Non-immigrant Type B Visa Renewal

Not sure what I need to do.

I was issued a Non-Immigrant visa type B from the UK and have been leaving Thailand and coming back every 3 months. I am currently working as a teacher which I have been told this is OK as it is a business visa (please confirm).

My main question is what do I do when this 1 year visa expires and I want to continue working? Is it just a case of getting a letter from my employer stating I work for them, then returning to UK embassy in Hull and getting another 12 month type B visa.

Just to confirm it is not possible for me to get a work permit as I do not have a degree.

Look forward for your replies.

Thanks

OK, here we go.

Firstly, a Non-B alone does NOT allow you to work, as a teacher or anything else, you need a WORK PERMIT. If you don't have a work permit you are working illegally :o

If you DO have a work permit then, subject to certain salary requirements (IIRC 50,000 Baht per month) you can use the permit to extend your stay in Thailand up to 1 year at a time. Your employer should know what is required and how to do this.

If you don't meet the salary requirements then you can still have a WP but you CANNOT get the extension of stay and must leave the Kingdom every 90 days and will need to get a new visa when your current one expires.

Very few (if any) consulates in Asia will issue multi-entry B visas (which you will need if you're not meeting the salary requirements). Others will point you to the nearest location where a multi-B is available, but I suspect you'll end up going to Oz or back to the UK to get a further visa.

Let us know your current WP / salary situation, further assistance will be forthcoming.

BTW, welcome to Thaivisa :D

EDIT: Just read the bit about you not having a degree, is a degree absolutely necessary for a teaching WP? (anybody, I'm not a teacher and I do have a degree), surely a recognised teaching qualification will do the trick.

Edited by Crossy

OK, here we go.

Firstly, a Non-B alone does NOT allow you to work, as a teacher or anything else, you need a WORK PERMIT. If you don't have a work permit you are working illegally :o

If you DO have a work permit then, subject to certain salary requirements (IIRC 50,000 Baht per month) you can use the permit to extend your stay in Thailand up to 1 year at a time. Your employer should know what is required and how to do this.

If you don't meet the salary requirements then you can still have a WP but you CANNOT get the extension of stay and must leave the Kingdom every 90 days and will need to get a new visa when your current one expires.

Very few (if any) consulates in Asia will issue multi-entry B visas (which you will need if you're not meeting the salary requirements). Others will point you to the nearest location where a multi-B is available, but I suspect you'll end up going to Oz or back to the UK to get a further visa.

Let us know your current WP / salary situation, further assistance will be forthcoming.

BTW, welcome to Thaivisa :D

EDIT: Just read the bit about you not having a degree, is a degree absolutely necessary for a teaching WP? (anybody, I'm not a teacher and I do have a degree), surely a recognised teaching qualification will do the trick.

Hey Crossy,

Just read your very informative response to Logansmith - sounds like i'm in similar position, Non-Imm B, working as teacher without WP (due more to slow/shady? Thai education agency - than lack of qualification) and coming up for renewal.

I'm not convinced my Agency/school will come up with assistance in time, further than a letter of recommendation/offer of employment, BUT I have some UK cash (1mill Baht+) that's been sitting visibly in my account for over a year - Do you think i get any leeway for Non-Imm extension by being self-supporting? and is this maybe the line to follow "i got a non-imm B in UK because i was doing a TEFL course, i've not yet used it for work purposes (lie) because i've been investigating options & living off my own cash, i'm now ready to start work - can i have a visa extension please, nice Mr Immigration man?"

How does that sound? & if it sounds ok, would that not be more effective in a local consulate, where money is king, rather than back in blighty?

Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.