Nok-Air To Start Flying Cnx-Hdy Direct

Ricardo

Just heard that Nok-Air plans to start flying CNX-HDY direct, starting 1st January 2013, departing CNX 08.30 and HDY 11.05.

There's a launch-sale announced, for bookings between 6pm and 8 am, made between 16th & 22nd August, with a fare of B1,288 each-way, although a quick look at the booking-engine just now shows more-like B3k return.

Good news that Air Asia, whose fares had been starting to get expensive on this direct-route, will now get some competition, this will hopefully be good for us customers ! smile.png

Took a Google search to see what HDY was ? hat yai in Southern Thailand.

Can't say I ever been that far, only to Phuket. So, somebody, clue me in, what would one do there for a few days holiday ?

Gidday, been lots of time to Hat Yai as its a quick visa run to Malaysia. not much in the Town but the coastal area gets a good write up.

Can't say I ever been that far, only to Phuket. So, somebody, clue me in, what would one do there for a few days holiday ?

For us, it's visiting family ! Sorry ... I'm so familiar with the airport-code, i forgot others might not be !

Hat Yai is about 30km from the Malaysian border, and has a very-lively nightlife/shopping-scene, popular with Malaysian/Singaporean tourists at week-ends, both single-men and couples/families.

Farangs might find it good for visa-runs to Penang, about 4 hours by minibus from Hat-Yai,

It's also an excellent jumping-off point for Koh Lipe (via Pak Bara Pier), Trang & Koh Lanta & Krabi, on the Andaman-side, or Songkla & Koh Samui on the Gulf-of-Thailand side.

Personally I find it hot & humid, with excellent shopping for farang-sized clothes, also the food is good, it's a very Chinese city (4th-largest in Thailand ?) which we find fun to visit, but wouldn't want to live in.

Air Asia have previously done a daily direct-flight for the past couple of years.

Edited by Ricardo

It caters mostly to the sex and alcohol abstainers from Malaysia.

• Like 2

For us, it's visiting family ! Sorry ... I'm so familiar with the airport-code, i forgot others might not be !

Hat Yai is about 30km from the Malaysian border, and has a very-lively nightlife/shopping-scene, popular with Malaysian/Singaporean tourists at week-ends, both single-men and couples/families.

Farangs might find it good for visa-runs to Penang, about 4 hours by minibus from Hat-Yai,

It's also an excellent jumping-off point for Koh Lipe (via Pak Bara Pier), Trang & Koh Lanta & Krabi, on the Andaman-side, or Songkla & Koh Samui on the Gulf-of-Thailand side.

Personally I find it hot & humid, with excellent shopping for farang-sized clothes, also the food is good, it's a very Chinese city (4th-largest in Thailand ?) which we find fun to visit, but wouldn't want to live in.

Air Asia have previously done a daily direct-flight for the past couple of years.

We some times go to Nonkong Si Tamaret is it close. and would there be transportation between the two. Money is of course to be considered but I was primarily thinking of it as a all around experience. Wife's daughter lives in Nonkong.

Not much there Jeffrey unless u are missing durians ..they got some good plantations there ...baring that it's just like another hot Thailand city with markets etc ...

Like any other hot featureless Thailand city, with lots of markets and whores.

We some times go to Nonkong Si Tamaret is it close. and would there be transportation between the two. Money is of course to be considered but I was primarily thinking of it as a all around experience. Wife's daughter lives in Nonkong.

Nonkong Si Tamaret????

How about Nakhon Si Thammarat?

• Like 2

Hat Yai is nice for a couple of days shopping and eating real Chinese food. Songkhla is a beautiful city and is also very nice. Nice beaches in Pattani. Koh Lipe is close. Some of the most beautiful girls in Thailand (Chinese) can be found in Hat Yai - in large numbers. The culture is very interesting. I really enjoy going down South.

Nonkong Si Tamaret????

okay works for me.

I am multi talented.

It good for a starting point down south. Like others have said the town itself isn't very lively and there's a good chance of getting bombed(not in the good way). Also a quick trip to Langkawi Island(Malaysia) for some R&R and serious duty-free shopping.

It good for a starting point down south. Like others have said the town itself isn't very lively and there's a good chance of getting bombed(not in the good way). Also a quick trip to Langkawi Island(Malaysia) for some R&R and serious duty-free shopping.

I wouldn't say there is "a good chance of getting bombed" in Hat Yai. No more so than in London, Madrid, new York, etc. It could happen anywhere.

I wouldn't say there is "a good chance of getting bombed" in Hat Yai. No more so than in London, Madrid, new York, etc. It could happen anywhere.

If you compare cities in Thailand, there is a chance of "getting bombed" in Hat Yai.

Yes, definitely an exaggeration, but like "Semper: says, if it going to happen in Thailand, it most likely will be(and has been) in Hat yai.

Air asia have been running this route for years so its not like its a sudden new option ??

That is what I thought...but I didn't want to spoil the party!laugh.png

I do take your point gents, Air Asia have been flying the route since the start of last year, but prices had been creeping-up since they had a monopoly, and now they won't any longer.

I myself flew CNX-HDY some 15 years ago, with Orient Thai Express, on an elderly B727 so it definitely isn't a new route, but the prospect of a second flight by a different airline somehow seemed news-worthy, especially with the launch-sale.

Managed to get a ticket for Mrs R, for only B2,619 return late-January, so she's a happy bunny ! smile.png

I understand that Hat Yai is off-limits to Australians. We've had a warning sent out from the Federal Dept handling such things, which means no insurance, blah blah if we decide to risk it going to the south by road or rail.

Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

"This Advice was last issued on Friday, 17 August 2012. It contains new information under Terrorism (recent incidents in the south) and Local travel (international flights will resume from Don Mueang airport in Bangkok in October and revised information on beach safety). We continue to advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the threat of terrorist attack, particularly in the provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where we advise you not to travel."

"

• We strongly advise you not to travel at this time to the southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla or overland to and from the Malaysian border through these provinces due to high levels of ongoing violence in these regions, including terrorist attacks and bombings resulting in deaths and injuries on an almost daily basis. Since January 2004, possibly as many as five thousand people have been killed and many more injured, including a number of foreigners. If you are in these provinces, you should consider leaving"

...and in London, New York??

• 1 month later...

"I wouldn't say there is "a good chance of getting bombed" in Hat Yai. No more so than in London, Madrid, new York, etc. It could happen anywhere"

There was a major bombing incident in Hat Yai just a few months ago; the biggest shopping center in the city was blown up. The whole area is a center of unrrest so there is definitely more of a chance there of getting injured or killed than getting hurt in any of the cities named above. Most tourist guides indicate this too and do not recommend travel there for a reason.

Also, Hat Yai is pricey by Thai standards because it is a place Malaysians go to for sex trips. Hotels are more much more expensive than they are in CM and you get less. It is possible to fly directly from CM to KL on Air Asia for a cheap price. Why take the extra risk?

"I wouldn't say there is "a good chance of getting bombed" in Hat Yai. No more so than in London, Madrid, new York, etc. It could happen anywhere"

There was a major bombing incident in Hat Yai just a few months ago; the biggest shopping center in the city was blown up. The whole area is a center of unrrest so there is definitely more of a chance there of getting injured or killed than getting hurt in any of the cities named above. Most tourist guides indicate this too and do not recommend travel there for a reason.

Also, Hat Yai is pricey by Thai standards because it is a place Malaysians go to for sex trips. Hotels are more much more expensive than they are in CM and you get less. It is possible to fly directly from CM to KL on Air Asia for a cheap price. Why take the extra risk?

Good advice.

I happen to like it there. I would not say that Hat Yai is "is a center of unrest" at all. Maybe Yala or Narathiwat but certainly not Hat Yai. I've spent a lot of time there and in Songkhla as well as Pattani and never once felt any danger (although Pattani could be dangerous). The culture there is much different than anywhere else in Thailand. I like it there but would not live there.

• Like 2

Only about 30 minutes to the Malay border - minibuses go from Hat Yai to Penang where there is a Thai Consulate for visas (they don't issue double entry tourist visas there for some reason, but same day issue - apply morning, pick up afternoon). Hat Yai itself is boring and full of Malay day tourists on the bargain hunt, but a couple of hours to the east or the west is coast (alternative rainly seasons). Some beautiful islands off Saturn - including Langkawi which is in Malaysia Beautiful but totally for western tourists, and it's a 2 hour ferry ride or 30 minute flight to Penang. Could be a 'differnet' border or visa run for some people who would normally go to KL.

• 3 months later...

Booking some Air Asia flights in their current sale, I noticed that they will be adding a second CNX-HDY-CNX daily from Saturday 16th February onwards, to operate in the evening.

One can hope that, as they fight it out with Nok Air's new daily flight, we customers might see some good fares as a result of the increased competition ? smile.png

Nonkong Si Tamaret????

No, no you misunderstand. He is required to rape every single Thai word in a creative way. I give this one 3.5 out of 5 stars.

But anyway, if you're going to Nakhon Si from Had Yai then that's still a two and a half hour drive. Then again it's a b*tch to get to no matter which way you go.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Looking on Nokair's website, for a ticket to Hat Yai next week, it appears that there are no flights after Sunday 30th June.

I guess the pressure of Air Asia adding a second daily flight must have reduced loads for Nok, so that they are withdrawing from the route, pity. sad.png