Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This mob rule looks bad. Especially since they claim to be a "peoples alliance for democracy."

Makes Thailand look like just another corrupt banana republic.

Why don't the yellow shirts form a political party and put their case to a fair vote with elections scrutinized by unbiased observers?

There's a thought. That's probably too much like hard work.

To be fair the yellow shirt political party skipped the last elections because their party leaders decided to start a "Vote No" campaign so consequently being a "yellow shirt political party" member is a fairly stress free way of life, it's not as if you're going to be put in jail or anything...........................

If you don't like it prepare a credible manifesto and wait for the next general election.

A credible manifesto?

History has shown that the main voter base do not vote for a credible manifesto, they vote for pie in the sky promises and an envelope of cash.

What is the next PTP credible manifesto going to contain to beat the last one.... a free pony for all girls under fifteen?

Credible manifesto my backside.

Free pony for their backside!

This mob rule looks bad. Especially since they claim to be a "peoples alliance for democracy."

What mob rule? It was verbal. Thaksin's car chose not to stay. It wasn't slammed with cement cinder blocks like happened to a different individual in Bangkok. There was no attempt to forcibly drag him from his car like happened to a different individual in Pattaya. No M-79 grenade launchers, no ping-pong bombs, etc.

As for what makes Thailand look like a banana republic, I would have thought the former Prime Minister traipsing around the country to speak to audiences of a couple dozen in sleazy food dens and trying to pass it off as some sort of Grand Victory Tour would reflect the banana republic nature much more.

I feel the need to modify my above comments of "it was verbal" to also include "body language" as there was one protester who showed the bottom of their foot to Thaksin's entourage.

still no grenade launchers or cement cinder blocks observed.

Mob rule an interesting commet on what looks like fairly peaceful demonstration but then again a red supporter only has his on to compare to. There happens to be a right to peaceful demonstration in the US these people appear to be doing that, as the reds didn't.

Which explains why it is resented by some on the forum.

If you don't like it prepare a credible manifesto and wait for the next general election.

A credible manifesto?

History has shown that the main voter base do not vote for a credible manifesto, they vote for pie in the sky promises and an envelope of cash.

What is the next PTP credible manifesto going to contain to beat the last one.... a free pony for all girls under fifteen?

how many people do you think got envelopes of cash to vote ptp? i'm interested to hear your opinion of a figure.

Practically every Thai national I know, have spoken to or seen.

Yourself?

Exactly.

I have seen it both down here and in Chaingmai.

My wife turned down the 1,000 baht and got hassled for doing it.

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

Which underlines the difference between a free and democratic country and one that is not - and probably won't be for at least another two generations..

So, you are inferring that if LAX was taken over, all will be OK and the cops would just look on? I wouldn't offer up America as a perfect model for democracy. It wasn't that long ago the the National Guard were in the streets shooting protesting students, and Black Americans ( sorry, from Oz so apologise if my PC isn't so good), who had a different point of view than the government of the day.

"......sorry, from Oz so apologise if my PC isn't so good"

Nothing wrong with your computer.

Black Americans is OK, so is white. You used the word respectfully, just like black people in some parts use the word "whitey". Some prefer Native Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, European Americans etc, etc.

What mob rule? It was verbal. Thaksin's car chose not to stay. It wasn't slammed with cement cinder blocks like happened to a different individual in Bangkok. There was no attempt to forcibly drag him from his car like happened to a different individual in Pattaya. No M-79 grenade launchers, no ping-pong bombs, etc.

As for what makes Thailand look like a banana republic, I would have thought the former Prime Minister traipsing around the country to speak to audiences of a couple dozen in sleazy food dens and trying to pass it off as some sort of Grand Victory Tour would reflect the banana republic nature much more.

I feel the need to modify my above comments of "it was verbal" to also include "body language" as there was one protester who showed the bottom of their foot to Thaksin's entourage.

"still no grenade launchers or cement cinder blocks observed" - or mentioned - so why do you feel the need to do so?

I am a little confused about this clip. It is titled RED USA, and it shows a rowdy mob, people kicking out at the car, screaming abuse and holding placards "Thaskin Fugitive" I thought the reds were Thaskin supporters and not haters. Is this a Yellow ploy to shift blame for the mob mentality by Thais in the U.S onto the redshirts. I do not support either side but this really seems like a setup against the reds by the Yellows.

After his aborted appearance in Los Angeles, the Daily News has him flying back cross-country to Washington, DC... allegedly to meet American politicians.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5568676

Having moved on from Los Angeles, I'm curious as to just which American politician Thaksin met with yesterday.

In the ramshackle nature this disastrous adventure has become renowned for, the fugitive's normally well-oiled PR machine is herky-jerking right along with no media coverage, no photos, and no pronouncements.

Edited by Buchholz

A credible manifesto?

".... a free pony for all girls under fifteen?" I don't think so. While there is a market for this sort of entertainment, it is fairly limited (hopefully).

Quote:

Unquote.

I am a little confused about this clip. It is titled RED USA, and it shows a rowdy mob, people kicking out at the car, screaming abuse and holding placards "Thaskin Fugitive" I thought the reds were Thaskin supporters and not haters. Is this a Yellow ploy to shift blame for the mob mentality by Thais in the U.S onto the redshirts. I do not support either side but this really seems like a setup against the reds by the Yellows.

Red USA is absolutely a red shirt organization. The non-violent protesters were not Red Shirts.

I can only imagine that Red USA hosted this video to attempt to portray the protesters in a negative light, what with their disrespectful "look at my foot" gesture.

Something along the lines of,

"Those yellow shirts were rude to our leader. Aren't they terrible? They should be stopped. This sort of behavior is intolerable."

What they fail to recognize in their failed effort was that even something culturally rude is tolerable and protected as long as it is non-violent.

It's not the first time that their work has resulted in the opposite effect for what they intended AKA backfired.

An interesting take on the situation and strong verbiage from an outside Thailand news source...

Hypocrisy: Syria Burns While Mass Murdering Dictator Roams Freely in USA

Starting in February 2003, and over the course of 3 months, some 2,800 people (approximately 30 a day) would be extra-judicially murdered in the cities and countrysides of Southeast Asia's Thailand. Accused of being "drug dealers," they were systematically exterminated based on "hit lists" compiled by police given carte blanche by then Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (a former police bureaucrat himself). It would later be determined by official investigations that over half of those killed had nothing to do with the drug trade in any way. Human Rights Watch (HRW) would confirm this in their 2008 report titled, "Thailand’s 'war on drugs'," a follow up to the much more extensive 2004 report, "Not Enough Graves."

Continues:

http://hamsayeh.net/...ely-in-usa.html

Hamsayeh News - August 15, 2012

Very correct assessment of the convicted fugitive criminal. Well thought out and well written informative item.

So, whilst Thaksin has managed to drum up less support than a third rate garage sale in trailertrashville in the rain, his opponents proved themselves to be many and vocal.

I'd expect the 500B notes to start flying around like red, white and blue bunting on the 4th July.

Maybe the universal red shirt welcome of lobbing bags of faeces, pouring of human blood and burning effigies would make him feel more at home than the mild-mannered chants of "Thaksin, go to jail"

• Like 2

After his aborted appearance in Los Angeles, the Daily News has him flying back cross-country to Washington, DC... allegedly to meet American politicians.

Having moved on from Los Angeles, I'm curious as to just which American politician Thaksin met with yesterday.

In the ramshackle nature this disastrous adventure has become renowned for, the fugitive's normally well-oiled PR machine is herky-jerking right along with no media coverage, no photos, and no pronouncements.

Who needs a "normally well-oiled PR machine is herky-jerking right along with no media coverage, no photos, and no pronouncements." when we've got you Buchholz.

Actually we have been mightily entertained. What really upsets the Thaksin apologists is that their man has lost a lot of face on his expedition. Exposure as second-rate in the USA doesn't really help when one is building a shrine figure.

The more shrill they become, the more it's obviously troublesome to apologists.

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

Yes, freedom of assembly is a terrible thing. Imagine what would happen here if a rowdy crowd gathered in one place for a rally or to offer moral support!

Much would depend on whether the rowdy crowd brought their guns, grenade launchers and Molotov cocktails.

Yes, but they would still claim to have a peaceful demonstration.

Clearly not you given your disingenuous or possibly just rather ill informed earlier post.

What do you think Thaksin and Nearly all Phua Thai MPs are if not Sino-Thai?????

Honestly where do you get this <deleted> from?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

It always amuses me when the usual suspects come up with this line, as if pointing out the Thaksin and the PTP leadership are mostly Chinese in ancestry was some form of amazing debating point.Don't these people have any understanding of how Thai society is made up or any intellectual curiosity ?There enough interesting books and articles on the subject.Most educated foreigners who have worked here understand this very well.Actually one could also point out several Sino Thai individuals in the redshirt leadership.

In a nutshell the vast majority of the Thai middle class is Sino Thai to some degree - whether very recent immigrants or of very long standing.That means they are found everywhere -the army, the police, business of course, the courts, the foreign service etc etc.Certainly most Thais in America would belong to this group:I doubt whether Thaksin has a natural expatriate fan base!The discrimination faced decades ago has almost disappeared but there is perhaps a cultural folk memory of hardship and self improvement common to most.In the PAD rallies we saw a kind of Chinese triumplaism laced with racist rhetoric against their darker skinned compatriots.Because this Sino Thai group has done very well in Thailand there is often a view that upcountry Thais have only themselves to blame for their poorer condition.

Who needs a "normally well-oiled PR machine is herky-jerking right along with no media coverage, no photos, and no pronouncements." when we've got you Buchholz.

Your tireless efforts to leave no newsprint unturned has kept the forum informed in your usual non biased way. May I suggest that the posting of 30 odd posts, 7 photographs and 2 videos in this thread alone is more than just a "curiosity" with the man.

Remember Amsterdam ended his association with Thaksin in the US on the 30 of June, this shambles is all down to Thaksin himself. Reminds me of the old saying,

“Couldn’t organise a piss-up in a brewery.”

When the anti Thaksin protestors turned nasty this is what happened.....By nasty I mean she impeded his progress..

Arrested, march her off to a detention centre and deport the trouble maker as soon as possible, she is the farang in the USA and should abide by the laws of the land.

An interesting take on the situation and strong verbiage from an outside Thailand news source...

Starting in February 2003, and over the course of 3 months, some 2,800 people (approximately 30 a day) would be extra-judicially murdered in the cities and countrysides of Southeast Asia's Thailand. Accused of being "drug dealers," they were systematically exterminated based on "hit lists" compiled by police given carte blanche by then Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra (a former police bureaucrat himself). It would later be determined by official investigations that over half of those killed had nothing to do with the drug trade in any way. Human Rights Watch (HRW) would confirm this in their 2008 report titled, "Thailand’s 'war on drugs'," a follow up to the much more extensive 2004 report, "Not Enough Graves."

Continues:

Interesting source.

Continues:

Interesting source.

yes, and great article.

Continues:

Interesting source.

Yes it's written by none other than Tony Cartalucci, who out tinfoils the the craziest and most paranoid of us all.I imagine Buchholz is just having a laugh in posting it.I mean if it was meant to be taken seriously that would suggest....

"What they fail to recognize in their failed effort was that even something culturally rude is tolerable and protected as long as it is non-violent."

You might want to explain that line of thought to the lady from New Zealand who made certain gestures recently and was greeted by a baying crowd of yellow shirts at Suavanabhumi airport trying (and suceeding) to stop her from meeting her flight

Actually, she didn't even go to the airport. She was put into "care" before that, so the yellow shirts didn't "succeed" in stopping her from doing anything.

Didn't stop them from getting onto their "my little pony" smartphones and organise a whole bunch of them down the airport though did it?

Clearly not you given your disingenuous or possibly just rather ill informed earlier post.

What do you think Thaksin and Nearly all Phua Thai MPs are if not Sino-Thai?????

Honestly where do you get this <deleted> from?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

It always amuses me when the usual suspects come up with this line, as if pointing out the Thaksin and the PTP leadership are mostly Chinese in ancestry was some form of amazing debating point.Don't these people have any understanding of how Thai society is made up or any intellectual curiosity ?There enough interesting books and articles on the subject.Most educated foreigners who have worked here understand this very well.Actually one could also point out several Sino Thai individuals in the redshirt leadership.

In a nutshell the vast majority of the Thai middle class is Sino Thai to some degree - whether very recent immigrants or of very long standing.That means they are found everywhere -the army, the police, business of course, the courts, the foreign service etc etc.Certainly most Thais in America would belong to this group:I doubt whether Thaksin has a natural expatriate fan base!The discrimination faced decades ago has almost disappeared but there is perhaps a cultural folk memory of hardship and self improvement common to most.In the PAD rallies we saw a kind of Chinese triumplaism laced with racist rhetoric against their darker skinned compatriots.Because this Sino Thai group has done very well in Thailand there is often a view that upcountry Thais have only themselves to blame for their poorer condition.

This still doesn't explain why you chose to use the racial distinction to describe the US protesters (post #218). Or your assumption that those protesters harbour denigrating views about the educational status of Thaksin's supporters.

Continues:

Interesting source.

Yes it's written by none other than Tony Cartalucci, who out tinfoils the the craziest and most paranoid of us all.I imagine Buchholz is just having a laugh in posting it.I mean if it was meant to be taken seriously that would suggest....

Now that is no suprise, that it is written by cartalucci, not that buchholz was taken in by it I mean..............

Is there such a button as "un - like" I can see the demand from certain posters here......................