How Long Did It Take You To Adjust To The Weather?

NomadicDave

As said depends largely where you are. I dont think I have ever "adjusted" just learned to cope with it. Without the A/c I would be in trouble and definitely couldnt sleep.

I built a nice big patio when I built the house, very nieve and in my early days of bright eyed excitement of living here, was never ever able to use it, too bloody hot, couldnt sit out there more than 10 minutes, soon built a roof over it, installed some fans and made it a usable area again.

Same could be said for the big garden, but cant enjoy that really either during the day, too dam_n hot to go out there too, but nice to look at from the now shaded patio.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As said depends largely where you are. I dont think I have ever "adjusted" just learned to cope with it. Without the A/c I would be in trouble and definitely couldnt sleep.

I built a nice big patio when I built the house, very nieve and in my early days of bright eyed excitement of living here, was never ever able to use it, too bloody hot, couldnt sit out there more than 10 minutes, soon built a roof over it, installed some fans and made it a usable area again.

Same could be said for the big garden, but cant enjoy that really either during the day, too dam_n hot to go out there too, but nice to look at from the now shaded patio.

I bought a pint glass for my beer. Mai dee. laugh.png
  • Like 1

Exactly - it depends on where you live in Thailand.

I always used to love the sun, and now avoid it like the plague laugh.png ! But, I am (sort of) adjusting.

Whereas I can remember posting a couple of years back that I could not sleep without a/c, nowadays I can do without it as long as I leave all the windows/balcony door open and have a fan blowing at me.

Incidentally, I have also noticed that those expats who have lived here (or in tropical climes) donkeys' years and claim they have adapted - sweat just as much as me! As another poster said a while ago, we get used to sweating....

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 1

As a fellow Californian, I do not think you ever adjust to the humidity. But I noticed, as I was standing on the BTS platform in Silom, sweating like a dog in a Korean restaurant, I just stopped thinking about it. I think our genetics never change, but our minds can change. You will never stop sweating, but you will eventually stop thinking about it.

Keep in mind diet plays a part in all this. The Japanese, Chinese, and many other cultures are well aware of this, but the Thais do not seem to know much about it, and it is a foreign concept for many westerners. I find the less meat I consume, during the really hot months, the cooler my body seems to run. Fish, and a little bit of chicken seem to be ok, but beef, pork, and lamb cause the body to run very warm. Perhaps it is the alkalinity, or the yin and yang, or just the added energy needed for digestion? Also, avoid sugar.

I never adjusted to the weather. I adjusted to feeling hot and sweaty all the time.

Come on, December and January is freezing. smiley-gen125.gif

It took me about 2 years to get acclimated to the weather.

100% correct, in the UK. Thats why I'm here.

No AC on, just door to balcony open with fan on now. Looking at storm clouds gathering over Patong Bay.

Last night at massage I asked to close the fan as I was "cold". Sleep with ac set to 24-25. I learnt a trick from bedmate, no need for blanket if ac not low. D-oh.

However, I cannot adjust to the humidity. I hate it. Heat no prob, but humidity zaps me.