Food Hawkers To Stop On February 2nd.

12call

This reminds me of Thaksin's edict to farmers to stop raising chickens on small Ma-and-Pa Kettle plots up and down the land.

For the government to tell farmers to stop raising chickens in the backyard is to tell them to stop raising their families in a manner they and thousands of others across Asia have been doing for thousands of years.

But, hey, nothing is beyond Boss Thaksin, right?

During the May 1992 uprising, the students got to Victory Monument first, the food vendors ran a close second, and the army a bad third. I don't think that it's a threatened Industry at all.

I think you'll find that's because the army were rather busy "disposing" of demonstrators in the Democracy Monument area at the time.

During the May 1992 uprising, the students got to Victory Monument first, the food vendors ran a close second, and the army a bad third. I don't think that it's a threatened Industry at all.

I think you'll find that's because the army were rather busy "disposing" of demonstrators in the Democracy Monument area at the time.

That was a little bit later

Clampdown prompts outcry from vendors

The city administration is getting tough with street vendors.

BANGKOK: They are now strictly banned from any area within 50 metres of a bus stop, pedestrian walkway, zebra crossing, pavement along a railway line or local road, as well as from all areas where pedestrians frequently complain about vendors blocking their path.

A clampdown, ordered by Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej, began yesterday, prompting an outcry from affected vendors.

Some protesting vendors showed up at city hall yesterday, saying they would not move their stalls elsewhere.

Deputy city clerk Pongsak Semsan said after meeting the protesters that the city would review its operation against illegal street vendors. However, the ban taking effect in the designated areas would stay. The city would make a final decision today, he added.

Of about 50,000 street vendors scattered around Bangkok, only 15,000 have been allowed to do their trade in 267 spots provided by the city, he said.

--The Post 2004-02-03

500 street vendors protest against ban

BANGKOK: Five hundred street vendors gathered yesterday outside Bangkok City Hall to protest the enforcement of what they said was an unfair ban on street sales.

The vendors from Wattana, Klong Toei and Rat Burana districts said they each paid Bt300 a month to their respective districts and Bt500 per month to the municipal police.

The ban, which took effect yesterday, imposes a Bt2,000 fine on vendors who sell goods on roads, footpaths and in public places.

They questioned why only certain districts imposed the ban and not all of Bangkok's districts.

The director of Wattana district, Surakiat Limcharoen, said his district enforced the ban because the vendors dirtied the streets and blocked the footpaths for pedestrians.

Some vendors dispersed after Surakiat told them that he would allow them to continue selling if they came to see him at his office.

"I am embarrassed that there are vendors from the district I am responsible for, coming to protest here. If you come to talk with me at my office, I promise I will allow you to sell," he said.

However, some protesters remained at city hall demanding that he write that promise on paper in order to show it to the municipal police.

Wattana district police chief Chavalit Maneenak told the vendors to suspend selling until the district made a decision about the conditions under which they could trade.

"If you defy the ban and bring your goods onto the streets, I will have to fine you," he said.

One of the protesting traders, Samrit Chomkamsri, said he was upset and questioned whether any officials had pocketed the fines from traders. "We do not get receipts from the district whenever the local police seize our goods," he said.

He also questioned why street vendors in areas such as Victory Monument and Yaowaraj (Chinatown) were allowed to sell even though they also blocked footpaths and made the streets dirty.

"I wonder if they only allow rich vendors," he said.

Bang Rak district councillor Pipat Lapprattana said the street vendor problem would have to be managed with zoning and laws otherwise the problem would remain.

--The Nation 2004-02-03

And so they should (get rid of them) Footpaths are for walking on, they are there for pedestrians, and not bloody halkers and motorcycles etc.

If there are no stalls the nations finest would not be able to demand their backhanders.

Doesn't matter where you go in Thailand the ignorant pricks park their bikes and stalls all over the footpaths preventing people from walking on them and forcing them on to the roadway.

Thailand will never (ever) lose it's 3rd world status if it doesn't start to enforce some of the existing laws.

One could go on ad infinitum i.e. traffic laws, tax, and so on.

Once again it is all about enforcement and management, or the lack there of, isn't it?

If the officers responsible for alloting the spaces and keeping track of the vendors were as concerned in the past with enforcing the regulations, making sure that people were in sensible areas and had dealt with the vendors individually in the past, rather than to just take their money, things may not have gotten to this point.

Thais have always been willing to pay tea money and put up with abuses toward them if they are allowed to conduct the trade that they have invested in, its all part of the program and figured in from day one. If when taking the payments the officers had made certain that everyone was in an appropriate place and was maintaining their area daily I do not believe it would have gotten so out of hand. But I am sure that they have allowed vendors into areas of question for the simple fact that they will have more of them to shake down and more revenue as a result.

I fully understand not wanting vendors near certain areas and I myself get quite frustrated when walking the streets at times, but I feel if handled correctly it can be done.

I have spent my life working in 5 star kitchens and I can tell you that the sanitation measures employed by many vendors are equal too or exceed those of the establishment. They operate in plain view and must maitain a certain level of professionalism. Those who don't simply do not get the trade like those who do and are forced out of business.

If this crackdown continues I will surely miss them. I moved to Phrakanong district a few years back and one of the considerations of my moving here was the abundance of vendors in the neighborhood. After spending my days in high-end hotel and restautrant facilities I truly enjoy a nice light Khow Man-gai or a pan-fresh Phad Thai and a crispy Hoy Tort. A sticky Lad Na and the ever fattening Khow Kaa Moo, too. :D Don't you?

There have been volumes of travel books dedicated to the street vendors of Thailand and they are one reason people come here for holiday. Surely there is a happy medium.

And, last but not least, what about all the Thais livng on megear salaries, with no cooking facilities in thier tiny rooms? What will they eat three times a day? Mama noodles? What about the markets and farmers? What of the landlords and equipment manufacturers. As always the scope of things gets larger as you start to really examine it.

And, last but not least, what about the culture? :o

mtnthai

ps- Oh, and one last thing. Who will the villans and police crash into during the ubiquitous chase scenes in the movies? No chickens flying, no oranges to slip on and no fat mamas to jostle about. Shameful state of affairs that would be. Talk about a loss of culture.

I thought the PM was going to tell us how many people were killed during the War on Drugs(1 year ago this week).

I also thought that the KING requested this info in his December 5th Speech.

It'll be a matter of national security, and thus, the information is unable to be shared with others. :o

How is my six-year-old daughter to get her crunchy grass-hopper snacks, if the street hawkers are banned?

7-Eleven. May be they will start the business with crispy roaches and grasshoppers. Really - the street hawkers are one part of Thailand charm - even if they are sometimes nuisance