Don Mueang Airport Ready To Open For Service On Oct 1

webfact

Don Muang had its shortcomings but hey, I loved the airport as probably a number of the others here.

Can't help it to feel nostalgic over this airport.

well it pups and places had grown in evolution...every time you could find a corner they you didn't know before.

I think it was lovely, while the new airport looks to artificial....

....DM had a very good Thai restaurant before too.......at normal Thai restaurant prices.
  • Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea if any other domestics apart from AirAsia are flying from DM?

.....I believe that is the whole point of the exercise............to move ALL domestic airline operators to DM to ease congestion at Soowaanapoom.

Actually no, they are targeting the low-cost airlines. Thai domestic won't move and neither will Bangkok Air.

.....I believe that is the whole point of the exercise............to move ALL domestic airline operators to DM to ease congestion at Soowaanapoom.

Actually no, they are targeting the low-cost airlines. Thai domestic won't move and neither will Bangkok Air.

I didnt realise that....................Seems a bit unfair giving the 'high'-cost domestics the advantage for international connections at Swampy.

Don Muang had its shortcomings but hey, I loved the airport as probably a number of the others here.

well it pups and places had grown in evolution...every time you could find a corner they you didn't know before.

....DM had a very good Thai restaurant before too.......at normal Thai restaurant prices.

And there used to be a naughty massage place in the car park, later moved to departure level.( or should it be comings / arrivals........)

Knocks Heathrow into a cocked hat.

• Like 2

I frequently operate a light aircraft from Don Muang, and have done so for the past 5 years on and off.

The standard of the runways, 21 Left and 21 Right has been and continues to be excellent.

Runway 21 Left was the most affected by the flooding last year, since it was partialy underwater for several weeks. The crown of Runway 21 Right remained mostly dry during the worst of the flooding, and was used immediately after the airport reopened, whilst Runway 21 Left was completely resurfaced.

The process was reversed earlier this year, and Runway 21 Right has now been completely resurfaced.

Both runways are now fully operational, and I have no hesitation operating out of this airport.

The physical orientation of the runways, and the location of the airport itself is very good. 80% of the time the prevailing winds are straight down the runway, which is ideal. Whoever conceived of its location was very perceptive, whether by design or accident.

In terms of flying in and out of Don Muang from a technical perspective, it is a non issue.

I think the issues are with the infrastructure for passengers rather than that for the aircraft and pilots. Good to hear from someone that understands these things that the aircraft side is OK. Just hope it's as good for larger planes.

One of the other issues is with connecting flights and transport between both airports.

That may well prove to be a massive problem Particularly for people with lots of luggage.. Also going to Pattaya will require a more expensive airline or more expensive land travel

There will always be a viable solution, (Planning,time vs cost) no massive problem

I'm looking forward to my next visit to DM

Edited by 473geo

They had a bar that served micro-brewed beer too.

• Like 1

They had a bar that served micro-brewed beer too.

Whats that then?....new Thai invention?......beer brewed in the microwave? Sorry I'll have to google 'micro-brewed beer'.....never yerd of it!

Whats that then?....new Thai invention?......beer brewed in the microwave? Sorry I'll have to google 'micro-brewed beer'.....never yerd of it!

Micro-brewery. Not sure DM had one, but there were a few in BKK, maybe still are? Probably I should go out more. Is there still a micro brewery in the Londoner, corner Suk 33, Tawadaeng, ... ...?

Terrible airport in a terrible area, and now Air Asia are moving all operations to DMK. Now instead of being only 1 1/2 hours from the airport I am 3 hours from the airport. Thanks AirAsia, thanks Don Muang, you've just lost a good customer.

well you mustn't have travelled from suv to don that often as it is only 40 mins and just what is wrong with the area? have you lived there? I have stayed at the amari for several weeks in this area this year and have nothing but compliments compared to central bangkok. Live somewhere before you slag it off. How many times do you fly? sound like a once a year old moany gimmer to me.

• Like 1

Micro-brewery. Not sure DM had one, but there were a few in BKK, maybe still are? Probably I should go out more. Is there still a micro brewery in the Londoner, corner Suk 33, Tawadaeng, ... ...?

It didn't have a micro-brewery - it had a bar that served micro-brewed beer - just round the corner from the restaurant.

I didnt realise that....................Seems a bit unfair giving the 'high'-cost domestics the advantage for international connections at Swampy.

Don't worry, they're paying 'through the nose' for the privilege, as they don't get the discounts offered to induce LCCs to switch.

'Take what you want, said God, Take it but Pay For It !' smile.png

Terrible airport in a terrible area, and now Air Asia are moving all operations to DMK. Now instead of being only 1 1/2 hours from the airport I am 3 hours from the airport. Thanks AirAsia, thanks Don Muang, you've just lost a good customer.

Actually, I think it's a great airport in a great location.

It's very quick and simple to negotiate.

And it's 20 minutes from me

• Like 1

Swampy has one too. Ground floor.

In 2007 I took an Air Asia flight from BKK to Phuket and came off the flight with the opinion that it was the best carrier I had been on. Everything was good about it and no little annoyances that sometimes irk you with flights. Earlier this month I took a flight from BKK to KUL (LCCT). It was the first time in that period that their flight schedule met my needs so I was glad to be able to fly with them. What a difference 5 years makes. I would rate them now as one of worst carrier I have flown with now.

Firstly, price. They were a little cheaper than Air Asia (9.8k vs 11k with Thai Air). To select a seat, 350k, meal about the same (didn't have time to eat in the morning, and straight into meetings when I got there, so needed a bite on the plane). Crew basically ignored you and any request for somethng not prebooked (a coffee and a sandwich) was met with a response as if I had just slapped her butt. Landed in LCCT which I was not expecting to be an open airfield and shed. Walk a kilometre to get to the terminal from the plane, and the cost of the car to KLCC was about 30 RM more (300 baht). So it worked out more expensive. On the return leg, again found the terminal to be considerably below par (reminded me Khartoum). Over all I can see no reason at all to fly with them. The checking in machine is quite good in that it coughs out both of your boarding passes at the same time which is useful for those who have no visa so would usually have to show an onward ticket, but Thai Air do that also if you buy your ticket at the airport.

They seem to be emulating the Ryan Air model which is a great shame.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

Don't worry, they're paying 'through the nose' for the privilege, as they don't get the discounts offered to induce LCCs to switch.

'Take what you want, said God, Take it but Pay For It !' smile.png

Interestingly enough - I can't find the link right now - you can google it, but it appears the fabulous discounts are/were scaled. ie.(roughly by memory) July was 90% discount, August discount was 50%, September will be 20%, and October will be 10%. By January you are back to paying full Don fees.

So.... only really a 2 month 10% discount, as it's not really ready to go until October anyway.

In 2007 I took an Air Asia flight from BKK to Phuket and came off the flight with the opinion that it was the best carrier I had been on. Everything was good about it and no little annoyances that sometimes irk you with flights. Earlier this month I took a flight from BKK to KUL (LCCT). It was the first time in that period that their flight schedule met my needs so I was glad to be able to fly with them. What a difference 5 years makes. I would rate them now as one of worst carrier I have flown with now.

Firstly, price. They were a little cheaper than Air Asia (9.8k vs 11k with Thai Air). To select a seat, 350k, meal about the same (didn't have time to eat in the morning, and straight into meetings when I got there, so needed a bite on the plane). Crew basically ignored you and any request for somethng not prebooked (a coffee and a sandwich) was met with a response as if I had just slapped her butt. Landed in LCCT which I was not expecting to be an open airfield and shed. Walk a kilometre to get to the terminal from the plane, and the cost of the car to KLCC was about 30 RM more (300 baht). So it worked out more expensive. On the return leg, again found the terminal to be considerably below par (reminded me Khartoum). Over all I can see no reason at all to fly with them. The checking in machine is quite good in that it coughs out both of your boarding passes at the same time which is useful for those who have no visa so would usually have to show an onward ticket, but Thai Air do that also if you buy your ticket at the airport.

Good post - yes, I've found that if the price difference is 1500thb, then you're better off with a full-service carrier like Thai. By the time you add all the extras and the (possible) inconvenience of the KUL LCCT (by the way, the express bus deal to Sentral saves a bit back on that cost) you end up the same.

With their choice to move to the Don, I've added another 600thb to that (round-trip taxi - average road conditions). So from Oct 1st, Air Asia have to be 2,100thb cheaper - and that's actually quite rare that you can get a ticket that much lower. Bangkok Air is normally about 500thb more than Air Asia on domestic - so they already got my business for that, in the new model saving me 1,600thb.

Cheers

Good post - yes, I've found that if the price difference is 1500thb, then you're better off with a full-service carrier like Thai. By the time you add all the extras and the (possible) inconvenience of the KUL LCCT (by the way, the express bus deal to Sentral saves a bit back on that cost) you end up the same.

With their choice to move to the Don, I've added another 600thb to that (round-trip taxi - average road conditions). So from Oct 1st, Air Asia have to be 2,100thb cheaper - and that's actually quite rare that you can get a ticket that much lower. Bangkok Air is normally about 500thb more than Air Asia on domestic - so they already got my business for that, in the new model saving me 1,600thb.

Cheers

Very true - but I neither have the time nor the patience to catch a bus from one terminal to another. I found the BKK Air planes to be very shabby; have things changed?

Cheers

Very true - but I neither have the time nor the patience to catch a bus from one terminal to another. I found the BKK Air planes to be very shabby; have things changed?

Air Asia scattered my family all over the airplane including small children. It was a next to the poorest airline I have ever flown with. South China Air being the absolute pits.

Mel,

A bit of an attack on an actual pilot. Only a small number of airports world-wide have had infrastructure changes to accomodate A380 flights. Taxi way width, gate seperation, baggage handling sytems were the areas of concern. Actual weight loading per wheel did not require re-building runways. Don Muang was served by 747 flights for a long time. Still is, Orient Thai. The vast number of new flights will still be narrow bodied aircraft. Nok operates B737 models and Air Asia A320 and A319.

The Air Force golf course between the runways bothers me a little bit.

Cheers

My experiences with Bangkok air have been clean/comfortable - the ATR72's were a great choice for domestic operations, cheaper and easier to maintain, almost as fast on domestic runs, and for the longer runs to Chiang Mai, etc, A319 or A320.

If you've had a bad run with them, let me now, I'm curious.

Cheers

• Like 1

Air Asia scattered my family all over the airplane including small children. It was a next to the poorest airline I have ever flown with. South China Air being the absolute pits.

It is a great airline if you are looking for cheap flights but if you want the same level of service as non-discount airlines (seats, luggage..) then it really doesn't become much of a deal.

To avoid being split up with your party in the future, print your boarding passes online when you book your tickets. Don't choose seats ($$) but if you print your boarding passes online in advance then it will assign you seats all in a group if available at no extra charge. The only time I have been broken up with others in my group is when I get the tickets at the counter.

Wasn't Don Mueang supposed to be open already?

http://www.thaivisa....diness-decried/

It has been open for a long time with the exception of flooding. The link you point to is about them being unprepared to add extra flights there that BKK couldn't handle due to their runway work. The October schedule to move these low cost carriers (Air Asia being the main one) has always been their goal.

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/563782-low-cost-airlines-and-domestic-flights-to-move-to-don-mueang-airport/

My experiences with Bangkok air have been clean/comfortable - the ATR72's were a great choice for domestic operations, cheaper and easier to maintain, almost as fast on domestic runs, and for the longer runs to Chiang Mai, etc, A319 or A320.

Cheers

I was a while ago, 2006, flight to Phuket again as I recall. The plane just seemed very old and not well cared for which considered that they called themselves a boutique airline which for some reasons raised my expectations.

Cheers

I was a while ago, 2006, flight to Phuket again as I recall. The plane just seemed very old and not well cared for which considered that they called themselves a boutique airline which for some reasons raised my expectations.

Ah, I remember now - for a brief period they purchased some Boeing 717-200's which they mostly operated as their daughter company Siam Reap Airways - unfortunately whoever set the maintenance standards in Siam Reap was..... terrible, and ended up getting blacklisted by the EU. When Siam Reap Airways was finally shut down in 2008 they took the planes back to Bangkok Airways, but some of them were not in a fit state to operate anymore without extensive refurbishment, so they sold them off and replaced with A319 and A320.

I suspect you got a Siam Reap 712 flying a Bangkok Airways Phuket route.

Funnily enough - I suspect if I check tail registrations I'll find those poor 712's are in service with Orient Thai now whistling.gif

EDIT - I should say I've seen Orient Thai as recently as last year operating a One, Two, Go 717 still in it's original colours - nicely sensitive to the feelings of Orient Thai passengers....

Edited by airconsult

well you mustn't have travelled from suv to don that often as it is only 40 mins and just what is wrong with the area? have you lived there? I have stayed at the amari for several weeks in this area this year and have nothing but compliments compared to central bangkok. Live somewhere before you slag it off. How many times do you fly? sound like a once a year old moany gimmer to me.

I've never lived there but I have flown into there on many occasions actually, and battled the traffic back through BKK to get onto the expressway way to Rayong. It takes much longer, that was my main point - what exactly was yours? The airport is also lousy with not enough staff, shit facilities IMHO etc etc....I've been living in Thailand for 3 years and I fly at least twice a month, both domestic and international. I'm 34 years old by the way, that's not really old, and after living in BKK for 3 weeks your hardly an expert yourself!!! A forum is to express views and discuss, not to lash out at people's thoughts. Moron.

That's a shame, I guess you have been unlucky...I have never had any issues with them - yes I know they add the little extras like seats, meals and baggage to the bill and it doesn't work out much cheaper. But I have flown with them for 3 years and never had a bad flight, or any problems during travel. I'm going to the MotoGP in Malaysia in October so need to fly to KL...Airasia are by far the cheapest but now i will need to add the extra journey in the taxi to get to Don Muang..It's put me right off flying with them as I hate spending any more time than absolutely necessary in a car.

It didn't have a micro-brewery - it had a bar that served micro-brewed beer - just round the corner from the restaurant.

Pretty good brew as well but always found that I spent most departures in the Bill Bently Bar/Pub/lounge on the first floor left hand side of international depts check in.

Get the right seat and you could watch the diminishing Q on the China Airways Desk (Via Amsterdam) and when clear just walk down,chk in and go back and finish your pint...goto be easy.

Whats the score at the Don....have they opened the whole airport or just the domestic?

Last visit I got the train from DM to CM ...just to do it the once ....and had a walk over the motorway bridge but the end doorway to the airport was blocked off.

Recon the Amari must have also suffered over the last few years with no direct access.

Spoke to a couple of Thai sparks who were installing some new lights who suggested that the walkway migh re open in future but Mi KJ...Whole thing looked a bid sad...