Windows 7 System Repair Disk

SunSeek01

This has probably been posted before, but the Windows 7 System Repair Disk saved my butt today. Woke up Sunday and the laptop had the power cord slightly pulled out of the power strip. I think it was downloading upgrades and the battery finally quit but of course I didn't know it.

I think AVG may have done something wrong too, not sure.

Anyway, could not boot up, just went to a repair screen and would not repair or do anything at all. So I made a System Repair Disk on my GF's laptop. What I did not realize mattered is, her's is AMD, mine Intel. It would boot to the Recovery CD but would not repair, however I could get to a command prompt and probably managed to do some more damage, trying various things related to classpnp.sys and trying to remove some AVG files. Nothing.

So finally I figured out the AMD/Intel problem (this was 64). But no Intel box available! Went to 2 Net shops last night, could not explain right and they didn't have Intel/7/64 anyway. So I was reduced to downloading the Intel/7/64 System Recovery Disk from Torrents over night .

So I wake up today, burn the .iso (had bought 3 CD's last night at 7/11, 39 baht). Boot it up and click to the repair and crossed my fingers. Took about 15 minutes, then it said it might be fixed, reboot and find out!

So I reboot, and it finally came up! I had made a restore point a couple weeks ago so I'm not sure if it used that or not. I did have to download again about 15 updates. Then I uninstalled AVG and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

Anyway, my point is, grab a blank CD (not need to be DVD), go to control panel\security, and make yourself a System Repair Disk. If you make it on your own PC, it's going to work if possible. I read it does not always work but my laptop was pretty borked up and it worked for me. I did do a disk check/repair with a Hirens DVD and it found 16 bad blocks but I don't think that factored in.

You know you can always re-install Win 7 over your old install, it will put your files in a Folder named Windows.Old, but you lose your old OS install, like all your programs, so saving your old install is much better,

Here is the path/steps to get to it - Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore\Create a system repair disk

MJCM, I am going to look at Macrium. I used to use Paragon Backup Free but since my last laptop around a year ago, it's not working so well. Tried Macrium Free once and it would not complete. I better try again. The image method (both use) is the best insurance. Most of my data is on a D drive or external but I still have alot of stuff on my desktop, plus like I said before, all the programs, the install, the favorites and all that stuff.

Big 10-4 on having a System Recovery Disk and a Disk Image Backup....sooner or later a person's computer/hard drive fails or corrupts and having a System Recovery Disk with Disk Backup should can help keep reduce the blood pressure and cussing. Now, if I can just get in the habit of doing a monthly backup versus every six months or so.

Big 10-4 on having a System Recovery Disk and a Disk Image Backup....sooner or later a person's computer/hard drive fails or corrupts and having a System Recovery Disk with Disk Backup should can help keep reduce the blood pressure and cussing. Now, if I can just get in the habit of doing a monthly backup versus every six months or so.

According to the Macrium website, you can schedule those backups, even with the free version.

According to the Macrium website, you can schedule those backups, even with the free version.

Yea, but I have to get off my butt, go find my external USB drive I use for backup, and backup both my laptops--that takes effort. tongue.png Plus, I don't use backup software like Macrium; just the Windows built-in disk backup function.