Thailand Braces For Tropical Storm 'Kai-Tak'

webfact

Yes, aren't we lucky that AV's government made so much progress in flood prevention after the 2010 floods. Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns.

What 2010 floods?

Also it was coalition partner Barnhan Silpa Archas party that was in charge of the Dams...... and they still are :blink:

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, aren't we lucky that AV's government made so much progress in flood prevention after the 2010 floods. Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns.

http://www.thaivisa....ter-management/

Have a read Mr Bird Poo.

Perhaps you should read the link before you post.

What is supposed to be the relevant point in the link you posted which might address birdpooguava's statement?

And also read the rules regarding the use of poster names while you are at it.

Science Minister: Floods caused by inefficient water management

Sorry you missed the headline. As for his assertion that the floods were caused by AVs administrations handing over the reigns with full damns thus causing the floods and almost 900 deaths, ridiculous. Oh and Birdpooguave i apologise for changing your name but in all fairness i did add "Mr".

What 2010 floods?

Also it was coalition partner Barnhan Silpa Archas party that was in charge of the Dams...... and they still are blink.png

"What 2010 floods?"

Seems like 2010, but was really just spring 2011 and in the south.

Typhoon Kai-Tak makes landfall in China, brings heavy rain to Thailand

image_2012081712584433298C18-EEC7-3449-C1C0B83729694EE5.jpg

BANGKOK, Aug 17 - More rain has been forecast for Thailand’s north and northeast due to the impact of typhoon Kai-Tak which made a landfall over China's Hainan on Friday morning, according to the Meteorological Department.

The department said in its fifth warning, issued Friday morning that typhoon Kai-Tak with sustained winds about 120km per hour reached Hainan at 11am and was moving west-northwest at a speed of 25km per hour.

The storm is forecast to move past the Gulf of Tonkin through upper Vietnam on Saturday, affecting rainfall over the country with isolated heavy to very heavy rain, especially over Thailand’s north and the northeast today through Sunday.

Strong wind and waves are likely in the Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand. All ships are advised to proceed with caution during the next day or two. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-08-17

http://www.thaivisa....ter-management/

Have a read Mr Bird Poo.

Perhaps you should read the link before you post.

What is supposed to be the relevant point in the link you posted which might address birdpooguava's statement?

And also read the rules regarding the use of poster names while you are at it.

Science Minister: Floods caused by inefficient water management

Sorry you missed the headline. As for his assertion that the floods were caused by AVs administrations handing over the reigns with full damns thus causing the floods and almost 900 deaths, ridiculous. Oh and Birdpooguave i apologise for changing your name but in all fairness i did add "Mr".

right, so Birdpooguava basically states that the Democratic regime let the water in the dam reservoirs get high before losing the election to PTP and handing them an "inefficiently managed water situation" and you post a link where the science minister makes (generalized) statements about inefficient water management being a problem.

This is some how a riposte to Birdpooguava's statement...

I certainly did not miss the headline.

The consequences of the floods were, as far as I can tell much worse than before. The question is was this due to above average rainfall, bad management or a combination of both? I think it was clear that a lot of problems were caused by historic issues such as blocking of canals with rubbish and ill advised developments, at least in the areas around Bangkok. If you need to apportion blame for this then you need to go back over the preceding governments and local administrations although that could get very complicated. I've no idea about the dam levels under the previous government but I'm someone either will or already has dealt with that.

As far as I know some flood projects are under way now and some may even be completed. The success of these will be down to the level of water this year. As is usually the case under any administration delays will undoubtedly have been caused for various reasons related to officials in charge.

Let's hope that if there are problems with flooding this year that we don't see the shameful abuse of relief aid for personal and political means by either side that we did last year.

Just need to mention that in some areas, in Isaan at least there is something of a drought so a bit of rain will be welcome. Our rice is still to be planted as there hasn't been enough rain.

NW Pacific: Storm Alert issued at 17 Aug, 2012 6:00 GMT

Typhoon KAI-TAK (14W) is forecast to strike land to the following likelihood(s) at the given lead time(s):

Red Alert Country(s) or Province(s)

China

probability for CAT 1 or above is 100% currently

probability for TS is 100% currently

Vietnam

probability for CAT 1 or above is 55% within 12 hours

probability for TS is 80% within 12 hours

Red Alert City(s) and Town(s)

Zhanjiang (21.2 N, 110.3 E)

probability for CAT 1 or above is 100% currently

probability for TS is 100% currently

Beihai (21.6 N, 109.2 E)

probability for CAT 1 or above is 90% within 12 hours

probability for TS is 95% currently

Yellow Alert City(s) and Town(s)

Maoming (21.9 N, 110.9 E)

probability for TS is 75% currently

Nanning (22.8 N, 108.3 E)

probability for TS is 70% within 12 hours

Haikou (20.0 N, 110.4 E)

probability for TS is 70% currently

Note that

Red Alert (Severe) is CAT 1 or above to between 31% and 100% probability.

Yellow Alert (Elevated) is CAT 1 or above to between 10% and 30% probability, or TS to above 50% probability.

CAT 1 means Typhoon strength winds of at least 74 mph, 119 km/h or 64 knots 1-min sustained.

TS means Tropical Storm strength winds of at least 39 mph, 63 km/h or 34 knots 1-min sustained.

For graphical forecast information and further details please visit http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

tlansford

Sorry to many posts yada yada

No, that's not what he basically said, what he stated was " Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns". Which to me implies that there was nothing to be done at that point do to the dangerous condition. Which it was not. It was through incompetence and mismanagement within this administration that the 2011 floods were so disastrous.

tlansford

No, that's not what he basically said, what he stated was " Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns". Which to me implies that there was nothing to be done at that point do to the dangerous condition. Which it was not. It was through incompetence and mismanagement within this administration that the 2011 floods were so disastrous.

In a previous post I said I didn't know about the high water levels under Abhisit. Since it seems so important is there any evidence for this?

There seems to be some short memories around here including mine.Could someone please enlighten me and tell me what date did the present administration take the reins after the election and it is not the day of the election.

From memory ... Yingluck was elected PM on August 3, and government was officially formed on August 11.

Will be no Major flood in Thailand this year... been like a drought here in Buriram..

same in surin,rice fields all dying because no rain

No problem since there's hundreds of thousands,nay millions, of tons of rice in warehouses.

No famine in the near future at least.

I hope the Isaan farmers have put money away for a rainy sunny day.

What 2010 floods?

Also it was coalition partner Barnhan Silpa Archas party that was in charge of the Dams...... and they still are blink.png

Let me get this right, the people who were in charge of the dams last Spring/Summer weren't the Dems at all, and those same people are still trusted to be in control, under the year-old PTP-led government of PM-Yingluck ?

Erm ... I think I see a slight problem here ... where did I put my wellies ? ermm.gif

And I thought slippery-eels were supposed to be good, with water ? rolleyes.gif

Will be no Major flood in Thailand this year... been like a drought here in Buriram..

same in surin,rice fields all dying because no rain

Being in Surin myself have to agree about the dry weather. But the peak of the rainy season, at least in the Prasat area is the middle of next month. Around Sept. 15-18 and then the rain usually starts dropping off. So from an historical point of view we have a ways to go yet for the local stuff to do what it is going to do. Three days of a nonstop rainy weather system can turn a drought into flooding conditions real quick so all we can really do is depend on some 20-20 hindsight that we should have by Oct. Trouble is we can have a very dry year overall with a week or two of major flooding at least on a local basis. One really has to feel for the rice farmers who need a more predictable typhoon season. Would expect more farmers to switch over to cassava and sugar cane as they are much more forgiving weather wise.

BKK of course has to worry about the long term accumulations up north which take a much longer time to effect them as the water has so many miles to travel.

The next four weeks should be pretty interesting weather wise.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

... meanwhile, here in Buriram, local water reservoirs nearly empty, rice fields yellow due to thirst, my son-in-law nearly crying because he is watching his crop die. This story isn't just about Bangkok guys, they are praying for rain here. I expect that when it does rain everything will be washed away...

• Like 1

Typhoon season in the west has been very active this year and it is still not over so more to come. I am still puzzled why Thailand did not allow NASA to set up shop in their country and provide perhaps more jobs and most importantly some needed help in forecasting and studying weather patterns with state of the art equipment and technology. Could it be that Thailand thought it already had the best scientists and equipment/technology for the job? I still am not over the fantastic idea of using boat propellors to turn back the flow of water during last year's flood ordered by the government.

Typhoon season in the west has been very active this year and it is still not over so more to come. I am still puzzled why Thailand did not allow NASA to set up shop in their country and provide perhaps more jobs and most importantly some needed help in forecasting and studying weather patterns with state of the art equipment and technology. Could it be that Thailand thought it already had the best scientists and equipment/technology for the job? I still am not over the fantastic idea of using boat propellors to turn back the flow of water during last year's flood ordered by the government.

The reason for that is loss of face...

Thailand has no problem with weather forecast. It knows the raining season since 2000 years and that this year will be a stronger one was known 6 month ago.

If the NASA thing is really for the weather and they can forecast it even better what would it help?

Just now is too much water in the dams and the rivers aren't full. It would need only the common sense of a 5 year old to do the right thing not the NASA.

The reason for that is loss of face...

More Thailand does not want troubles with China. Thailands history is already bad...Vietnam, supporting Pol Pot, supporting the Terrorists in Myanmar....no need to start troubles with the heavyweight China.

Thailand has no problem with weather forecast. It knows the raining season since 2000 years and that this year will be a stronger one was known 6 month ago.

If the NASA thing is really for the weather and they can forecast it even better what would it help?

Just now is too much water in the dams and the rivers aren't full. It would need only the common sense of a 5 year old to do the right thing not the NASA.

I believe the proposal was for a weather-related study that had to do with air currents during the monsoon season. I doubt it would have been helpful in the short-term forecasting of weather.

• Like 1

floods are bad for economy and for sure for the poeple living in the flooded areas or are depended on income from those areas

mysels an icecreammaker in the north east getting ready to stop producing for a month or two as if it is the same as last time non of the products i need for manufacture will be available

on the other hand if the thai baht would finaly get down in value it could boost the income from tourism alot and not talking about 3 baht raise on a euro but back to the ol 50 thb on a euro level

so guess whos gonna be prepared ? the companies wih plenty dry parking space will charge nice price for parking waterdistibution raiders of the mamma soups allover thailand

but again if disaster happens every year they are not prepared if it happens

haha was just a way to sell more gasoline sice all the cars were parked

tlansford

In a previous post I said I didn't know about the high water levels under Abhisit. Since it seems so important is there any evidence for this?

It was widely reported last year...reservoirs were very full in north, and then when the rain came they could not increase the outflow....HOWEVER reservoir levels were actually higher in May 2012 than in May 2011....