Photo Club?

new farang

I just came across this section of the forum and thought this would be a great place to ask. I have friends elsewhere who are members of photography clubs that meet every so often and look at eachother's work, answer general photo questions, and seemingly inspire each other to go out and take more photos. Apparently these are great sources of useful information like which labs are best, where to get certain gear and sharing tips and tricks. Anyone know if such a thing exists here in Bangkok? Better yet, one where the members communicate in English (my Thai is coming along slowly but surely - not there yet)?

I'd love any and all suggestions as I'd love to further my photography skills and abilities. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I just came across this section of the forum and thought this would be a great place to ask. I have friends elsewhere who are members of photography clubs that meet every so often and look at eachother's work, answer general photo questions, and seemingly inspire each other to go out and take more photos. Apparently these are great sources of useful information like which labs are best, where to get certain gear and sharing tips and tricks. Anyone know if such a thing exists here in Bangkok? Better yet, one where the members communicate in English (my Thai is coming along slowly but surely - not there yet)?

I'd love any and all suggestions as I'd love to further my photography skills and abilities. Thanks!

Going field trip together in a group should be fun.

• 3 months later...

Nothing formal has come of it, but it seems like there is enough interest to get it going. So far, I've just befriended a few Thai professional and enthusiast photographers and I go shooting with them from time to time. I'd definately be interested in lining up something more organized - maybe meet some Friday evening for drinks and a little quick planning - then head out the next morning on a day trip to some destination for shooting, like Bang Po on the coast (I hear it's very nice and only an hour away).

What kinds of photos do people like taking? Personally, I'm still tightening up my skills so I'm pretty open to try anything and learn and share ideas with whoever is interested. Anyone else for a a day of shooting some weekend? (I'm rather busy with a move that should be over just after the beginning of June - hopefully!).

Best,

Barrett

• 9 months later...

Hi Barrett,

Did you manage to work out any organized photo shooting outings?

Nothing formal has come of it, but it seems like there is enough interest to get it going. So far, I've just befriended a few Thai professional and enthusiast photographers and I go shooting with them from time to time. I'd definately be interested in lining up something more organized - maybe meet some Friday evening for drinks and a little quick planning - then head out the next morning on a day trip to some destination for shooting, like Bang Po on the coast (I hear it's very nice and only an hour away).

What kinds of photos do people like taking? Personally, I'm still tightening up my skills so I'm pretty open to try anything and learn and share ideas with whoever is interested. Anyone else for a a day of shooting some weekend? (I'm rather busy with a move that should be over just after the beginning of June - hopefully!).

Best,

Barrett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I'm based in Bangkok but also would be interested in some field trips - around here or elsewhere in Thailand. Just beginning.

There is an active Thai group called PixPros (www pixpros net). All in Thai however :o Later this month they will have an all day training session - Sunday 25th in Bangkok if you are interested I could send you info. Class will be in Thai.

Please let me know if anything is organized - or if people are waiting for someone do to something I might. The next month is a little problematic for me but that will end.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
Hi - I'm based in Bangkok but also would be interested in some field trips - around here or elsewhere in Thailand. Just beginning.

There is an active Thai group called PixPros (www pixpros net). All in Thai however :o Later this month they will have an all day training session - Sunday 25th in Bangkok if you are interested I could send you info. Class will be in Thai.

Please let me know if anything is organized - or if people are waiting for someone do to something I might. The next month is a little problematic for me but that will end.

Thanks,

I have just taken up photography as a new hobby and would be really interested in joining a local club. I will have a look at pixpros as above but ideally would like to join an English speaking group. Is there any such group in Thailand?

Dave

There is a very active Black and White photography club in Thailand but there is hardly any English spoken among the group. I see a few members here and there for coffee and chit chat. Me and a few western photographers get together in Bangkok sometimes for coffee and small talk but it is not any kind of photography club nor formal in any way. Its more of a small group of friends exchanging travel notes since we all have different ideas about imagery.

If anyone is interested in Black and White Photography in film or digital just send me a PM with a e-mail.

There is a very active Black and White photography club in Thailand but there is hardly any English spoken among the group. I see a few members here and there for coffee and chit chat. Me and a few western photographers get together in Bangkok sometimes for coffee and small talk but it is not any kind of photography club nor formal in any way. Its more of a small group of friends exchanging travel notes since we all have different ideas about imagery.

If anyone is interested in Black and White Photography in film or digital just send me a PM with a e-mail.

I love the look of black and white film, so I'd be pretty curious about setting something up. Unfortunately, I just got some rolls back from my Myanmar trip and the lab managed to scratch nearly every neg on all rolls! So sad, but I guess I have an excuse to go back now.

I'll be out of town until the second half of April, but when I return I'd be quite interested in meeting up with some other fellow photographers - whether it be a formal discussion of technique or a friendly meeting over coffee. I'll check back in around that time... Until then, enjoy the snaps.

New Farang,

There are few Thai's Photo Clubs in Bangkok but most are very small and half of the time they are "no Show" and if you do join them you might sometime find some difficult for them to communicating with you or the other way around, however there's one professional Westerner's club at:

Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand

Penthouse, Maneeya Building

518/5 Ploenchit Road

Bangkok, 10330

Tel: +66 02 652 0581-2

Fax: +66 02 652 0582

Again, these guys and gals are veterans and are not easy to get in unless been invited by invitation.

My best suggestion would be starting one of your own if you gather enough photography enthusiasms you will be surprise to see both Farangs/Expats as well as Thais signing up. I was thinking starting up that myself few years ago, please let me know how you do. Good luck !

mickey

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to go out for a photo shoot walk next weekend for a few hours somewhere in Bangkok? Early in the day maybe or could be sunset time. Maybe interesting neighborhood? Beginning photographer with SLR.

Edited by Valjean

I heard of an informal photography group where people meet once a month to show photos (they set a theme of the month) run by a very active woman (farang). Normally there would be around 10 people at each gathering. I'll send her a link to this message board, she might be interested in recruiting more members.

Cheers,

ML

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am interested in keeping in touch with anyone in Thailand with anyone who is interested in Photography. I live in Nongbua Lamphu, Nongmuang and will, in July 2008 be travelling to take photos of all aspects of Thailand. I speak some Thai, have a Thai wife and enjoy all Thai food, especially somtam and sticky rice, gai man kaow etc. I have been asked to open a studio to teach computer and photography with a sculptor (who is a policeman) and an artist, painter in nakglan. Perhaps that is your dream as well, if so perhaps it is worth talking about. I check my post more often at [email protected]. It would be great to set up a network of clubs to see work from all over Thailand, any suggestions. I use to belong to the Brackley photographic club in England .Thanks

Edited by paulm

Hi, I am interested in keeping in touch with anyone in Thailand with anyone who is interested in Photography. I live in Nongbua Lamphu, Nongmuang and will, in July 2008 be travelling to take photos of all aspects of Thailand. I speak some Thai, have a Thai wife and enjoy all Thai food, especially somtam and sticky rice, gai man kaow etc. I have been asked to open a studio to teach computer and photography with a sculptor (who is a policeman) and an artist, painter in nakglan. Perhaps that is your dream as well, if so perhaps it is worth talking about. I check my post more often at [email protected]. It would be great to set up a network of clubs to see work from all over Thailand, any suggestions. I use to belong to the Brackley photographic club in England .Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new here on the forum, not to photography, just moved to Bkk from Chiang Mai, anybody interested in starting up something like this:

" informal photography group where people meet once a month to show photos "

" My best suggestion would be starting one of your own if you gather enough photography enthusiasms you will be surprise to see both Farangs/Expats as well as Thais signing up. I was thinking starting up that myself few years ago, please let me know how you do. Good luck ! "

send me a PM and I'll see if we can get it together