Internet Service Without An Year Contract

bytebuster

I would like to get a second Internet connection just in case if my primary one is down (it is satellite by UBC).

I'm used to be a customer of TOT and 3BB and I'm aware that they both require an annual contract if you're a farang.

Earlier 3BB even required to pay one year in advance, but currently they just need a contract with a fee of 6,500 THB if you want to quit. 6,500 is really insane considering that full annual cost is about 8,500.

I'm looking for any option that would allow me:

1. It should be ADSL or TV cable, not a satellite (I have one).
  2. Pay the service monthly
  3. Possibility to quit any time.
  4. Optionally, I don't mind to pay "installation fee" if item #3 is guaranteed.
  5. Possibility to move (with the service), provided that cables are available and yet another "installation fee" is paid;
  6. A contract in English.
  7. I don't need anything fancy, just a spare connection;
  8. I don't need any equipment as I have everything.

Here are more details: it's a Darkside; there are cables from 3BB in the area; There's a TV cable in a house from Thipmanee but they don't offer Internet.

Any ideas?

ToT has an 1 time early cancellation fee of 1070 THB.

My friend moved his ToT internet from his Condo to his House and there where no Additional Costs. Installation at both his House and before his Condo where free.

But if you really want no cancellation fee's then get a 12-call (AIS) Aircard, and a around 350 THB 1 GB 3G Plan as other Members already suggested.

This post will help:

http://www.thaivisa....-maps-thailand/

Edited by MJCM

Guys thank you so much for your suggestions. They are very compelling, but each has its own disadvantages. I'm kind of picky. :)

I have a 3G dongle and subscribed to a service by 1-2-Call. I use it for traveling, but its performance (384 kbps) is not even near to what I need.

A dongle would help only if you have a single computer, so I didn't even consider it an Internet connection. :)

What I really need is something that can be wired into a LAN via router. The router is running DD-WRT firmware so I can setup automatic routing scripts or even use both links on same time.

I've googled for a 3G modem with LAN links and asked in TukCom, but nothing found. If you're aware about any, that would be great.

Sophon Broadband lets you pay month to month and has all the things you asked for. Was getting really good speed most of the time as well.

Sophon has a great service (and there are many positive feedbacks here), but they also refused to serve in my area :(

Since when did UBC offer Satelite Internet ?

Or do you have a True Dish and True happens to be your ADSL ISP ?

It's not ADSL, it's a dish with UBC logo. The contract is with True Visions Cable Public Co.

I was going to suggest Thipmanee, I have had their ADSL previously.... seems (according to the OP) they no longer do internet.

Maybe they still do, but not in my area :(

ToT has an 1 time early cancellation fee of 1070 THB.

1070 plus an upfront payment for the next month that you can't use. :) Nevertheless, ToT does not serve in my area.

Get a Thai to do the registration for you. Then you can pay monthly.

That is cheating. If I quit, a Thai will remain with a bounding contract. My TGF suggested this to me, but again, I'm picky. If there's a legal way to do something, why cheat?

My landlord has 3BB as well and he asked 3BB if the second house can be bound to an existing contract (therefore, no need of contract termination), but no luck. Each house must be a separate contract.

Guys thank you so much for your suggestions. They are very compelling, but each has its own disadvantages. I'm kind of picky. smile.png

I have a 3G dongle and subscribed to a service by 1-2-Call. I use it for traveling, but its performance (384 kbps) is not even near to what I need.

< snip>

I bought my AIS Aircard in their shop in BIG C Extra.

It has the following writing on it AIRCARD 3G 7.2Mbps.

I am downloading at pretty good speeds (definitely more then 384 kbps), maybe you have exceeded your usage and then they set you back to a speed of 384 kbps.

Look at the Volume Based Packages here: http://www.ais.co.th...netsim-package/

And also look at this , it is about a 3G router with aircard

ais_aircard_3G_doublesurf-05.jpg

Edited by MJCM

The 3g services in Pattaya all usually give between 1 and 8 mbps. If you subscribe to the proper package.

In your case you might have a time based package? They are indeed capped at 384 kbps.

I just bought a D-link dwr 112, it's a router (wifi and 4 lan ports), and also has a usb port in which you can stick most common usb 3G dongles.

Easy to use as a back up, just use it to supply internet to your existing router as back up. Can disable the wifi if not needed...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Since when did UBC offer Satelite Internet ?

Or do you have a True Dish and True happens to be your ADSL ISP ?

bytebuster

It's not ADSL, it's a dish with UBC logo. The contract is with True Visions Cable Public Co

If your "dish" does not look like this then you don't have Satellite Internet which is NOT offered by True

post-10942-0-78399900-1345384108_thumb.j

Edited by Langsuan Man

If your "dish" does not look like this then you don't have Satellite Internet which is NOT offered by True

It has nothing to do with neither ToT nor iPSTAR. As I told, it is UBC operated by True Visions Cable Public Co.