Here Is My New Yamaha Road Star 1700, 2007 Model.

dagling

Road Star vs. Fat Boy Comparo

"If we had to spend our own cash, for $10,699 we'll take the Yamaha, thank you. It's a torque monster that makes for a great all-day cruiser as well as a bit of a hooligan bike with the appropriate lose nut sitting in the saddle."

"While Harley has been trying for years to smooth out the vibes on their motors, Yamaha has engineered some "pulse" into their motors so they don't feel so homogenized and the bike has the sort of character that is uncommon for a Japanese cruiser."

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/road-star-vs-fat-boy-comparo-15646.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having other big bike riders become instant friends...well except for some Harley riders (I think they are jealous).

Enjoy smile.png

555... They pay to much money, for less funlaugh.pngcheesy.gif

I am just sitting here in my hotel room here in Maizuru (Japan) on the 9th floor and heard a Harley down on the street, despite it was pretty dimmed down exhaust note but still no mistake which bike it was. I seen a lot of HD's here in Japan, I wonder whywink.png, don't think they are cheap here.

Yes you pay more for the real thing, if I ever was to buy a big cruiser again it would be a HD (owned 2 in the past) or I rather pass.

I had a lot of fun of my last HD: Police saluting you, never being stopped on beach road during bike raids outside the police station & great trips all over the Kingdom. Oh boy I miss my HD Road King but family first, hmm maybe again one day, a man got to have his dreams.

Seriously, if you were given the choice of a Harley or this bike, you would take the Harley or choose to not ride at all? I find that very hard to understand. Do you love riding nice bikes or love the (brand) image? Do you buy a bike to ride or do you prefer to be saluted by corrupt cops?

At least you're telling it like it is, most harley guys like to dress it up as something else so I applaud your honesty if nothing else.

I am happy with what I got. As I have stated before I do like the Victory Vision, but with the cost of having one here being through the roof it's highly unlikely I would get one. Harleys are available here, but .............

Well, as a Honda VTX1800 owner all I can say is......welcome to the other side. thumbsup.gif

You are now in the small privileged group of Metric cruiser riders who know the pleasure of having a big ballsy powerhouse underneath you.

The pleasure extends to riding in a comfortable position. Never being short of power to overtake. Getting respect (occasionally) from car drivers. Having other big bike riders become instant friends...well except for some Harley riders (I think they are jealous).

Enjoy smile.png

Yup, you must be right, we are too jealousclap2.gif

Well, as a Honda VTX1800 owner all I can say is......welcome to the other side. thumbsup.gif

You are now in the small privileged group of Metric cruiser riders who know the pleasure of having a big ballsy powerhouse underneath you.

The pleasure extends to riding in a comfortable position. Never being short of power to overtake. Getting respect (occasionally) from car drivers. Having other big bike riders become instant friends...well except for some Harley riders (I think they are jealous).

Enjoy smile.png

So, what makes the Harley a better bike then? Tell me..

Enjoy smile.png

Well its the vibrations init. I love watching harleys at traffic lights the whole bike shaking like ab excited small dog waiting for a bone:p

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Enjoy smile.png

Please do not put words in my mouth. I did not say that Harleys were better than any other bike, why be so defensive?

I do not look down at or verbally abuse people who do not own a Harley. I don't give a rat's ass what kind of bike others ride as it's their choice just as it's my choice to ride what I ride. I grew up around Harleys and so I have a personal preference to them, it's as simple as that. I like the looks of the OP's Roadstar 1700 and I'm sure he's as proud of it as anyone else who loves their bikes and loves to ride. I would be happy to ride with him anywhere in Thailand as long as he didn't have an emotional hang up with Harleys as you apparently have. I think you need to accept the fact that you can not judge a man by what he rides, but must judge the man as a man.

That's all I have to say on the matter so you can all write as you will, it's amusing to say the least.

Edited by hedonist44

Enjoy smile.png

I think some of the Harley riders don't understand you're just being mischievous :D

Seriously, if you were given the choice of a Harley or this bike, you would take the Harley or choose to not ride at all? I find that very hard to understand. Do you love riding nice bikes or love the (brand) image? Do you buy a bike to ride or do you prefer to be saluted by corrupt cops?

At least you're telling it like it is, most harley guys like to dress it up as something else so I applaud your honesty if nothing else.

You don't get it my man. My HD was sold after my son was born as we could not go touring on it any more, and riding a big touring HD in Pattaya is not fun as you are stuck in traffic all the time. In the end I only used it in the Pattaya area twice a week or so, so it had to go as I didn't buy it as a show-off "thing". (I have to admit that many HD riders in Pattaya seldom ride touring but are more "bar hopping on my HD types", but that's their business).

A Japanese cruiser don't appeal to me at all, sorry guys, I been a HD fan all my life: Love the sound and the simple engine and not too loud as many are in Thailand. In Japan they got very strict rules for exhaust level so all the HD's I seen here are pretty dimmed down but still no mistake that a HD is coming, which I find extremely cool.

Of all the bikes I owned during app. 30 years (on/off) MC riding (Jap-Italien-US bikes), my last HD was my nicest ever but the Guzzi 850 Le Mans 2 was cool too, but I was young then.

Edited by guzzi850m2

What makes an original Rolex better than a fake Rolex? They both look shiny and tell the time....

Not really the same thing though is it? A more accurate analogy would be to compare a Rolex to a Blancpain or a Breguet. One is well known by your average Somchai as 'the best', the other is less well known but of equal or (arguably) superior quality.

Edited by JonnyF

You don't get it my man. My HD was sold after my son was born as we could not go touring on it any more, and riding a big touring HD in Pattaya is not fun as you are stuck in traffic all the time. In the end I only used it in the Pattaya area twice a week or so, so it had to go as I didn't buy it as a show-off "thing". (I have to admit that many HD riders in Pattaya seldom ride touring but are more "bar hopping on my HD types", but that's their business).

A Japanese cruiser don't appeal to me at all, sorry guys, I been a HD fan all my life: Love the sound and the simple engine and not too loud as many are in Thailand. In Japan they got very strict rules for exhaust level so all the HD's I seen here are pretty dimmed down but still no mistake that a HD is coming, which I find extremely cool.

Of all the bikes I owned during app. 30 years (on/off) MC riding (Jap-Italien-US bikes), my last HD was my nicest ever but the Guzzi 850 Le Mans 2 was cool too, but I was young then.

Cool, it didn't come across like that in the previous post but I can understand that... I think the Pattaya/Phuket bar hoppers we all know and love may have different motives but it's a free world (kind of...) so they can ride what they like.

• Like 1

Enjoy smile.png

I think some of the Harley riders don't understand you're just being mischievous biggrin.png

dam_n, busted!

I've ridden Harley's. Apart from the crazy prices for bikes, parts and accessories there is nothing I'd consider wrong with them.

I just prefer what I got.

Very good braking for the weight of it.

First press of the starter starting every time.

Reasonably good handling on the move.

Comfortable to ride.

And it's only one of a handful in LOS, so it's cool to have something different. There are 2 others in Pattaya. The bike adjuster (Fitter?) up past Shell on Pattaya Tai has a black one done as a bagger and the custom bike shop Thepprisit Rd has one for sale.

Road Star vs. Fat Boy Comparo

"If we had to spend our own cash, for $10,699 we'll take the Yamaha, thank you. It's a torque monster that makes for a great all-day cruiser as well as a bit of a hooligan bike with the appropriate lose nut sitting in the saddle."

http://www.motorcycl...paro-15646.html

This isolated quote is a bit misleading. The writer does say that if cost were no issue he'd choose the Harley over the Yamaha. And then there's the fact that the dateline is May 17, 2000, so I don't know how relevant this is to today's bikes. But anyway, all that matters is that you're happy with your new ride.

Have nothing against Harley bikes or the people who run them;-) Have a lot of friends running Harly in Thailand and Norway.

But being a bit "frustrated" when comments like "nice bike, but it's not a Harley"?

Who said that everyone has to drive a heavy Harley if it wants a heavy Cruiser?

Had I wanted a Harley, I bay one. It's that easy;-)

Personally I think a Road Star is more comfortable and a nicer bike to look at. More horses and much better torque.

I do not care what other people are running, as long as you love what you have. Anyone who runs with 2 wheels are brothers in my eyes.

Mutual respect is whether you are a biker or not ... Remember it!

post-84957-0-43853300-1345090133_thumb.j

Have nothing against Harley bikes or the people who run them;-) Have a lot of friends running Harly in Thailand and Norway.

But being a bit "frustrated" when comments like "nice bike, but it's not a Harley"?

Personally I think a Road Star is more comfortable and a nicer bike to look at. More horses and much better torque.

I do not care what other people are running, as long as you love what you have. Anyone who runs with 2 wheels are brothers in my eyes.

Ignore the haters and enjoy your new bike.

Ignore the haters and enjoy your new bike.

I do mate... I dolaugh.png

Congrats on the ride. Looks real nice.

Congrats on the ride. Looks real nice.

Cheers Travelmate, hopefully it will look a bit better after I ad a new seat and new air filter cover I just order from the US....

post-84957-0-92567000-1345117654_thumb.j

post-84957-0-24907300-1345117665_thumb.j

Edited by dagling

hmm, much money for a bike with fake red plates and no book...do you really believe, you will receive a book in this life?

Ahh sorry, I read you don't care about illegal or not.

Hopefully, you will never get involved in a serious accident...

But maybe no problem...I am 100% sure, your insurance, if you have any, will be very happy to cover any damages,

caused by your illegal bike..thumbsup.gif

I seen a lot of HD's here in Japan, I wonder whywink.png

Maybe the same reason, as in Pattaya?

Annoying loud Harleys/Yammies/Honda Shadows/whatever, driven by aged Farangs as a "Penis enlargement"

Having a bad day?

Leave Dagling alone!

He bought a bike and whatever it is, it is his decision and life and risk.

Nice bike man. I hope you will ride it long years with lots of fun.

And, yes, i know Isaan and there no police even dare to stop you. Besides, they are very nice there even if they let you stop.

So, you might not need any green book but if you want to sell it in the future with strict rules imposed on imported bikes nowadays, you have to get it soon.

good rides.

Leave Dagling alone!

He bought a bike and whatever it is, it is his decision and life and risk.

Nice bike man. I hope you will ride it long years with lots of fun.

And, yes, i know Isaan and there no police even dare to stop you. Besides, they are very nice there even if they let you stop.

So, you might not need any green book but if you want to sell it in the future with strict rules imposed on imported bikes nowadays, you have to get it soon.

good rides.

HEAR HEAR..biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi dagling,

really beautiful bike. I love it and if I find a Roadstar 1600/1700 cc in this excellent condition, I´ll buy it.

Believe me, I buy it only with a Green Book, cause when I´m old and grey-haired and not strong

enough to ride this beauty, I´ll sell it to another Roadstar or HD lover. To sell with a Green Book is more

easier. If you could afford a HD, why don´t afford a Green Book. Short thinking?! O.K. we are in

LOS, so every day we were born new and forgot everything happened before in our life. Do not think,

just ride? No problem!

A HD owner will never be jealous of a Roadstar 1700 owner and a Roadstar 1700 owner will never

be jealous of a HD owner. Guys who ride these bikes should be men and not women. Only a woman

is jealous of her girlfriend, because she bought a new Louis Vuitton.

Ride what you like and be happy and buy a new LV for your lady/wife. Her girlfriends boy/husband is

maybe a HD man. Hahaha.

There is one thing about driving illegal:

and that is that you are always susceptible to extortion.

If i had some beers, i will just pay whatever i've been charged for,

if i know i'm untouchable, i will go all the way to court if some police try get my money

Yes poanoi, I am with you.

But dagling "saved" about 80.000 Baht and he told us, that the police take 200,- Baht and a smile.

For 80.000 Baht they must stop him 400 times.

Or is it possible, that they took one day the whole bike and dagling has to buy a new one with a Green Book?