Direct Bus From Pattaya To Laos Or Border Crossing

Endorphin

I know there is a Bus from Pattaya to Lom Sak , thats about 12 hr trip.may have to change there, but best is to check with the Bus station in Pattaya.

Personally I would Bus to Bangkok and FLY to Udon Thani or Vientiane.

Edited by CharlieH

the above is-like so often on TV-not of much help.

There is-of sorts and not garanteed to be no-change. There are 2 different lines, 1 from Central Rd, 1 other coming off Rayong and stopping along Sukhumvit, to Nongh Khai-obviously for anyone who knows TH the bordertown toward VTE. I said maybe-as they also serve the eastern line off Khorat (mealstop anyway) toward Ubon-and in times of slack demand change may still be needed there-busstaff will tell+help you.

IMHO it is indeed better to go via Bkk/Mochit (Yes, am aware that many notknowsomuch people seem to dislike that), as there are direct buses a plenty PTy-MOCHIT-the obvious giant busstation for Isan- that also has many more direct buses to Laos bordertowns. These lines are nonstop-serve only the final places and also have more choice in the superVIP-luxury type buses, those direct from PTY make loads of onthewaystops.

Another 1/day alternative is via swampy/BUSterminal- @21.00 the yellow bus via Khorat to NonghKhai-but then you better take alternative 1.

NO online booking, NO online info beyond above, NO real worry about no seats, NO Nakorn Chai air (the pet-choice of TV-users), but IMHO avoid the 407 pattana buses, take CherdChai/Chan tour

My wife's mother does the run from just south of Khon Kaen to here on a regular basis. The net is, if you want speed, you need to transfer in Bangkok. That's what wifey does, but mother is more interested in not having to change buses. Up to you.

The night train from Hua Lampong BKK station is nice. 900 baht for 2nd class sleeper with air. Quite clean and you can get about 7 or hours sleep out of the 13 hour trip. Get's in around 8 or 9 am to Nong Kai, plenty of time to get to the Consulate in VTE and submit your passport. Then one night in VTE and pick itup at 1 pm next day. Flying (to Udon Thani) may be worth it if you get a good deal but you would have to arrive early in order to get your passport in, otherwise your paying for another night in a hotel. From Pattaya North bus station, go to Ekamai (get out at Udon Suk if possible), take BTS to Asoke, then change to MRT at Asoke to Hua Lampong stop, takes about 50 minutes.

To my everlasting regret, I did once take a bus from Nong Kai to Pattaya, arriving 15 butt numbing hours later at 0430 in the morning.

I wouldn't recommend it.

AFAIK, only standard government buses do this route, no VIP or other buses with enhanced amenities.

Yes I recall years ago living there and thete wad a yellow bus making runs to Mukdahsrn.

Nong Khai a must? Dont be a dope. Bus to Ekamai. BTS to Suk, MRT toHualalampong. Buy ticket advance at PTY train station. Train, fan sleeper - Duh.

Edited by bangkokburning

From Pattaya there will be buses to Udon Thani, a more popular destination. Get another bus there -- a one hour (or less) ride to the Nong Khai border crossing.

There are direct buses from Mo Chit to Nong Khai, stops in major towns along the way, takes app 10 hours.

A few times I've run into guys traveling with their girlfriends who were told by their darlings that they MUST take a taxi between Pattaya and Bangkok in order to catch the bus, all this re-routing just so darling can get a few baht kickback from nice Mr Taxi. As if she's not getting enough out of the punter already.

Try asking First Class Visa (they have a desk inside the Queen Victoria Inn in Soi 6) if they will take you to the border. They do a visa rune into Laos and may like to fill an empty seat.

Just an idea.

I did a visa run to Laos from the Queen Vic, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. I know the driving standards are different to the UK etc, but you couldn't relax due to the speed and some of the overtaking the driver was doing.Saying that, it was a well run trip regarding accomodation and getting the visa etc.

Try asking First Class Visa (they have a desk inside the Queen Victoria Inn in Soi 6) if they will take you to the border. They do a visa rune into Laos and may like to fill an empty seat.

Just an idea.

I did a visa run to Laos from the Queen Vic, it was the most terrifying experience of my life. I know the driving standards are different to the UK etc, but you couldn't relax due to the speed and some of the overtaking the driver was doing.Saying that, it was a well run trip regarding accomodation and getting the visa etc.

Yes, I also used FCV to go to Vientiane, I second that. It was horror. The driver kept blowing past red lights and swerving left at some intersections then cutting 180 to bypass vehicles at a traffic light. 11 hours of it inside a small van I kept wishing I was drunk or sedated. And all that 100mph speeding.

Imo the best option is with transfer in Mo Chit, thanks for pointing that. Any idea of the departure schedule in BKK?

From Mo Chit there is a bus to Nong Khai at 9:30am, I believe this is the first one of the day; I've taken this a few times and it has never been more than half-full. There are a few more throughout the day. There are many more buses to UT, and probably make less stops along the way, if you wanted to do the transfer in UT.

Edited by bendejo

From Mo Chit there is a bus to Nong Khai at 9:30am, I believe this is the first one of the day; I've taken this a few times and it has never been more than half-full. There are a few more throughout the day. There are many more buses to UT, and probably make less stops along the way, if you wanted to do the transfer in UT.

I tried without success to find their schedule online. If it's a 9:30am bus, it arrives to the border at 10pm or so, right? I think the crossing is closed then and I would have to spend the night somewhere. I'd rather enter Laos at the same time the bus gets me there. Any idea where to find their schedule?

Any idea where to find their schedule?

Sorry, can't help. I had to go to Mo Chit to find out.

I did this trip 2 months ago, got to NK around 8pm. The bus ran on LPG, stopped to fuel up en route, but the station was being re-supplied and we had to wait around an hour.

Yeah, you'd have to spend the night in NK. Either that or maybe get an overnighter. Myself, I can't sleep on buses so it's out of the question.

Why would you go on a bus when you can have a sleeper for about B150 more?? For VIP it will be about same, even more! Train is central and terminus MRT or jump on at Bang Sue.

Up from Pattaya to Morchit and moto to Bang Sue train station.

If you have a Thai friend, some bus companies are online, can even book online and pay at 7. You would really have to go up and search around.

If you are going by bus, just sort it out of Pattaya, no need to go to BKK (pfffttt).

Edited by bangkokburning

• 3 weeks later...

I made the travel last Saturday by train from Hua Lampong. Took bus from Pattaya to Ekamai where I was told it's best to take a taxi to the train station (200B). Train ticket was 760 B. The ride was not bad with a curtained off bed for good sleep. Train car was slightly rattly, wished I had earplugs but used my headphones to silence some of the noise. On the arrival hired a tuk-tuk that first took me to some Thai shop near the border where they overcharged me couple of hundred Baht for Lao visa (don't do it!). All in all I recommend the train option.