Wave A Magic Wand......What'S Missing From Chiang Mai?1

theblether

*better, wider pavements with less obstructions.

*better local beer.

*better pool tables.

*a more considerate, safer driving style.

*wider choice of movies at the cinema (both local and international).

*better bread and more affordable dairy products.

*higher standard of education.

*more well maintained green spaces.

*less litter and pollution.

*less import tax.

*less traffic.

*less shoddy workmanship.

*less muppets gawking at their iPhones/BB all day.

*hot season replaced by a second cold season.

*electricity/telephone lines put under the ground, out of sight.

*all billboards removed.

That'd do for now.

How do you cope with this ordeal?

I realise that I don't have a magic wand. I lower my expectations. Rarely go to the cinema, or play pool. Pay through the nose for imported goods/beers. Keep my wits about me when driving, and don't expect anyone to give way to me. Feel a bit sad inside when I see rubbish/shoddy workmanship/electricity lines/billboards everywhere. Fortunately I was educated elsewhere, although I did suffer 1 month of Thai language instruction some years ago.

Are you part of the 'Thailand is perfect, if you don't like it go home' brigade?

Certainly not, it sucks, but one has to endure it. smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very good beach at 'Ob Khan' national park about 15km outside of CM, past the 121 beyond Hang Dong.

It's a medium sized river with alternating rock and white sand beaches.

I wouldn't reccomend going up there on a rainy day though, the road gets washed out.

ramrod711,

I guess when I say "long term" it really is a big generalization and up for opinions. I have been in Thailand for 21 years, 11yrs in Pattaya and the last 10yrs in Chiang Mai. I know some older hands that have been here over 40+ years and so that makes me look like a newbie. I really don't know what it takes to make it to the long term status to be honest so maybe I jumped the gun in my post. A man like yourself having been here for 7 years will seem like a long term guy to a guy who's only been here for a year, so I guess it's just relative to an individuals own situation.

Let me know if that makes any sense, as I'm not sure it even makes any sense to me....crying.gif

I appreciate the reply, after seeing it and looking at the original post I have an idea, What you said before, about not wanting things to change too much from when you got here. Maybe it isn't so much the length of the stay that determines our attitude, perhaps it's what we miss about Chiang Mai. I hear people say, "when I got here" and find myself saying it as well. That might be a good topic for discussion, or maybe it already has.

An expanded immigration office - more staff and larger premises.

Less foreigners so the current immigration office (which was already extended a couple years ago) suffices.

The immigration service was alright in the past when the 90 day's report procedure was rather simple, it was done in the left side small building and one only had to enter one's address and signature in a large registration book lying open on the counter, it only lasted a few minutes the finish.

Then matters changed to the current stage, which is difficult in terms of pressure for both the foreigners, and the working immigration officers.

In the past there was not a 90 day request for the masses of Asian foreign workers from the local border countries, now they arrive in fully loaded pickups for their 90 day's application, as a result the waiting room is madly crowded, and the long waiting time begins.

More shopping malls tongue.pnglicklips.gif

Seriously, a beach would be nice but then EVERYONE would want to live in Chiang Mai. Tuk tuk mafia would move up from Phuket, Russians from Pattaya and a new expanded Immigration Office would be overcrowded AGAIN. crazy.gif

Besides, a beach without surf is just sand. sleep.pngshock1.gif

Capt',

There's six or 7 malls on the way being built...

Brisbane Qld was a pretty ordinary city until the 'south bank' of it's river was converted to park land complete with artificial lagoon/beach after the '88 World Expo.

lagoon.JPG

I couldn't agree more, and all my friends with children too... If you really want more visitors to Chiang Mai get a GREAT WATER PARK. Chiang Mai is a long way to the sea, but with a great water park it wouldn't matter a bit - and lets face it, there's no shortage of water here each year!

My vote is to convert the white elephant that is Rachapreuk into a world class water park / fake beach. The infrastructure (car parks, roads, etc.) are already in place. To me it just seems so obvious that that place needs a new purpose. To be honest, what idiot built it for a flower festival without a clear consideration of what it would be used for afterwards? Crazy! They now have a half-arsed flower festival there each year, but it largely goes unused in-between whilst an army of gardeners are paid to maintain it. For what? lol

Now, funding it... If each Thaivisa member had one burger and a bottle of water less each week and put the money into a central kitty we could do this before the turn of the century... Although, thinking about it , that's not going to work - all the money gets spent on the other kind of kitty ;-0

Anyone remember a water park that was on the road to Hang Dong from, what is now - Airport Plaza? On the eastern side of the road maybe 4-5 km from the Airport Plaza intersection...

*better local beer.

*better pool tables.

*less import tax.

*less traffic.

*all billboards removed.

That'd do for now.

Great answers Keo... I was going to write most of those (there were 3 I missed) but you can take the credit for all these insightful issues on your list! Shazam!!!

Edited by scotbeve

ramrod711,

I guess when I say "long term" it really is a big generalization and up for opinions. I have been in Thailand for 21 years, 11yrs in Pattaya and the last 10yrs in Chiang Mai. I know some older hands that have been here over 40+ years and so that makes me look like a newbie. I really don't know what it takes to make it to the long term status to be honest so maybe I jumped the gun in my post. A man like yourself having been here for 7 years will seem like a long term guy to a guy who's only been here for a year, so I guess it's just relative to an individuals own situation.

Let me know if that makes any sense, as I'm not sure it even makes any sense to me....crying.gif

I appreciate the reply, after seeing it and looking at the original post I have an idea, What you said before, about not wanting things to change too much from when you got here. Maybe it isn't so much the length of the stay that determines our attitude, perhaps it's what we miss about Chiang Mai. I hear people say, "when I got here" and find myself saying it as well. That might be a good topic for discussion, or maybe it already has.

I understand your idea, but think it's a bit of a different topic, maybe wrong though. I think a thread of that nature would be cool, if it hasn't been done already. I know there are definitely some things that I miss having around these days a compared to some years ago.

ramrod711,

I understand your idea, but think it's a bit of a different topic, maybe wrong though. I think a thread of that nature would be cool, if it hasn't been done already. I know there are definitely some things that I miss having around these days a compared to some years ago.

One of you go ahead and start the topic..........

@scotbeve.........tell me about the water park?

I know there are definitely some things that I miss having around these days a compared to some years ago.

The only things that I miss from the old days are much cheaper nighttime entertainment and having a lot less Westerners living here. We were a lot more "special" back then. On the other hand, most of the foriegners back then were head cases and other misanthropes. tongue.png

Edited by Ulysses G.

I know there are definitely some things that I miss having around these days a compared to some years ago.

On the other hand, most of the foriegners back then were head cases and other misanthropes. tongue.png

So no change then.

• Like 2

Have we gotten used to the convoys of pickup trucks with sound systems blasting? Rather than something that is missing in Chiang Mai now, with my magic wand they are something that would be missing promptly.

What's missing?

A lack of foreigners.

Southern charm & hospitality.

Realistic prices on quality merchandise (all of Thailand).

Proper fish 'n chips shop (never going to happen).

Keely's at Mee Chok, as proper as proper including mushy peas

Footpaths.

Good idea,+ bicycle paths too.

Forgot the biggest one of all. Parks with playgrounds in them. The only option kids have to play here is indoors at the malls. The playgrounds at Suan BuakHaard and Huay Tung Tao are a disgrace to say the least.

• Like 1

Forgot the biggest one of all. Parks with playgrounds in them. The only option kids have to play here is indoors at the malls. The playgrounds at Suan BuakHaard and Huay Tung Tao are a disgrace to say the least.

Agreed, and you can add the Rama 9 park to that as well.

Private parks are a lot better though, including Tavichol gardens and even the Royal Flora / Night Safari. A lot of the stuff around the night safari is free actually, quite a lot to see outside without paying anything. Some housing developments also have (small) playgrounds.

*better local beer.

*better pool tables.

*less import tax.

*less traffic.

*all billboards removed.

That'd do for now.

You forgot to mention Change from Thai standards to western standards.rolleyes.gif

*less import tax.

*less traffic.

*all billboards removed.

That'd do for now.

[/quWave the wand and go home

A place that really non profit for any people come to drink coffee/tea, eat some soup, fried rice,... simple food and drink for free, share some experience if they want, or just come to read a book, watch tv, listen to the music (not loud),... may be have some rooms (free)for people who have some problem and no place to sleep (just for a fews day max.), then put some small donate box in case some people what to give a few baht help to survive this place. I am not sure if it will be only a wish, but who know may be possible to begin with 2 baht for a cup of coffeesmile.png .

Someone to pay for your dream

I guess that we all have our own wish and changes list, but if we think about it, we are here, some of us for many years. How many of these wishes and changes would we tolerate until the Chiang Mai , that we know and love, is no longer the Chiang Mai we know and love???

• Like 2

Thanks for that MrBrad........why did it shut down?.......before it's time?.......or poor quality?

It closed because not enough customers.

The question is why?.........was it before it's time?........not enough expats established?.........an alien concept to Thais?........

Thanks for that MrBrad........why did it shut down?.......before it's time?.......or poor quality?

It closed because not enough customers.

The question is why?.........was it before it's time?........not enough expats established?.........an alien concept to Thais?........

Maybe nobody on this forum knows. The real answer lies with the former operators. And, if you could find them, they'd most likely not tell you the truth anyway. They'd lose face having to admit that they either didn't do their homework ahead of time, or they mismanaged the project while it was up and running.

• Like 1

A place that really non profit for any people come to drink coffee/tea, eat some soup, fried rice,... simple food and drink for free, share some experience if they want, or just come to read a book, watch tv, listen to the music (not loud),... may be have some rooms (free)for people who have some problem and no place to sleep (just for a fews day max.), then put some small donate box in case some people what to give a few baht help to survive this place. I am not sure if it will be only a wish, but who know may be possible to begin with 2 baht for a cup of coffeesmile.png .

Someone to pay for your dream

I have some idea (just an idea, it is not mean my dream that I would like so much to catch it) like this for long time, also other thing mixed with idea above, and if I have a really dream for something, I will never ask people to pay for my dream (I like to keep my feet on the ground not fly on air, and try to do many things by myself to exercise my brain and proud of it when it done) , if I can not catch it I will wait and see what is possibility to follow it, in opposite way sometime I pay for other people's dream and they give me back their good hart and work for me and I keep do it even sometime difficult to support.

I see the cost of coffee is very cheap if you can find the way to do by yourselves, and this is not just one thing that I will do, I mean it could be apart from other business(I need to do something for survive too), sometime you get, sometime give, I do not think that it will be much cost and can not survive itself, or may be I am a wrong idea to slow down about materialist system.