Red-Shirt Leader Weng Calls For Recognition Of I.C.C. Jurisdiction

webfact

Weng calls for recognition of ICC jurisdiction

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakan on Wednesday petitioned the government to recognise the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, paving way for the inquiry into the 2010 bloodshed.

Weng lodged his petition with Justice Minister Pracha Promnok. He earlier called for Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul to allow the ICC inquiry.

Reacting to the petition, Pracha said he would consult with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before presenting the matter for the Cabinet debate.

Weng said he hoped the government would agree to recognise the ICC in a one-off case so that the international judiciary could shed light on "who gave the order for the killing of the red shirts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-15

Weng said he hoped the government would agree to recognise the ICC in a one-off case so that the international judiciary could shed light on "who gave the order for the killing of the red shirts.

The ICC should respond with a two for one special offer.

• Like 1

Weng said he hoped the government would agree to recognise the ICC in a one-off case so that the international judiciary could shed light on "who gave the order for the killing of the red shirts

There's the 'one-off case' again. Maybe Dr. weng should check on how International Organisations look upon 'one-off'.

yes can check on the war against drugs at the same time

The ICC may also want to consider how many innocent passers-by were subjected to grenade fire from within the red protest camp.... and how that aggression was stirred up by the rally speeches: could end up being an own-goal when studied by impartial outsiders!

Or just respond with a one-finger reply.

Weng said he hoped the government would agree to recognise the ICC in a one-off case so that the international judiciary could shed light on "who gave the order for the killing of the red shirts

There's the 'one-off case' again. Maybe Dr. weng should check on how International Organisations look upon 'one-off'.

i always wonder what these people do any ways, For sure they are not running the country. What a waist of time

How about The War on Drugs and The Tak Bae massacre , they could also be investigated, but suppose that might implicate The DL.

What was wrong with the war on drugs?Thaksin did the right thing,Yeah sorry a few innocent people died,but most who died probably deserved to die,I'm happy for any drug baron or drug dealer who died at that time,unfortunately thaksin had to stop,if not thailand might be drug free by now,tak bae is and was an army thing,the army handles the south the way they want to handle it,they don't listen to any government in bkk,

How about The War on Drugs and The Tak Bae massacre , they could also be investigated, but suppose that might implicate The DL.

What was wrong with the war on drugs?Thaksin did the right thing,Yeah sorry a few innocent people died,but most who died probably deserved to die,I'm happy for any drug baron or drug dealer who died at that time,unfortunately thaksin had to stop,if not thailand might be drug free by now,tak bae is and was an army thing,the army handles the south the way they want to handle it,they don't listen to any government in bkk,

3 independent inquests have shown that over half the people killed had no involvement in the drugs trade.

You'd be happy to sign off on 1,400 possibly drugs related deaths and 1,300 non-drugs related deaths without a trial?

Says a lot.

You must live in cloud cuckoo land, and if the south was an Army thing, then why are the Reds going after Abhasit regarding Army actions?

You must be blinded by the <deleted> that comes from DL and his mob.

• Like 2

3 independent inquests have shown that over half the people killed had no involvement in the drugs trade.

You'd be happy to sign off on 1,400 possibly drugs related deaths and 1,300 non-drugs related deaths without a trial?

Says a lot.

Well, it might be Noppadon posting on his masters behalf.

Are you being serious?

• Sad 1

They got rid of the competion

with war on drugs.

The drugs never went away,

because the are still here more then ever was.

Just think of how some person on a thai police income

ends up driving a pink bently one of two in the world.

Not too hard to figure out.

• Like 1

Just how many drug barons were targeted, you will probably find not one. I assume you live in Thailand & will know the level of corruption in Thailand, including the police & military involved in illegal drug production & trafficking. As others have posted about 1,400 were murdered who apparently had no involvement in illegal drugs. Why not go and have a friendly chat with their families and let them know their loved ones deserved to die. I sure the experience will provide a well deserved attitude adjustment - that is if you are still alive

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Are you being serious?

As incredible as he sounds, he is.

When using sarcasm or humour to make a point, I myself would put a 'smiley' afterwards, so that nobody mistakes it for a serious post. wai.gif

Since half the people murdered, in Thaksin's War-On-Drugs, were later found to be innocent, it's hard to see how killing them contributed to making the country free of drugs. It was murder plain-and-simple, and nobody has ever been convicted, of any of those crimes. sad.png

Some stupid liberals, such as myself, might foolishly believe that even the people who were involved in drugs, deserved their day in court, and a chance to prove their innocence, before being casually shot out-of-hand. Rule-of-Law and all that ?

Lastly since few/none of the dead appeared to be king-pins or the big-bosses of the trade, perhaps killing a few low-end users/dealers was never going to do much to halt the trade ? wink.png

I'd love to see Thailand sign-up to the ICC, I suspect it would be a useful curb on similar actions, to know that there was some sort of potential long-term comeback for crimes-against-humanity, for the people taking decisions like these. But Weng is IMO mistaken to believe that it can be applied in just one specific case, without opening-the-door, to other cases too.

And since the Red-Shirt-government will carefully ignore his call, it's all rather by-the-way, in any case. Claiming pre-election to 'fight for justice' is one thing, actually taking positive steps to see it happen, is quite another !

You must live in cloud cuckoo land, and if the south was an Army thing, then why are the Reds going after Abhasit regarding Army actions?

You must be blinded by the <deleted> that comes from DL and his mob.

The army is best friend of abisit,,abisit government was army and royalist friendly,The army is the real leader of Thailand,and impossible for anybody to go after them,so they try to nail abisit for being the pm at that time

What if one of the few (1000+) innocent people being killed was your father? Would you make the same stupid comment?

Shame on you!

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Of course he does, there is no potential use for the ICC in the red calculations

if Thailand doesn't first bow to it's international authority officially.

Of course if that happens it is a nationalist loss of sovereignty, oh my,

and then Thailand is forever subject on OTHER issues to ICC authority,

and there really is little chance of a retro active finding for things from

BEFORE Thailand joined the ICC compact.

It also seems likely the ICC has told them they can not even FILE a case as non-members.

A damned hamster can go outside and do all the photo ops and press releases it likes,

it still can't do more than hand in a stack of papers for a non-ICC-member,

and have them get directly filed in the circular file bin.

Ignoring that they are trying to try Mark on being a British citizen,

which is good for the street people's fighting mood,

but has no validity as far as the ICC would see it.

More Wenging on to little purpose.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

What if one of the few (1000+) innocent people being killed was your father? Would you make the same stupid comment?

Shame on you!

Correct.

A civilized country deals with it's crime without harming innocent bystanders,

if in any way possible other than unintended and accidental incidents.

Allowing for it to be acceptable losses in a policing operation is a crime in itself

Collateral damage is a military war or heartless terrorist concept,

not a policing concept, even if the call it a 'War on Drugs'.

• Like 1

How many drug barons get caught ever in Thailand? Only time they catch someone it's the poor sop at the bottom of the pile.Probably shopped by the Hi-So baron