Time For A Smartphone: Budget 10,000Bt

prophet01

I went to a few independent box shifters who all had 3G restricted frequency units (either 850MHz or 900MHz) so not interested but I suspect that the frequencies are simply disabled and could be altered to suit.

I seriously doubt if any units are 3G restricted, this would be a first. Yes, the box/label may be "customized" for different retail channels here, and this only highlight the 3G band(s) that particular channel partners' (i.e. TWZ, 900 MHz 3G, AIS) service provider offers. In fact, the unit would support 85 MHz as well. The unit is not somehow restricted with specialized software.

I got a quote for a Samsung Galaxy S Advance for 11,000 THB from a counter shop, (extended adopted family relative) in Seacon Square (via SMS this morning). She basically gets the product from a wholesaler and makes money on any ancillary products, as she has some monthly top line revenue targets.

When I used the word "restricted" i meant preventing the unit from being used by certain carriers due to what I suspect from my little bit of research that the units have had certain frequencies disabled, either the 900 or 850MHz frequencies as I alluded (i.e. restricted from being able to work on certain frequencies.)

No doubt in my mind about the best value smartphone for around 10,000 Baht - it's the dual-core Xiaomi Mi-One plus which is compatible with all Thai frequencies.

I finally got mine delivered from China 2 mths ago although I had to wait several months for it due to the huge domestic demand.

An updated quad-core variant has just been announced for the same price (1999 Yuan) and will undoubtedly be exceedingly popular like it's predecessor when it's released later this year.

OS is MIUI and gets updates OTA about once/month - the only drawback is the effort one has to put into actually getting this device shipped from China but I can tell you, it really is the Bees Knees and well worth the trouble!

Are there any local distributors of these Chinese android phones? What languages come pre-installed?

Any comments from actual Thailand owners of the Huawei Ascend G300 OR the slightly older, slightly less expensive Huawei Ideos X5? Both appear great on paper, a good value in the local phone marketplace, both have good reviews, and both appear in favorable Youtube clips, and seem to have authorized warranty service possible even in Buriram. Thanks in advance for sharing your recent experiences with either of these two models of an android phone.

I went to a few independent box shifters who all had 3G restricted frequency units (either 850MHz or 900MHz) so not interested but I suspect that the frequencies are simply disabled and could be altered to suit.

I seriously doubt if any units are 3G restricted, this would be a first. Yes, the box/label may be "customized" for different retail channels here, and this only highlight the 3G band(s) that particular channel partners' (i.e. TWZ, 900 MHz 3G, AIS) service provider offers. In fact, the unit would support 85 MHz as well. The unit is not somehow restricted with specialized software.

I got a quote for a Samsung Galaxy S Advance for 11,000 THB from a counter shop, (extended adopted family relative) in Seacon Square (via SMS this morning). She basically gets the product from a wholesaler and makes money on any ancillary products, as she has some monthly top line revenue targets.

When I used the word "restricted" i meant preventing the unit from being used by certain carriers due to what I suspect from my little bit of research that the units have had certain frequencies disabled, either the 900 or 850MHz frequencies as I alluded (i.e. restricted from being able to work on certain frequencies.)

No, your suspicions are unfounded.If the unit is quad-band capable then distributors do not disable certain frequencies. All they do, at most, is modify the label/packaging conveniently omitting the words "850 MHz" - on the label ONLY - if destined for an AIS/TWZ outlet. For example, you could buy an SGAdvance from AIS and it will work on DTAC and/or True. Units here are not crippled, hobbled, disabled or otherwise restricted.

Edited by lomatopo

Whilst it's quite clear that you are by far more knowledgeable than me in these matters I must challenge your statement that my "suspicions are unfounded".

The below thread would appear to disprove your assertion that units are not disabled as a number of the posters appear to have successfully enabled the previously disabled 850Mhz frequency on their units.

http://androidforums...0-galaxy-s.html

Whilst it's quite clear that you are by far more knowledgeable than me in these matters I must challenge your statement that my "suspicions are unfounded".

The below thread would appear to disprove your assertion that units are not disabled as a number of the posters appear to have successfully enabled the previously disabled 850Mhz frequency on their units.

http://androidforums...0-galaxy-s.html

Oy vey, not this old chestnut.

First off, I thought we were talking about the Samsung Galaxy S Advance (I9070) being a quad-band 3G phone? And your suspicion that some retail outlets may have restricted the 3G bands?

Secondly, a Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) was (is) a tri-band (900/1900/2100 MHz) 3G-capable phone. It does not have the requisite hardware to support 850 MHz 3G even though that 'option' might appear in the service menu. The Samsung Captivate (i897) is a Samsung Galaxy S variant which supports 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G,

And thirdly, your suspicions are unfounded.