How Many Of You Encountered Thais Who Are Trustworthy & Sincere Enough ?

Holysteel

So why would a farang wholeheartedly trust a Thai fully . Lol....this makes no sense at all.

Rather like how you manage to type without drooling doesn't make sense with your sweepingly moronic generalization worthy of someone who can;t remember their own name unless someone sings "Happy Birthday" to them.

Unfortunately, in Thailand they don't include your name in the 'happy birthday' song.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why would a farang wholeheartedly trust a Thai fully . Lol....this makes no sense at all.

Rather like how you manage to type without drooling doesn't make sense with your sweepingly moronic generalization worthy of someone who can;t remember their own name unless someone sings "Happy Birthday" to them.

Unfortunately, in Thailand they don't include your name in the 'happy birthday' song.

Very true.

Very true.

That would require at least one additional English word in the vocabulary. :rolleyes:

Get out the tourist area. To answer your stupid question - I have met countless Thais who are sincere and trustworthy,

What about your homecountry - how many sincere and trustworthy people have you met there?

I like your point about 'your homecountry', There are good and bad people in every society.

There are plenty of farang living in Thailand who I wouldn't trust with a one baht coin:

- Farang who I thought was a good friend who stole my camera to buy a gold chain for his teeluk.

- Three different farang, one with a farang wife, who trashed my rental house, and tried numerous games to reduce the rent - e.g. farang wife transfers the rent money two months into the rental agreement but deducts 20%. I ask her why? 'Because it's not so hot so we haven't been using the pool'.

She also accused one specific security guard in the village of damaging her car. Check of CCTV tapes proved it was her drunken farang husband who hit a wall near the house trying to park the car.

Farang manager of the village called the police. Police checked the tapes etc., then demanded she apologize and give the security boy 10,000Baht. I demanded she pay for repairs to the wall, police demanded she hand over another 10,000 on the spot. I then gave them 7 days to move out with no return of security deposit.

Policeman said to me, in Thai, if you have any further problems call me and gave me his mobile no. Police didn't ask for any cut of the money she paid over. They did move out quickly, his employer heard about the incident (other farang employees living in same village) and farang senior manager told the employee to send his wife home within 7 days.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

and the motorcycle guy who will happily head off the bank for me to pay my Visa bill with 60k in his pocket.

he has been running my errands for 10 years now easily.

he always seems to come back.

feeds my cat when im gone too.

I have the same deal, one mocy guy who has many times paid bills, many times I've given him 10,000 with a long shopping list etc. Exact change always returned. I tip him generously because he helps me a lot and he is entitled to be paid for this work.

We have one tuk tuk driver who often takes my grandaughter to school and picks her up to come home. Totally trustworthy, totally reliable, and he's a very safe driver.

Edited by scorecard

I have bumped into a number of pricing scams (Always in a tourist trap area). I now ALWAYS confirm the price of anything before I purchase it...even a piece of ginger at the talat sod. Or the 10 baht charge to check the air in your motorbike tyre...

On the other hand, I have experienced a number of kind and generous acts from workaday thai people.

For example:

The other day when I visited the local steel shop, to have some book shelves made up, my girl mentioned to the welder that we then had to go and buy a hammer drill to drill the required holes in my office wall. He said dont be stupid (in Thai), and lent me his Hilti drill and a couple of masonry bits. This bloke didn't know me from a bar of soap...it was the first time I had been in his shop. The drill was a cracker (back home they cost upward of $500) and made short work of drilling in my brick wall. And to top things off, the Thai bloke only charged my 400 THB to fabricate (supply the steel, cut, weld and drill to my specs) the wall brackets. He even painted them...

Or the islamic boat builders in a dirt poor village north of Tukua Pa, who collectively mavelled at my old longboard...and, upon spying a couple of dings, wouldn't let me leave until they had repaired those holes...and then adamantly refused to take any money off me for the job.

The list goes on....

I have a few negative stories but lots and lots of positives. As I have stated in other posts, my main strategy for a maintaining a happy life in Phuket it to never visit Patong

I have bumped into a number of pricing scams (Always in a tourist trap area). I now ALWAYS confirm the price of anything before I purchase it...even a piece of ginger at the talat sod. Or the 10 baht charge to check the air in your motorbike tyre...

On the other hand, I have experienced a number of kind and generous acts from workaday thai people.

For example:

The other day when I visited the local steel shop, to have some book shelves made up, my girl mentioned to the welder that we then had to go and buy a hammer drill to drill the required holes in my office wall. He said dont be stupid (in Thai), and lent me his Hilti drill and a couple of masonry bits. This bloke didn't know me from a bar of soap...it was the first time I had been in his shop. The drill was a cracker (back home they cost upward of $500) and made short work of drilling in my brick wall. And to top things off, the Thai bloke only charged my 400 THB to fabricate (supply the steel, cut, weld and drill to my specs) the wall brackets. He even painted them...

Or the islamic boat builders in a dirt poor village north of Tukua Pa, who collectively mavelled at my old longboard...and, upon spying a couple of dings, wouldn't let me leave until they had repaired those holes...and then adamantly refused to take any money off me for the job.

The list goes on....

I have a few negative stories but lots and lots of positives. As I have stated in other posts, my main strategy for a maintaining a happy life in Phuket it to never visit Patong

In the UK l have been stitched up by ''friends'', my ex wife and a so called business ''friend''. You may say l am gullible, perhaps, but l trust ''friends'' to be just that. In LOS l can read a scam from 2 miles away. Easy. thumbsup.gifsmile.png

Get out the tourist area. To answer your stupid question - I have met countless Thais who are sincere and trustworthy,

What about your homecountry - how many sincere and trustworthy people have you met there?

I like your point about 'your homecountry', There are good and bad people in every society.

There are plenty of farang living in Thailand who I wouldn't trust with a one baht coin:

- Farang who I thought was a good friend who stole my camera to buy a gold chain for his teeluk.

- Three different farang, one with a farang wife, who trashed my rental house, and tried numerous games to reduce the rent - e.g. farang wife transfers the rent money two months into the rental agreement but deducts 20%. I ask her why? 'Because it's not so hot so we haven't been using the pool'.

She also accused one specific security guard in the village of damaging her car. Check of CCTV tapes proved it was her drunken farang husband who hit a wall near the house trying to park the car.

Farang manager of the village called the police. Police checked the tapes etc., then demanded she apologize and give the security boy 10,000Baht. I demanded she pay for repairs to the wall, police demanded she hand over another 10,000 on the spot. I then gave them 7 days to move out with no return of security deposit.

Policeman said to me, in Thai, if you have any further problems call me and gave me his mobile no. Police didn't ask for any cut of the money she paid over. They did move out quickly, his employer heard about the incident (other farang employees living in same village) and farang senior manager told the employee to send his wife home within 7 days.

A bit more. The wife was entitled to have a company driver twice a week to take her around the mega stores / supermarkets. After two months or so the company drivers, en masse, refused to take her.

Why? Because she borrowed money from the drivers and it was never returned.

When she first arrived she quickly formed friendships with some other farang wives but quickly the others avoided her and cut her out of 'ladies lunches' etc. Why? Because she always ordered big and never paid her share - nothing, always another excuse about 'I left my purse home', 'I lost my ATM card and have to wait for new one from England', etc.

Also she had a maid who was to come to the house 2 hours every morning and was paid the minimum possibly wage, but madame insisted almost every day she stay longer to do more tasks than agreed. The maid moved on very quickly and was never paid her final money.

Edited by scorecard

After a decent amount of time in Thailand - long enough - I don't much like the Thais and I certainly do not trust them.

I have a funny feeling that they don't like you much either.

When I run into someone who trots out the old "Thais don't like farang" line I invariably think " More than likely they don't like you as an individual and after having had to listen to your utter <deleted> and b/s for the past five minutes I have to commend them on their astuteness."

Edited by mca

Get out a blank piece of paper and estimate how many people you have known in your life.

Now write down the names of those you would trust implicity.

Work out the percentage..........then factor in that some you trust let you down.

I trust my parents and sisters implicity as they have shoen over the years that they will always back me up.

I don't trust my kids........go figure.

This may look abrupt.......but there are so msny breach of trust stories you wonder why people are in such a rush to hand out such a precious and fragile commodity.

Get out a blank piece of paper and estimate how many people you have known in your life.

Now write down the names of those you would trust implicity.

Work out the percentage..........then factor in that some you trust let you down.

I trust my parents and sisters implicity as they have shoen over the years that they will always back me up.

I don't trust my kids........go figure.

This may look abrupt.......but there are so msny breach of trust stories you wonder why people are in such a rush to hand out such a precious and fragile commodity.

I have exactly the same thoughts and the reason is, past experiences. sad.png

After a decent amount of time in Thailand - long enough - I don't much like the Thais and I certainly do not trust them.

I have a funny feeling that they don't like you much either.

When I run into someone who trots out the old "Thais don't like farang" line I invariably think " More than likely they don't like you as an individual and after having had to listen to your utter <deleted> and b/s for the past five minutes I have to commend them on their astuteness."

Indeed. Whenever I run in to someone ranting about how awful Thais are and how much they hate farang and blah blah blah, they are virtually always a miserable, insufferable wanke_r. No mate, Thais don't hate farang... they hate YOU, and I don't blame them. Clearly a few completely miserable people out there that no one wants to be around unless they are getting something out of it

• Like 2

I'm living here for 7 years and I have more real Thai friends who are here for me whenever I need them (without asking anything in return)... and I just have 2 foreigners real friends (white boys), cause most of other foreigners just talking about money and girls and don't respect local Thai people, as most of the time, they're acting as colonialist.

Study Thai language, look around and learn how the life is here

• Like 1