Cops, Drivers At Odds On Rush-Hour Checkpoints: Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a novel one:

Follow the road rules so the coppers can't touch you.

What road rules! this is Thailand they don"t exist,it"s every man for himself out there.

There are rules, and if you follow them, you almost never get pulled over or have to pay tea money.

And if you do get pulled over having followed the rules, then there is little they can actually do if you insist on a ticket. They wave you on.

16 odd years on Thai roads, 2 tickets. Both my fault. One or two times a copper tried it on, but they didn't win.

But, that is the conundrum here. Many TV posters are warriors behind the keyboard, but when faced by one of the BIB's they turn to seed and happily hand over cash for an imagined transgression.

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

here's a novel one:

What road rules! this is Thailand they don"t exist,it"s every man for himself out there.

There are rules, and if you follow them, you almost never get pulled over or have to pay tea money.

And if you do get pulled over having followed the rules, then there is little they can actually do if you insist on a ticket. They wave you on.

16 odd years on Thai roads, 2 tickets. Both my fault. One or two times a copper tried it on, but they didn't win.

But, that is the conundrum here. Many TV posters are warriors behind the keyboard, but when faced by one of the BIB's they turn to seed and happily hand over cash for an imagined transgression.

Absolutely correct. But, with all due respect, you are Thai, and obviously aren't intimidated by a uniform.

Most of the posters here are not Thai, and most of the population that do not post on here are intimidated by uniforms.

here's a novel one:

Absolutely correct. But, with all due respect, you are Thai, and obviously aren't intimidated by a uniform.

Most of the posters here are not Thai, and most of the population that do not post on here are intimidated by uniforms.

You are right that I am rarely intimidated - respectful, yes, but not intimidated. But, I'm not sure being Thai has anything to do with it. Most Thai's are indeed intimidated by the uniform!

Edited by samran

Every day I see dozens of people, if not hundreds, ignoring the traffic law with impunity. They block turn lanes, drive up the the front of a turn land and then block a non-turning lane, double park, run red lights, make illegal U-turns, etc. etc.. Often this is done right in front of policemen, who will look right at them and DO NOTHING.

The police in Thailand are a joke. Instead of wasting their and everyone else's time with these road blocks they should just get out on the roads and to their job.

• Like 2

You are right that I am rarely intimidated - respectful, yes, but not intimidated. But, I'm not sure being Thai has anything to do with it. Most Thai's are indeed intimidated by the uniform!

I'm not Thai, I'm not intimidated by the uniform. But thats not the reason I rarely get pulled over (i.e. about 4 times in 6 or 7 years)... I don't get pulled over simply because I am in a car. If I was riding a bike I suspect my statistic would be very different.

The Police in Thailand give motorbike riders a very hard time - I see these blanket stops all over town. I imagine that as motorcycle rider its hard to avoid them.

That said, Samran is right, if you are following the regulations, remain polite and firm and refuse that you did anything wrong. If they insist you did then you can simply ask for a ticket, you don't have to bribe them - In most cases you'll be waved along as they don't like the paper work. BUT: don't give them a reason to 'want to F$%k' as they can and may make up any charge - Don't let a small situation escalate.

Back on Topic:

I would like to see Police given the power (perhaps wrong word) to pull over motorists anywhere at random and issue on the spot tickets. i.e. for double parking, for jumping lights, for anti-social driving (blocking box junctions).

The way I see it though - Most of the rush hour traffic exists as a result of 'self generated grid-lock'... The police who control the traffic lights hold them for so long that the traffic backs up creating grid-lock. More frequent, faster changes keeps the flow of the traffic thus reducing gridlock.

Placing the lights in sequence would be of huge advantage - Major global cities have computerised systems, rumour has it that an attempt was made to computerise Thailand's systems about 15 years ago, but was sabotaged by the Police themselves out of the fear that it would cost them their jobs.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Apologies Samran, I should have said that you are Thai and therefore speak the language fluently, that does give you an advantage over the posters here who don't.

Dunno Thaddeus! You'll often see posters insisting on NOT speaking Thai will give you the upper hand...

So my guess is it comes down to following the rules and managing risk that way.

That said, Richard is correct too. Motorbikes get picked on, but friends who do ride come off well by wearing the helmet, keeping the right insurance and rego details. The big pain for them though is trying to keep left when it is clearly impossible.

Dunno Thaddeus! You'll often see posters insisting on NOT speaking Thai will give you the upper hand...

That said, Richard is correct too. Motorbikes get picked on, but friends who do ride come off well by wearing the helmet, keeping the right insurance and rego details. The big pain for them though is trying to keep left when it is clearly impossible.

I've played the "Mai Koh-Jai" game one before... I was in a silly mood... I was waved on quickly.

The next time I played the "Mai Koh-Jai" game the police officer spoke perfect English !!! - it cost me 80 baht for turning left from the second lane (there was a bin truck on the inside lane)... it only cost me 80 baht cos when the "Mai Koh-Jai" game failed, I switched to the "Mai mee ngean" game which worked.

I also play the "pick up the phone game" that works too...

But realistically - I've been stopped less than 10 times in over 10 years of driving...

Edited by richard_smith237

I'm not Thai, I'm not intimidated by the uniform. But thats not the reason I rarely get pulled over (i.e. about 4 times in 6 or 7 years)... I don't get pulled over simply because I am in a car. If I was riding a bike I suspect my statistic would be very different.

The Police in Thailand give motorbike riders a very hard time - I see these blanket stops all over town. I imagine that as motorcycle rider its hard to avoid them.

That said, Samran is right, if you are following the regulations, remain polite and firm and refuse that you did anything wrong. If they insist you did then you can simply ask for a ticket, you don't have to bribe them - In most cases you'll be waved along as they don't like the paper work. BUT: don't give them a reason to 'want to F$%k' as they can and may make up any charge - Don't let a small situation escalate.

Back on Topic:

I would like to see Police given the power (perhaps wrong word) to pull over motorists anywhere at random and issue on the spot tickets. i.e. for double parking, for jumping lights, for anti-social driving (blocking box junctions).

The way I see it though - Most of the rush hour traffic exists as a result of 'self generated grid-lock'... The police who control the traffic lights hold them for so long that the traffic backs up creating grid-lock. More frequent, faster changes keeps the flow of the traffic thus reducing gridlock.

Placing the lights in sequence would be of huge advantage - Major global cities have computerised systems, rumour has it that an attempt was made to computerise Thailand's systems about 15 years ago, but was sabotaged by the Police themselves out of the fear that it would cost them their jobs.

I had often wondered why they dont have computerised systems here and creating green waves... maybe the police did sabotage the idea, But a visiting friend who is involved in designing traffic systems in germany explained that without real driver training and traffic law enforcement such a system would not work,

Example....a bus stopping in the middle lane of a 3 lane road to let passengers on and off into the traffic making this 3 lane road into a 1 lane road at every stop, Car&van drivers who would stop in the middle lane at the traffic lights thinking they are too important to stop behind others in the right lane again making it a 1 lane road.

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

My method to prevent the Thai police from extorting money from me at these checkpoints is to point my smart phone to them and tell them that I am filming them. "Now tell me your name and what is the problem."

Some try to stop me and take away my phone, but no success, I am prepared for that.

Then they simply tell me to go.

What do you do to stop them taking your phone? Thanks for the idea.

Drug runners use a reconnaisence car up ahead

and use CB(walky talky) to notify the car a block away

of any road check pionts.

of course this is for large amounts of drugs or arms.

plus they don't travel in peak hour traffic

in case they need to get away.

much better to work " under cover of the knight "

Only the lazzy criminal's goes too jail ph34r.png

My method to prevent the Thai police from extorting money from me at these checkpoints is to point my smart phone to them and tell them that I am filming them. "Now tell me your name and what is the problem."

Some try to stop me and take away my phone, but no success, I am prepared for that.

Then they simply tell me to go.

What do you do to stop them taking your phone? Thanks for the idea.

Well, the last time actually my wife was driving and I was in the passenger seat, filming the cop. He tried to grab the phone but his arm was not long enough.

The situation was clear, my wife did not break any rules and protested against the stopping. We came from Withayiu Road turning right into Petchburi Road. Immediately after the intersection Petchburi Road has a double while line separating the traffic which goes straight from the one turning right after the bridge into the motorway. We were on the rightmost lane on Withayiu and merged immediately to the left side on Petchburi. The cop insisted that there is a sign on Withayiu that the right lane goes to the motorway, which is not true.

When I filmed him, I told him that he knows what he is doing is wrong and I have evidence. First he tried to get my phone but couldn't. So he waved us away.

Rush-hour checkpoints are one of the most obvious, everyday signals that Thailand is not prepared to enter into the modern, developed world and forego corruption for improved efficacy and business friendliness. They [the checkpoints] immediately mark the country as a developing country, as I know of no developed country on earth that stages police checkpoints on the major thoroughfares of it's important cities during peak travel periods. Every time I see a checkpoint at rush hour (and the discreet transfer of small bills along with license and registration information), I'm reminded that Thailand exists in third-world status. If the police would spend time actually enforcing laws rather than concocting traffic offenses for drivers to allegedly perpetrate, then perhaps we would actually see some improvements to public safety in Bangkok.

Try Barcelona often have check points around the center only these are breathalising every driver that comes through

It annoys me to read how many posters admit to handing over money to the police in the form of a bribe...and then in the amount of 2-300bhtbah.gif It makes my life as a hardliner against this even harder,

<deleted> use your head and try to realise what is actualy going on in bibs head, 98% of the time when you are stopped the bib do it with criminal intent! Somewhere in the back of there heads is a form of guilt complex ...just use that to your advantage,

A lady i know who often seems to ride around helmetless localy told ...she would never hand over more than 20 baht, Another time when following her to a cafe we came across a check point where she stopped before it and actualy pushed her honda click past the police, The police said to her....hey you can ride through also...she replied...yeah then i have to give you money,

I did,nt try to look for any logic but it also seems to work that way.

here's a novel one:

You obviously don't drive a motorbike. The cops at checkpoints pull over nearly EVERY bike they can fit in a queue near the curb, regardless of whether or not they have violated the 'road rules', such as they are. And the 'road rules' are subject to interpretation by the cop, so you can't possibly follow them and avoid being killed by a bus.

That has to be the most out of touch comment I have seen on Thaivisa.

I ride a motorbike and wear a helmet haven't been pulled over in Chiang mai as they are looking for the helmentless who are breaking the law.

This is about Bangkok, and the BIB have for a long while been stopping every single bike at some checkpoints and blatantly trying to shake down the riders. Meanwhile, outside Bangkok in Nonthaburi today it`s business as usual for them as late this afternoon the BIB had a checkpoint at a busy area on a 3 lane road where a slip road joins it. They had reduced the main road to a single lane and cars trying to join that road from the slip road were backed up over 1.5km. Needless to say every single bike was being pulled over.

I drive a bike and a car, in the car i never get pulled over with the bike a lot more usually because of the left driving. Its just dangerous to stay in the slow lane with taxi's and busses and minivans pulling over. I know i'm wrong and just pay the fine.

Though there was someone telling me that the law states slow vehicles must stay left and that it does not specifically state motorcycles. Because if i am more on the right im at the same speed or faster then the rest of the traffic.

here's a novel one:

He actually has a good point here, abide to the rules and you won't have a problem. I had 1 fine in more than 10 years here.

Checkpoints are not the only method to enforcing traffic violations.

True but they are the only way if you are lazy. And you can get far more helmet violations by just pulling them all over at one point than driving around looking for them and chasing them down.

Was in Bangkok last week, TGF driving car and pulled over for NOTHING, just having a Chonburi plate. Cop turned his nose up at 200 Baht and insisted on 500! We were just leaving BK so paid up. She was in a foul mood all the way back to Pattaya calling this cop everything under the sun as she knew she had done nothing wrong. You don't need a checkpoint to extort drivers!

The entrepreneur in me sees an opportunity in this Road Check hassle stuff. A portable easy to plug in Video Camera, not for backing up or forward but aimed squarely out the drivers side window in wide angle. I will call it Scam Cam. Video your favorite shakedown and upload to youtube free.

Only B1,999 for basic version, B 2,999 for HD version with free door sticker in thai that says - Scam Free Driver in Car. Gonna check with major car companies about making this standard issue on all new models.

Only 1 million units available so order fast. ;)

• Like 1

Rush-hour checkpoints are one of the most obvious, everyday signals that Thailand is not prepared to enter into the modern, developed world and forego corruption for improved efficacy and business friendliness. They [the checkpoints] immediately mark the country as a developing country, as I know of no developed country on earth that stages police checkpoints on the major thoroughfares of it's important cities during peak travel periods. Every time I see a checkpoint at rush hour (and the discreet transfer of small bills along with license and registration information), I'm reminded that Thailand exists in third-world status. If the police would spend time actually enforcing laws rather than concocting traffic offenses for drivers to allegedly perpetrate, then perhaps we would actually see some improvements to public safety in Bangkok.

Thailand will always be a nation of whores! The very best thing you can do for Thailand is affect their economy; eat at home, tell people not to vacation here, etc.

Another Hua Mark police officer, Sen Maj-General Samrerng Srikaew, said road checkpoints were necessary for reducing crimes

and making the repayments on his S500, his penthouse condo in Cha-Am, his 18 year old mia noi's apartment on Lang Suan and his daughter's private school in Switzerland. biggrin.png

Edited by mca
  • Like 1

It's disgraceful that everyone openly discusses how the police use checkpoints as a money making grab. It's shameful for Thailand and makes them a laughing stock that it is so open and pervasively a part of Thai society.

Another poster suggested that working camera surveillance monitored by a command center that was honest would catch some of the police checkers.

This reminds me of the film Goodfellas where the opening dialog has DeNiro stating that in Las Vegas everyone is watching someone. The players are watching the dealers, the dealers are watching the players, the pit bosses are watching the dealers, and the section managers are watching the pit bosses, and the floor manager is watching the section bosses, and the casino manager is watching the floor manager and the operations manager is watching the casino manager and the eye in the sky is watching everyone. As the camera pans to the command center above the ceiling.

Thailand applies this technique but with a different motive. In Las Vegas they are trying to inhibit stealing. In Thailand they are trying to maximize the distribution of the stealing.

• Like 1

Checkpoints are not the only method to enforcing traffic violations.

Quite true. Have they considered things things like Red Light Cameras (Now there is the pot of gold in Thailand) or things like speed cameras, number plate identification (another pot of gold everything from unregistered, unlicenced to warrants in one quick scan) Road blocks work well but are not ideal on main arterials in heavy traffic as the pose safety issues not only to the police but also other road users. We have used road blocks on main arterial in Melbourne Australia but these are done in quieter periods (ie boozebuses b/w the hours of 11 p.m and 6 a.m)

"Many commuters allege that traffic police set up checkpoints for their own financial gain."

This is NOT true.

The checkpoints is for the protection of the innocent motorist.

I don't mind stopping for a couple of minutes and let them search my car, as I have nothing to hind.