL16. My G-Force is still useable but whenever I go out I always pick the HJC over the Real one. Here's a few reasons why:

1) Comfort - The CL16 has better liners compared to the G-Force (the material is softer, and smoother for the HJC helmet).

2) Water Resistance - I have yet to arrive home through the rain with my hair wet with the CL16 (even sometimes when I forget to close the top vent). That can't be said for the G-Force which just gets all soaked up. Which brings usto the next reason.

3)Helmet Odor - The G-Force will stink like a wet dog after a day's use, the liners in need of being popped into the washer. The CL16's moisture wicking liner material does its job preventing helmet stink even when using the helmet without a balaclava.

2)It has a quick snap lock system (an ECE certification requirement), so I don't have to remove my gloves to take it off.

3)It's less atttractive to thieves (especially with the huge red decal of my name at the back, the helmet stink helps too) so I don't have to worry leaving it on the motorcyle when I'm out.

TIS certification aside, my HJC looks more well-built compared to my Real Helmet.The vents are solid, the liners feel better, etc. I pass through four or five checkpoints on my way home and I have never been stopped because my helmet is not TIS approved.

You know this really makes me think about helmet design.

You have styrofoam in every helmet, then a shell of ABS, polycarbonate, or composites. How different can a high end helmet be from a low end helmet, provided the materials being used are the same? Not including composites and grain orientation.

The build quality of my 1300 baht REAL GJ-998 is higher than this OGK FF4 that sells for 9000 baht.

Someone send me a liner for my REAL and i'll send you something from the US. thumbsup.gif

You know this really makes me think about helmet design.

You have styrofoam in every helmet, then a shell of ABS, polycarbonate, or composites. How different can a high end helmet be from a low end helmet, provided the materials being used are the same? Not including composites and grain orientation.

The build quality of my 1300 baht REAL GJ-998 is higher than this OGK FF4 that sells for 9000 baht.

Someone send me a liner for my REAL and i'll send you something from the US. thumbsup.gif

There's a chance the materials are actually not the same. Different styrafoams have different indexes for compressiblility. Different composites have different properities in regards to deformability (and its closely related impact resistance), abrasion resistance, etc. And let's not forget the costs associated with design; proper computational fluid dynamics, wind tunnel tests, etc.

Of course some manufacturers simply sell based on their name.

If you have 2 helmets that are both DOT and Snell certified, one $150 and the other $500 how different could they be though?

They're both tested to a strict guideline.

I wonder if these DOT and Snell certifications just test the helmet under stress, or if they also measure the amount of head trauma from the transfer of impact energy?

Edited by KRS1

If you have 2 helmets that are both DOT and Snell certified, one $150 and the other $500 how different could they be though?

I wonder if these DOT and Snell certifications just test the helmet under stress, or if they also measure the amount of head trauma from the transfer of impact energy?

Check out this link.

In terms of safety I think they're very similar. I think the different is in terms of comfort, weight, noise reduction, styling, desirability etc. My Shoei is much more comfortable, quieter, lighter than my HJC, but I have no doubts over the safety of the HJC it is just a bit less refined.

Nomadjoe is confusing a voluntary thai quality mark with legality. Any helmet is lawful in Thailand. There are NO mandatory regulations covering helmets here in Thailand.

Tell that to the helmet shop owners who regularly get raided for selling non TIS rated helmets and have thier DOT and SNELL helmets confiscated. It's not voluntary, it's Thai law. Look it up like I did if you don't believe it.

Sorry. I still say bullshit. You looked it up. Ok provide a link.

Some helmets in lotus and bigc have NO TIS rating. Others have a small label on the inside.

I have never heard of any bike shop being raided for 'non TIS ' rated helmets. Again link please.

I have heard of shops being raided for counterfeit and illegally imported goods. Different though me thinks.

This is another reference different from the one which I originally read which I haven't found yet.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=2409

Yeah it happens without a doubt. After hearing about it, I brought it up with the owner of a big helmet shop in Phuket Town and he confirmed this happens and confirmed that helmets that are sold not tested to TIS can be seized if placed on shelves for sale. This tactic is perfectly in line with other Thai shakedowns concerning things like forgery's, music copywright and software violations and such.

Edited by NomadJoe

I have owned a couple REAL Stealth full face helmets. One a limited edition Stealth Classic which I was really happy with. Price about 3200B (See below) Slightly heavier than an Arai or Shoei but provide the same amount of protection. Good ventilation. Quiet at high speeds. The shaking/bobbing isn't going to change much based on the helmet. That is a function of where your helmet sits in the wind stream. And if the helmet is lifting/floating then it's too loose. At 120mph you had better have a proper fitting helmet (a proper fitting helmet is tighter than most people think) or it will be floating.

There are only two helmets that are certified for both us in Thailand (TIS 369-2539) and the states (DOT or SNELL). They are Shark and Real. Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand.

Never ever buy a used helmet. There is no way to know how close to the end of it's useful life it is or how it's been treated, if it's been dropped etc.

You say that Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand. Why would that be,

Because by Thai law they must be tested to Thai Industrial Standard 369-2539.

who would care about it if that was the case and why would anybody at all care anyway?

It doesn't seem to be widely inforced, but the BIB can be enterprising when they want to be. I have only heard of one case where a BIB cited a rider for having an imported (DOT) helmet. They should have an exception for foriegn helmets that are DOT/ECE/Snell etc, but they don't probably in part to try to protect thier helmet market.

I'd buy the helmet that's going to perform best for my money and protect my fragile head. I place far greater value on my well being than worrying if it's legal in Thailand.

A wise position, but the thing of it is according to a lot of the reading I have done on this topic in motorcycle magazines and online from people involved in the helmet industry is that the difference in safety between a 3000B helmet or a 20,000B-30,000B helmet is infintesimal. They are all simply EPS foam in an ABS plastic shell. And not much has changed in 20 years of helmet manufacturing.

I'd buy the helmet that's going to perform best for my money and protect my fragile head. I place far greater value on my well being than worrying if it's legal in Thailand.

A wise position, but the thing of it is according to a lot of the reading I have done on this topic in motorcycle magazines and online from people involved in the helmet industry is that the difference in safety between a 3000B helmet or a 20,000B-30,000B helmet is infintesimal. They are all simply EPS foam in an ABS plastic shell. And not much has changed in 20 years of helmet manufacturing.

Can I ask on your helmet with TIS is the logo blue or red?

I have owned a couple REAL Stealth full face helmets. One a limited edition Stealth Classic which I was really happy with. Price about 3200B (See below) Slightly heavier than an Arai or Shoei but provide the same amount of protection. Good ventilation. Quiet at high speeds. The shaking/bobbing isn't going to change much based on the helmet. That is a function of where your helmet sits in the wind stream. And if the helmet is lifting/floating then it's too loose. At 120mph you had better have a proper fitting helmet (a proper fitting helmet is tighter than most people think) or it will be floating.

There are only two helmets that are certified for both us in Thailand (TIS 369-2539) and the states (DOT or SNELL). They are Shark and Real. Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand.

Never ever buy a used helmet. There is no way to know how close to the end of it's useful life it is or how it's been treated, if it's been dropped etc.

You say that Arai, Shoei, AGV, Scorpion, Bell, HJC, etc. are not legal for use in Thailand. Why would that be,

Because by Thai law they must be tested to Thai Industrial Standard 369-2539.

who would care about it if that was the case and why would anybody at all care anyway?

It doesn't seem to be widely inforced, but the BIB can be enterprising when they want to be. I have only heard of one case where a BIB cited a rider for having an imported (DOT) helmet. They should have an exception for foriegn helmets that are DOT/ECE/Snell etc, but they don't probably in part to try to protect thier helmet market.

I read everything posted but still find nothing to suggest that it is a compulsory standard.

And as for cops on Phuket doing shops. Jeezzze do what ever they want. Law or not.

Edited by thaicbr

Theres no TIS logo on my REAL, and the Dot & Snell emblems on my OGK is a sticker....

The logo on the REAL is inside on a label. At least that's where Index put theirs. The reason I was asking is simply that if blue then its a voluntary test mark. If red then its compulsory. Ohhh the index one is just black print so no idea :D:D

Theres no TIS logo on my REAL, and the Dot & Snell emblems on my OGK is a sticker....

The logo on the REAL is inside on a label. At least that's where Index put theirs. The reason I was asking is simply that if blue then its a voluntary test mark. If red then its compulsory. Ohhh the index one is just black print so no idea :D:D

Interesting. Never heard that blue/red thing. My Avex just has it printed in black on the label inside the helmet.

Interesting. Never heard that blue/red thing. My Avex just has it printed in black on the label inside the helmet.

I checked the TISI website it is a mandatory tag. Red.

Funny thing though I can find NO other reference to it being illegal to use a helmet rated from another test agency. Or in fact that by law only the TISI ones are legal. Just Thailand I suppose. Oh and sorry if I came over a bit strong earlier. Bad day :rolleyes:

I checked the TISI website it is a mandatory tag. Red.

Funny thing though I can find NO other reference to it being illegal to use a helmet rated from another test agency. Or in fact that by law only the TISI ones are legal. Just Thailand I suppose. Oh and sorry if I came over a bit strong earlier. Bad day :rolleyes:

No worries. I was probably sounding the same.

I am still looking at the Thai code, but I did find this:

"iii. Use , and minimum quality standard , of motorcycle helmets

(1) Road Traffic Act 1979, section 122, motorcyclist and passenger are

obliged to wear helmet to protect from harm during driving. motorcyclist with passenger not

wearing helmet is not allowed. Helmet wearing instruction is according to the Ministerial

Regulations issued after Road Traffic Act 1979.

(2) Type of helmet : full face helmet, open face helmet, and half helmet.

(2) minimum quality standard : TIS 369-2539"

http://www.unescap.o...2010-Status.pdf

Edited by NomadJoe

The logo on the REAL is inside on a label. At least that's where Index put theirs. The reason I was asking is simply that if blue then its a voluntary test mark. If red then its compulsory. Ohhh the index one is just black print so no idea biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

nope not there just checked it again from the inside and no TIS mark anywhere on the REAL. I heard the DOT emblem must be printed on helmets opposed to a being a sticker though. The REAL is printed on the back. OGK is a sticker...<deleted>?

Check out this link.

boy that was a long read, no mention of measuring head trauma though, just using an accelerometer to measure deceleration, which im guessing should mimic a brain during a sudden stop/impact.

Here's something interesting from that link though: Summary - DOT Certification is on the honor system, anyone want to make a gamble that Thai manufacturers are honorable? (i guess my SNELL sticker is ok, too then)

"...DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.

Around 1990 a few magazine articles appeared questioning whether Snell certified helmets met the DOT standard. Some went as far as claiming that it was impossible to meet both standards with the same helmet but others were more cautious and said only that meeting both was very difficult.

In fact, Snell certified helmets do meet DOT. If you want to be sure that your helmet meets the DOT standard, get a Snell certified helmet. Manufacturers apply for and earn Snell certification because they care about quality. These are the very manufacturers for whom the honor system works. A Snell sticker is your best assurance that the helmet meets both Snell and DOT. Without our sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all...."

Edited by KRS1

I can picture a helmet thief falling to the side of the road after the helmet stank gets too him and passes out.

The REAL Stealth i had, had some serious stank issues. This GJ-998 is doing much better though, unfortunately the paddings worn thin and its floating now.

Check out this link.

boy that was a long read, no mention of measuring head trauma though, just using an accelerometer to measure deceleration, which im guessing should mimic a brain during a sudden stop/impact.

Here's something interesting from that link though: Summary - DOT Certification is on the honor system, anyone want to make a gamble that Thai manufacturers are honorable? (i guess my SNELL sticker is ok, too then)

"...DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.

Around 1990 a few magazine articles appeared questioning whether Snell certified helmets met the DOT standard. Some went as far as claiming that it was impossible to meet both standards with the same helmet but others were more cautious and said only that meeting both was very difficult.

In fact, Snell certified helmets do meet DOT. If you want to be sure that your helmet meets the DOT standard, get a Snell certified helmet. Manufacturers apply for and earn Snell certification because they care about quality. These are the very manufacturers for whom the honor system works. A Snell sticker is your best assurance that the helmet meets both Snell and DOT. Without our sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all...."

The lack of unbiased checking for DOT cert is a bit worrying; especially from the smaller less established manufacturers. As to whether Snell cert allows DOT requirements to be met it would seem to me that having that sticker would be better since you know the helmet has actually been checked against a standard.

The third paragraph here says that the TIS certification is mandatory for manufacturers and importers of motorcycle helmets.

http://app.tisi.go.t...ews.pl?news=386

With TIS, which stands for Thai Industry Standard, the only thing you know is that the first helmet is from the same quality as any other helmet of the same model. It's an industry standard and not a safety standard, you can find plastic buckets (real plastic buckets) that have the TIS logo...

post-12170-0-31265100-1345112254_thumb.j

The third paragraph here says that the TIS certification is mandatory for manufacturers and importers of motorcycle helmets.

With TIS, which stands for Thai Industry Standard, the only thing you know is that the first helmet is from the same quality as any other helmet of the same model. It's an industry standard and not a safety standard, you can find plastic buckets (real plastic buckets) that have the TIS logo...

Hence...

post-118861-0-14220100-1345116029_thumb.

... I guess the bucket is TIS certified.cheesy.gif

Richard, I am struggling to find any relevancy in your post. How do non-helmet TIS standards (like the TIS 2134-2545 you posted which concerns air conditioners) that have nothing to do with helmet testing standards (TIS 369-2539) and this conversation? My Scuba tank has "DOT" on it. Is that relevant?

I think you need to take another look at this... http://app.tisi.go.t...tis369_2539.pdf There is a heck of a lot more there than "the first helmet is from the same quality as any other helmet of the same model."

Richard, you made a comment to Sylvian of Shark Helmets on your website which I linked to above in which you made the claim that TIS 369-2539 is not a requirement for helmets in Thailand. Is that still your understanding? If so, why? Do you have some better references for us? Reading the articles on your site, it would appear you are in regular contact with industry manufacturers. You should know this topic frontwards and backwards.

Edited by NomadJoe

Richard, I am struggling to find any relevancy in your post. How do non-helmet TIS standards (like the TIS 2134-2545 you posted which concerns air conditioners) that have nothing to do with helmet testing standards (TIS 369-2539) and this conversation? My Scuba tank has "DOT" on it. Is that relevant?

I think you need to take another look at this... http://app.tisi.go.t...tis369_2539.pdf There is a heck of a lot more there than "the first helmet is from the same quality as any other helmet of the same model."

Richard, you made a comment to Sylvian of Shark Helmets on your website which I linked to above in which you made the claim that TIS 369-2539 is not a requirement for helmets in Thailand. Is that still your understanding? If so, why? Do you have some better references for us? Reading the articles on your site, it would appear you are in regular contact with industry manufacturers. You should know this topic frontwards and backwards.

True the logo was not from a helmet, it was so people know how the logo looks like.

Second yes, I seen the documents TIS is making, and I would like to see where in the law it says Thai Motorcycle helmets need to be to confirm the (TIS) Thai Industrial Standard. So far as I know the law says that a motorcycle helmet needs to be confirm an Industrial Standard.

Anyway, I not see the TIS-369-2539 as a serious safety standard. A 120 Baht (3 Euro / US$ 3.90) helmet at BigC supermarket also has the TIS-369-2539 safety standard, but I push a dent into the outer shell with my thumbs... Imagine what a simple hammer blow will do... or what about 100km/h against a car traveling at 60km/h, simple math 100+60 is 160km/h brut force on a helmet who I can crack with my hand...

They have a saying if your head is worth 5 dollars buy a 5 dollar helmet...

Pge7C4ztGm1213191231.jpg

The Correct TIS logo

Edited by Richard-BKK

As far as being smooth thru the air at high speed, I have found the Arai to be a good choice. I got mine back in my racing days, and the big selling point is that they make more than one shape of helmet.

Head shape is anywhere from round to oval, and a dealer can fit you and adjust the cheek pads so that it fits your head well. This really cuts down on the flopping at speed.

But where to get this service in LOS - that is the question. My days of riding at Max - or over - are done.