Visa Run From Bangkok

NBD

Coming up again, and I don't want to just drive over to Poi Pet, turn around and come back. Quite fancy something different so open to all suggestions

Current favourites are a flight to Hanoi, Rangoon/Yangon, or a (long) drive up to Mae Sot.

Can make a 3 day weekend of it, but rather not break the bank entirely (I thought of Hong Kong too...)

Any suggestions?

Fly up to Chiang Rai spend the night..next day easy one hour bus to Mae Sai...very easy to cross into burma and back..cost about 500 baht to enter burma so it is a cheap visa run compared to many...you can wander around the burma side for a while if you like or just turn around and come right back into thailand and get your stamp...maybe spend night in mae sai then back to CR for one more night then fly back to bkk...

or you could do the train up to Chiang Mai and then a bus up to Mae Sai...lots of service by the Green Bus company from both CM and CR....

take the train from Bangkok to Nong Khai its a short distance to the border (lao),cross over the border,have a nice lunch in Vientaine or shop in the duty free zone there at the crossing "Lao side" return to Thailand catch the night train back to Bangkok

Edited by happynthailand

Chiang Rai/Mae Sai is a possibility. How far into Burma can you go once you cross the border? Have heard mixed reports ranging from strictly within the town on the other side to give the dozing policeman 50THB and go as far as you like or are able. Any recent experience much appreciated.

Vientiane is a nice spot but I've been there a few times now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chiang Rai/Mae Sai is a possibility. How far into Burma can you go once you cross the border? Have heard mixed reports ranging from strictly within the town on the other side to give the dozing policeman 50THB and go as far as you like or are able. Any recent experience much appreciated.

Vientiane is a nice spot but I've been there a few times now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am no expert and you'll find a complete thread on it in the chiang rai forum...but...basically i think you can just stay in the little village on the burma side until dark unless you have made some kind of special arrangement....i always stay on the thai side in mae sai which is a fairly interesting little town with all kinds of exotic looking folks wandering around...many people seem to just wade back and forth across the river between burma and thailand...

.lots of decent cheap little hotels and tons of shopping for mostly chinese made stuff....

check here for lot more info.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/147481-mae-saitachilek-border-info/

You've got some great options! Being a lover of HK, that would be a great 3 day trip. Not cheap, but great fun.

Have you been to Penang? I did that one time with Air Asia. Quite cheap and a nice place to checkout.

Myanmar would also be quite interesting.

I'm a fan of HK too, but as you say the costs are a bit over the top - don't figure on much change out of 25K with flights, hotels and spending money there.

Penang - been there, I didn't think it was anything special to be honest. Maybe I went to the wrong places but it just seemed like a less fun version of Thailand.

Chiang Rai is looking like a good option, but I know it would whet my appetite to go deeper into Burma...

Fly Nok Air Don Muang to Mae Sot, about 4,000 baht return. The airport is about 3 km from the border, you can walk it (easier than waiting for a motorbike taxi to turn up). Check out the Moei market on the Thai side next to the bridge.Pay 500 baht to the Burmese border officials and stroll into another world. No hassle on the other side or at the border. Myanmar beer is great!

Only problem might be flooding of the Moei river. It burst its banks a few days ago. I was there last week and did the border crossing OK. Just make sure you get the Myanmar stamp in your passport to prove you have been outside Thailand (stamp takes up small space so no need to waste a full page for a visa).

Enjoy the experience.

Lankawi (Malaysia) is quite nice, did a three day stay there once for a visa run and really enjoyed my stay. If you are traveling with a Thai girlfriend/wife there is no need for visas for either of you as well.

Edited by yourauntbob

...basically i think you can just stay in the little village on the burma side until dark....

You can actually stay in Tachilek (the Burme border town across from Mae Sai) for a week or so. That's what the permit that you pay 500 baht for allows.

But the border closes around 5pm! So if you're NOT spending the night and just shopping or sight-seeing, be sure to cross from the Burmese side by 5pm. Or else you'll love having the adventure of finding a hotel as the sun goes down. Fun, fun!

• Like 1

I used to use the Ekkamai to Camdodia Express Visa, but not anymore. On the way back it takes forever, because they go around Bangkok dropping people off before they eventually arrive back at Ekkamai. Not to be recommended.

• 4 months later...