Social Atmosphere

Trevor72

Hello,

I've recently started thinking about Thailand as a possible long-term or permanent destination. Among many things, I'm wondering what the people are like there? About the only experience I have with foreign women are one's from the Philippines (really like Asian women). I'm figuring that the Phil's is like the Mexico of Asia, so to speak. In other words, there are probably some really great places with a price, but overall it's pretty poor. People looking for employment elsewhere and such. One thing, the Filipina's are awesome women! I know this is largely 'cos ppl from the US and other "unstanding" nations are seen as a ticket out of poverty. What about Thailand, though? How does it sit with you all? I'd also like to know about the expat community. From what little I've heard, it sounds a bit like a haven for ex-offenders (no offense as I'm a minor one myself). But overall, what's the social atmosphere like? How well do you rate it in comparison to your home country. I'd like to hear some contrast between them and us. People and culture.

The first thing you have to bear in mind is that it's never been colonised by the west so, unlike the Philippines, the mindset is very different. If you like visiting places that seem slightly surreal then Thailand is for you. If you expect everything to be the same as home except for the yellow smiley faces you're going to be very unhappy.

The first thing you have to bear in mind is that it's never been colonised by the west so, unlike the Philippines, the mindset is very different. If you like visiting places that seem slightly surreal then Thailand is for you. If you expect everything to be the same as home except for the yellow smiley faces you're going to be very unhappy.

I think you credit the Americans with remarkable powers of influence, not to mention the French.

We are lucky that so many countries adopted, at least in outward appearance the common sense principles to which they were exposed, but the lack of imperialism was really but a small hindrance to Thailand

SC

Thailand has been and will continue to be the place that I now call home. Everything here is not perfect but is such that I am happy to call it now home. Coming from the states, this country has allowed me to live a much slower life style. That said, the thing for me is that the Thai's are now striving to live the lifestyle of the west. I think that Thailand's king got it right. People need to learn to live in a self sufficient way. Personally I do not think that will happen.

Trevor,

Plenty of women here looking for an expat to find a way out of poverty too.

If you've never been to Thailand then i suggest you come over for a holiday first and

travel around to see for yourself.

Plenty of expats in the tourist areas together with western home comforts.

Many Thais will welcome you with a smile but many expats don't believe them as genuine smiles.

Obviously you can be your own judge on that when your here.

You need a good holiday there first Trev then make up your own mind. Each to their own. As for social scene theres probably some of the best in the world. Thais love a party. Spend some time in a few major areas as they are all different then see how you feel.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Just to clarify with the first post: I'm not really the type who see's women just for fun. I've met so many Philippina's that have been done poorly and it's really solidified my mindset to find a devoted wife and be devoted to her also. No sense in leaving a trail of ill will and bad karma. Yeah, I guess I'll agree that I'd just have to see it myself.

Thanks again.

I think you credit the Americans with remarkable powers of influence, not to mention the French.

We are lucky that so many countries adopted, at least in outward appearance the common sense principles to which they were exposed, but the lack of imperialism was really but a small hindrance to Thailand

SC

The American influence in the Philippines was small until in 1902 the US changed from a .38 to a .45.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Just to clarify with the first post: I'm not really the type who see's women just for fun. I've met so many Philippina's that have been done poorly and it's really solidified my mindset to find a devoted wife and be devoted to her also. No sense in leaving a trail of ill will and bad karma. Yeah, I guess I'll agree that I'd just have to see it myself.

Thanks again.

I think you will find out that the members of Thai Visa only rarely do women poorly. Thai Visa has a wealth of information for the Thai newcomer. Currently the hot thread is "Can coming to Thailand make you bisexual" 470 posts in a day or so, this is obviously a major concern for many if not most posters here. Good luck of course.