What'S The Point Of Buffalos?

theblether

Could always go the buffalo museum in Bangkok to find out.

This question does of cause lead to a deeper question as to what is the ultimate point of a buffalo, or any other animal for that matter. I would contest the question and ask on what basis there needs to be one (a point).

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have gotten a better response to your question if you had kept an eye on your spelling and grammar.

Your question should read:

What is the point of one buffalo?

or if the plural was intended:

What is the point of buffali?

One might have gotten more applause for your attempt at a derailment had you tried to be less pretentious or at least checked your vocabulary and grammar first. the -i ending for plurals is usually applied to latin-based words, and the commonly accepted plurals of buffalo are 'buffalo', 'buffaloes' and 'buffalos'.

Nope...you're wrong Street Cowboy... the correct plural is buffali. It is explained in simple terms here:

Edited by Phronesis

You might have gotten a better response to your question if you had kept an eye on your spelling and grammar.

Your question should read:

What is the point of one buffalo?

or if the plural was intended:

What is the point of buffali?

One might have gotten more applause for your attempt at a derailment had you tried to be less pretentious or at least checked your vocabulary and grammar first. the -i ending for plurals is usually applied to latin-based words, and the commonly accepted plurals of buffalo are 'buffalo', 'buffaloes' and 'buffalos'.

Nope...you're wrong Street Cowboy... the correct plural is buffali. It is explained in simple terms here:

So you learn your English from six-year-old light entertainment artistes?

I dread to think who trained you for you job. I can only hope that you live in a society with very attractive unemployment benefits

SC

SC

• Like 2

The reason why there are buffalos in Thailand, is because there are stupid farangs that will give the owners lots of money when the buffalos become sick.

Old news. (yawn)bah.gif

The old ones are the best

(as your granny always tells you, when she's up and rock & rollin' with the rest)

My father in law had one to die a few years ago. He just turned up dead one morning and he decided to butcher him before he got too hot. One thing I will say is that they did not waste any of the poor beast. To me the meat was worthless, much like maybe chewing on an old belt. The family had a large cook out that night with the meat that had been boiled for a good 6 hr. The best part of the whole thing were the bottles of Hong Thong that made it go down. Waste not, want not.

My father in law had one to die a few years ago. He just turned up dead one morning and he decided to butcher him before he got too hot. One thing I will say is that they did not waste any of the poor beast. To me the meat was worthless, much like maybe chewing on an old belt. The family had a large cook out that night with the meat that had been boiled for a good 6 hr. The best part of the whole thing were the bottles of Hong Thong that made it go down. Waste not, want not.

Would it not have been less of a waste to dump the buffalio on the bonfire and go straight to the Hong Thong? there's nothing so wasteful as things you don;t need to do

Here is the "SECRET" recipee that my Thai family uses to cook a buffalo. Apparently it has been handed down from mother to daughter for hundreds of years.

I am told that it makes at least 200 individual serves and is therefore useful for Isaan weddings, funerals, and other traditional festivities:

Ingredients

1. One whole buffalo
  2. 1000 gallons of water
  3. 1 pound of salt
  4. 4 bottles of rice whiskey
  5. 1 large clay water tank
  6. 50 pounds of river gravel
  7. 1 pound of dried chilli powder

Method

1. Skin, gut, and dehorn the buffalo. Cut into large chunks
  2. Pour the water into the clay tank and put it on high heat for 12 hours until boiling vigorously
  3. Add the buffalo, river gravel, whiskey, and salt to the boiling water
  4. Cook on high heat for a further 48 hours
  5. Drain the water and discard the buffalo
  6. Season the river gravel with chilli powder and eat while hot

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 1

Fighting. Good buffalo can rake in 500,000 Baht in one fight.

There you go........I didn't know that.......did you know that Smokie?

Correct, buffalo fighting is very big on Samui. I take it you don't live here ermm.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Without irony, it might actually just be someone's pet. I was in Lamai beach not too long ago and saw a solitary buffalo munching away contentedly and I never gave it another the thought. The next day I heard that there was a mild commotion at the hotel as the tourists were all snapping away at a local bringing his buffalo down to the beach for a bit of a swim / bath and walk a long the seaside.

Edit : just found out about the buffalo fighting in Samui. Didn't know about that before, that's probably what it is.

Edited by Trembly

Without irony, it might actually just be someone's pet. I was in Lamai beach not too long ago and saw a solitary buffalo munching away contentedly and I never gave it another the thought. The next day I heard that there was a mild commotion at the hotel as the tourists were all snapping away at a local bringing his buffalo down to the beach for a bit of a swim / bath and walk a long the seaside.

Edit : just found out about the buffalo fighting in Samui. Didn't know about that before, that's probably what it is.

Same me.....you learn something new every day.

We normally call the points of buffalo horns, though that now may be considered politically incorrect

EDIT: Surprisingly there is neither a buffalo-fighting thread nor a bullfighting thread in the Sports forum, I suppose it just goes to show how narrow-minded and limited are the interests of us TVers

Edited by StreetCowboy

Here is the "SECRET" recipee that my Thai family uses to cook a buffalo. Apparently it has been handed down from mother to daughter for hundreds of years.

I am told that it makes at least 200 individual serves and is therefore useful for Isaan weddings, funerals, and other traditional festivities:

Ingredients

1. One whole buffalo
  2. 1000 gallons of water
  3. 1 pound of salt
  4. 4 bottles of rice whiskey
  5. 1 large clay water tank
  6. 50 pounds of river gravel
  7. 1 pound of dried chilli powder

Method

1. Skin, gut, and dehorn the buffalo. Cut into large chunks
  2. Pour the water into the clay tank and put it on high heat for 12 hours until boiling vigorously
  3. Add the buffalo, river gravel, whiskey, and salt to the boiling water
  4. Cook on high heat for a further 48 hours
  5. Drain the water and discard the buffalo
  6. Season the river gravel with chilli powder and eat while hot

You should always add two large rocks, when they go soft you know it is ready for eating.

My MIL had 5 last year 3 had babies so that was 8 and this year 3 babies again.. so as you can see its good money,,,, They get let out into the fields after rice season is finished where they meet male buffalo and they mate.... She has all female buffalo so she has her head screwed on