Thaksin Ends Visit, U.S. On Defensive

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

It is political, only in the sense that he was in office when he committed a crime that wasn't about politics, just money. He must feel like an idiot sometimes, his greed cost him his "face"

Absolutely correct. He hides behind this "political" facade, but the truth is, he is a criminal.

He says he wants to show that he can go anywhere except Thailand. The truth on that point is that he can come to Thailand, no-one is stopping him ... but he has to accept that he will be arrested and imprisoned as soon as he lands here.

If by some freak government decision, he isn't arrested, then I'm afraid this government will have to take full responsibility for the political turmoil, perhaps indeed, civil war, that will ensue...!!

I am neither for or against Thaksin. I think you are being too harsh on him for the financial gains. Let's not forget that during his reign, farangs have a much easier time renewing their visa, e.g. crossing borders gives you one month visas and there is no limit to any amount of times you go! Now, you can do it only 3 to 4 times & you get only 15 days each time (MEAN). Registering & maintaining a farangs' company now costs more and is more restricted with the 4 staffs requirements! During Thaksin everything was easy for farangs! I don't know why the idiots are still persecuting him for something which every government in the world is doing! Making financial gains for themselves.

Dudes, give him a break!

You're joking, right???!

A good reason for the US to withdraw the Visas of those people who obviously do not realize that they are guests and should not harass other foreigners. The problem with the Thai elite is that they behave also abroad as if the foreign country in theirs. Book a few flights and send the yellow gang home. When the Thai yellows had grabbed power they did the same, anyone with a different opinion was blacklisted including lawyers like Robert amsterdam. So there should be no backlash at all, just apply their own rules.

Much better to let the hosts remain in ignorance of additional information (could we refer to 'facts'?) about their guest who (mis)uses the host's media to further his 'poor me' cause.

Ignorance is bliss?

ASTV reports that the US authorities also became concerned about possible repercussions of his visit, so much so he was advised to keep a low profile and quietly leave the country. The reports could not be verified.

But, let's run it anyway!

It's not at all unusual for news organizations to report on what's being speculated ... that too is news. However, the press should well stipulate that it is indeed speculation ... which this article did (as you quoted yourself).

Let's also remember that the various red / udd TV channels, DVDs distributed en masse, magazines etc etc., contain many blatant lies and mistruths, and many messages intended to build hate, and they have continued to play doctored tapes again and again, tapes which were doctored to make abhisit look like a monster, and continued to be played years after it has been stated officially that the tapes are doctored.

Edited by scorecard

Other than him getting in the USA to begin with,

the trip was a diaster and the likelihood of getting another entrance is dim at best.

No amount of Fanboy spin can change that fact, and pretenses of the high road

and attempts to spin it to other points, doesn't paper over the PR crash n burn.

It was a diplomatic Cluster Schtup and no mistaking.

Edited by animatic