French Tourist Dies Snorkeling In Phi Phi Speedboat Accident

webfact

French tourist dies snorkeling in Phi Phi speedboat accident

Phuket Gazette

pp.jpeg

Phi Phi Island is popular with snorkelers, but the speedboats that ferry them there from Phuket are never far away. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- A French tourist died after being struck by a speedboat while snorkeling off Phi Phi Island, near Phuket, yesterday afternoon.

Phi Phi Police named the man as Olivier Jannequin, 42 years old.

Police were notified of the accident at about 12:30pm.

Mr Jannequin was travelling with four Frenchmen. Two of them went snorkeling not far from the shore, the Phuket Gazette was told.

“While one of them was snorkeling, he heard his friend cry out. When he looked up he saw a speedboat speeding away very quickly. His friend was hit on the head and shoulder. He died at the scene,” an officer told the Gazette.

Mr Jannequin’s body was sent to Krabi Hospital pending further investigation by the police.

The Gazette has yet to confirm what action, if any, is being taken by the police to find the speedboat driver for questioning.

The news comes as another French tourist is feared to have died in the deadly fire at Tiger Discotheque on Soi Bangla, Patong, that claimed four lives early Friday morning.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/French-tourist-dies-snorkeling-in-Phi-Phi-speedboat-accident-16704.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-20

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been diving a lot in phuket area , speed boats driver have no respect for snorkelers or divers ....and of course one more time he fled the scene ... are they all like this ? a bunch of cowards ? RIP Mr french ..... nobody deserve to die like this .

Dont get me wrong here, I am appalled that this has happened and may he rest in peace.

I send my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

However the position of the driver of these speedboats may have something to do with these types of accidents.

From where he is sitting, he cant see what is directly in front of him.

At least 10-15 meter in front of the boat is a blind angle.

Theoretically he could have thought he was now well out of any danger zone and then sped up.

The roar of the 750 hp engines on the back would have drowned out any cries.

Should he have someone in the front of the boat watching the blind angle - yes by all means.

I dont know if its required by any law, but certainly the companies operating these speedboats should enforce having a lookout when maneuvering in shallow water.

Or maybe the design of these boat need to change slightly, to allow better overall vision for the driver.

• Like 1

been diving a lot in phuket area , speed boats driver have no respect for snorkelers or divers ....and of course one more time he fled the scene ... are they all like this ? a bunch of cowards ? RIP Mr french ..... nobody deserve to die like this .

Hi. Been member around 3 yrs and this is the first time I have posted so hello to the regs. I live in Khon Kaen with my lovely wife of 4yrs and spend a lot of breaks down Pattaya. The speed boat guys are drain dead shits it is the same off the Pattaya beach and Jomtien they come so close to the shore, I have offten screamed at them when week ends there are a lot of children and the boat guys just stick their finger up. For snookelers own safety they shoul buy a gas bloon to tie around their glasses. So sorry for the guy.

• Like 1

Why don't they put out buoys so that people know this certain area is for snorkeling only. This certain area is for speedboats to come and go. It's no big deal really ?

That would involve taking the initiative, logical thinking, long-term service mindedness, additional costs, etc etc on the part of those involved. A short-term show with knee-jerk crackdown is so much easier.

RIP Olivier Jannequin

• Like 2

Im also a regular Snorkeller in Pattaya and Phi Phi , last time I was thinking exactly about how easily an " Accident " could occur , for these guys have no way of seeing a diver and they always love to drive at a " Flat out " speed .RIP , its just a terrible way to loose your life in Paradise , the suggestion of Buoys and a more controlled enviroment , including Speed limitation would be a good idea . As someone else said , it actually is suprising it doesn't happen more often , and its really Horrendous that he just drove off ...Somebody on that speedboat would almost certainly have known .

RIP Mr French ..a horrible way to go .

My experience of sailing on both the east and west coasts here is that these speedboats are clumsily built, difficult to manoeuvre, overpowered and driven by idiots.

A recipe for disaster rhat willnot change whilst theres money to be made.

• Like 1

RIP guys Tiger disco victims and snorkelers, Thailand is a death trap on many occassions and the sad thing the authorities "act" as they care but they actually do not care one bit. Why do I know that, my FIL is a copper so I am acquainted with many of them and know their attitude very well.

Hi. Been member around 3 yrs and this is the first time I have posted so hello to the regs. I live in Khon Kaen with my lovely wife of 4yrs and spend a lot of breaks down Pattaya. The speed boat guys are drain dead shits it is the same off the Pattaya beach and Jomtien they come so close to the shore, I have offten screamed at them when week ends there are a lot of children and the boat guys just stick their finger up. For snookelers own safety they shoul buy a gas bloon to tie around their glasses. So sorry for the guy.

They will never find him!... The police are so corrupt...they can only smell money and if they do find him by aid of the expats or locals...they will put him on a "2cent" bail and let him go. What I find funny... are these people licensed to drive boats or their children just having a spin... ignorant father!!!!

The "infamous hit and run", is so common in Thailand. Why will the Thai men not take responsibility for their actions? Many Thai women tell me stories, after stories of how incredibly weak Thai men are. They sire children, then leave, without any willingness to pay any support to their children. They cause accidents, and then flee from the scene of the crime. They steal, and then when caught they no nothing of the crime. They kill, and then they flee the scene. The cause traffic accidents, due to their lack of driving skills, and flee the scene, instead of taking responsibility. Where is the sense of accountability in this nation? The women seem far more willing to take responsibility for their actions, and in general, seem to be far superior to their male counterparts, in terms of social responsibility, ethics, morality, etc. Am I wrong on this one, or am I seeing things clearly?

Because the majority of Thai men are spoilt pampered little brats who get away with anything when they are children so they grow up thinking they can get away with everything when adults.Mind you I use the term adult very loosely as most of them have the maturity of a 5 year old.

• Like 2

Why don't they put out buoys so that people know this certain area is for snorkeling only. This certain area is for speedboats to come and go. It's no big deal really ?

The best answer yet!....This system has been used in Australia for decades.

The "infamous hit and run", is so common in Thailand. Why will the Thai men not take responsibility for their actions? Many Thai women tell me stories, after stories of how incredibly weak Thai men are. They sire children, then leave, without any willingness to pay any support to their children. They cause accidents, and then flee from the scene of the crime. They steal, and then when caught they no nothing of the crime. They kill, and then they flee the scene. The cause traffic accidents, due to their lack of driving skills, and flee the scene, instead of taking responsibility. Where is the sense of accountability in this nation? The women seem far more willing to take responsibility for their actions, and in general, seem to be far superior to their male counterparts, in terms of social responsibility, ethics, morality, etc. Am I wrong on this one, or am I seeing things clearly?

Been here 17 year off and on and I have to say you are correct, except the women are also same. Women drop the kids off at moms house and go about their lives. It's a Thai thing and is about looking out for number 1...live for the moment. Sad to hear about anyone who has an accident like this RIP.
  • Like 2

Dont get me wrong here, I am appalled that this has happened and may he rest in peace.

I send my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

However the position of the driver of these speedboats may have something to do with these types of accidents.

From where he is sitting, he cant see what is directly in front of him.

At least 10-15 meter in front of the boat is a blind angle.

Theoretically he could have thought he was now well out of any danger zone and then sped up.

The roar of the 750 hp engines on the back would have drowned out any cries.

Should he have someone in the front of the boat watching the blind angle - yes by all means.

I dont know if its required by any law, but certainly the companies operating these speedboats should enforce having a lookout when maneuvering in shallow water.

Or maybe the design of these boat need to change slightly, to allow better overall vision for the driver.

Good post.

Another tourist die in Phuket? When the Embassies will publish advisories so that the local authorities are forced to apply the law. Tourist are dying more in Phuket than in any place in the world including Irak or Afganistan (1 French soldier died in Afganistan this last 5 years and it made the top news).

(Nikko at http://fb/gopattaya)

Edited by nikkoid66

Another tourist die in Phuket?

No, not on Phuket.

Regarding the suggested roped of snorkeling areas: I'm afraid that won't work at these sites. The people go snorkeling of the boats, so that would mean the tourists would have to make their way from the roped of area from the boat and back. These roped of areas would work at the beaches where there is far less boat traffic, but at the Phi Phi beaches with many boats arriving and departing all day long and many sightseeers this will not work.

Edited by stevenl

RIP Olivier!

Speedboats and longtails are the biggest danger for divers; even when using SMBs (safety condoms). I have experienced that longtails drivers use the SMBs as targets!!!! This is the same as attempted MURDER!

BUT they are Thai and we are just Farang, so everybody knows what happens next..... NOTHING!

They are brain dead <deleted> because they are employed or owned by the mafia they do what they like have been diving off pattaya and some of the islands had the same problem even with a diving buoy they are ignorant careless disrepectful fn b's sorry for the expletives but it makes me so mad I've had to shout at them so many times it runs off them like water off a duck. here in Thailand all they care about is money sadly thats the way it is that poor french man will be just another statistic R.I.P CONDOLENCES to his family and friends. WAKE UP THAI TOURIST BOARD DO SOMETHING BEFORE YOU HAVE NO TOURISTS LEFT.

Another unnecessary death by a stupid arrogant person with no understanding or respect to other people around him, I once witnessed a jet ski operator hit a man on the head in Pattaya just a few metres from the beach it was shocking he was just coming into the beach flat out and completely ignored all the swimmers. My sincere condolences to Mr Jannequin’s family and friends and may he R.I.P

The best answer yet!....This system has been used in Australia for decades.

Are not Diving flags required when snorkling? Do not Divers here required to use them?? Should it not also be a requirement for snorklers, as their head is below water also... Thus sometime as they go deep as the coral... Divers need to have License, but how about making it a requirement if Snorkling you must have floatation "Diver in Area" Flag. Not using one would constitute Fine "Big Fine"! and hve Beach Posted with Signs 5-10 meter from waters edge!! Common Sense!

Absolutely right, a completely avoidable death.

u r correct ...up near chiang rai recently a german lady tells me that the bus hit a woman .there was lots of blood and at first they thought she had died ...but was very lucky .....the driver just pissed off and ran back down the road ..its very common. tit and it really is AMAZING >>>>>>>>>>>>