Wave A Magic Wand......What'S Missing From Chiang Mai?1

theblether

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An expanded immigration office - more staff and larger premises.

Less foreigners so the current immigration office (which was already extended a couple years ago) suffices.

excuse me mate,but arent you a foreigner?????

Yeah, he's a foreigner, but a long term one and that makes a big difference in my book. I also have been here for a while and even though it's inevitable that the area will grow in numbers, some of us just fantasize about it staying the same as when we moved up here years ago.

• Like 1

Gondolas.

I've thought (foolishly) about that many times. Modify all the roads that cross the moat and have hand pushed gondolas circumnavigated the moat. The Venice of Asia.

Or fill it with crocodiles to give the place more of an authentic feel. w00t.gif

• Like 1

Less foreigners so the current immigration office (which was already extended a couple years ago) suffices.

Yeah, he's a foreigner, but a long term one and that makes a big difference in my book. I also have been here for a while and even though it's inevitable that the area will grow in numbers, some of us just fantasize about it staying the same as when we moved up here years ago.

ive been here 10 years now,and to be honest,i think chaing mai has improved for the better since then,mainly by the input of people, opening a varied choice of different venues,the more choice the better i say.

Gondolas.

I've thought (foolishly) about that many times. Modify all the roads that cross the moat and have hand pushed gondolas circumnavigated the moat. The Venice of Asia.

Or fill it with crocodiles to give the place more of an authentic feel. w00t.gif

would make songkran more interesting.

I would just like there to be shop assistants who can actually answer a question, any question, about the items they are selling.

I am sure they go on training courses to learn that blank look.

My Thai partner never seems to have a problem getting an answer.... maybe the fact your in their country trying to get answers in perfect English could be the problem as often is the whinge from farang here !!

• Like 1

Gondolas.

Park and ride near the airport and no automobile traffic inside the klong.

I'm curious as to when you (or I) become long term. I've been here for 7 years, I'm married to a Thai, bought her a house etc.. I have many friends and acquaintances, some of whom have been here for 2 or 3 times as long as me. I haven't been here as long as them, but I have every intention of staying here. Not trying to be contentious, just wondering.

I love the suggestion of 90-day check-ins at 7-11. A bar code on your passport and a quick scan at the cashier (or even a machine so we could do it ourselves) would be great.

A competent police force and improved safety would be top of my list, although it's more of a nationwide issue.

• Like 2

"An expanded immigration office - more staff and larger premises."

I like this one.

"Less foreigners so the current immigration office (which was already extended a couple years ago) suffices."

I always find it ironic when a foreigner here says this. HELLO YOU ARE INCLUDED IN THIS STATEMENT.

Do you really think that you are special?

It might be nice to have some nice theaters/live performances, a few excellent museums (natural history, art)

Im going to date myself with this, but a Drivein movie theater would be a lot of fun for us nostalgic people.

Ha Ha A lot of good ideas. I might even consider getting a car for a drive in theater.

Would you feel better if they said hello every one except tolstoy.

Good topic Blether. I would vote for no change at all except for clean air all year long.

Now that is right on the mark. People that don't want a peaceful laid back life style should not live here. There are small changes they could make to enhance living here such as a good musium maybe some more live theater. Things along those lines not massive changes like artificial lakes with phony beaches and water slides that would just bring in more tourists. Of course from the Thai side of the street that would be a good idea more tourist money.

As is Chiang Mai if taken as a package deal is OK the way it is. Minor changes are OK buut changes just to make it more touristy are unexceptionable to me.

How about some more shopping Malls...oh it looks like they are coming.

Central Festival, The Promenada Resort Mall, The Chiang Mai Platinum Fashion Centre, Star Avenue, the Chill Park, Curve, V Community and The Harbor.....should keep the traffic count up on all the CM roads!

Not sure what Rincome Corner Super and Nimmen will be though, a giant short term parking lot?

Edited by justcruisin

How about some more shopping Malls...oh it looks like they are coming.

Central Festival, The Promenada Resort Mall, The Chiang Mai Platinum Fashion Centre, Star Avenue, the Chill Park, Curve, V Community and The Harbor.....should keep the traffic count up on all the CM roads!

Not sure what Rincome Corner Super and Nimmen will be though, a giant short term parking lot?

Edited by justcruisin

Did it have a hooters years ago?giggle.gif

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

ramrod711,

I guess when I say "long term" it really is a big generalization and up for opinions. I have been in Thailand for 21 years, 11yrs in Pattaya and the last 10yrs in Chiang Mai. I know some older hands that have been here over 40+ years and so that makes me look like a newbie. I really don't know what it takes to make it to the long term status to be honest so maybe I jumped the gun in my post. A man like yourself having been here for 7 years will seem like a long term guy to a guy who's only been here for a year, so I guess it's just relative to an individuals own situation.

Let me know if that makes any sense, as I'm not sure it even makes any sense to me....crying.gif

• Like 1

hellodolly,

For me to enjoy a Hooters in CM, I think a magic wand is needed unless of course you know something I don't. rolleyes.gif

Well actually the posts were getting a little nostalgic and you did bring up the hooters topic.

Yes I didthumbsup.gif