Thai Govt Are Reviewing Possibilities To Green-Light Eco-Car For Taxi Use

webfact

Government reviewing possibilities to green-light Eco-car for taxi use

BANGKOK, 15 August 2012 (NNT) – The government is considering to encourage taxi drivers to switch to energy-saving vehicles.

Deputy Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt said on Tuesday that the Transport Ministry is considering to introduce an energy-saving vehicle, known as Eco-car as an alternative for taxi drivers.

According to the current ministerial rules, vehicles used as taxis must have the minimum engine size of 1,500 cc. However, the Eco-car’s engine size is merely 1,300 cc.

Mr. Chadchart said that the Land Transport Department has been assigned to conduct a feasibility study for this initiative and, so far, it is clear that at least 2 sets of ministerial rules are to be amended.

He added that the study also pointed out that the efficiency of the Eco-car as taxi appears more limited than expected. Therefore, he is now not in favor of the policy.

The Deputy Transport Minister also said that the Transport Ministry and the Energy Ministry as well as taxi business operators are in the middle of discussion on the proposed extension of taxi license validity from 9 to 12 years in order to help taxi drivers cope with rising fuel and vehicle costs and the current economic hardship.

A meeting on the issue is set on August 16th, with the conclusion expected within 2 weeks, said Mr. Chadchart.

The Transport Ministry’s data suggested that there are currently 104,239 registered taxis in Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-15 footer_n.gif

so cars need to have at least 1500cc, but no seat belts required for passengers

and if you ever have taken a taxi ride in thailand, you know you might need them as they drive like F1 cars, or at least, when they had their medicine

• Like 1

so cars need to have at least 1500cc, but no seat belts required for passengers

and if you ever have taken a taxi ride in thailand, you know you might need them as they drive like F1 cars, or at least, when they had their medicine

I second that... On my first trip to Thailand many years ago, a taxi was going to take me from DM to the hotel I booked. On the merely 30 minutes drive, I thought a few times I closed my eyes and was convinced I might never make it alive to my hotel. After all, it would have been my problem because if I would not h ave been in Thailand, it never would have happened. So I might have been the one to blame for any possible kind of accident...

There is nothing wrong with allowing a smaller engine size, cheaper car, less fuel, and if conversions to gas are used, more efficient (I guess) but there should be some form of driver training or these guys straight from Issarn will simply run at redline and wrong gears. Everyone of them rides the clutch in the manuals and there are still many on the road that are in such poor condition they could never have been really assessed as 'roadworthy'.

But in all this, look for the scam. Who will supply, at what retail to the drivers?

I for one think that as most traffic cannot travel at more than 30-60kms per hour in congested traffic, why bitch about 1.3 litre? And of course 1.3litre can easily travel at more than 110kms/hour so where is the issue? As long as the bodies do not get smaller I say go for it.

I never carry luggage when I need to use a taxi, but if I was coming from the airport with 1 or 2 suitcases, where would they go, on the roof?

Taxis in the UK are practical as most international travelers know.

Cramming oneself into a tiny sub compact does not seem the way I would want to start my arrival in Thailand.

Does anyone know anything about the actual vehicle? Potentially very good for everyone, but... TIT!

Says volumes that the Deputy director says they may not be as efficient as previously believed. I guess it was just another pie in the sky idea from some pompous ass of a politician.

How about a 2 tiered taxi system with some real "green" taxis for inner Bangkok and big cities and use the more powerful petrol powered cars for longer journeys? Ah but that might upset the Tuk Tuks. Oh forget it.

Anyway I am sure they got to spend lots of money on studies and expenses.

The government could always subsidize fleet purchases to Taxi Companies of the Prius, thereby encouraging some domestic demand to help Toyota ramp up production for global markets... everybody wins in this one right?

Except your typical Prius needs to cover 15,000,000,000km and last for 47 years in order to off set its production's environmental impact. No really, it says it in really small print on the recycled paper brochure.

I'll be gettin me coat now... smile.png

Edited by Pomthai

Me thinks what it boils down to is, how to equally split up the bribe money from the sale of these new eco taxi's.. when that's figured out, then you will see a new law being passed that mandates all taxi's be eco-taxi's.