Visa For Thaksin Issued Under U.S. Laws: U.S. Ambassador Kristie Kenney

webfact

I can understand why the USA isn't extraditing if the current Thai government isn't asking for that (why would they, the PM is his sister in case you didn't knoww00t.gif ) but I don't approve of the special treatment for the granting of the visa. Considering how many law abiding Thais are denied tourist visas to the USA, this is a sickening display of hypocrisy. Who can possibly believe that the USA government didn't know there was a huge political implication to allowing his visit? Who can possibly believe that the USA government thought he was coming to the USA for an innocent tourism holiday?

On the other hand, they bomb other countries....so the harm done for Thailand is in compare nothing.

Heck they even let in the the Saudi government......

Fairly convoluted reasoning to turn this into a USA-bashing thread, from a Thaksin-visa one. Cirque de Soliel can always use contortionists, however, if your day job doesn't pan out...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an American Citizen, I am embarrassed by our US government's groveling at the feet of Thaksin.

The fact is that he is a convicted criminal, who jumped bail. That is a fact. And there is no way under US law he should be granted a visa...unless higher ups in the Immigration Dept approved it and told the lower grade officers to give him a visa. Despicable in my view. He has no right to enter our country. He is a convict. He was tried by the Thai judicial system, not by the coup makers. His wife, with Thaksin's written permission, was given the special right to buy a huge tract of valuable government property near Suvarnabhumi Airport, just before the government auctioned the land, at a huge discount. Classic corruption....as was Thaksin's arrogant style. Those were the types of things that got him thrown out of power. His buying his way back into power.... by funding huge sums of money to Puy yai bans, Orbortors, MP's, etc through out the northeast and north....is common knowledge...not even disputed. But the US government decides to play sides and act like this was just a political prosecution and a political injustice. Embarrassing...for me.

Don't let little things like facts get in the way of your discourse there - you can't even get where the land in question is right.

There was no 'special right' to buy the land let alone a huge discount involved. The bid from Pojaman was higher than the Land Departments valuation and also was higher then the other two bids received from Land and House and Noble House. Also there was the issue of Article 4 of the National Counter Corruption Act which states that the accused must directly supervise the damaged party when at the time the FIDF came under The Bank of Thailand.

I'm no fan of Thaksin, but the fact remains he was a democratically elected PM who was illegally ousted from power by a military coup, whose protagonists then went on to grant themselves amnesties.

Is it any wonder the politically-sophisticated world doesn't see it through Thai-tinted spectacles? Nor many Thais either.

Thaksin resigned, he didnt manage to form a coalition, during the coup he was a illegal "Caretaker Premier". He didnt want to let go of power.

Read the link from The Guardian.

http://www.guardian....!--NoParse10-->

Thaksin did not resign. He wasn't an illegal caretaker premier during the coup. You might be right in the statement that he didn't want to let go of power. Keep on reading, if possible not only the Guardian...........................

I dont need to read it, PhiPhidon, I lived it.

April 5 2006 (Bloomberg) -- Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he will step down as premier after his declared victory in a weekend election failed to resolve a political standoff that crippled his government.

Thaksin, 56, speaking in a live television broadcast in Bangkok late yesterday, said he will stay on as interim prime minister until a new leader is chosen, after meeting with the country's King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Thaksin said he will retain his leadership of the Thai Rak Thai party and remain a member of parliament. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=atKOkbTLyoeo&refer=top_world_news

6 months later............

20 September 2006

Military leaders in Thailand have staged a coup, suspended the constitution and declared martial law.

Opposition Senator Mechai Viravaidya welcomed Mr Thaksin's departure, despite doubts about the methods used.

"I'm delighted he's gone," he said. "It would have been great if he had resigned voluntarily, but apparently he was too stubborn. But at least it's better than an assassination."

Tue Oct 3, 2006 8:22pm AEST

Deposed Thai prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, has resigned as head of his Thai Rak Thai party, triggering the dissolution of its entire executive in the wake of the military coup last month. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-10-03/thaksin-resigns-as-party-leader/2685904

Though this leaves out the failed timely make-up election,

knock on effects of Election Commision resignations,

and the expiry of his earlier caretaker or interim PM status,

the 3rd, apparently less sanguine for him, visit to the palace.

And his subsequent stepping down as Interim PM,

and his Deputy PM stepping into the roll for a week.

Edited by animatic

What a line of BS coming from Ambassdor Kenney. I wanna puke. Is this the official US Embassy response? She must think we are a bunch of kindegarders for such a childish explanation. Thaksin's visa has to have been granted a wavier before it was approved. I do know criminal Canadians are given waviers quite often to enter the US. Most are for 4 or 5 year old marijuana arrest with no current arrest. Thaksin's visa approval is not normal as Ambassdor Kenney suggests. Thaksin is a convicted felon on the run. Approval of Thaksin's visitor visa is not one of the normal 50,000 visas approved by the embassy. A wavier approval of this type comes from the highest official in the state department. I guess money talks.

• Like 1

Surprised he was issued a visa. Since all politicians are whores...

As a friend of whores, I take offense at that statement.

The good-intentioned US Ambassador is relatively new at her post, so perhaps is not expected to know a whole lot about the inner workings of Thai politics. Perhaps she can use that as an excuse for saying the decision (to grant T a visa) had nothing to do with politics. Better if she had not mentioned the politicial card. As she did, she makes herself look like she's been co-opted by the Shinawatre ruse - hook, line and sinker.

Maybe she skipped school the day they read the story of 'The Emporer's New Clothes'

Re phase, "Since all THAI politicians are whores..."

Thaksin is the one who got elected. He is only a criminal of the Govt who illegally overthrew the freely elected old Govt. I don't much care one way or the other, but that's the way I see it. I really don't know but I guess he is kind of a leftist, a populist, and we all know where that ends up, bankruptcy every time, and the US is on the same path if things don't change fast. However Thailand is not the US. Woman and older people simple will not get certain jobs. The barriers are higher to advance for most of the country. So it surprises me to hear myself say this, but for Thailand, some wealth re-distribution may be a good thing.

I am sorry to be so blunt but this statement is wrong. No criminal in a democracy is found guilty by the government, legally elected or otherwise. They are found guilty by the high court of that country which in turn is bounded by the laws within the constitution. The constitution is what defines an individual as being a criminal once convicted by the court. Thaksin therefore, by definition of the law of the land and the constitution is a convicted felon. On the run.

Was Mr Victor Booth convicted of any crime when the US demanded his extradition from Thailand to the US ??? NO!!

One of the most sensible posts I've read on TV. I congratulate you sir!

• Like 1

Well, first of all, the current government in Thailand is not legitimate. It began as an illegal military coup, that disregarded and threw away the constitution. I personally was surprised at how quickly the USA accepted the military coup in 2006 and how little was made of it in the US.

I was in Canada at the time I had spend a month here earlier and was wondering when to come back.

The minute I heard about the coup and saw pictures of private citizens handing flowers to guys in tanks I booked my return.

By the way what planet are you from. This is a legitimate Government the same as the three before it. Not saying I approve of them but they are legitimate.

The good-intentioned US Ambassador is relatively new at her post, so perhaps is not expected to know a whole lot about the inner workings of Thai politics. Perhaps she can use that as an excuse for saying the decision (to grant T a visa) had nothing to do with politics. Better if she had not mentioned the politicial card. As she did, she makes herself look like she's been co-opted by the Shinawatre ruse - hook, line and sinker.

Maybe she skipped school the day they read the story of 'The Emporer's New Clothes'

Maybe you should suggest to her that she joins TV so she can be fully informed about what is going on in Thailand.

Seriously though, to suggest the US ambassador to Thailand is ill informed about the inner workings of Thai politics is a ridiculous statement to make. The in depth instruction she will have had before taking the post along with the private one on one meetings she will have had with all the top players in the game, all keen to curry favour with the US, will probably make her better informed on the current situation than just about any foreigner out there.

Surely the barstool pundits of ThaiVisa are the final word when it comes to a comprehensive understanding of Thai and International law & politics.

Although I know nothing of her in particular, she is a career diplomat, so to suggest that she is some naive babbling moron needing tutelage from the astute ThaiVisa cabal of retired shop assistants is more than ridiculous.

Sure, she was making a bland cover-your-butt statement. It's what government employees do. Did you expect her to be outraged or apologetic?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Maybe you should suggest to her that she joins TV so she can be fully informed about what is going on in Thailand.

Seriously though, to suggest the US ambassador to Thailand is ill informed about the inner workings of Thai politics is a ridiculous statement to make. The in depth instruction she will have had before taking the post along with the private one on one meetings she will have had with all the top players in the game, all keen to curry favour with the US, will probably make her better informed on the current situation than just about any foreigner out there.

Surely the barstool pundits of ThaiVisa are the final word when it comes to a comprehensive understanding of Thai and International law & politics.

Although I know nothing of her in particular, she is a career diplomat, so to suggest that she is some naive babbling moron needing tutelage from the estute ThaiVisa cabal of retired shop assistants is more than ridiculous.

Sure, she was making a bland cover-your-butt statement. It's what government employees do. Did you expect her to be outraged or apologetic?

Can you enlighten us as to which shop were you employed as an assistant?ermm.gif

Well, first of all, the current government in Thailand is not legitimate. It began as an illegal military coup, that disregarded and threw away the constitution. I personally was surprised at how quickly the USA accepted the military coup in 2006 and how little was made of it in the US.

About as quickly as Thailand probably accepted the 2000 US Supreme Court decision to install the Bush Administration probably.

The good-intentioned US Ambassador is relatively new at her post, so perhaps is not expected to know a whole lot about the inner workings of Thai politics.

Not expected to know a whole lot about the inner workings of Thai politics? Did you see the wikileaks cables from a previous ambassador and some of the stellar league players he was having cozy chats with?

I rather doubt she's sitting in the embassy compound alone typing " Thaksin's court case" into Google. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I was in Canada at the time I had spend a month here earlier and was wondering when to come back.

The minute I heard about the coup and saw pictures of private citizens handing flowers to guys in tanks I booked my return.

By the way what planet are you from. This is a legitimate Government the same as the three before it. Not saying I approve of them but they are legitimate.

I'm tempted to agree with you, HelloDolly, that Yingluck is the best PM Thailand has seen in a great long while....I'm just not there yet.

Wow! there's a message here (I underlined below):

"She said the US was honoured to have bilateral cooperation with Thailand on extradition and criminal assistance. She noted that the US had always responded to Thai government requests made under the two legal agreements, hinting that there had been no extradition request in Thaksin's case."

So why no extradition request?

• Like 1

As an American Citizen, I am embarrassed by our US government's groveling at the feet of Thaksin.

The fact is that he is a convicted criminal, who jumped bail. That is a fact. And there is no way under US law he should be granted a visa...unless higher ups in the Immigration Dept approved it and told the lower grade officers to give him a visa. Despicable in my view. He has no right to enter our country. He is a convict. He was tried by the Thai judicial system, not by the coup makers. His wife, with Thaksin's written permission, was given the special right to buy a huge tract of valuable government property near Suvarnabhumi Airport, just before the government auctioned the land, at a huge discount. Classic corruption....as was Thaksin's arrogant style. Those were the types of things that got him thrown out of power. His buying his way back into power.... by funding huge sums of money to Puy yai bans, Orbortors, MP's, etc through out the northeast and north....is common knowledge...not even disputed. But the US government decides to play sides and act like this was just a political prosecution and a political injustice. Embarrassing...for me.

Don't let little things like facts get in the way of your discourse there - you can't even get where the land in question is right.

There was no 'special right' to buy the land let alone a huge discount involved. The bid from Pojaman was higher than the Land Departments valuation and also was higher then the other two bids received from Land and House and Noble House. Also there was the issue of Article 4 of the National Counter Corruption Act which states that the accused must directly supervise the damaged party when at the time the FIDF came under The Bank of Thailand.

The focus of my comment was that is is embarrassing that the US gave Thaksin a Visa. Yes...I had the Land location wrong, mistake accepted (insert: Ratchadaphisek Rd). But your "facts" are clearly selected for impression. Why not mention that the first real auction was cancelled? I wonder why? That is how Pojaman got her chance to put a bid in. Not Important fact? The real point here is "that Mr Thaksin had violated Articles 100 and 122 of the NACC Act which states that government officials, including prime ministers and their spouses, are prohibited from entering into or having an interest in contracts with state agencies under their supervision." Those laws exist in many contemporary societies, where you try to keep the family of the government officials from buying land from government agencies. Pretty basic law to prevent corruption. You needn't try to re-litigate the case, especially one that has many hidden details. Point is that Thaksin was found guilty by Thai courts, he is a convicted criminal, and he jumped bail. The US should never have given him a Visa...period.

• Like 1

The focus of my comment was that is is embarrassing that the US gave Thaksin a Visa. Yes...I had the Land location wrong, mistake accepted (insert: Ratchadaphisek Rd). But your "facts" are clearly selected for impression. Why not mention that the first real auction was cancelled? I wonder why? That is how Pojaman got her chance to put a bid in. Not Important fact? The real point here is "that Mr Thaksin had violated Articles 100 and 122 of the NACC Act which states that government officials, including prime ministers and their spouses, are prohibited from entering into or having an interest in contracts with state agencies under their supervision." Those laws exist in many contemporary societies, where you try to keep the family of the government officials from buying land from government agencies. Pretty basic law to prevent corruption. You needn't try to re-litigate the case, especially one that has many hidden details. Point is that Thaksin was found guilty by Thai courts, he is a convicted criminal, and he jumped bail. The US should never have given him a Visa...period.

The problem is that the judgement itself shows how political the whole situation was. As you state above " The real point here is "that Mr Thaksin had violated Articles 100 and 122 of the NACC Act which states that government officials, including prime ministers and their spouses, are prohibited from entering into or having an interest in contracts with state agencies under their supervision." " so how on earth could they have found Thaksin guilty but Pojaman not guilty? There is also the point that the Bank of Thailand as supervisory body for the FIDF checked with the NCCC before hand who confirmed that the deal was not in breach of Article 100.

The whole thing stinks of the witch hunt that the set up of the AEC clearly was with a clear agenda to pin something on Thaksin even to the point of them drafting the complaint for the FIDF to sign as the one that was originally submitted did not name Thaksin.

Thaksin's version of democracy and the American version are a match made in heaven.

??because..........................??

http://www.nationmul...goal-90343.html

OK. I get it...safe to say, we all get it, you don't like Thaksin and after reading that, I can't say he'd be on my top ten list. But, that article doesn't address my question. Spoon feed me.

edit: call me slow, but after a second read I noticed that's from The Nation. Please don't call that a valid source. I've read many of your informative posts, but using The Nation as a source is beneath you...unless you're making a joke. Are you joking?

Edited by mamypoko

Perhaps the US can issue exceptions to certain convictions especially highly politicized / political ones. What % of public officials is not corrupt? I'd venture to guess if The Court in Hague convicts him for crimes against humanity (drug extra judicial killings) the US would look at it in a much different light.

At least Thaksin wont become a burden to society / taxpayers. Reminiscent of an old joke "Illegal immigrants are like sperm - millions of them come in but only one works."

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Thaksin, but the fact remains he was a democratically elected PM who was illegally ousted from power by a military coup, whose protagonists then went on to grant themselves amnesties.

Is it any wonder the politically-sophisticated world doesn't see it through Thai-tinted spectacles? Nor many Thais either.

Thaksin resigned, he didnt manage to form a coalition, during the coup he was a illegal "Caretaker Premier". He didnt want to let go of power.

Read the link from The Guardian.

http://www.guardian....!--NoParse10-->

Thaksin did not resign. He wasn't an illegal caretaker premier during the coup. You might be right in the statement that he didn't want to let go of power. Keep on reading, if possible not only the Guardian...........................

Dream on.....

Given that she is a career diplomat, why didn't she keep her mouth shut, something diplomats learn to do when contentious issues occur?

The British Ambassador, on his way out, spoke his mind openly and honestly about a number of issues. I respect him for that