Time For A Smartphone: Budget 10,000Bt

prophet01

So, having been happy with my Samsung Tocca Ultra for 3 years its time to move on.

I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 which is within my self imposed budget of 10,000Bt. Budget isn't because I can't afford higher, its because I doubt I'd use the full capabilities of a high end unit.

http://www.techradar...#articleContent

Anyway, before I buy I wondered if anyone would care to comment on my choice of unit and/or recommend who to buy from in terms of contract type. i don't make many calls so my main criteria would be a cheap/unlimited web browsing package.

Am in Phuket and have only ever used my DTAC PAYG sim

Good choice of phone in the medium price range.

I have the galaxy s plus, few thousand more (12000) but it has the super amoled screen, slightly bigger as well at 4".

I think the ace only does 3g on 900 mhz (mine does) so you would be stuck with ais/one2call as provider!

Do double check. Dtac and True-h need 850 mhz.

For unlimited internet with Ais you'll pay 799 (+7% vat) per month, but after 3gb of data transfer your speed will go down to 384 kbps. The smaller packages are not unlimited, so after the data transfer limit they will start eating your phone's credit.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Also check out the new Sony xperia phones. Getting good reviews. Getting the android updates quicker than Samsung (who are renowned for being slow on updates)

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I picked up the Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V, my first android, and it seems to work fine. One thing about some of these phones, they can get warm because of the speed of the chip. Other than that, I am satisfied with my selection. I paid 8.5k at Power Buy, Central Mall on Beach Road, Pattaya.

The phone came loaded with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and the box says that it is Ice Cream Sandwich ready. I have not upgraded it yet... I am just a little chicken and once I grow a sac, I will do it! giggle.gif

The pictures look fine, the phone sounds good, the speaker sounds good for music/books on tape or old time radio.

One thing that shocked me was the stock contact list... No field for birthdays blink.png So you need to find a contact app which includes birthdays or find a separate app for birthdays if necessary. However, the few contact apps that I have seen want to treat the phone as the repository for all your contacts from all systems... gmail, facebook, linkdin etc so the phone will import your contacts along with their birthday information. If, for example, your gmail contact list is messy, that same mess will be imported into your phone. Take time now to cleanse your contact data so that your phone information will be correct.

Also check out the new Sony xperia phones. Getting good reviews. Getting the android updates quicker than Samsung (who are renowned for being slow on updates)

I picked up the Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V, my first android, and it seems to work fine. One thing about some of these phones, they can get warm because of the speed of the chip. Other than that, I am satisfied with my selection. I paid 8.5k at Power Buy, Central Mall on Beach Road, Pattaya.

The phone came loaded with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and the box says that it is Ice Cream Sandwich ready. I have not upgraded it yet... I am just a little chicken and once I grow a sac, I will do it! giggle.gif

The pictures look fine, the phone sounds good, the speaker sounds good for music/books on tape or old time radio.

One thing that shocked me was the stock contact list... No field for birthdays blink.png So you need to find a contact app which includes birthdays or find a separate app for birthdays if necessary. However, the few contact apps that I have seen want to treat the phone as the repository for all your contacts from all systems... gmail, facebook, linkdin etc so the phone will import your contacts along with their birthday information. If, for example, your gmail contact list is messy, that same mess will be imported into your phone. Take time now to cleanse your contact data so that your phone information will be correct.

If you check it on the supplied software. I think you will find ICS is ready AND will make a great improvement. I have just been reading about it. I gotta say Sony seems far more interested in customer satisfaction than Samsung. I have two 2011 samsung devices. Both stuck on 2.3. Bastards :)

way better bang for your buck is Lenova a789. Dual core Cortex a9 1.2GHz instead of 800MHz...With all the goodies included. Rear and front camera, light sensor, gravity sensor, gps, 3g etc... etc. <6000 baht. ..And it's dual SIM. http://www.aliexpres...atId=0&manual=y

also look at the Zopo zp100. Excellent IPS 960x540 4.3" Sharp brand LCD and Sony camera. All the goodies + Dual SIM. Takes very good pictures. But only single core....1GHz...Which shouldn't be a problem unless doing heavy multitasking. http://www.aliexpres...atId=0&manual=y

if wanting to get a bit fancy, the zp200 has glass free 3d and zp300 has a 4.5" retina (1280x720)..these are in the 8000baht range...still single core 1ghz, but dual SIM...can look on aliexpress, or here: http://www.zopomobileshop.com/en/

the negatives of these are service. though they are warrantied for a year...likely you'll have to send back our of Thailand if any problems.

Edited by happysanook

I'm new to Android, picked up a cheap Chinese tablet (ICS) a few months ago. Been doing a lot of scanning of msg boards and such. Within a few weeks of my purchase ICS 4.04 came out and Jellybean was announced, so this got me thinking about the upgrade process. From what I found it looks to me that Samsung has the right idea in providing ways of upgrading Android via a straight-foward process. If this works as advertised and the outcome is dependable then this is something in Samsung's favor. I have no qualms about scrubbing a computer's disk and installing a new OS, but flashing ROMs and running the risk of bricking always keeps me away from trying.

For this reason, and at this point in the development of my Android knowledge, if I got serious about Android I would probably gravitate toward Samsung products. By the time I do it someone else may come along and with an even better updating process.

What I am uncomfortable about is that I don't understand what all Android is doing. So many of the things I've installed are running as background processes even though I hardly ever use them, eg my word processor; process killers may kill all the background processes but they will start again, the only alternative is to uninstall. I am not sure what kind of communication is being performed, and with what entities. A general mistrust as I have no idea if my camera, microphone etc is being enabled/disabled without my consent -- words are not enough ("no problem baba, no one is taking your picture hahaha..."), I want to see for myself. For this reason my tablet contains no data that is personal or important, and could end up just being my book-reading tablet (it has wifi but neither phone nor GPS nor NFC). Will do more research in this area when I have the time.

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

Happy... what about warranty?????

yes, that is the one trade off. they are warrantied for 1 year, and assuming you deal with a good vendor, they will honor that warranty, but the buyer would likely be responsible for shipping. paying nearly 1/2 the cost for superior specs is worth the risk IMO. these are decent built phones, the Lenovo and Zopo...The Zopo has an IPS Sharp screen and Sony camera... Excellent quality in both respects.. And we all know Lenovo. I'm not sure about Lenovo's warranty, perhaps it could even be honored in Thailand... Would be worth investigating...

The zp200 with the 3d screen has HDMI out and mini-usb as well...

here's a short review of zp200...if not interested in the hdmi/mini usb in/3d would go with the zp100...and if wanting the dual core, would go with Lenovo a789, but there's some tradeoff in picture quality and LCD with the Lenovo.. Not that the Lenovo LCD/Camera is garbage...it's just that it's more standard. The zp uses superior camera and LCD (better res/brightness/angles). The Zopo are 1GHz single core which should handle anything the average user throws at it and then some. suggest googling reviews to see other experiences with these Zopo phones, but they are all generally good from what I can find. keep in mind these are bargain priced phones for what the specs and quality are, i think they're a steal.

http://www.chinaphon...po-zp200-review

http://www.chinaphon...po-zp100-review

http://www.gizchina....buy-from-china/

Photo samples... near on par with your standard standalone point and shoot cameras.

http://androidmobile...log/tag/mtk6575

http://s682.photobuc.../neo5555/ZP300/

Edited by happysanook

Guys, thanks for all the input, all appreciated.

Galaxy Ace 2 remains on top for me after reading more detailed reviews listing pros and cons and comparisons with other manufacturer's offerings in the same price bracket.

'Er indoors has a Galaxy Ace Plus, which she generously allowed me to play with for 5 minutes (under constant supervision), and I would be happy with it so I'm sure that the higher spec'd Ace 2 will be wholly satisfactory.

Also toying with the idea of paying 2000BT more for the more higher spec'd Galaxy S Advance. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this idea.

Guys, thanks for all the input, all appreciated.

Galaxy Ace 2 remains on top for me after reading more detailed reviews listing pros and cons and comparisons with other manufacturer's offerings in the same price bracket.

'Er indoors has a Galaxy Ace Plus, which she generously allowed me to play with for 5 minutes (under constant supervision), and I would be happy with it so I'm sure that the higher spec'd Ace 2 will be wholly satisfactory.

Also toying with the idea of paying 2000BT more for the more higher spec'd Galaxy S Advance. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this idea.

Question. Check what version of android they have. Then check on the net to see if Samsung have stated IF they are going to update them to ICS or Jelly bean.

for both mentioned phones I think not. They are on 2.3 ( nothing wrong with 2.3 but ICS is mucho better)

I think the galaxy s advance is a good coice if it is acceptable budget wise.

Extra's you get are the 4" super amoled screen, quadband 3g, so free choice of provider and a faster 1 Ghz dual core cpu...

Indeed no ics for them, although Samsung included a few ics goodies in their layest 2.3.6 ginger version (facial reco, better picture manager editor, the folder capability etc...)

I don't think I would want to order overseas, warranty issues (my phone already has been replaced under warranty, no hassles), plus the risk of getting hit with import duties could eat away most of your savings...

I think the galaxy s advance is a good coice if it is acceptable budget wise.

Extra's you get are the 4" super amoled screen, quadband 3g, so free choice of provider and a faster 1 Ghz dual core cpu...

Indeed no ics for them, although Samsung included a few ics goodies in their layest 2.3.6 ginger version (facial reco, better picture manager editor, the folder capability etc...)

I don't think I would want to order overseas, warranty issues (my phone already has been replaced under warranty, no hassles), plus the risk of getting hit with import duties could eat away most of your savings...

And the same money will get you a nice Sony with ICS :D

Thaicbr

Yes, I believe both use Gingerbread and there doesn't appear to be any concrete confirmation of future upgrades to ICS or JB.

To be honest, although it would be nice to have the latest OS, it's not a deal breaker as I'm new to Android and as you say GB is perfectly adequate.

Monty

Precisely the reasons why I'm considering paying an extra 2000Bt for the S Advance, which was suggested by another BM on another thread.

Also, having seen prices today for an S2 it's got me thinking even more.

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by prophet01

Thaicbr

Yes, I believe both use Gingerbread and there doesn't appear to be any concrete confirmation of future upgrades to ICS or JB.

To be honest, although it would be nice to have the latest OS, it's not a deal breaker as I'm new to Android and as you say GB is perfectly adequate.

Monty

Precisely the reasons why I'm considering paying an extra 2000Bt for the S Advance, which was suggested by another BM on another thread.

Also, having seen prices today for an S2 it's got me thinking even more.

Decisions, decisions.

All Sony xperia models from 2011 and 2012 now have an ICS update.

Unfortunately Samsung have said 'no ' to the ones you are looking at. I like Samsung. I have no respect for Samsung not updating new products especially when other manufacturers with similar specs can.

Yes, it seems a bizarre sort of logic to deliberately alienate existing and potential customers and even more bizarre not to incorporate the latest software into newly released products after having upped specs.

Would love to know the rationale behind these decisions.

Yes, it seems a bizarre sort of logic to deliberately alienate existing and potential customers and even more bizarre not to incorporate the latest software into newly released products after having upped specs.

Would love to know the rationale behind these decisions.

Well Samsung have said that they believe these phones do not have sufficient Ram...... to run the bloatware that they put into their Roms:blink::blink::D:D

Edited by thaicbr

Anyway, after yesterday's window shopping session and playing with a few units I've pretty much decided to increase my budget to 12,000Bt and go for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance.

As Monty stated compared with the Ace 2 it has a faster processor, AMOLED screen, 8gb internal memory and is quad band so no problem with choice of carrier either here or on my regular jaunts back to the UK.

Edited by prophet01

Assuming you require 3G and want to stay with DTAC/Happy, or might be contemplating a move to TrueMove H then make sure whichever phone you select supports 850 MHz 3G.

I think there are two different versions of the Ace 2 available here in Thailand, one supports 900/1900/2100 MHz 3G (I8160) and the other supports 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G (I8160L).

http://www.thaimobil..._2.asp?str_ad=y

I think the Samsung Galaxy S Advance (I9070) only supports 900/1900/2100 MHz 3G.

http://www.thaimobil...vance_i9070.asp

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_advance-review-732.php

Phones here are not subsidized, for the most part, so you should really source the phone from a box/wholesale shop, then choose the service provider which you think offers the best service, coverage, plans. price, et al.

http://www.thaivisa....-maps-thailand/http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

An SGS2 (I9300) or SGN (I9250) might offer the best price/performance, and last for 2+ years, but these are a bit outside the OP's budget.

Edited by lomatopo

Anyway, after yesterday's window shopping session and playing with a few units I've pretty much decided to increase my budget to 12,000Bt and go for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance.

As Monty stated compared with the Ace 2 it has a faster processor, AMOLED screen, 8gb internal memory and is quad band so no problem with choice of carrier either here or on my regular jaunts back to the UK.

Hi, I was reading your thread and I used to think just like you - I understand where you're coming from that you don't want to go high-end as you don't see any need or use for the functions. I shunned high-end smartphones, never purchased an iphone, but recently shelled out for an S3. The real question is, what can't it do? If you aren't aware of the possibilities you'll see no need but it's really changed how I live and work. It's worth investigating as even the companies themselves don't advertise the full capabilities of their devices, the instructions are slim. Have a look on youtube videos.

Hi, I was reading your thread and I used to think just like you - I understand where you're coming from that you don't want to go high-end as you don't see any need or use for the functions. I shunned high-end smartphones, never purchased an iphone, but recently shelled out for an S3. The real question is, what can't it do? If you aren't aware of the possibilities you'll see no need but it's really changed how I live and work. It's worth investigating as even the companies themselves don't advertise the full capabilities of their devices, the instructions are slim. Have a look on youtube videos.

Who knows what I might find useful when I start getting to learn how to use the functions and the android o/s of this mid range (but still powerful) new phone/computer. The point for me is that I can justify to myself the expense of 12,000Bt but cannot justify the expense of a top of the range phone without knowing I will utilise it to the full

Some time in the future, when I've become sufficiently knowledgeable, it may well be that I can justify the expense of a top of the range unit, but by then who knows what other alternative devices will be available.

Assuming you require 3G and want to stay with DTAC/Happy, or might be contemplating a move to TrueMove H then make sure whichever phone you select supports 850 MHz 3G.

I think there are two different versions of the Ace 2 available here in Thailand, one supports 900/1900/2100 MHz 3G (I8160) and the other supports 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G (I8160L).

http://www.thaimobil..._2.asp?str_ad=y

I think the Samsung Galaxy S Advance (I9070) only supports 900/1900/2100 MHz 3G.

http://www.thaimobil...vance_i9070.asp

http://www.gsmarena....-review-732.php

Phones here are not subsidized, for the most part, so you should really source the phone from a box/wholesale shop, then choose the service provider which you think offers the best service, coverage, plans. price, et al.

http://www.thaivisa....-maps-thailand/http://www.thaivisa....-service-plans/

An SGS2 (I9300) or SGN (I9250) might offer the best price/performance, and last for 2+ years, but these are a bit outside the OP's budget.

According to gsmarena and Samsung the Galaxy S Advance (I9070) has 3G quad band capability (same as S3)

http://www.gsmarena....dvance-4469.php

So, is it not simply a case of enabling the desired frequency on the unit?

Edited by prophet01

According to gsmarena and Samsung the Galaxy S Advance (I9070) has 3G quad band capability (same as S3)

http://www.gsmarena....dvance-4469.php

So, is it not simply a case of enabling the desired frequency on the unit?

This happens often - the first two websites I looked at for specs on the I9070 stated "dual band 3: 900/2100" MHz (note that most phones are quad-band GSM) - including GSM Arena, per the link:

"Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G support"

Other web sites seem to indicate that this model supports 850/900/1900/2100 MHz 3G. What is important is that you are sure that the phone supports any/all 3G bands you may choose to use.

Typically the phone will auto-select, or roam if necessary, to available 3G networks, assuming you have a SIM installed and an APN defined. While you may be able to "force" a specific band by accessing the "test & service mode", this is rarely required or recommended.

Edited by lomatopo

No doubt in my mind about the best value smartphone for around 10,000 Baht - it's the dual-core Xiaomi Mi-One plus which is compatible with all Thai frequencies.

I finally got mine delivered from China 2 mths ago although I had to wait several months for it due to the huge domestic demand.

An updated quad-core variant has just been announced for the same price (1999 Yuan) and will undoubtedly be exceedingly popular like it's predecessor when it's released later this year.

OS is MIUI and gets updates OTA about once/month - the only drawback is the effort one has to put into actually getting this device shipped from China but I can tell you, it really is the Bees Knees and well worth the trouble!

• Like 1

Not uncommon to find sites reflecting different 3G freq spec for a phone. A lot may depend on the intended country/region of sale since 3G frequencies vary throughout the world.

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to use with DTAC here in Thailand. Several web sites will show its 3G capability as 900/2100Mhz (probably assumes AIS/a 900Mhz service provider). Even the Samsung Thailand web site reflects 900/2100Mhz When I bought my Ace 2 with emphasis on getting one which works with DTAC/True/850MHz the Samsung shop I bought from had models for either AIS or DTAC. On my phone box it said "DTAC 850/2100Mhz" and this was imprinted on the box from the factory; not a stick-on label...the imprint was just like all the other pictures/lettering on the box.

Now when I go into my phone's firmware service control area by using the general guidance at this Link, it reflects/implies a 850/1900/2100Mhz capability, but no 900Mhz. So maybe my Ace 2 really has 850, 1900, and 2100Mhz capability; then again maybe it's only 850/2100Mhz as imprinted on the box.

Edited by Pib

Not uncommon to find sites reflecting different 3G freq spec for a phone. A lot may depend on the intended country/region of sale since 3G frequencies vary throughout the world.

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 to use with DTAC here in Thailand. Several web sites will show its 3G capability as 900/2100Mhz (probably assumes AIS/a 900Mhz service provider). Even the Samsung Thailand web site reflects 900/2100Mhz When I bought my Ace 2 with emphasis on getting one which works with DTAC/True/850MHz the Samsung shop I bought from had models for either AIS or DTAC. On my phone box it said "DTAC 850/2100Mhz" and this was imprinted on the box from the factory; not a stick-on label...the imprint was just like all the other pictures/lettering on the box.

Now when I go into my phone's firmware service control area by using the general guidance at this Link, it reflects/implies a 850/1900/2100Mhz capability, but no 900Mhz. So maybe my Ace 2 really has 850, 1900, and 2100Mhz capability; then again maybe it's only 850/2100Mhz as imprinted on the box.

Your situation is really not at all similar...

There are two (2) versions of the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.

You have the I8160L, which supports 850/1900/2100 MHz 3G

The I8160 supports 900/1900/2100 MHz 3G.

AT&T uses 1900 MHz for 3G in some locales in the U.S.

For the Samsung Galaxy S Advance there appears to be but a single model number/version: I9070. I can't find a BoM or tear-down, and specs seem conflicting. My best guess is that it uses the same baseband IC as the SGS2/3 so should be quad-band 3G: 850/900/1900/2100, but I would obviously confirm that prior to purchase

Thanks for all the posts, and especially Pib for some great PM'd information.

I went ahead and bought the Galaxy S Advance unit a couple of days ago and have no regrets. Just loving it.

I went to a few independent box shifters who all had 3G restricted frequency units (either 850MHz or 900MHz) so not interested but I suspect that the frequencies are simply disabled and could be altered to suit.

However, went to the Samsung shop downstairs at Big C (Phuket) and had a chat with them. They confirmed that the units they sold were able to operate on all 4 3G frequencies and I could therefore use any service provider. So Dtac over here on 850MHz and GiffGaff (O2) in UK on 900MHz. Bingo.

They wanted 13,000 for the unit but I haggled down to 12,500 + protective case + screen protector.

Cheers all.

I went to a few independent box shifters who all had 3G restricted frequency units (either 850MHz or 900MHz) so not interested but I suspect that the frequencies are simply disabled and could be altered to suit.

I seriously doubt if any units are 3G restricted, this would be a first. Yes, the box/label may be "customized" for different retail channels here, and this only highlight the 3G band(s) that particular channel partners' (i.e. TWZ, 900 MHz 3G, AIS) service provider offers. In fact, the unit would support 85 MHz as well. The unit is not somehow restricted with specialized software.

I got a quote for a Samsung Galaxy S Advance for 11,000 THB from a counter shop, (extended adopted family relative) in Seacon Square (via SMS this morning). She basically gets the product from a wholesaler and makes money on any ancillary products, as she has some monthly top line revenue targets.