Migrating To Thailand

You obtain a non immigrant visa and extend your stay by meeting specific requirements for three continuous years and learn Thai; then apply for permanent residence (PR) and pass tests/selection process and later apply for citizenship. As with most countries it is a long and somewhat paper rich process. In reality few persons from foreign countries are likely to be granted citizenship.

You obtain a non immigrant visa and extend your stay by meeting specific requirements for three continuous years and learn Thai; then apply for permanent residence (PR) and pass tests/selection process and later apply for citizenship. As with most countries it is a long and somewhat paper rich process. In reality few persons from foreign countries are likely to be granted citizenship.

hi.. lopburi

that means that i have to stay in thailand 3 continuous years without break. if i stayed 2 years, then move back to europe for 3 years, then return back to thailand, so i have to start again with zero years. is this right?

Was speaking to a man from Sweden (i think) who had stayed in Thailand for over 3 years and claimed to be "Thai".

He did show me a Thai ID card but of course I have no way of knowing if it was real....

His name was Stig Olsen and he claimed to run a travel agents with his thai wife....

According to the wife,he spoke Thai with no accent whatsoever...

That could be true as there are foreigners who have become Thai citizens. But it is not a fill in the blanks type process. Every case would be unique and it is not something that happens on a whim.

You just have to have a look at all the different Visas.

They don`t make it easy.

But if they did i suppose most of the UK would be living here now.........

I would agree that I would not be a "fill in the blanks type process" but if someone wanted to go down this route it should not be a hardship to try and learn the language.