Benzin Vs. Gasohol

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you use your bike on a daily basis and the manufacturer states it's compatible with gasohol it should run okay. I noticed that when we were away and the bike left standing for a while it didn't run well until fresh fuel was added, so now prior to going away I fill up with straight 91 for a few weeks. My wifes's Teana runs on E20 and I haven't noticed any difference in fuel consumption using Benzine 91 or E20, it guzzles both like an alchoholic on holiday in a brewery. Nissan service manager told me that E20 has an octane rating of 98. What effect that has on power and performance I can't be bothered to lookup, but maybe the googlemeister can post the info.

Edited by BirdsandBooze

Gasohol not only seperates but is hydrophilic. Meaning it draws moisture out of the air. In limited amounts that's actually a net benefit as the water actually cools the combustion chamber, increases combustion pressure (as water does not compress all that well) and lowers emissions. Obviously an excessive amount leads to improper combustion cycles.

Ethanol is also a corrosive. Meaning that older fuel lines not designed for it are eaten away. Ethanol has about 65% of the combustion energy of benzine (and coincidentally 2/3 of the vapour pressure meaning that instead of the 100% combustion pressure of full benzine you get 2/3 of 10% plus 90% or 96% of the combustion pressure that pure benzine has), and a proper air fuel ratio would be ~9:1 versus the 14.5:1 of a benzine engine. Since 90% of the fuel in E10 is benzine the AFR will be at 14.5 or so and thus incredibly rich for the ethanol. This actually wastes ethanol and makes it burn more poorly the same as if you tried to run a straight gasoline engine at an AFR of 21:1. Latent heat is also higher; meaning you need a higher temperature to properly atomise the ethanol.

Sorry for going off on a technical tangent, but that's what I do...

<deleted> me What!!

Sorry??? For what? You gave the ONLY worthwhile response. I had no idea about the different optimum AFR for ethanol. However, you mixed up rich and lean (probably inadvertently). The higher the AFR the leaner the mix, lower AFR, richer. So I guess ethanol needs a richer mix to combust properly. another reason why I just stick with benzine 91, which I note was up to 45 baht/liter yesterday at Caltex! I thought, wait a minute, how did you get 640 baht (a new record) into my ER6n? Then I noticed it was up.

Yeah, you're correct. The AFR is too high for the ethanol making it too lean.

I think the bikes would 'probably' be OK with Gasohol but I prefer not to risk it and it gives me less kpl so there's no point anyway.

i'm not so sure about that. I have a Honda Airblade and a CBR. I use the Airblade to travel to work and when I use benzine I have to fill up again in no time at all, at least a day earlier than when using G91. I've done long journeys on my CBR and Gasohol91 lasts far far longer than the benzine. I don't notice any difference in acc' or top speed etc either. The Honda book says to use either and the tank has a gasohol 91 sticker on it, so I'm pretty sure modern bikes here can hanlde it without any problem. Thai Honda mechanics and others on here who say 'no G91' are going on what they know on older bikes but that doesn't apply to new bikes.

Dave Boo (or others) will probably call me an idiot, but i will trust the manufacturer more than them and like I've said, benzine is not more fuel efficient. Perhaps I am burning only 96% of my fuel instead of 100% but I sure as hell don't notice, however, I do notice when I'm spending more money more often when using benzine.

I will admit I am a bit surprised that you claim better efficiency with the gasohol than with benzine. I was going to question as to whether you put in x THB each fill up or just fill it all the way up each time, but as I read it you do fill up all the way both times? How long does a full tank of gasohol last you? Just curious as to the difference you are observing.

As an aside, I don't contradict what manufacturers say in regards to the suitability of gasohol for their bikes, and even admit that certain models can run a bit more efficiently on straight ethanol. I don't know if any of these models are sold in Thailand however...

My 2005 Honda Phantom uses either fuel with no significant difference in performance or consumption.

As for olderf bikes my 1994 Yamaha Virago 535 does the same and both the official handbook and the workshop manuals say that is OK too.

The Yamaha Mio scooter takes any old crap I throw in it and if I mixed a small bottle of Lao Khao it would probably reach mach 1 though not with fat old me on it.

Edited by billd766

I think the bikes would 'probably' be OK with Gasohol but I prefer not to risk it and it gives me less kpl so there's no point anyway.

i'm not so sure about that. I have a Honda Airblade and a CBR. I use the Airblade to travel to work and when I use benzine I have to fill up again in no time at all, at least a day earlier than when using G91. I've done long journeys on my CBR and Gasohol91 lasts far far longer than the benzine. I don't notice any difference in acc' or top speed etc either. The Honda book says to use either and the tank has a gasohol 91 sticker on it, so I'm pretty sure modern bikes here can hanlde it without any problem. Thai Honda mechanics and others on here who say 'no G91' are going on what they know on older bikes but that doesn't apply to new bikes.

Dave Boo (or others) will probably call me an idiot, but i will trust the manufacturer more than them and like I've said, benzine is not more fuel efficient. Perhaps I am burning only 96% of my fuel instead of 100% but I sure as hell don't notice, however, I do notice when I'm spending more money more often when using benzine.

I will admit I am a bit surprised that you claim better efficiency with the gasohol than with benzine. I was going to question as to whether you put in x THB each fill up or just fill it all the way up each time, but as I read it you do fill up all the way both times? How long does a full tank of gasohol last you? Just curious as to the difference you are observing.

As an aside, I don't contradict what manufacturers say in regards to the suitability of gasohol for their bikes, and even admit that certain models can run a bit more efficiently on straight ethanol. I don't know if any of these models are sold in Thailand however...

Well 100Baht or G91 will pretty much fill my Airblade, the benzine used to but not anymore. That 100 baht of G91 will last me 3-4 days, 100Baht of benzine lasts about 2-3 days doing the same journey each day(give or take the odd journey to the local shops). On my CBR on long trips (usually to the same place) I would fill it up when setting off. I would have to put more in before arriving at my destination usually with plenty of fuel to spare. When I decided to use benzine only for one trip that one stop wasn't enough and I had to stop again as i didn't want to arrive with hardly any fuel left. I didn't do any math etc but i seemed to use up the benzine pretty fast.

So in my experience 100B of G91 goes alot further than 100B of B91. And on long trips those pips on my fuel guage went out much quicker when using benzine.

I'm sure I remember on here somewhere of other guys using G91 for long trips for the same reason, as they weren't worried about any possible damage to their bikes because they were using it all up.

Thanks to dave_boo for technical info. I recall a report by National Roads & Motorists Asscn in Australia concluding that ethanol fuels of 10% compared to standard gasoline:

- burned at higher temp (not good for long engine life)

- sacrificed a small amount of power

- provided slightly lower mileage

and, most important for owners of older cars/bikes, damaged rubber components in fuel lines (ie those not using recent materials specifically manufactured for ethanol use). Damage is not immediate, but long term. A mechanic in Oz also told me that in older engines the fuel hose, gaskets, o-rings in carbs etc decompose in presence of ethanol and eventually clog up carb needles (and injectors) with a sticky gum-like substance.

Well 100Baht or G91 will pretty much fill my Airblade, the benzine used to but not anymore. That 100 baht of G91 will last me 3-4 days, 100Baht of benzine lasts about 2-3 days doing the same journey each day(give or take the odd journey to the local shops). On my CBR on long trips (usually to the same place) I would fill it up when setting off. I would have to put more in before arriving at my destination usually with plenty of fuel to spare. When I decided to use benzine only for one trip that one stop wasn't enough and I had to stop again as i didn't want to arrive with hardly any fuel left. I didn't do any math etc but i seemed to use up the benzine pretty fast.

So in my experience 100B of G91 goes alot further than 100B of B91. And on long trips those pips on my fuel guage went out much quicker when using benzine.

I'm sure I remember on here somewhere of other guys using G91 for long trips for the same reason, as they weren't worried about any possible damage to their bikes because they were using it all up.

could it be that 100 baht gives you less fuel than 100 baht of gasohol?

benzine cost more

If not and if you have a 150, your bike is probably running too rich, airscrew should be 3.5-3.75 turns out for the CBR 150.

If you have the 250, well then that's weird.

According to PTT, as of today there's a 4,37 THB spread between gasohol and benzine. 100 THB gets you 2,3 L of benzine or 2,8L of gasohol. That's 21% more gasohol for the same price. Are you actually getting better range on gasohol...well there's no hard numbers to go by.

@ dave_boo Even if I concede that 1L Benzine91 will last longer than 1L of G91 (about 4%?) The fact that Gasohol is 21% cheaper more than makes up for it. In other words 100B of G91 goes alot further than100B of B91. So I will continue to use Gasohol but occasionally fill up with Benzine just to be on the safe side. wink.png

Edited by macknife

@ dave_boo Even if I concede that 1L Benzine91 will last longer than 1L of G91 (about 4%?) The fact that Gasohol is 21% cheaper more than makes up for it. In other words 100B of G91 goes alot further than100B of B91. So I will continue to use Gasohol but occasionally fill up with Benzine just to be on the safe side. wink.png

Quite right. All those taxes paid to artificially lower the at pump price of gasohol while lowering actual milage, decreasing bio-diversity, reducing food supplies, depleting water tables, etc. allow you to pay less to go the same miles.

Quite right. All those taxes paid to artificially lower the at pump price of gasohol while lowering actual milage, decreasing bio-diversity, reducing food supplies, depleting water tables, etc. allow you to pay less to go the same miles.

Well said. This is the main reason why i run Benzine even in bikes that _should_ run on gasohol without problems.

Gasohol is evil, Benzine is less evil wink.png

Gasohol not only seperates but is hydrophilic. Meaning it draws moisture out of the air. In limited amounts that's actually a net benefit as the water actually cools the combustion chamber, increases combustion pressure (as water does not compress all that well) and lowers emissions. Obviously an excessive amount leads to improper combustion cycles.

Ethanol is also a corrosive. Meaning that older fuel lines not designed for it are eaten away. Ethanol has about 65% of the combustion energy of benzine (and coincidentally 2/3 of the vapour pressure meaning that instead of the 100% combustion pressure of full benzine you get 2/3 of 10% plus 90% or 96% of the combustion pressure that pure benzine has), and a proper air fuel ratio would be ~9:1 versus the 14.5:1 of a benzine engine. Since 90% of the fuel in E10 is benzine the AFR will be at 14.5 or so and thus incredibly rich for the ethanol. This actually wastes ethanol and makes it burn more poorly the same as if you tried to run a straight gasoline engine at an AFR of 21:1. Latent heat is also higher; meaning you need a higher temperature to properly atomise the ethanol.

If you got some spare time can you come over 'n' fix the flux capacitor? I am not going anywhere at the moment.

• Like 1

I've put gasohol 95 in my BMW R1200C for years now without problems. Before I did so (when gasohol first came out) I wrote to BMW to ask if it was ok. I did the same with my old Suzuki Vitara car. Both are fuel injected. I think there can be some problems with gasohol with older carburettor engines. Mind you, many years ago (in the 60's and 70's) in the UK there was a fuel called National Benzole. It's selling point was that it had added alcohol (5 or 10%) that cleaned up the cylinders. I always used it on my old Triumph 350. Never had any problems with it.

If you got some spare time can you come over 'n' fix the flux capacitor? I am not going anywhere at the moment.

You provide the Mr. Fusion with 1.2 JW of power and get your bike up to 141 km/h and we'll make it happen.

• Like 1

Up to 10% alcohol no problem for any engine. Higher amount of alcohol (etanol) may slowly damage the seals in the motor, if not constructed for gasohol use. Check your manual - many modern cars can drive with up to 20% alcohol. Adding around 5% alcohol to gasoline has been used for ages in cold countries to avoid caburator frost.

Up to 10% alcohol no problem for any engine. Higher amount of alcohol (etanol) may slowly damage the seals in the motor, if not constructed for gasohol use. Check your manual - many modern cars can drive with up to 20% alcohol. Adding around 5% alcohol to gasoline has been used for ages in cold countries to avoid caburator frost.

Please come and tell that my Yamaha Nouvo which doesn't want to run with gasohol (E10). With gasohol it has a very bad idle and sudden stalls. Even at the Yamaha headquarter in Bangkok they weren't able to adjust the bike so that it runs with gasohol without problems :)

I've tried using gasohol 91,green, and my bike started bogging. Then 95 orange and after about a month it started bogging again. This last month I switched back to benzine 91,red. And my bike stopped bogging and I noticed a better power gain. The nice thing about gasohol is that it's. Cheap but benzine is the way to go.

what kind of cbr do you have?

• 1 year later...

So what would be better for my new ninja 300

Ptt 95 benzine (still can get it in pattaya for about 48b L)

Or shell Vpower nitro+ which is gasohol 95 with some lubricants thay market it as developed with ferrari etc.. its 42b L

Benzine vs vpower both 95

Or shell Vpower nitro+ which is gasohol 95 with some lubricants thay market it as developed with ferrari etc.. its 42b L

i use shell vpower 95 gasohol and never had any problems besides and it runs very smooth also save 5 thb per liter. there is serious r&d behind it and it cleans the injectors and claims more longevity for the engine.

but if i am going to track, i get caltex 95 benzine.

i use shell vpower 95 gasohol and never had any problems besides and it runs very smooth also save 5 thb per liter. there is serious r&d behind it and it cleans the injectors and claims more longevity for the engine.

but if i am going to track, i get caltex 95 benzine.

Track where?

mataleo

Before anybody's telling me I got a tank shooting to an insect - yes I know about that when I tell you about my own experience.
I own a Suzuki 125cc Hayate and this is good for RON 91-E10, but the Suzuki sales people recommended me NOT to use Gasohol, what I did. So after here in LoS they took away the real 91 benzine (in America I think its 87 regular?) I'd go with 91 Gasohol, what's the E10 since there was no benzine to get anymore. My fuel usage went up from 2.2 ltr per 100km to 2.6 per 100km.
Now since they sell real 95 benzine here again (in USA called 91 Premium?) I made a test to use this in my Suzuki and my usage went down to 2.2 ltr per 100km again.
But it was not only this, with the 95 benzine the engine is running much smoother and my speed is also much higher than with the E10-grap. To use 95 in a 91 ready engine that is the point with the insect...
The only negative, it's more expensive and that's one reason what I think is important for many people here to use E10 instead of benzine.
With my Ninja I use the benzine also and what I can say with E10 the setup of my fuel mapping must be much more rich then with benzine.
The staff from the Kwaki-Center here highly recommends to use real benzine and never E10.
When you have the chance to talk to an real engineer from engine development when he MUST NOT speak in a political correct way he will tell you the real truth about real benzine and E10, also about the waste of money with Shell V-Power (but the Shell-story you can read in german tests from the ADAC, TUV and others already).

And this is my own experience with high quality Shell V-Power, long long time ago...

I’ve been with the first Shell V-Power 100 RON users a long time ago in Germany, when Shell started it new in the market.

And to be honest in my 20 years old car (at that time) using it was really successful since it did safe up to around 12% per 100 km. At that time the tests with modern cars in Germany didn’t bring any high results like this (some up to 3%). So the cost for me per 100 km was the same even when the price for V-Power was really high compared to the normal Super-Plus, also I had to go 30 km’s from home to get it but my car was worth to put it in since anyway I had to use the 98 RON unleaded Super-Plus in Germany.

After more then one year I realized that the result was not as good as before, what made me wonder but at least with this knowledge I also went back to use Super-Plus again.

A little time later I met an old friend who did the Racing-Service for a well known oil-company (with the brand RS from castor-oil plant - the old guys will remember that and the racing-smell like in Le Mans or at the Nürburgring) and he told me that Shell has changed the mixture for the V-Power which they sell to the public street-market compared to the one they’d use in Michael S. F1-Ferrari. So it was no wonder that my results haven’t been the same like before.

Also another anecdote and that’s what the young people won’t understand, is when you use really gasoline with lead in it. One time when I was driving around with my car I saw that my tank was really empty and when I came to a small village with a gas-station I’ve been looking a little bit confused since they said there you could get leaded Super-Gasoline (approximately one year after in Germany they’d stop selling leaded fuel), so I asked the owner and he told me yes he really collected a big tank full and now he is selling it to special cars and since my car was one like this I took a tank full with leaded Super, what at least had been 83 liters what means my 85 liter-tank was nearly complete empty. After only 5 kms I could feel how happy my engine felt and he’d never run as good as with this real benzine again. Important: NEVER use leaded fuel with a catalytic converter!

So for them who think it’s good to use Shell V-Power take it, believe in their marketing since they will be more then happy to get your money and never forget: Faith can move mountains...

• Like 1

Before anybody's telling me I got a tank shooting to an insect - yes I know about that when I tell you about my own experience.

I own a Suzuki 125cc Hayate and this is good for RON 91-E10, but the Suzuki sales people recommended me NOT to use Gasohol, what I did. So after here in LoS they took away the real 91 benzine (in America I think its 87 regular?) I'd go with 91 Gasohol, what's the E10 since there was no benzine to get anymore. My fuel usage went up from 2.2 ltr per 100km to 2.6 per 100km.

Now since they sell real 95 benzine here again (in USA called 91 Premium?) I made a test to use this in my Suzuki and my usage went down to 2.2 ltr per 100km again.

But it was not only this, with the 95 benzine the engine is running much smoother and my speed is also much higher than with the E10-grap. To use 95 in a 91 ready engine that is the point with the insect...

The only negative, it's more expensive and that's one reason what I think is important for many people here to use E10 instead of benzine.

With my Ninja I use the benzine also and what I can say with E10 the setup of my fuel mapping must be much more rich then with benzine.

The staff from the Kwaki-Center here highly recommends to use real benzine and never E10.

When you have the chance to talk to an real engineer from engine development when he MUST NOT speak in a political correct way he will tell you the real truth about real benzine and E10, also about the waste of money with Shell V-Power (but the Shell-story you can read in german tests from the ADAC, TUV and others already).

And this is my own experience with high quality Shell V-Power, long long time ago...

I’ve been with the first Shell V-Power 100 RON users a long time ago in Germany, when Shell started it new in the market.

And to be honest in my 20 years old car (at that time) using it was really successful since it did safe up to around 12% per 100 km. At that time the tests with modern cars in Germany didn’t bring any high results like this (some up to 3%). So the cost for me per 100 km was the same even when the price for V-Power was really high compared to the normal Super-Plus, also I had to go 30 km’s from home to get it but my car was worth to put it in since anyway I had to use the 98 RON unleaded Super-Plus in Germany.

After more then one year I realized that the result was not as good as before, what made me wonder but at least with this knowledge I also went back to use Super-Plus again.

A little time later I met an old friend who did the Racing-Service for a well known oil-company (with the brand RS from castor-oil plant - the old guys will remember that and the racing-smell like in Le Mans or at the Nürburgring) and he told me that Shell has changed the mixture for the V-Power which they sell to the public street-market compared to the one they’d use in Michael S. F1-Ferrari. So it was no wonder that my results haven’t been the same like before.

Also another anecdote and that’s what the young people won’t understand, is when you use really gasoline with lead in it. One time when I was driving around with my car I saw that my tank was really empty and when I came to a small village with a gas-station I’ve been looking a little bit confused since they said there you could get leaded Super-Gasoline (approximately one year after in Germany they’d stop selling leaded fuel), so I asked the owner and he told me yes he really collected a big tank full and now he is selling it to special cars and since my car was one like this I took a tank full with leaded Super, what at least had been 83 liters what means my 85 liter-tank was nearly complete empty. After only 5 kms I could feel how happy my engine felt and he’d never run as good as with this real benzine again. Important: NEVER use leaded fuel with a catalytic converter!

So for them who think it’s good to use Shell V-Power take it, believe in their marketing since they will be more then happy to get your money and never forget: Faith can move mountains...

U cant use E10 in ninja b cuz its got more then 10% ethanol or it contains more then 5% methanol

Regular gasohol 95 is up to 10% ethanol ..

So never go with E10 in bikes

Vpower is about mix with detergents which should oil engine up from inside and remove bad stuff make it run more smooth which should give bit more power well unnoticable. .

Also shell claims vpower is 98% same stuff as they use in F1, thats what they claim on web.

I run ninja on few petrols depends

Vpower 95

Ptt benzine 95

Caltex gold 95 benzine + techron. ..

I never tried it yet on 91 gasohol

On forums thay says no problem can run smooth

I just want best stuff for engine thays why tries benzines

In kawasaki they told 95 better. ..

mataleo

Check ur fuel usages and post results http://www.fuelly.com

mataleo

256083.png

edit: some of have been shell vpower 95, some E10 95. but from the next one it will be benzine 95.

which is the best benzine 95 I can get? PTT (blue leaf) ?

Ptt yellow pump is benzine and most expensive about 48b L

Dont put E10 u will damage engine as levels of alcohol are too high

Use benzine or regular gasohol 95

U can get Caltex gold 95 with techron its good may b best out there. As it is benzine with patented detergent...

To make fuelly accurate u have to fill it up to full everytime...

Edited by mataleo

Dont put E10 u will damage engine as levels of alcohol are too high

Use benzine or regular gasohol 95

E-10 is Gasohol..... both 91 & 95 afaik

E10 is Gasohol

Gasohol is 90% gas, 10% ethanol

You can buy it in 91 or 95 octane ratings

Also you have said you use Vpower 95 which is again afaik E10 Gasohol with their Vpower/Vnitro additives

Are you confusing problems/damages with E-20?

Because all new bikes are made to run on Gasohol 91

I am not suggesting it is the best fuel but it is not damaging as you say afaik

• Like 2

BTW: This is page 51 of the owners manual for your bike ( Ninja 300 )

as you can see Kawasaki says E10 min 91 rating or gasohol 91 is

approved.

Again I am not saying it is the highest performance fuel for your bike

But I am saying they would not recommend a fuel that causes damage to the engine

post-82547-0-29300600-1391266767_thumb.j

Edited by mania
  • Like 1