First Car Stories

Boyce

First Car Stories

Tell us a little about your very first car or truck

My first car was morris 1100:

1100_Mk1.jpg

It was the same colour too. I loved the thing, the smell the sound of its engine. However, it broke down at least once a month and constantly needed work which I couldn't afford. Also, the noise it made when driven gave me tinnitus so I had to let "Myrtle" go. But I traded it in for $600 and got my trueno for oly $2,500, a pretty sweet deal.

At age 17 a Ford Fiesta 957cc in beige (Urgh).... I saved up for it with Saturday jobs, it cost me £400 and I sold it before going to Uni for £475. I was proud of the £75 profit. I'd worked on it my self and changed the breaks etc... I filled out the minor-dings etc myself with filler...

It could hardly make it up the hills and couldn't pull the skin off of a bowl of custard....

It had shiny vinyl seats - I remember my granny sliding across from one side to the other as I cornered !!!...

It was freedom !! It was great, it was the crappest car in the world and I loved it !!!

250px-Ford_Fiesta_(early_days)_Garmisch-Partenkirchen.jpg

Ford Cortina 1600XL (Mk 3 I think?) in Electric Blue with a black vinyl roof for around £700. My memory has it that the number plate was OEY 723K. No digital pics unfortunately but prints in a photo album stored in the UK which I have not seen for a while.

Had it for about 18 months then got a job with a company car - first one was a Cortina Mk 4 1.3L so in many way a backward move especially as it was so underpowered.

Similar to the OP,

Wolesly1300 version that even had the wee light up badge on the grill. My mate in London got an 1100, from 'Kerbside Motors' w00t.gif somewhere and after a while noticed the floor carpets were never drying out. Lifting everything out only to find that most of the floor was made from flattened out Duckhams oil cans.

"Sorry John, no guarantees"

’53 Ford F-100 when I was 16. It was the Ford 50th anniversary edition with three on the tree and a 270 flat head V8. I was working in a tool & die shop and paid $550 for it in Billings Montana. No driver side window and drove it for a couple years like that.

Ford Anglia 105E 997cc Maroon with Grey roof, let the engine freeze up so that buggered itcrying.gif going back to the OPs 1100 i'm amazed at the number here still going with the original type of engine and what do they do with the Hydrolastic suspension? but have seen some jacked up like a bargirl in high heelsw00t.gif so perhaps they just put blocks of wood in themmellow.png .

Renault 4 1100cc in 1992. It was 12 years old and cost 45GBP, sold it 2 years later for 250GBP. It wasn't a road burner but the shape was a hoot. Other students in 2CV's and Beetles used to try and race me. A traffic light shoot out between a Renault 4 and a Citroen 2CVbiggrin.png

Ford Anglia 105E 997cc Maroon with Grey roof, let the engine freeze up so that buggered itcrying.gif going back to the OPs 1100 i'm amazed at the number here still going with the original type of engine and what do they do with the Hydrolastic suspension? but have seen some jacked up like a bargirl in high heelsw00t.gif so perhaps they just put blocks of wood in themmellow.png .

Became known as Hydro-Spastic among most of the long term owners around my way.

Similar to the OP,

Wolesly1300 version that even had the wee light up badge on the grill. My mate in London got an 1100, from 'Kerbside Motors' w00t.gif somewhere and after a while noticed the floor carpets were never drying out. Lifting everything out only to find that most of the floor was made from flattened out Duckhams oil cans.

"Sorry John, no guarantees"

Found photo in claasic guide.

post-98036-0-98117500-1345180824_thumb.j

Ford Consul MK 1. taught me everything about DIY mechanics, does anyone remember those days when you fixed something instead of today replace, replace, replace.biggrin.png

post-87530-0-36116100-1345184996_thumb.j

Luv'ed the car though, bench seat column change, £37 to buy and an horrendous £12 to insure it. :)

I remember having a Mk1 Consul, unfortunately one night I wrapped it round a tree and that was the end of that car.

post-35075-0-42046300-1345205764_thumb.j

My favorite car at the time was the Mk2 Zeypher convertable. Colum gear change with big chrome horn ring almost same size as the steering wheel.

Bench seat and no nonsense about seat belts so your date for the day could stretch out right across the front seat with her head on your shoulder.

Cruising along with the hood down leaning up against the door, right arm casually resting on the window and able to change gear with just the fingers of the left hand and toot the horn with your elbow.

Those were the days.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I remember having a Mk1 Consul, unfortunately one night I wrapped it round a tree and that was the end of that car.

My favorite car at the time was the Mk2 Zeypher convertable. Colum gear change with big chrome horn ring almost same size as the steering wheel.

Bench seat and no nonsense about seat belts so your date for the day could stretch out right across the front seat with her head on your shoulder.

Cruising along with the hood down leaning up against the door, right arm casually resting on the window and able to change gear with just the fingers of the left hand and toot the horn with your elbow.

Those were the days.

thumbsup.gif

I had one of them in 1970 in Singapore when I was in the RAF.

My first car however was a 1939 Standard 8. 2 centre hinged doors, 3 forward spped gearbox plus reverse if it was a good day.

It cost me £20 in 1962 but the insurance was free as I didn't have any or a licence either.

I clipped a prewar Jaguar with my off side rear wing whick ripped off like a sheet of rusty wet paper and the Jaguar had a big steel chrome front bumper whish was unmarked.

A cop nabbed me 2 days later and I got done (deservedly so) for no licence, no insurance, dodgy steering, no rear offside wing and the bodywork in a dangerous condition.

Fined a total of £15 and banned for a year.

The reg no was GHU 41 and it looked a bit like this...

post-5614-0-46590700-1345210616_thumb.jp

The indicators were called trafficators and looked like this.

Those were the days.

thumbsup.gif

I had one of them in 1970 in Singapore when I was in the RAF.

My first car however was a 1939 Standard 8. 2 centre hinged doors, 3 forward spped gearbox plus reverse if it was a good day.

It cost me £20 in 1962 but the insurance was free as I didn't have any or a licence either.

I clipped a prewar Jaguar with my off side rear wing whick ripped off like a sheet of rusty wet paper and the Jaguar had a big steel chrome front bumper whish was unmarked.

A cop nabbed me 2 days later and I got done (deservedly so) for no licence, no insurance, dodgy steering, no rear offside wing and the bodywork in a dangerous condition.

Fined a total of £15 and banned for a year.

The reg no was GHU 41 and it looked a bit like this...

post-5614-0-46590700-1345210616_thumb.jp

The indicators were called trafficators and looked like this.

post-5614-0-40153700-1345210673_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Age 15 in Adelaide Australia took 6 months to pay off my first car $ 25 .A Morris Low Lite tourer 1952? Side Valve .Full Power House 22 hp wow smile.png

Dad did a valve grind and we were off .until our cat jump off the roof of our house and went straight through the brittle rag top sad.png

I always remember that Bloody Fuel Pump Clattering Away when i put two dollars of Golden Fleece standard petrol in it ....Oh those were the days.

post-42073-0-83886200-1345211627_thumb.j

My first car was a 1947 Hillman Minx Convertible (or Drop Head Coupe as they called it) . It was around 15 years old when I got it, and looked nothing like the attatched photo. It was bought for 20 pounds.

At the time I had never heard of Thailand but I must have getting into the Thai spirit even then as I remember driving it with no tax, insurance or driving license. whistling.gif

post-150466-0-32658300-1345266031_thumb.

My first car was a 1947 Hillman Minx Convertible (or Drop Head Coupe as they called it) . It was around 15 years old when I got it, and looked nothing like the attatched photo. It was bought for 20 pounds.

At the time I had never heard of Thailand but I must have getting into the Thai spirit even then as I remember driving it with no tax, insurance or driving license. whistling.gif

That is a nice ride, today it would be an eye catcher with the right paint. thumbsup.gif

post-41816-0-10201400-1345297619_thumb.j My first ride. Bought as a non runner for 25 quid. New set of plugs and it was the ideal thing for young romance but sadly l was banned from driving (motorcycle) again and sold it and built similar to this in my spare time..................

post-41816-0-44741400-1345297830_thumb.j My own poor mans Broadspeed Mini Cooper. Roof lowered 4 inches, one in the pic looks like a 3 inch chop, fitted with an Austin 1100 engine and trans pulled from a reck, fitted Cooper cam, twin choke Weber and a mini 3.75 diff. Went like a rocket. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Just looking at this makes me realize I'm getting older. Dont want to be reminded of that, but anyways, mine was a Simca 1000, bought for 160 guilders.....

Ah the swinging sixties (axles that is) those were the days...youtube- rhapsodie in blech

That is a nice ride, today it would be an eye catcher with the right paint. thumbsup.gif

Agreed, restored would look great, but bought mine for 20 quid and could best be describes as '2 - tone, rust and mildew ', also it had no heater, uk in the winter can be very cold.