Booze, Obesity Cause Most Early Deaths Among Thais

webfact

Booze, obesity cause most early deaths among Thais

THE NATION

30188433-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Excessive drinking of alcohol and obesity were among the leading causes of premature death among men and women in Thailand, according to a study released yesterday.

"Many [thousands of] people have died prematurely over the past few years," Professor Dr Veerasak Jongsuwiwatwong, a director of Research and Development Health of Southern Institute, said.

He presented his study yesterday at a seminar entitled "Disease and health burdens on the Thai population" held by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

A study is conducted every five years by a team of strategic researchers from the International Health Policy Programme Thailand, aimed at developing indicators to estimate the disease and health burden carried by the Thai population. The team was supported by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation and National Health Security Office.

The latest study in 2009 showed that among 430,583 reported deaths, about 50,000 had died from chronic diseases caused by drinking alcohol and smoking. Another 35,000 died from coronary artery disease.

The study found that drinking alcohol was the leading cause of premature death among the male population, followed by smoking, high blood pressure, not wearing a helmet while riding motorcycles, and high cholesterol.

Among the female population, obesity was the first leading cause of death, followed by high blood pressure, unsafe sex, high cholesterol, and smoking.

The study also found that road accidents, violence, and HIV-infection were major causes of death among men aged between 15 and 29 years of age.

Meanwhile, unsafe sex, HIV infection, road accidents, and suicide were leading causes of death among women in the same age range.

When looking at the cause of death among the population aged between 30 to 59, the study found that road accidents were a leading cause of death among men and unsafe sex a major cause of death among women.

Among people over 60, chronic diseases were the major cause of death, the study showed.

Professor Dr Veerasak said this study would suggest the government should work to reduce alcohol and cigarette consumption among the population. The study also showed the government should control unhealthy food and beverage products that would affect people's health.

The government needed to improve safer transportation systems and people should have convenient pathways for walking or bicycling so they can exercise and enhance their well-being, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-16

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Booze and Obesity problems aren't isolated to Thailand. If your in the U.S.A. and are shopping at Wal-Mart take a look at

a look at all the Fat Americans pushing those supersized shopping carts around, and all the crap they put in those super.sized baskets.

My friend the geologist has a theory that says if all the Fat Obese Americans east of the St. Lewis, which is the gateway to the west were to

all jump up and hit the ground at the same exact time, they would cause a massive shift or displacement of the tectonic plates causing

a quake that would be off the Richter Scale.

• Like 2

For a culture whose entire spiritual belief system is based on cause and effect, the Thais do not seem to grasp the same concept in their everyday lives. If you overeat and become obese, you will be prone to be unhealthy and die early. If you get drunk, you will be more likely to get into an auto crash. Smoking tobacco will increase the probability that you will die at an earlier age, etc., etc.

How difficult is it to understand: If you do "A" then "B" will happen...and You are doing "A", therefore...?

• Like 2

How difficult is it to understand: If you do "A" then "B" will happen...and You are doing "A", therefore...?

If they understood the concept of action and consequence, I, for one, would be out of a job and on my way back to Farangland.

• Like 2

We Americans are killing off the rest of the world with our fast food..

If we can't kill everyone with bullets and bombs, we will give you sugar diabetes, clogged arteries, and all sorts of diseases who

words have far too many letters to even try to make an attempt to pronounce.

If we can't kiill off the chinese with hi tech war fare we will poison all of them with fast food.

I was going to hack something along similar lines jerrysteve but you said it all.

As for the booze....well I'm not so sure about that part...seems Mc D, KFC & the

rest have more to do with FAT than booze does. Also the internet plays a part,

as well as video games...especially amongst kids who stuff their gobs with

BigMac's & fries while playing said games or doing other online bs with intent.

Plus their parents are not doing a very good job of parenting it seems.....

Just me sip satang....no more no less.

• Like 1

If we can't kill everyone with bullets and bombs, we will give you sugar diabetes, clogged arteries, and all sorts of diseases who

If we can't kiill off the chinese with hi tech war fare we will poison all of them with fast food.

I doubt the majority of Thai fatties eat much American food. This country is obsessed with sugar. A lot of Thai food is laden in sugar, fried and high in cholesterol.

True. SUGAR everywhere all the time, rice, noodles, breading, salt. Modern Thai cuisine easily accounts for it. Not cholesterol; been debunked, that one. Nor lack of exercise, not very important for weight loss or weight maintenance.

What's with the knee-jerk anti-Americanism? Projection of self-loathing I assume.

Unfortunately Booze and Obesity problems in Thailand is a good example on how Yingluck policy went wrong.

She should tax more on food and booze to reduce unnecessary consumption.

LOL... that has been tried so many times and failed in every case that I know of....

I doubt the majority of Thai fatties eat much American food. This country is obsessed with sugar. A lot of Thai food is laden in sugar, fried and high in cholesterol.

True. SUGAR everywhere all the time, rice, noodles, breading, salt. Modern Thai cuisine easily accounts for it. Not cholesterol; been debunked, that one. Nor lack of exercise, not very important for weight loss or weight maintenance.

What's with the knee-jerk anti-Americanism? Projection of self-loathing I assume.

Thai food uses a lot of coconut milk which has high levels of LDL cholesterol. Combine that with mounds of refined sugar and deep fried chicken, pork, fish etc and a lack of exercise and you have the results you see today.

Edited by Kananga

Unfortunately Booze and Obesity problems in Thailand is a good example on how Yingluck policy went wrong.

She should tax more on food and booze to reduce unnecessary consumption.

LOL... that has been tried so many times and failed in every case that I know of....

Making sugar illegal would be a perfect fit. Paying tea money to get some sugar to go into your teacoffee1.gif

Isn't this thread suppose to be about Thailand? There must be other ways to build yourself up than bad mouthing your own country. All those olympic gold medals and the Mars trip must really be disappointing for you.

For a culture whose entire spiritual belief system is based on cause and effect, the Thais do not seem to grasp the same concept in their everyday lives. If you overeat and become obese, you will be prone to be unhealthy and die early. If you get drunk, you will be more likely to get into an auto crash. Smoking tobacco will increase the probability that you will die at an earlier age, etc., etc.

Oh come on , Thais don't practice Buddhism - anyone knows that. They pray a lot and have Buddhist holidays and claim to restrict alcohol on some Buddhist days and maybe even enter temples as novices, but doing Buddhism is not what most of them are at.

• Like 1

Isn't this thread suppose to be about Thailand? There must be other ways to build yourself up than bad mouthing your own country. All those olympic gold medals and the Mars trip must really be disappointing for you.

Tread very carefully here rijb, you run the risk of triggering his "Bush derangement syndrome"

• Like 1

Unfortunately Booze and Obesity problems aren't isolated to Thailand. If your in the U.S.A. and are shopping at Wal-Mart take a look at

a look at all the Fat Americans pushing those supersized shopping carts around, and all the crap they put in those super.sized baskets.

My friend the geologist has a theory that says if all the Fat Obese Americans east of the St. Lewis, which is the gateway to the west were to

all jump up and hit the ground at the same exact time, they would cause a massive shift or displacement of the tectonic plates causing

a quake that would be off the Richter Scale.

It's "St. Louis". (And you're friend is also a moron.)

• Like 2

Drinks seem to be the big culprit in our neighborhood.

The adults consume lots of moonshine on a daily basis. I think chemical additives, more than the alcohol, have had a big impact on the premature deaths here.

The kids drink lots and lots of sugar in everything from store-bought soda to locally-made stuff. And sadly, it's making them fat and stupid.

Edited by rijb

I could see the drinking and smoking and of course the motorbikes accidents, the low income seem to have money for the two but no money for eating. As I see it they eat what they can get their hands on? The kids feed on nothing but sugar and cholestrorals.

Now what surprises me is all that unprotected sex. I would think that male or female the % would be the same since doesn't it take two to tangle?

The professor of course said " They should " which means they aren't going to do anything!