Non-O (Retirement) In Savannakhet For Myself And Spouse?

We are currently here on tourist visas, and will soon (next week) be eligible for the combination method of pension plus cash in a Thai bank. Since our tourist visas are soon to expire, would it be possible to obtain the pre-requisite non-o visas, for both me and my non-Thai wife in Savannakhet? The idea being to apply for extension of stay back in Bangkok during the last 30 days of the non-o validity.

Specifically, what documents will be required at the Thai embassy in Savannakhet for my non-o based on retirement, and for my wife, based on living with a spouse?

Thanks in advance.

You may be able to obtain but your wife will not be eligible until you are on an extension of stay so she should apply for normal tourist visa and extend that. Once you are down to less than 30 days remaining you can obtain the extension of stay for retirement and with that and marriage proof she can obtain a non immigrant O visa to allow matching extension of stay as dependent.

The method to do both together would require application for non immigrant O-A visa in country of residence as that is a pre-approved extension of stay so dependents can obtain non immigrant O visas on that basis at the same time.

If your wife is over 50 she should also be able to get the non-o visa. But think Vientiane might be better choice for the visa run because I seem to recall that Savannakhet does not do non-o's for retirement.

You could also do a change of visa status at immigration that would give you a non-o and then you could do your extension during the last 30 days of that visa. You would need at least 15 days left on your current permit to stay to do it though. Immigration will not do change of visa status for a dependent extension. So your wife would still have to get a non-o visa.

Actually, my wife is under 50, so we would need to 'piggyback' her on my retirement extension.

Glad you mention the issue at Savannakhet, although I would like to confirm it. It's a lot more convenient for us to go there than to Vientiane.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help. We may have to just take a step back, and do another round of visa runs...

Cheers.

If you get a tourist visa or even just a border hop, yu might be able to convert to a non-immirgant visa based on retirement inside Thailand. But will depend on your immirgation office if they will send you to Bangkok to do it or not.

Could I convert a tourist visa 30 day extension to the non-o? We still have the option to do the 30 day extension. Of course, my wife would still have to go to Vientiane (or equivalent) for a non-o to 'piggyback', but the timing would be better.