How Long Did It Take You To Adjust To The Weather?

NomadicDave

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It depends where and when. In Bangkok in December I already woke up with less 25 C outside so it is pretty enjoyable weather wherever you come from. But even after 15 years I still suffer in May.

In other parts of Thailand, it also depends of the season.

Never. The weather here is awful. The only people that seem to like the weather here are usually from god forsaken places where frozen water falls from the sky. Since you're from California the weather will be worse than home 365 days a year.

Absolutely right! I gave up years ago waiting to be adjusted to this, apart from December/January it is a pretty unpleasant climate, Houston by the sea.

• Like 1

One thing you learn to do is to walk slower.

When I first came here I was up the BTS stairs 2 at a time ... I soon learnt.

For me the adjust period is usually 10 days - 2 weeks ... longer in Summer, less in December and the like.

Though, like most here, find it difficult to sleep at night in Summer without the Air-con on.

I come from a similar climate as you in Australia.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I was lucky. I came from the top of Australia where there is has very high humidity. When the tempature dropped below 20C we thought is was feezing. When I was travelling to and from Phuket I found the climate in Phuket great. Now living up north I find I get cold in the winter.

Edited by ripstanley

About a year before I stopped sweating almost 24/7, maybe because as someone said I slowed down to Thai speed when walking. Don't know if it's an age thing or the well argued Global Warming, but over the past few years I am starting to feel the heat again.

Has anyone else noticed that it can take a long time for us to get comfortable in the heat but it only takes a Thai person about a week with air-con for the first time to get to totally hooked on it.

First time I got here it took a month. I chose a non air conditioned office and slept without an ac. After a month I was fine.

The next time it seemed to take forever. I would wake up in a pool of sweat in the middle of the night with no air con on. Of course the first time I was in my 20's and the next time; this last time I was in my 50's.

Im always hot there and worst was building a house in April, but Ive been back in the Uk for 3 months and everyone is saying "isnt it hot and stuffy today (25c) and to be honest ever since coming back Ive been cold.

Thankfully ( i think) Im back October for 18 months.

I never adjusted to the weather. I adjusted to feeling hot and sweaty all the time.

Come on, December and January is freezing. smiley-gen125.gif

It took me about 2 years to get acclimated to the weather.

Edited by Semper

I`m not sure but less than a year.

From the UK, used to hate the cold winter weather and prefer it here in Thailand.

April thru June can sometimes feel a little too hot other than that, fine.

I never adjusted to the weather. I adjusted to feeling hot and sweaty all the time.

Come on, December and January is freezing. smiley-gen125.gif

It took me about 2 years to get acclimated to the weather.

Ok, fair enough: "..with the exception of December and January in Chiang Mai." (And also last night, which was pretty cold due to the rain; had to turn off even the ceiling fan.)

When I’d a couple of fish farms outside Minburi [Nong Chok] 25 years ago, no problem at all, just a fan at night time, planted a lot of trees around each pond, for 4 years did fish-farming there [ got fed up with the Muslim ppl there] – even bought the most power air-rifle available in Thailand wt scope, any near ponds, and the motorcycle gang will get a nasty surprise, heat was no problem even during summer.

Now @ UT suburb can’t live without air 25 C & a fan combo, whenever I are home, sex business are mostly carried out in cooler climate, outside my Thai wife home.

The weather was one reasons I came here, never use air con......... well only in the car climate control set at 24

Do find it odd most Thais in the Village sleep with air con switched on, besides my house there are a couple of old Thais that also sleep with windows open only

Coming from Northern Europe I'm glad to leave the cold behind and I never moan about it being too hot here. No Aircon in our house, just contra-rotating wall fans that provide enough fresh air. I think if people go down the Aircon route too easily it just makes them more uncomfortable the minute they are out of it. One of our neighbours comes from Belgium and he's got the Aircon on 24/7. He rarely goes out and when I go inside his house it's like being in a fridge. You can't adjust to a hot climate if you live like that.

• Like 2

Coming from Northern Europe I'm glad to leave the cold behind and I never moan about it being too hot here. No Aircon in our house, just contra-rotating wall fans that provide enough fresh air. I think if people go down the Aircon route too easily it just makes them more uncomfortable the minute they are out of it. One of our neighbours comes from Belgium and he's got the Aircon on 24/7. He rarely goes out and when I go inside his house it's like being in a fridge. You can't adjust to a hot climate if you live like that.

My neighbour (Thai) use his aircon 24/7/365, I use mine 2 month/year. blink.png

• Like 1

I don't use aircon at home, shower with cold water, and travel to work on a fan bus. I rarely sweat or feel uncomfortable. My office is air-con, which is nice, but if I had the air con on at home then I'd be sweating a lot more. It is the extremes of temps that make it tough.

Imagine what it must of been like living in this country before the electric fan?

Also from California, count me as another data point for never. In Thailand I lived in air conditioning for years. I also lived without any air conditioning at all for years. I never acclimated. The so-called cool months like December are a myth to me because the temperature still often tops 90 degrees which is hot no matter how many days I experience it. I tried all the remedies and nothing helped. Living in air conditioning was the better of the two. Not only more comfortable but it seals out bugs, noise, and pollution which are problematic in Thailand.

Then I found a place where California weather exists in Thailand. I wouldn't have believed it had someone told me second hand. I moved there and have been happy with the pleasant weather ever since. I even needed to buy a light jacket for cool days when it gets down to breezy, 60 degree temps just like California.

Another myth to be aware of is cool weather is in the north. The north is hot and sees its share of 100+ degree weather. The key to finding cool weather is very high altitudes. I found an equation that typically every 220 meters of altitude decreases temperature 1° celsius.