Microsoft Forced To Rename Windows 8

happysanook

"Just as Microsoft finished Windows 8 and sent it to manufacturing, the company got a rude surprise: it could not claim any rights to the brand name because a German firm, Metro AG, owned it.

That must have left a lot of people in Microsoft's legal department pretty red-faced, as the Metro name has been used regularly in all Microsoft materials since the operating system was first discussed.....

....A spokesperson from Microsoft had no comment to Notebook Review on any rumored names, but did confirm that the Metro name would be shelved."

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6539

Windows 8 is still called Windows 8 and the name hasn't been changed at all.

The title of the OP is confusing, but indeed Windows 8 will not be renamed but they (MS) are forced to drop the "Metro" branding for its tile-based design

Edited by MJCM

Windows 8 is still called Windows 8 and the name hasn't been changed at all.

Sorry, you've misunderstood...perhaps because of my poor topic headline...

The desktop interface was to be called "Metro" and indeed has been referred to as such all along. However that is now changed and currently it's referred to as "modern UI interface" or simply "Windows 8"

Made me laugh, MS saying 'the name is not what matters' , well why didn't they call it 'modern user interface' in the first place instead of 'Metro'.

Of course, if they are absolutely sure that the name does not matter then call it "Vista 2". rolleyes.gif

Sloppy work not checking trademarks earlier.

• Like 1

Made me laugh, MS saying 'the name is not what matters' , well why didn't they call it 'modern user interface' in the first place instead of 'Metro'.

Of course, if they are absolutely sure that the name does not matter then call it "Vista 2". rolleyes.gif

Happens in the best families. Remember Apple's red face when a Chinese had registered "iPad" in China way before Apple? Cost them a lot of many and probably someone got fired in the IP department. It's called "due dilligence".

Happens in the best families. Remember Apple's red face when a Chinese had registered "iPad" in China way before Apple? Cost them a lot of many and probably someone got fired in the IP department. It's called "due dilligence".

The difference there though was that Apple had bought the name back in 2009 from Proview, but typical Asian style the company never properly registered the deal...so Apple raped for an additional 60million. Usually I'm anti Apple, but in this deal, they were the good guy and got fkd badly by China.