Dukes Express Chiang Mai?

CNXTim

Dukes Express is/was on Moon Muang and it seems a similar fate has occurred to the Dukes Express in Bangkok so the "planning permission" excuse sounds decidedly questionable.

Does anyone know what actually happened? What about the guy (American?) who anted up the money for the franchise?

Whatever, it is a pity because the burgers were superior to any of the other fast food places around Chiang Mai.

Woodys the kebab joint that mostly served happy campers rolling out of the old Spicey has also gone...

Dukes Express is/was on Moon Muang and it seems a similar fate has occurred to the Dukes Express in Bangkok so the "planning permission" excuse sounds decidedly questionable.

Does anyone know what actually happened? What about the guy (American?) who anted up the money for the franchise?

Whatever, it is a pity because the burgers were superior to any of the other fast food places around Chiang Mai.

Woodys the kebab joint that mostly served happy campers rolling out of the old Spicey has also gone...

What is the "planning permission" excuse?

re .. Does "Duke's Express" refer to the Duke's burger joint on Moon Muang Rd across from Mikes?

yes ... and its been closed since the 27th of july and never opend again

the little greeter man now works days at mikes burgers loi kroh road and he told me the

boss had a problem in america that he had to go and sort and he might come back and open

up again but he didnt know when

best burger and fries in chiang mai RIP ... dave2

post-42592-0-77203100-1345545651_thumb.j

post-42592-0-49208000-1345545705_thumb.j

post-42592-0-54077800-1345545969_thumb.j

This was no wanna be Dukes joint. The Burgers were exactly the same as The Duke's, only cheaper. They also had a special where they throw in a free lemonade or sweet tea with free refills.

Gotta hand it to you.

For a newcomer you hit the nail on the head. All the franchise Dukes did was cook the hamburgers and fries that had been prepared at the Dukes on the river.

This was no wanna be Dukes joint. The Burgers were exactly the same as The Duke's, only cheaper. They also had a special where they throw in a free lemonade or sweet tea with free refills.

Gotta hand it to you.

For a newcomer you hit the nail on the head. All the franchise Dukes did was cook the hamburgers and fries that had been prepared at the Dukes on the river.

Dolly,

You keep calling posters "newcomers".... How long have you been here?

MSPain

The burger situation seems to be getting critical, no mo woodies, dukes exp. and worst of all and sadly, Gypsies grill is closed, I heard he is having more health problems. The Riva has a new grill and pizza oven across from original Mikes grease pit, any reviews? ...... (dave2 maybe has a photo)

Salient point might well have to do with profitability. Such food is interesting to some of us expats some of the time; bursting tourism would support 'burger joints, and our tourist trade ain't burgeoning.

It's funny how all these business's only seem to close when the owner has health problems or is going back to his/hers home country.

Do you sell or close a profitable business? I think not.

All these business are just losing money and some are smart enough to get out quick, others will still hang on toss away good money on a loosing business venture.

You see it everyday in and outside of town.

• Like 1

Salient point might well have to do with profitability. Such food is interesting to some of us expats some of the time; bursting tourism would support 'burger joints, and our tourist trade ain't burgeoning.

Having 5 burger places and 2 Mexican restaurants around one intersection probably did not help matters.

Having 5 burger places and 2 Mexican restaurants around one intersection probably did not help matters.

Good point and probably the reason for the demise of these places.

re . (dave2 maybe has a photo)

now would i ? : )

the new front bit seems to be set up as some sort off grill that opens daytimes and the bigger

bit next door with the music opens nights but ive never been in either

dave2

ps .. i hope your right about the river dukes burgers being the same coz ive left

three ( permenently ) of my regular eating places in the last month coz of loud music

in one . a screaming kid in another and chicken that had been cooked twice and

was rock hard in another one so i need to find some new places to eat

post-42592-0-28454000-1345605836_thumb.j

post-42592-0-85636200-1345606145_thumb.j

It's funny how all these business's only seem to close when the owner has health problems or is going back to his/hers home country.

Do you sell or close a profitable business? I think not.

All these business are just losing money and some are smart enough to get out quick, others will still hang on toss away good money on a loosing business venture.

You see it everyday in and outside of town.

business' failures are mainly due to poor management/ownership. You need 3yrs to even see some return in investment generally (for new business). Those first years, money is spent on advertising, marketing, and genrally building a clientele. A lot of money invested in equipment and furnishings has a slow rate of payback............

......then the owners decide after half a year nothing is doing, then panic, maybe get stressed, bringing on ill health on the way.

i wouldnt say they were losing money perse just slowly recouping....and if they get to a panic situation in less than 2yrs then they shouldnt have been stupid enough to dream they could easily run a succesful business.

There are many succesful business guys here, I bet all of them say it takes years and years to establish yourself, get your name out there, both needing patience, drive and determination for success.

fly by night business men are clueless from the start........(says me 1yr in, still eating from a food cart but determined not to fail so I can enjoy the spoils of the riverside restaurants)

What's the problem? Just go to the Dukes for your burger. Same (better IMHO) burgers and much more comfortable there.

Is the one in Phitsanulok gone too?

Because the normal Dukes is not open at 1 or 2 AM, whereas the Dukes Burger joint was. Great option for late night food after a night out on the town. Also for those of us who like late night dinner options after getting stuck on work related conference calls.

-Mestizo

business' failures are mainly due to poor management/ownership. You need 3yrs to even see some return in investment generally (for new business). Those first years, money is spent on advertising, marketing, and genrally building a clientele. A lot of money invested in equipment and furnishings has a slow rate of payback............

......then the owners decide after half a year nothing is doing, then panic, maybe get stressed, bringing on ill health on the way.

i wouldnt say they were losing money perse just slowly recouping....and if they get to a panic situation in less than 2yrs    then they shouldnt have been stupid enough to dream they could easily run a succesful business.

There are many succesful business guys here, I bet all of them say it takes years and years to establish yourself, get your name out there, both needing patience, drive and determination for success.

fly by night business men are clueless from the start........(says me 1yr in, still eating from a food cart but determined not to fail so I can enjoy the spoils of the riverside restaurants)

A very poignant explanation. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

What's the problem? Just go to the Dukes for your burger. Same (better IMHO) burgers and much more comfortable there.

Is the one in Phitsanulok gone too?

Because the normal Dukes is not open at 1 or 2 AM, whereas the Dukes Burger joint was. Great option for late night food after a night out on the town. Also for those of us who like late night dinner options after getting stuck on work related conference calls.

-Mestizo

You are right. I forgot about that.

Well the thread is about the Dukes small outlet for hamburgers and hot dogs on the moat.

I just want to put in a plug for the Burger Queen behind Wat Phra Sing. Just a small place I almost walked by it. Great Burgers not the big fancy ones like Dukes has but extremely tasty.

Just a small place I almost walked by it.

When you say you almost waked by it............do you mean you were crawling, under the influence....sort of staggering but not quite; or actually you walk along sigharat road which is infront of the temple but almost paralel to the Burger Queen.......................which is infact the smallest, most out of the way, with no passing trade, metal office cum shed for the red shirt meetings. isn.t it?

Just a small place I almost walked by it.

When you say you almost waked by it............do you mean you were crawling, under the influence....sort of staggering but not quite; or actually you walk along sigharat road which is infront of the temple but almost paralel to the Burger Queen.......................which is infact the smallest, most out of the way, with no passing trade, metal office cum shed for the red shirt meetings. isn.t it?

No it is behind Wat Prah Sing. I was walking If you stand with your back to it I guess you could see where the red shirts had set up. Not sure never went down there. With your back to it on the right is the back wall of the Wat and if you go to the left you can cross over the moat and straight down to the university hospital. I think the expensive one was only 55 or 65 baht. It took them a while to make it but I was in no hurry and it was worth the wait.

I just took it walked around to the side entrance to the Wat went in sat in the little park they have and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice and peaceful and a great hamburger.