Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"This mob rule" - are you talking about the protests in the US? Are any of the protesters wearing yellow or claiming to be PAD? Can't ordinary people protest against the presence of a fugitive criminal without joining PAD?

Give us a break.They may not all be members of PAD but almost certainly they are all yellow shirt sympathisers and members of the (emigre) Sino-Thai middle class which has cast its lot in with the unelected elites, and regards the Thai majority as "uneducate" people.

No you haven't got it quite right.Most Thais in the US are middle class but only a minority are politicised.For reasons already discussed the Anti Thaksin faction there would have much more support than the redshirts.

Incidentally given the eclipse of PAD and the yellow shirts I'm not sure it's helpful to retain those labels to describe those who detest Thaksin.As I have always conceded there are se very honourable people in that grouping.

You have always conceded - since yesterday.

• Like 2

Yellow Shirts Protest Former PM’s Presence in LA

August 16, 2012

A protest by Yellow Shirt Thai expats in Los Angeles forced former PM Thaksin Shinawatra to cancel a public speech to Red Shirt supporters on the eve of the Queen’s birthday. Thaksin has been visiting the U.S. for about a week. On August 14, a spokesman for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, law advisor Noppadon Pattama, said that Thaksin had canceled a public speech in LA because he wanted to avoid any trouble on the Queen’s birthday on August 12.

In honor of the Queen, Thaksin did not want any public conflicts between his Red Shirt supporters and the anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy. Noppadon said Thaksin took the advice of the Los Angeles police and avoided Red Shirt social gatherings in the city. According to a media report, a crowd of 2,000 Yellow Shirt protesters had gathered outside the Thailand Plaza on LA’s Hollywood Boulevard, where Thaksin was to give a public speech.

Continues:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/08/16/yellow-shirts-protest-former-pm%E2%80%99s-presence-in-la/

Ah well, another day for our intrepid tourist, another town, another Thai eatery, another protest opposing him.

Next up for Thaksin and his foes is the Galae Thai Restaurant and Sushi Bar in a suburban strip mall in Alexandria, Virginia where he is scheduled to speak and which protesters have shown up..

Perhaps he would get a larger audience if he threw an all you can eat barbecue at the Astrodome?

Free bags of human faeces for good measure

At least you acknowledge the Dr. Thaksin's enduring popularity with many Thais. Considering the Thai population is distributed over large areas in the USA, I am impressed that he can gather the numbers he does. The attendees all seem to be of Thai origin. Quite different than the protestors who seem to be include the usual "oh good a protest, I want to join" non Thai origin collective,

Thais that are attending the meet and greet have a strong interest in Mr. Thaksin. It is much more difficult to attend an event where one is harrassed, then it is to go and do the harassing.

I think some people in TVF are jealous of the magnetic charm of the delightful engaging Dr. Thaksin. It must distress them so, to see how he is able to touch the hearts of so many and elicit the genuine love and admiration of so many Thais. Let the bells of freedom ring, and allow the peoples hearts to soar with joy as their champion of an elected government carries on in his tough struggle against the military and rentrenched elites' minions.

The rest of your post, I was moved to tears.

Seems like both author and readers alike are being moved to reach for the Kleenex.

My Sympathy-O-Meter just vomited.

Wrong Geri.

Read before you speak please.

"The yellow shirts were joined by many other Americans at their rally against Thaksin."

Loving it. Democracy at work. The convicted fugitive criminal being shut down by open thinking thais and supporters and the American police...Democracy rooting out evil and with not a single person hurt. Compare to said convicted crim...jeez sick of going there.

Way to go middle America Thai's and friends...you are destroying him in the eyes of the world. Loving it.

You would think with all those smart people there someone would have proof read the banner.

You would think with all those smart people there someone would have proof read the banner.

Ahhh yes the 's' on return. Well spotted

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Ahhh yes the 's' on return. Well spotted

sent from my Wellcom A90+

But they are " velly educate peeple" as we know from previous placards held by their Bangkok brothers in arms.

• Like 1

No you completely miss the point which is that these people constantly denigrate rural Thais for their ignorance but are often unable to string together a simple English sentence themselves.It's nothing to do with being pedantic.It's simply exposing their arrogance and hypocrisy.

Who are "these people"?

Yellow Shirts Protest Former PM’s Presence in LA

August 16, 2012

A protest by Yellow Shirt Thai expats in Los Angeles forced former PM Thaksin Shinawatra to cancel a public speech to Red Shirt supporters on the eve of the Queen’s birthday. Thaksin has been visiting the U.S. for about a week. On August 14, a spokesman for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, law advisor Noppadon Pattama, said that Thaksin had canceled a public speech in LA because he wanted to avoid any trouble on the Queen’s birthday on August 12.

In honor of the Queen, Thaksin did not want any public conflicts between his Red Shirt supporters and the anti-Thaksin People’s Alliance for Democracy. Noppadon said Thaksin took the advice of the Los Angeles police and avoided Red Shirt social gatherings in the city. According to a media report, a crowd of 2,000 Yellow Shirt protesters had gathered outside the Thailand Plaza on LA’s Hollywood Boulevard, where Thaksin was to give a public speech.

Continues:

http://www.pattayada...presence-in-la/

"public speech"

Just a very minor point, but can a private-meeting with a $200-per-head price-tag, really qualify as a public speech ? Surely this was a private, possibly fund-raising, meeting ?

Wonder who the beneficiary of this fund-raising was, hopefully an appropriate charity, and that the disappointed fans got a refund after the speaker cancelled at very-short notice !

The rich reds who attended, dressed in their finery for their own personal photo-op with 'the Hero of the Grass-Roots", surely deserve an apology and their money back ! wink.png

No you completely miss the point which is that these people constantly denigrate rural Thais for their ignorance but are often unable to string together a simple English sentence themselves.It's nothing to do with being pedantic.It's simply exposing their arrogance and hypocrisy.

Aren't you now exposing your own arrogance and hypocrisy by assuming that these people are individuals who denigrate rural Thais?

Maybe these people WHERE rural Thais before they left to the US? Or is that not possible?

Edited by Nickymaster

An alternative explanation is that these patriots, who exercised their democratic-right to peacefully show their disapproval of the visiting 'Hero of the Grass-Roots', are themselves also normal/poor Thais who, given the chance to live & work in a truly free country, have demonstrated that they can be successful when given the chance.

Neither arrogant nor hypocritical, but simply no-longer repressed by the Thai-system which holds the rural poor down, back home !

Good for them ! clap2.gif

• Like 1

I don't want to personalise this grammar issue.Nor is an errant 's' significant in itself.The only point is that those who constantly mock their fellow countrymen for their stupidity and ignorance should take the time to ensure they - with immensely greater advantages in life - cannot be charged with hypocrisy.

The USA lost the argument regarding the granting of a visa to the fugitive Thaksin when trying to justify it as a non political situation ( and voiced from their Bangkok embassies consul of all people )

The infamous Victor has already been mentioned and most definitely they should do what decency and supposed respect of the two countries extradition agreements was and is in place for regarding all wanted criminals / fugitives of law and reciprocate accordingly.

Then again in this case the USA want something only the government ( translate to Shinwatara and especially the fugitive granted a visa Thaksin the ghost PM of Thailand )

It would be interesting to see what would happen should the government treat the UDD as they would / do if anyone else of unprivilidged were to commit or indeed already be incarcerated for crimes against not only the governmental powers that be and the establishment, untouchable Pooyai ect. but also those friendly or connected to them in some way.

The jails would become redundant overnight but thank whoever above on a higher plain, they most certainly would not.

Come the verdict next week, if, as it should be decided based on the principles of law in this country and neutrality ( blatantly guilty and actions videod to record their actions....bail withdrawn along with predictable appeals refused ) we should find out pretty quickly.

The government cannot keep the turning a blind eye to each and every situation and openly ignore the rights of the millions of law abiding citizens who are, and always do obey the rules of society as was / is written in the constitution...it doesn,t have to be this one for those who argue the latest one is not legal for whatever reasons, as the previous ones will I feel sure cover this quite clearly.

If they do then anarchy will eventually well and truly hit back with a vengeance and the horrific consequences that go with it when the hit-the-fan.gif

Loyalty regarding the UDD and their supporters is but a one way convenience and can only happen if it favours them.

marshbags.........A neutral colourless observer whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

With the amount of pro-and anti-Thaksin folks thus far showing up if they press ganged a couple of the local cops they could have a football match.

I've seen more participants at a " Stand Proud If You Love Denzel Washington" meeting of the local KKK. biggrin.png

• Like 1

With the amount of pro-and anti-Thaksin folks thus far showing up if they press ganged a couple of the local cops they could have a football match.

I've seen more participants at a " Stand Proud If You Love Denzel Washington" meeting of the local KKK. biggrin.png

cheesy.gif

Frankly, I found the videos of Thaksin's aborted visit to Thaitown from Youtube to be rather pathetic.

I almost felt sorry for the few people who had showed up.

With a population of over 100,00 expat Thais living in California, I would have thought that at least 5% could have shown up to greet the Dearwub.png Leader in his farewell tour.

Instead, I was treated to a vision of a few dozen enthusiastic red-shirt fans patiently waiting coffee1.gif for their hero's arrival while a similar number of yellow loyalists chanted slogans and waved

placards spamsign.gif decrying him and his presence in the United States.

Could it be possible that Sarah Palin is available to do lunch on Saturday?

Frankly, I found the videos of Thaksin's aborted visit to Thaitown from Youtube to be rather pathetic.

I almost felt sorry for the few people who had showed up.

With a population of over 100,00 expat Thais living in California, I would have thought that at least 5% could have shown up to greet the Dearwub.png Leader in his farewell tour.

Instead, I was treated to a vision of a few dozen enthusiastic red-shirt fans patiently waiting coffee1.gif for their hero's arrival while a similar number of yellow loyalists chanted slogans and waved

placards spamsign.gif decrying him and his presence in the United States.

Could it be possible that Sarah Palin is available to do lunch on Saturday?

That would be a perfect change of tact for the tour. ohmy.png

http://www.thedailys...alin-s-bus-tour

Use Sarah Palin's bus to travel through America spreading the word and meeting with American politicians and American business people.

Traveling down the highways, it would also be a perfect change of tact for the selection of his American Tour 2012 eating establishments.

He could change from the current Thai noodle shops to, in keeping with the bus theme,

American interstate highway truck stops.

Same fine dining and the meet-and-greet with the truckers would be good PR.

Edited by Buchholz

My Big Question: How much did Thaksin "donate" to BO's campaign to get a visa??? BO and Thaksin are birds of the same corrupt feather. As an American, I am ashamed this jackwagon was allowed in the US without being arrested and deported.

I seriously doubt Thaksin gave anything. As an Obama supporter of course I don't agree with everything that the government does under his administration. That's an unrealistic expectation of any president.

"an unrealistic expectation of any president"???? C'mon....I hate to be judgmental, but really, listen to what you're saying. A president of the USA not accepting donations....okay....I understand what you mean, not from a convicted despot, but, who will know? Most of the donations given to candidates in Ameriker are off the books anyway.....heard of superpacs, yet? SlowBama is as sleazy as the rest......do you think he really has the lower classes in mind? I don't. I know fer sure he is a corporate "feel good daddy" staus quo, empire building, puppet slave (no racism intended), JUST like the rest since time immortal. Grow your own!

• Like 1