Platinum Px250 Or Lifan Lf250Gy-7 Aka Lifan Satan 250 Or Gpx Zf250 Enduro

InternetPTT

I really dont know why these threads end up like this.

The Lifan is what it is, nobody is saying it is as good as the equivalent honda or yammy or kwaka.

It's a cheap throwaway bike, the plastics are crap, the engine is good, the ride is ok, fit for purpose in my case which is a cheap village burner. I've put 2k on mine, when i push the button it starts, when I turn the twisty bit it goes, usually in the direction the wheels are pointing.

It's low tech, easy to maintain, cheap to repair. I can strip it down with a spanner and a screwdriver 25 years ago it would have been called Jap Crap.

If I could trade it for the XR200 I had 25 years ago I probably would, or for the XLS 250 I had 20 years ago I certainly would. But I cant for anything remotely like the pocket change it cost me.

What it is is a serviceable bike for a fraction of the cost of the mainstream analogue. And if it lasts a year, its cost me only the depreciation of that analogue. I think it will last quite a bit more than the year though, albeit with some cheap replacements for the crap plastics.

If I was a serious enduro rider or a competitor I would buy a serious bike, but I'm not.Neither is the OP.

What we have never had in one of these threads is someone (anyone) come and complain that the Lifan they bought fell to bits after 1 year. Mostly only wanke_rs who have never had one lauding their Jap bike that they lost more in depreciation on the minute they rode it out of the showroom than the lifan costs new.

Edited by necronx99
  • Like 2

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a saying, what goes like this “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”. And if you want to go to Laos and Cambodia on a budget motorcycle do what they do, ride a Chinese motorcycle...

Lifan is the ONLY motorcycle brand that has sells the same motorcycles in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia!!!

In Cambodia the names of some Honda motorcycles seem compatible, but trust me, they aren't not one Cambodia Honda mechanic knows anything technical about a PGM-FI (fuel injection), now-a-day all Honda motorcycles are what we can call 'digital', while in Cambodia and Laos everything is still very much 'analog' with carburator fueled bikes and electronics at a minimum (nothing fancy like combi-brakes, ABS, etc...) Even if you get into trouble and you would need something like a spar part you like to find that the most compatible part comes from a Chinese build motorcycle as even in Cambodia the brake pad of the Honda Dream is not the same as in Thailand... also non of the engine parts will fit.

How much 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Honda Laos and Cambodia sold? How many 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Kawasaki sold in Laos or Cambodia...Oops Kawasaki not even has dealers in Cambodia or Laos...

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Third world quality bikes for riding in a third world countries. It appears that Lifan's marketing budget is a bit third world too, if trolling motorcycle forums is the only way they can get the word out about their crappy bikes. By the way, I'm on my fourth fuel injected Honda bike and have never had any problems with the FI system. Quality build and engineering equals minimal mechanical problems. Poor build and engineering equals a lifetime of problems. Also, Honda offers a five year 50,000km warranty on their engines. How about Lifan?

I wouldn't doubt the deep pockets of Lifan. they are the largest engine manufacturer in the world. The owner is a billionaire and drives a Bugatti Veyron among other things. But China is way behind in brand building and marketing, they also seem to underestimate its importance. But Lifan is here to stay, and they will soon by carving out some of the motorcycle market from Japanese brands.

The largest engine builder in the world? Where does this fact come from???

There is a saying, what goes like this “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”. And if you want to go to Laos and Cambodia on a budget motorcycle do what they do, ride a Chinese motorcycle...

Lifan is the ONLY motorcycle brand that has sells the same motorcycles in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia!!!

In Cambodia the names of some Honda motorcycles seem compatible, but trust me, they aren't not one Cambodia Honda mechanic knows anything technical about a PGM-FI (fuel injection), now-a-day all Honda motorcycles are what we can call 'digital', while in Cambodia and Laos everything is still very much 'analog' with carburator fueled bikes and electronics at a minimum (nothing fancy like combi-brakes, ABS, etc...) Even if you get into trouble and you would need something like a spar part you like to find that the most compatible part comes from a Chinese build motorcycle as even in Cambodia the brake pad of the Honda Dream is not the same as in Thailand... also non of the engine parts will fit.

How much 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Honda Laos and Cambodia sold? How many 150 to 250cc motorcycles did Kawasaki sold in Laos or Cambodia...Oops Kawasaki not even has dealers in Cambodia or Laos...

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Third world quality bikes for riding in a third world countries. It appears that Lifan's marketing budget is a bit third world too, if trolling motorcycle forums is the only way they can get the word out about their crappy bikes. By the way, I'm on my fourth fuel injected Honda bike and have never had any problems with the FI system. Quality build and engineering equals minimal mechanical problems. Poor build and engineering equals a lifetime of problems. Also, Honda offers a five year 50,000km warranty on their engines. How about Lifan?

I wouldn't doubt the deep pockets of Lifan. they are the largest engine manufacturer in the world. The owner is a billionaire and drives a Bugatti Veyron among other things. But China is way behind in brand building and marketing, they also seem to underestimate its importance. But Lifan is here to stay, and they will soon by carving out some of the motorcycle market from Japanese brands.

They actually do build many engines. From powered machine engines up to car / truck engines.

Their engines are actually in many other chinese brand bikes ( same as Locin)

The quality of Chinese bikes has been improving over the years. Do they still have problems. Oh yes. But then so did Ducati and Harley in the early days. Most problems I have seen on ny friends tend to be the accessories and parts like tyres ( no name)

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Sorry no link; my brother spent 2 days with Yin Mingshan earlier this year (oilfield related, not bikes) and heard it from the man himself. Maybe he made it up.

I really dont know why these threads end up like this.

What we have never had in one of these threads is someone (anyone) come and complain that the Lifan they bought fell to bits after 1 year. Mostly only wanke_rs who have never had one lauding their Jap bike that they lost more in depreciation on the minute they rode it out of the showroom than the lifan costs new.

Indeed ...

Edited by ThunderDuck

My GF just translated the Chinese sales brochure into English for me. Yep, that's what they said too! biggrin.png

Having owned a Chinese machine for the past four years, I have to say the engine is flawless. But unfortunately that's where the good news ends. The rest of the bike is, err...rubbish to say the least, both in construction and reliability. Spares are difficult - if not impossible to find and breakdowns frequent. Never, NEVER again!

Edited by agogohome

Having owned a Chinese machine for the past four years, I have to say the engine is flawless. But unfortunately that's where the good news ends. The rest of the bike is, err...rubbish to say the least, both in construction and reliability. Spares are difficult - if not impossible to find and breakdowns frequent. Never, NEVER again!

But it could be said that 4 years is a long time. Qc. Could have improved on many products and companies in that time. You also do not say which bike manufacturer. Or in fact which country you owned it.

But it could be said that 4 years is a long time. Qc. Could have improved on many products and companies in that time. You also do not say which bike manufacturer. Or in fact which country you owned it.

Yes, which bike? and where did you buy it?

I remember one of these lifan threads about not being able to get a carb in thailand.

Actually the carburetors on Lifan motorcycles sold in Thailand are also manufactured in Thailand. And I'm sure that Lifan Thailand is able to send a carburetor directly from its warehouse to any part in Thailand, and depending on how much you pay you have it in an hour (if near BKK), day or if with regular parcel service within a few days.

I sure some people want to see that forum thread...

I remember one of these lifan threads about not being able to get a carb in thailand.

Actually the carburetors on Lifan motorcycles sold in Thailand are also manufactured in Thailand. And I'm sure that Lifan Thailand is able to send a carburetor directly from its warehouse to any part in Thailand, and depending on how much you pay you have it in an hour (if near BKK), day or if with regular parcel service within a few days.

bbigman seems to have to wait long amounts of time for repairs.....

bbigman seems to have to wait long amounts of time for repairs..... http://www.thaivisa....ls/page__st__25

Sure some people need to wait a bit longer until a dealer has figured out what is wrong with a motorcycle, this is exactly what happened with the Lifan LF250-B from bbigman.

The problem was not just a part that needed replacement, the dealer did that and the problem was not fixed.

I'm pretty sure that you can find enough Honda owners who complain about some un-explainable sound from there motorcycle, it took a Honda dealer a long time to fix it...

Mistery problems happen with all motorcycles, and a 250cc v-twin is a bit more technological different than what the average Thai motorcycle mechanic works on...

The last thing what bbigman said about its Lifan LF250-B motorcycle is that it runs great and even better than new....

I have had the lifan 200 cross now for 2 months and i can say that it goes very well and i do a lot of off roading and treat it like a motocross bike and i am going everywhere that my friends are going on there yzf250,the engine is fine,problems so far are shop put new carb as the old one was getting stuck,and have just fixed squeaky front brake myself,apart from that its a great bike for the money and believe me i have given it some up in the mountains,as much as i would give my motocross bikes before.I would never take it to a motocross track as its not made for that but if you want something to use on the road and off into the mountains its great,also parts are dirt cheap!

• 1 month later...

Platinum HQ has opened a branch (not a satilite dealer as before) in Phuket town. They have bikes on display at Home Pro in Chalong this week, including two PX250's which surprised me since the last I heard they had not passed emmissions for Thailand. The salesman actually spoke English better than the folks at Kawasaki. He said the books come in 2 weeks. 5 year warrenty on the engine, 6 months on the battery, and 2 years on everything else. 67,000B. My phone was dead but I will take some pics tomorrow. The bike looked pretty good, even had annodized USD forks. I have to wonder if the quality is imporved since my 2007 PX175, which fell apart or quite running every 5 minutes.

Google can't find any pictures of the 250, nor could I find a Platinum Thailand website.

Edited by NomadJoe