Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

Rowdy rally forces Thaksin to cancel meeting in LA

THE NATION

LOS ANGELES: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was forced to cancel an appearance at a red-shirt gathering in Los Angeles on Sunday by a rally attended by hundreds of protesters, including yellow shirts.

The fugitive ex-premier is travelling around the US after successfully obtaining a visitor's visa.

Thai supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have staged protests in San Francisco, New York City and Houston, when he visited red-shirt admirers.

In Los Angeles, the former PM was scheduled to hold "An Easy Talk with Thaksin" for local media and red-shirt supporters at the Thailand Plaza food court on Hollywood Street.

However, PAD followers from the city and as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado assembled on both sides of the street in front of the venue. They held up signs with malicious messages like "Thug-sin, go to hell, go to jail", "Convicted fugitive", and "Wanted criminal". Some also screamed insults.

The yellow shirts were joined by many other Americans at their rally against Thaksin.

A report by pro-yellow ASTV Manager Online said that at one point the crowd swelled to 2,000, but there was no independent source confirming of the size of the turnout.

Some red shirts, including leader Daranee Kritboonyalai, who is wanted in connection with the 2010 unrest and riots in Thailand, were seen nearby but no clashes were reported.

The protest went on for hours. At about 9pm, Sompong Amornwiwat, a key figure from the ruling Pheu Thai Party and a close Thaksin aide, said at the red-shirt event that the former PM would not attend due to security reasons, on advice from local police, according to the Siam Town US news website.

Thaksin, who fled abroad in late 2008 to avoid a two-year jail term for a land deal ruled to be an abuse of power, phoned in to apologise for failing to speak in person. He said he could not enter the venue due to the big group of picketers outside.

The ex-leader is expected to stay in the US for a week and hold talks with Thai expatriates and some American politicians, his legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has said.

Suriyasai Katasila, coordinator of the Green Politics Group and a key figure in the yellow-shirt movement, praised the protesters yesterday, saying they served not only to enact "social punishment" on the wanted ex-leader but also to humiliate the US authorities for slighting their extradition treaty with Thailand.

"There will be more and more of these social punishment measures until Thaksin enters the judicial process. I thank the Thais in the US for showing their power so that the world will know the truth," Suriyasai said.

"There are attempts to distort the facts by saying that Thaksin faces political cases although in fact he committed criminal offences," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-14

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Charnchai instead proposed four ways of dealing with hate speech. They include introducing counter-speech that renders hate speech ineffectual, and seeking to transform producers of hate speech by engaging them in conversation or dialogue." Mobs of chanting protestors can be somewhat difficult to engage....

Some red shirts, including leader Daranee Kritboonyalai, who is wanted in connection with the 2010 unrest and riots in Thailand, were seen nearby

No Red Shirt Rally is complete without Thai Red Hair and elite fruitcake Daranee, who led the Red Shirts down Hollywood Boulevard. Step out into the traffic some more. :rolleyes:

P12505473-19.jpg

304989_274728435973346_1342252980_n.jpg

• Like 2

At about 9pm, Sompong Amornwiwat, a key figure from the ruling Pheu Thai Party and a close Thaksin aide, said at the red-shirt event that the former PM would not attend

Samak's Justice Minister and Currently Banned From Politics For Electoral Fraud Former People Power Party MP Sompong, along with Daranee again, after getting re-wigged into a Red, white, and blue number, on the Red USA stage in L.A.

OakFaceBook1.jpg

Asia Pacific News

http://apacnews.net/news/?p=29461

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

No.

Highly unlikely.

Yes, Thailand has less free speech than USA.

• Like 1

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

Yes, freedom of assembly is a terrible thing. Imagine what would happen here if a rowdy crowd gathered in one place for a rally or to offer moral support!

• Like 1

Wonder how our forum Red cheerleaders are feeling after reading this. I mean, the Thai community in the US clearly denounces corrupt and convicted politicians on the run! Maybe they haven't been indoctrinated by the Red media and have a more balanced and globally orientated opinion!

They are the ones complaining bitterly about the yellow shirts closing down airports in the thread coffee1.gif

Which US fugitive is planning to visit Thailand?

Have a stroll down walking street in Pattaya or come visit Phuket, you are bound to met a few.

Difference hough, is that the fugitives in Thailand were not convicted in a politically influenced trial, but were nailed for things like pedophilia, theft, and violent crime.

• Like 1

Yes, freedom of assembly is a terrible thing. Imagine what would happen here if a rowdy crowd gathered in one place for a rally or to offer moral support!

Much would depend on whether the rowdy crowd brought their guns, grenade launchers and Molotov cocktails.

Sounds like a typical political event in the USA. whistling.gif

I think it's an inspired move; the Great Coward taking his infamous disappearing act on tour. Wonderful.

Where is the next destination he'll be showing his amazing avoidance skills? (Or not, as it were)

I think if he went to the Falklands, the penguins would throw rocks at him.

• Like 2

I think it's an inspired move; the Great Coward taking his infamous disappearing act on tour. Wonderful.

Where is the next destination he'll be showing his amazing avoidance skills? (Or not, as it were)

On the contrary, it shows he puts public safety ahead of his outreach activity.

I commend Dr. Thaksin for his consideration of the safety of others.

I think if he went to the Falklands, the penguins would throw rocks at him.

Your attempt at a swipe fails as penguins have wings adapted for swimming. The wings are not capable of throwing anything.

Sadly the penguin population is endangered due to overfishing by the local and foreign fisheries.

Interesting that the world at large is aware of the Thaksin crime syndication yet majority of Thai's can't see it... rolleyes.gif

If you are comparing the actions of "PAD followers from the city and as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado assembled on both sides of the street in front of the venue." as the "world at large" then you might have a point. The fact is that as it was only a couple of hundred noisy thais that stopped one meeting from going ahead in LA, I think there's a way to go yet before you convince the "world at large" of the existence of a "Thaksin crime syndication".

Just out of interest for those of you who are constantly pointing out the small venues and numbers attending Dr.Thaksins meetings in this "most Thai" of cities in America with the "biggest concentration of Thais outside Thailand" doesn't it strike you as odd that the most anti-Thaksin support you get is a couple of hundred Thais (with a fair sprinkling of foreigner amongst them) and even then had to get them from as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado ?

Probably not, bring on more pictures and funny captions..................coffee1.gif

• Like 1