Might Lose My Passport, Help Me With Malicious Bike Renter

GoSoon

Hi,

I was recently in an accident on Koh Phangan, and the owner of the bike came to get it in the middle of the night. I left it on the side of the road because I had to go to the hospital.

The accident was by myself and involved a friend, I had to brake suddenly and lost control and we rolled. We got quite beat up but aside from scratches and a ton of pain we're okay.

We did not report the incident to police, but we did go to the hospital.

Now, about a week and a half later, just being able to walk, I made my way to the rental place. He took me to the bike in his friend's shop (still unrepaired) and showed me all sorts of damages (I cannot verify if he didn't just break some things to charge me, but it looks pretty much how it should for what happened). He then tallied up how much I owed him, and it's rediculous, I can't pay it.

He told me that it's no problem, if I don't pay soon, he will sell my passport on the black market, and the price goes up each day.

On the contract, I managed to somewhat lightly (though still completely legibly) cross out the clauses that state that 1: I won't be able to repair it myself, and 2: I will be charged 10000 baht if I repair it myself. I have friends who have shops who I can get it repaired at for next to nothing. He won't budge, and won't let me take the bike myself.

I didn't get him talking about selling my passport on recording, but I would be able to by re-questioning him if this could be of benefit to me.

My question is, is there any way to use the fact he's threatening to sell my passport, and/or the crossed out clauses, to either reduce how much I have to pay or get my passport back for free? Perhaps involving the police in some way? Is the fact I didn't report this to the police a problem?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a good rental contract you're <Snip!>, sorry no other way to really said it. Involving the police will likely make things more complicated, basically what you say is that you signed a contract that says you cannot repair the motorcycle yourself.

Also do not ignore the official parts price list of some motorcycle manufacturers, for some very popular Honda or Kawasaki motorcycles a OE exhaust system can be around 10,000 THB. A dented fuel tank... some fenders and body panels... a simple repair can cost a lot of money...

The issue about your passport is illegal, but I bet he will not repeat that with a police officer standing next to him... For the police you damaged his property and the destroyer pays … especially if you sign a contract as shady as you did...

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

What the hell were you doing giving him your passport , < Snip> , you do not give anybody your passport .

That's a bit harsh sir. Been in Thailand many years, rented all over the country and it is standard practice to surrender the passport for the duration of the rental. At least that's my experience.

Anyway, calling him names isn't really helpful. Do you have any useful suggestions for his current situation?

To the OP - I wish I had some good ideas for you. May I suggest you contact your own embassy, explain the situation and see what they say about your passport. It is likely they've run across this kind of thing before. Just a suggestion. I wish you the best is working this out.

Edited by metisdead
: Inflammatory comments removed from quoted post.

Let him sell it, fill out a police report and report it as it being sold on the black market by the motorcycle rental guy. If, and that is a big if, the cops fill in the paper work, take it to your embassy and get a replacement. If they don't, you are pretty much screwed unless the guy comes down in price.

Unfortunately, I do not trust anyone with custody of my passport when they could withhold it for damages or alleged damages to their property. Some people cannot be trusted and there are plenty of agencies who will take a copy as enough.

First you never said what kind of bike it was or how much to repair

leaving the Passport is standard, or a large cash deposit. Many hotels won't rent to you if you do not surender the passport

You are responsible for any damage. if it is a Honda, take it to a Honda shop, if it is a Kawasaki take it there.

You are also responsible for lost days of rent. Man up and pay

you also should report the accident to the police, it will only help you, as with them involved may get treated more fairly on repairs and not a shady friends shop

Or totally woose out, claim your passport was stolen and have a new one issued and split the country never to return

You can get the police involved but it won't help you,

Pang Ghan is a place unto itself

If you can't pay make an offer and consider yourself lucky

Not trying to scare you , just speaking from what I know down there

My best mates run a bungalow complex down there spent loads of time there

You don't know anyone , bad news

What the hell were you doing giving him your passport , < Snip> , you do not give anybody your passport .

That's a bit harsh sir. Been in Thailand many years, rented all over the country and it is standard practice to surrender the passport for the duration of the rental. At least that's my experience.

Anyway, calling him names isn't really helpful. Do you have any useful suggestions for his current situation?

To the OP - I wish I had some good ideas for you. May I suggest you contact your own embassy, explain the situation and see what they say about your passport. It is likely they've run across this kind of thing before. Just a suggestion. I wish you the best is working this out.

Some may be comfortable given a rental agency their passport, but not me. Never have, never will and have never had a problem finding a rental agency that do not require holding your passport.

I would say that you've been lucky, unlike the OP.

The OP is screwed. You either pay what the rental vendor wants or go to your embassy and report your passport as missing and get a replacement. This may be your best bet.

• Like 1

The OP is screwed. You either pay what the rental vendor wants or go to your embassy and report your passport as missing and get a replacement. This may be your best bet.

Pretty much what i was thinking.

If you do decide to get another passport, that still doesn't stop the authorities and the rental guy tracking you down using the details from the passport you left behind..... Just be careful.

If (unlike your username) you intend to stay here for a while, i'm afraid you will have to cough up.

Even buying the bike off of him, you will have to pay full value of the bike, as he'll need to buy another bike to replace this one, which will almost always be a new bike.

I'm also curious as to what bike it was and what the repair quote from him was, depending on how much he's asking for, buying the bike, repairing it, then selling it on might work out cheaper. But if you can't afford the repair quote, then i doubt 45k (for a fino/click) would also be out of reach too... sad.png

Edited by karlos

If you're unfortunate enough to be a UK citizen then you'll be charged near on 10,000Baht for the larger of the two passports. However, you could get an emergency passport here in Thailand for alot less if you intend to 'GoSoon'

If you're unfortunate enough to be a UK citizen then you'll be charged near on 10,000Baht for the larger of the two passports. However, you could get an emergency passport here in Thailand for alot less if you intend to 'GoSoon'

i would think this repair is at least 100k ....

Inform your embassy and also the local consulate that the shop owner is refusing to release your passport. They should be able to secure it`s release and maybe even help you with the cost of repairs if you guarantee to reimburse them. I have had accidents on my own bikes and even a slow speed shunt can be very costly. If I rented out bikes and a client damaged it I`d expect him to pay for the damage. It`ll likely be cheaper here than if you had to pay for repairs in Europe. The consulate may even to be able to negotiate a compromise but don`t expect to get away lightly, this is the bike guys business so try and put yourself in his shoes. Thailand isn`t as cheap as many imagine. Look upon it as a lesson learned.

i would think this repair is at least 100k ....

I guess the bike owner itself would call the police if the damage is >100k and the customer is refusing to pay it.

So how much is the claimed damage? 1k 10k 100k??? Any pictures taken?

Don't ever give your passport to a rental shop. In Samui last month, I passed on two shops, including some Dutch guy in Lamai who got very irritated that Ii didn't want to leave a passport, before finding a woman who would rent keeping only my Thai car license.

Without knowing the type of bike and the quote for damage, its not easy to suggest anything here.

Just report the passport stolen at your embassy and leave the area. Someone who threaten you with selling your passport on the black market is obviously a criminal, just get away.

Personally I would never leave my passport with anyone and if I were to rent anything I would check what sort of insurance they had on their vehicles. The customer shouldn't have to pay for damages, it should be insured by the rental company.

Saying that, I obviously wouldn't rent anything in a foreign country. Even if there were no damages I am sure they could make up some.

Very strange . . .

No word on what kind of bike or what the damage cost though over and over it is asked

Bottom line is you broke it so now you need to fix it or you too are as big a crook as the rental guy as you say

If I was the rental shop and thought you were going to split with out paying I would not only call the po;ice but also immigration

on these kind of cases, you can inform the rental place to your embassy and the police with the contract if the guy is threatening you on selling your passport. Contract is your proof that you handed your passport to the guy and according to the international immigration laws, only immigration police can check your passport so he is holding your passport illegally.

Still, you made an accident and you have to pay for it man, you cannot run from it. Even if you can get your passport back, these guys will wait you in Thong Sala Pier or the other piers - i live in Koh Phangan for some time and there is always undercover police or some guys checking who is going and coming, i know for sure - before you can run away from Koh Phangan, And if they catch you running without paying or paying less, they trash you man, just keep in mind.

Just be nice, try to negotiate with teh guy again for the price or bring a Thai friend - native of Koh Phangan only -intermediate the price for you.

Good luck.

on these kind of cases, you can inform the rental place to your embassy and the police with the contract if the guy is threatening you on selling your passport. Contract is your proof that you handed your passport to the guy and according to the international immigration laws, only immigration police can check your passport so he is holding your passport illegally.

Still, you made an accident and you have to pay for it man, you cannot run from it. Even if you can get your passport back, these guys will wait you in Thong Sala Pier or the other piers - i live in Koh Phangan for some time and there is always undercover police or some guys checking who is going and coming, i know for sure - before you can run away from Koh Phangan, And if they catch you running without paying or paying less, they trash you man, just keep in mind.

Just be nice, try to negotiate with teh guy again for the price or bring a Thai friend - native of Koh Phangan only -intermediate the price for you.

Good luck.

good advice which i can confirm "legal" things on phangan can get tricky and the local police in involed in alot of "things". Sort it out the good way i mean you crashed the bike so you have to pay for it...

you could not be in a worse place in that situation, all related to each other and know each other. I would be negotiating from Surrat by now. Sure you got to pay but these guys make the money out of the accidents and the inflated repair costs. Its a civil matter between you and the renter, apart from the passport. To legally get the money he has to go to court and you remain here until its gets to court,

You say you have friends with shops, why not rent off them, if they are locals they will know the renter see if they can "help" 3rd party wise. Maybe post on Samui forum and get local advise. All any renter needs information wise is on a copy of a passport, not the passport it self. Plenty of places except photo copies except maybe there.

The fact he had a contract if you repair your self he want 10,000 baht, show he is a scammer. if the bike is repaired as before why does he need 10,000 on top.

Edited by marstons

Why is it difficult for you to name the brand of bike and also how much he wants from you???????>

The OP is most likely a troll..............or just plain dumb

Agreed, and for the life of me l can't believe guys give their passport to someone they don't know from Adam. Beggars belief. sad.png