Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

On the contrary, it shows he puts public safety ahead of his outreach activity.

I commend Dr. Thaksin for his consideration of the safety of others.

Thaksin lost face big time, plain and simple and I am loving it! He is a criminal, convicted while his brother in law was PM and under a Constitution that came forth through a Referendum. Shame so many people in Thailand are blinded by this creep and his dynasty.

The big difference for him is that in the US he cannot send his thugs to attack his opponents and silence them.

Closing their eyes does not make them blind...

they are choosing to ignore in the vain hopes that they will benefit somehow.

Unfortunately for them ( and the rest who dont want any part of the murder, rob, repeat programme) no one will ever benefit that has not already done so on numerous occasions.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's obvious that Thaksin was opposed by significant numbers of American Thais during his recent attempt to build influence among the overseas Thai community in the USA.

I don't know why the American authorities let him in.

One thing I do know, however, is that I am enjoying his obvious discomfiture, just as I am enjoying the discomfiture of various lickspittle Thaksinistas like GK and PPD. It feels......good.

I am a little confused. what is a significant number of American Thais? Reports have it that there were approximately 2,000 people at the demo which consisted of people of Thais origin and Americans. I also noticed Thais with red wigs, and red shirts in the mix. So lets take out the American husbands and redshirts and say generously 1,500 is the significant number. What percentage of American Thais does this number represent. What percentage does it take to make it significant. Does this significant number of 1,500 American/Thais represent 70, 80, 90% of the population? I guess that would make it significant. If those 1,500 represnted less than 50% of the population then that would hardly be significant.

yeah, maybe try answering my question instead skywalker69, instead of posting the video of red shirts getting money for the trip to bangkok.

i know you're probably of the opinion that they value their lives less than 2000 baht or whatever it was and only went to bangkok to get their expense money.

It really doesn't matter of it was 20 or 20 million people who were paid to vote - it's against the law.

I wouldn't imagine that the envelopes in the video contained any small print to the effect that the receiver is not contractually obliged to vote PTP - would you?

Yep.

And I don't ask, they tell, it's very common talk, gossip, he paid this etc ..... if you are unaware of this, then you are unaware of this.

i'm not unaware of the existence of vote buying and i'm not denying that it happens.

but your answer was "Practically every Thai national I know, have spoken to or seen"

which means you think (practically) every thai national gets paid cash to vote, and it's hyperbolic bs.

So, you are aware of the existence of vote buying then and you don't deny it happens.

For you, as a farang, who cannot vote or have any involvement in the electoral system, to be aware of it, must mean that it is pretty blatantly obvious, doesn't it.

And please, don't try to infer that when I say 'every Thai national I know' it means 'every Thai national'

Free and Democratic elections, again, my backside.

From a Thai reporter working for The Nation covering last year's elections:

All talks about vote buying not so intense in this election have proved premature. Many reports say it's practically raining money now.

https://twitter.com/...276620096241664

How much impact this "raining money" did have on the election results, we will never be able to determine. But I personally don't doubt it had a very significant impact indeed.

This mob rule looks bad. Especially since they claim to be a "peoples alliance for democracy."

Makes Thailand look like just another corrupt banana republic.

Why don't the yellow shirts form a political party and put their case to a fair vote with elections scrutinized by unbiased observers?

This mob rule looks bad. Especially since they claim to be a "peoples alliance for democracy."

Why don't the yellow shirts form a political party and put their case to a fair vote with elections scrutinized by unbiased observers?

You might want to google banana republic. Seems Thailand fits the bill

"This mob rule" - are you talking about the protests in the US? Are any of the protesters wearing yellow or claiming to be PAD? Can't ordinary people protest against the presence of a fugitive criminal without joining PAD?

"This mob rule" - are you talking about the protests in the US? Are any of the protesters wearing yellow or claiming to be PAD? Can't ordinary people protest against the presence of a fugitive criminal without joining PAD?

Give us a break.They may not all be members of PAD but almost certainly they are all yellow shirt sympathisers and members of the (emigre) Sino-Thai middle class which has cast its lot in with the unelected elites, and regards the Thai majority as "uneducate" people.

BANGKOK — Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been visiting the United States on his first trip to the country since he was ousted in a coup in 2006.

His opponents have been demanding Washington revoke his visa and extradite the former leader to Thailand, where he faces jail time for conflict of interest charges from his time as leader.

The opposition Democrats have urged the Thai government to push the United States, a close ally of Thailand, for his arrest and extradition. On Friday, a group of about 200 protesters gathered outside the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok making the same demand......

Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee says the government has no plans to seek Thaksin’s extradition.

“His trip to the United States is a private visit. And, we were never, the Thai government was never informed, nor were we aware of his program. As for his travels abroad, the Thai government, we don’t have a policy of restricting his traveling abroad.”

http://www.voanews.c...ce/1485791.html

"we were never" and "nor were we aware"

Perhaps the Foreign Ministry might care to talk, to their former boss (and now Thaksin's lawyer again) Noppadon Pattama, who announced a month ago that his master had obtained a U.S.-visa ?

Don't these people read the local newspapers (The Nation on 6th July), or talk to each other, before they make these ridiculous statements ? wink.png

Perhaps they should start reading ThaiVisa instead ! laugh.png

Yes, it's been known for weeks... but yet, Yingluck's government doesn't know about it.

In essence, she's saying she doesn't communicate with him for weeks on end and Thaksin's cousin, The Foreign Minister, doesn't talk to him, either.

yeah right...

cutthecrap.jpg

Edited by Buchholz

So Mob Rule only looks good/Is acceptable when its red in colour and within the confines of Thailand... gotcha, thanks for clearing that up guys! :)

Give us a break.They may not all be members of PAD but almost certainly they are all yellow shirt sympathisers and members of the (emigre) Sino-Thai middle class which has cast its lot in with the unelected elites, and regards the Thai majority as "uneducate" people.

Gee, who would have guessed that? BTW you forgot to use "oppressors" and "class enemies."

• Like 2

Is there any evidence, apart from some of the protesters wearing a yellow shirt, that these protests in America were organised by the PAD, which these days I'd view nowadays as a small pressure-group with very little influence ?

It's also worth noting that, unlike the UDD/DAAD who appear to be the in-house pressure-group of an existing political-party (the PTP), the PAD did in fact form their own political-party (the New Politics Party), which however boycotted the 2011-election.

Perhaps the Red-Shirts may lose eventually confidence in the PTP, as their performance continues to disappoint, and follow the PAD's example, I personally would love to see a true broadly-based political-party, under new leadership, it might act as a 'ginger-group' to help keep the mainstream politicians more honest in delivering their false-promises !

Fair elections with unbiased scrutinisers would also be a step forward, mysteriously the current parties somehow fail to see the need for this, and keep waving the nationalist flag ! laugh.png

Bananas do indeed grow well here, some might well want a republic, we can only hope that mob-rule moderates and the fragile democracy slowly gains strength. wai.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Very ironic, that this man has a doctorate in criminal justice. May have helped him to evade the law for so long. If he was even half a man, he would return to Thailand, serve his two years in jail (if that), and return to public life, fully vindicated. No, instead this pussy chooses to live in exile, rather than face the piper. What a wimp. What a lightweight. What a lousy example for the Thai people. What a terrible example for the world to see.

I'm afraid not. Were Thaksin to return he would be incarcerated as the time limit for appeal has expired. Outstanding charges would then be heard against him, and there are quite a few waiting, and others such as bribery of the court hearing the land deal case could also be lodged. Unless he gets a complete amnesty, he faces years of trials, and many more of gaol time. Tough TIT.

No if he would be a man, he would arrive in Chang Mai Airport, pass the Immigration without arrest, than travel to Bangkok. The police will not arrest him with his brother in law in power. If some confused policeman tries it, than he gets a bloody nose from his body guards and get arrested later.

Than travel to Bangkok and make some jokes about the courts, or even dissolve them. A real man like Fidel Castro would do that (not that I think Fidels politic is that great but at least he isn't a coward).

Well, I suspect that if Fidel was facing arrest, he would run for the hills! He is a big man as long as he has his billions, and controls all of his people with a nearly iron fist. When is the last time you were in Cuba? The situation there is a horrific as ever. Doctors and Civil Engineers are earning $40 per month. Nobody has enough to eat. They have not had basics like aspirins, vitamins, etc., there for decades. The place is a total disaster, and a total failure in experimental communism. Fidel, Raul, and all of the top generals are multi-billionaires. So, please do not hold this human swine out as an example. He is no better than Thaksin, and actually quite a bit worse. Thaksin never subjected his people to the conditions this cockroach subjected the Cuban people to.

Well, I suspect that if Fidel was facing arrest, he would run for the hills! He is a big man as long as he has his billions, and controls all of his people with a nearly iron fist. When is the last time you were in Cuba? The situation there is a horrific as ever. Doctors and Civil Engineers are earning $40 per month. Nobody has enough to eat. They have not had basics like aspirins, vitamins, etc., there for decades. The place is a total disaster, and a total failure in experimental communism. Fidel, Raul, and all of the top generals are multi-billionaires. So, please do not hold this human swine out as an example. He is no better than Thaksin, and actually quite a bit worse. Thaksin never subjected his people to the conditions this cockroach subjected the Cuban people to.

... Yet

Gee, who would have guessed that? BTW you forgot to use "oppressors" and "class enemies."

Clearly not you given your disingenuous or possibly just rather ill informed earlier post.

I'm not a Marxist and feel no need to use their jargon.

For more serious minded members there are some interesting clips of the recent meeting (Thitinan, Baker et al) at the FCCT in which the motivation of the Sino Thai middle class was discussed.If anybody can find them I'm sure they would be of general interest.

Edited by jayboy

The fact remains that Taksin gained power through the 'fairest' elections Thais had ever experienced.

Democracy was in its infancy and needed maturation time ... the majority had spoken , yes , even them stupid peasants in darkest Issan ....

It was the Yellow Shirts who derailed democracy , with leaders who we all know were, and still are, as every bit as corrupt as the Taksin they denounced. They were outraged that these peasants could even have a voice. So they basically seized power.

To me , unconcerned as to which snout is at the trough , there is a clear wrong in the actions of the Yellow Shirts.

It must also appear that way to the majority of Thais , since the MAJORITY resoundingly voted the Red Shirts back into power yet again.

Its time the minority had a rest , and let the democratically elected government govern.

Its time they started actively canvassing the people , constructing new policies that include the rural working classes , and preparing for the next elections as we would expect in any democracy , not threatening further civil disruption.

As for the protests in America , they can protest all they like....

Good observations. Just a different kind of corruption. The fact is, that Thaksin was an anti status-quo as anything Thailand has ever seen. That upset alot of millionaires. Yes, he was a corrupt pig, but what about all the others? The people who say Abhisit was a man of honor forget that he was owned and controlled by the Army. So, what is the difference? A bit like the difference between Romney and Obama. Two bought and paid for whores. Nothing more.

• Like 2

And the PAD are Anti american now believing in a global conspiracy to take over Thailand.

If you don't believe check out ASTV.

Did anyone tell them.

Here we have the yellow "rent a mob."

No reconciliation then.

There seems to be more support in LA than in Bangkok

Thaksin has sold his own sister and bargained with his sworn enemies to get what he wants. He has sold out Thailand and the Thai people to foriegn capitalist interests for the international support hes getting.

Where's the evidence?

On ASTV?

Own judgment and common sense based on available information. Ever heard of that?

So basically with no evidence provided, 100% Supposition backed up by your "own judgement and common sense".

What mob rule? It was verbal. Thaksin's car chose not to stay. It wasn't slammed with cement cinder blocks like happened to a different individual in Bangkok. There was no attempt to forcibly drag him from his car like happened to a different individual in Pattaya. No M-79 grenade launchers, no ping-pong bombs, etc.

As for what makes Thailand look like a banana republic, I would have thought the former Prime Minister traipsing around the country to speak to audiences of a couple dozen in sleazy food dens and trying to pass it off as some sort of Grand Victory Tour would reflect the banana republic nature much more.

I feel the need to modify my above comments of "it was verbal" to also include "body language" as there was one protester who showed the bottom of their foot to Thaksin's entourage.

still no grenade launchers or cement cinder blocks observed.

What a lot of you may not realize, when a person, in this case Thaksin, goes to the temple to ask for blessings, he or she is asked to repeat the promise to not: 1. Kill or harm anyone. 2. Not to steal anything. 3. Not to commit sexual misconduct. 4. Not to lie.. 5. Not to drink or take drugs.

Everytime a blessing is conferred.. biggrin.png

And I'm sure, Thaksin would proudly agree to this blessing. laugh.png

But wouldn't that exclude a significant percentage of the Thai population?

What mob rule? It was verbal. Thaksin's car chose not to stay. It wasn't slammed with cement cinder blocks like happened to a different individual in Bangkok. There was no attempt to forcibly drag him from his car like happened to a different individual in Pattaya. No M-79 grenade launchers, no ping-pong bombs, etc.

As for what makes Thailand look like a banana republic, I would have thought the former Prime Minister traipsing around the country to speak to audiences of a couple dozen in sleazy food dens and trying to pass it off as some sort of Grand Victory Tour would reflect the banana republic nature much more.

I feel the need to modify my above comments of "it was verbal" to also include "body language" as there was one protester who showed the bottom of their foot to Thaksin's entourage.

"still no grenade launchers or cement cinder blocks observed" - or mentioned - so why do you feel the need to do so?

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

Which underlines the difference between a free and democratic country and one that is not - and probably won't be for at least another two generations..

So, you are inferring that if LAX was taken over, all will be OK and the cops would just look on? I wouldn't offer up America as a perfect model for democracy. It wasn't that long ago the the National Guard were in the streets shooting protesting students, and Black Americans ( sorry, from Oz so apologise if my PC isn't so good), who had a different point of view than the government of the day.

BANGKOK — Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been visiting the United States on his first trip to the country since he was ousted in a coup in 2006.

His opponents have been demanding Washington revoke his visa and extradite the former leader to Thailand, where he faces jail time for conflict of interest charges from his time as leader.

The opposition Democrats have urged the Thai government to push the United States, a close ally of Thailand, for his arrest and extradition. On Friday, a group of about 200 protesters gathered outside the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok making the same demand......

Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee says the government has no plans to seek Thaksin’s extradition.

“His trip to the United States is a private visit. And, we were never, the Thai government was never informed, nor were we aware of his program. As for his travels abroad, the Thai government, we don’t have a policy of restricting his traveling abroad.”

The article also has Thai Foreign Ministry Spokesman Sek Wannamethee laughably claiming the government was not informed of Thaksin's trip to the USA.

bs.jpg

It's possible I suppose.

He would have told his little sister but maybe she hasn't been in touch with any of her government colleagues since then.

She is a very busy woman after all.

Edited by bigbamboo

"still no grenade launchers or cement cinder blocks observed" - or mentioned - so why do you feel the need to do so?

To highlight what a true "mob rule" is and isn't.

There's a thought. That's probably too much like hard work.

The article also has Thai Foreign Ministry Spokesman Sek Wannamethee laughably claiming the government was not informed of Thaksin's trip to the USA.

bs.jpg

It's possible I suppose.

He would have told his little sister but maybe she hasn't been in touch with any of her government colleagues since then.

She is a very busy woman after all.

yes, she is

Mob rule an interesting commet on what looks like fairly peaceful demonstration but then again a red supporter only has his on to compare to. There happens to be a right to peaceful demonstration in the US these people appear to be doing that, as the reds didn't.