Foodies - Ginger & Khaomao Khaofang

LawrenceChee

Been to these 2 places to eat and they are hidden gems to entertain visitors and expats handouts

Ginger is located near the tapas gate and looks really a furniture showcase restaurant nice chairs and all the dishes there were really delicious plenty of international and Thai choices ...final bill for 4 including wine (chile char) did not hit beyond 1500 baht

Was at Khaomao Khaofang near Hang Dong ..a giant rainforest theme restaurant ...the outside looks real ordinary but the interior wows u in Chiang Mai ...food wise average but the ambience scores and is a great place for a drinks with friends if you are tired of the traffic along the river

I agree that they are good places to take farang visitors for an atmospheric experience but certainly not for the food in either. Ginger is beautifully decorated, has well trained staff and makes the food presentation an art. But I have yet to enjoy the any of the food because it seldom has a cleanly evident taste of what it is supposed to be.

As for Khaomao, all I can say is if you like to look at falling water then that is all you will enjoy. Very indifferent food, inattentive staff - what's new - and generally a most unedifying experience.

I should add that I am a very undemanding person when it comes to restaurant ambience. A street stall or a small cafe is just as enjoyable as a hi-so place. What matters is the food, whatever the cuisine.

Khaomao - I guess they rely on the place looking good as the food is generally very poor and as mentioned,service somewhat lacking.

Took some friends to the Muslim restaurant first soi off the night bazaar two days ago.All agreed great food and the price for 6 people including soft drinks was 480 baht. Not as pretty as Khaomao though. smile.png

I agree that they are good places to take farang visitors for an atmospheric experience but certainly not for the food in either. Ginger is beautifully decorated, has well trained staff and makes the food presentation an art. But I have yet to enjoy the any of the food because it seldom has a cleanly evident taste of what it is supposed to be.

That is my take on Ginger as well. They had excellent chips last time I was there, but nothing else I have tried stood out in the least.

• Like 1