Might Lose My Passport, Help Me With Malicious Bike Renter

GoSoon

it is funny to see people here stating like " why did you give them your passport?"

In Koh Phangan, no one give you a bike without a passport man. in many other areas of Thailand as well.

If you are so worried on handing your passport, then you do not rent a bike, that easy. Please stop bitching about it.

Many shitty farang crashed the bikes and run away before so of course they will ask the passports to protect their business. I can understand them. if they are doing so it is because of us shitty farang before, i am sorry but do not blame the renters. think about it. We created this monsterbiggrin.png

They cannot rent the bike for god knows how many days due to repairs besides just drink responsibly and drive nice and do not do accident with someone else's bike man.

If they try to get more money for repairs, that is fine. Think about what will happen to you if you crash a bike in UK without a license? they screw you out man with fines, right?

I left my passport in Koh Phangan for months for rental and i do not have any trouble. Besides, my passport is much more secure in their safes than my room:) haha.

and 'gosoon', 20,00 thb is a good price for a fix on a new bike. congrats but still be careful and do not be around that shop or change your accom or leave Koh Phangan as if you get it reduced too much, they might still wanna find youbiggrin.png

Rubbish. The renter should have insurance to cover any eventuality. Do you hand over your passport in farangland, eeeeeer NO. How do Thais rent a bike. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insurance coverage for an accident involving a drunk farang? do not make me laugh man. I am sure you live here for a long time so hard to understand your ignorance.

yes, renter can fool the insurance company a couple of times but not more than that. Insurance companies are not stupid man.

Edited by loserlazer

Insurance coverage for an accident involving a drunk farang? do not make me laugh man. I am sure you live here for a long time so hard to understand your ignorance.

yes, renter can fool the insurance company a couple of times but not more than that. Insurance companies are not stupid man.

ignorance hmmmmmmmmmm. Tell me any country that asks for your passport for assurance ?

It is illegal.

Insurance can be provided for any eventuality at a COST to the rental business. If a farang OR Thai is drunk then that is a case for the law, nothing to do with the rental business. If a conviction then they can claim what ever. NOBODY gives their passport to a stranger, except a few daft folk. Credit card details ARE the norm.

I have rented stuff around the world and NEVER been asked to relinquish my passport, cos it is illegal.

Scenario. A guy rents a bike for his two week holiday, has handed the guy his passport. Last day of rental, cos flight home, takes the ride back to find the store had a break in and his passport is gone w00t.gif . Flight home in 3 hours, who TF is going to sort it ?. He cannot leave the country, misses his flight, and tries to sort out a new passport AND pay for a new flight, WHO pays for this shit ? sad.png Daft to the extreme. BUT, your OK with it. laugh.png

ignorance hmmmmmmmmmm. Tell me any country that asks for your passport for assurance ?

It is illegal.

Insurance can be provided for any eventuality at a COST to the rental business. If a farang OR Thai is drunk then that is a case for the law, nothing to do with the rental business. If a conviction then they can claim what ever. NOBODY gives their passport to a stranger, except a few daft folk. Credit card details ARE the norm.

I have rented stuff around the world and NEVER been asked to relinquish my passport, cos it is illegal.

Scenario. A guy rents a bike for his two week holiday, has handed the guy his passport. Last day of rental, cos flight home, takes the ride back to find the store had a break in and his passport is gone w00t.gif . Flight home in 3 hours, who TF is going to sort it ?. He cannot leave the country, misses his flight, and tries to sort out a new passport AND pay for a new flight, WHO pays for this shit ? sad.png Daft to the extreme. BUT, your OK with it. laugh.png

man i am not OK with it as well. Why did you get me wrong?

Getting the credit card info is a better way but not everyone has a card. Besides, i prefer to leave my passport than leaving my credit card information to the hands in Thailand which is another issuebiggrin.png

what i am trying to state here is : if they ask our passports, it is bc of drunk farang crash the bikes and runaway with it before.

In faranglands, they just ask you your credit card yes but if you crash the car, they find you for sure.man. You cannot runaway from such an incident in France if you are from UK as an example. They find you.

Scenario 2: You crashed a rental bike in Pattaya and you did not hand your passport to the renter at the beginning and you have a flight next day in the morning.You did not have time to deal with the renter, repair or police as you will miss your flight for sure.

So, what do you do? You took off and get your flight and runaway, you think like : "anyway the renter cannot find me in UK of USA and i will not come here again", right?

I am sure you are a long timer nice guy here and respectful for this land and do not do these but do you expect all foreigners to do the same especially the ones coming here for a short time?

Think about it man a little, please!

Edited by loserlazer

I have thought about it, but you stated l am an ignorant long time expat, yes/no. smile.png

Tell me, why in all my rentals in LOS l have NEVER been asked to leave my passport ?, a simple scan copy of my passport's relevant pages are always sufficient, probably cos l don't have a ''MUG'' tattoo on my forehead. whistling.gif

My eyes are open to any scam in LOS, and not having my passport in my pocket is a field day for the scammer.

I rented a car once in LOS where the damage sheet was clean, l inspected the car and found minor dings and scratches, went back and called the guy out, pointed to all the stuff, hmmmmmm, he reluctantly noted all the stuff on the sheet and l was away.

If l did not do this AND they had my passport, VERY nice money earner.

The passport thing is a scam, take a bike back, OOOOOOOH, look a scratch, 10,000bht please or Noooo passport, farang coughs up cos flight in a few hours. rolleyes.gif

Must admit, don't like being called ignorant, as l do try to provide info to the new guy in LOS through MY experiences. smile.png

20k damage to a 50k bike.

That would be half the bike needing replacement, including the engine.

Next time you crash a rental, drive to the nearest dealer and get them to repair it.

Don't even mention any damage to the rental company.

I'm guessing actual cost 5k tops for repairs, 15k profit, a nice little earner.

Don't ever rent anything with red plates.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I have thought about it, but you stated l am an ignorant long time expat, yes/no. smile.png

Tell me, why in all my rentals in LOS l have NEVER been asked to leave my passport ?, a simple scan copy of my passport's relevant pages are always sufficient, probably cos l don't have a ''MUG'' tattoo on my forehead. whistling.gif

My eyes are open to any scam in LOS, and not having my passport in my pocket is a field day for the scammer.

I rented a car once in LOS where the damage sheet was clean, l inspected the car and found minor dings and scratches, went back and called the guy out, pointed to all the stuff, hmmmmmm, he reluctantly noted all the stuff on the sheet and l was away.

The passport thing is a scam, take a bike back, OOOOOOOH, look a scratch, 10,000bht please or Noooo passport, farang coughs up cos flight in a few hours. rolleyes.gif

Must admit, don't like being called ignorant, as l do try to provide info to the new guy in LOS through MY experiences. smile.png

sorry if i offended you but if you call 'rubbish' on ideas of someone then you get the stamp man.

I am not telling you ignorant but on insurance policies possibly.

your experiences of course are appreciated man anytime with all respect as long you know how to act on opinion of others.

Anyway, you think it is only Thai people as scammers then you are wrong there. these stories has both sides you only see one side. the farang side.

anyway, you do not give your passport. i hope in the future they change their passport keeping story to something else but i as a foreigner do not see any solution once i think about a rental business in Thailand.

And, if they want to scam you with scratches and dings, you give your passport or not, they get your money anyway in Thailand.

sorry if i offended you but if you call 'rubbish' on ideas of someone then you get the stamp man.

I am not telling you ignorant but on insurance policies possibly.

your experiences of course are appreciated man anytime with all respect as long you know how to act on opinion of others.

Anyway, you think it is only Thai people as scammers then you are wrong there. these stories has both sides you only see one side. the farang side.

anyway, you do not give your passport. i hope in the future they change their passport keeping story to something else but i as a foreigner do not see any solution once i think about a rental business in Thailand.

And, if they want to scam you with scratches and dings, you give your passport or not, they get your money anyway in Thailand.

Think you are twisting stuff here, don't care about scams elsewhere, and of course a rip off will happen anywhere where the police will not help, BUT,BUT, my comments are to tell

ALL READERS, DO NOT GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO ANYONE, PERIOD, find another renter or walk.

I have rented bikes in Chiang Mai, Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Hua Hin, Cha-Am, Koh Tao, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket and probably a few other places. I have NEVER left my passport. I ask the price, I ask whether they need a passport, I tell them my passport is not with me, its at home and I'm away on a trip, I offer my UK driving licence, at most I'll give them my Thai car licence. If they require a passport, I walk away.

Anyone who doesn't do this is asking for trouble. I've had numerous people refuse to rent me a bike without a passport, but never had trouble finding someone around the corner who doesn't need one. I've even had two PCX's with the guarantee of my UK car licence. A dutch guy in Lamai, Samui did get very arsey with me when I walked away from renting two of his Hayates though, he really wanted my passport. I wonder if that's our friend loserlazer above.

• Like 1

I have rented bikes in Chiang Mai, Koh Samet, Koh Chang, Hua Hin, Cha-Am, Koh Tao, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket and probably a few other places. I have NEVER left my passport. I ask the price, I ask whether they need a passport, I tell them my passport is not with me, its at home and I'm away on a trip, I offer my UK driving licence, at most I'll give them my Thai car licence. If they require a passport, I walk away.

Anyone who doesn't do this is asking for trouble. I've had numerous people refuse to rent me a bike without a passport, but never had trouble finding someone around the corner who doesn't need one. I've even had two PCX's with the guarantee of my UK car licence. A dutch guy in Lamai, Samui did get very arsey with me when I walked away from renting two of his Hayates though, he really wanted my passport. I wonder if that's our friend loserlazer above.

haha funny really.

yes it is me man i am the Dutch guy in Lamai and i think i am doing the right thing by asking your passport...biggrin.png

What a pity man. I rent a bike everywhere in Thailand as well and some i gave some they do not even ask and i had no trouble.

So, you must have been at all the corners of Thailand then, huh? How much time do you spend normally on renting a bike looking around cornerslaugh.png ?

You are a guy with a brain in your head and not elsewhere. I cannot believe the naivety of others here, but YOU and I will go through stuff with no worries. 10 out of 10. thumbsup.gif

Whether you physically give them your passport or not they can presumably notify the police and immigration and you would be black listed from leaving the country ... The only difference is that some westerners may think they can run and thus get themselves into trouble.

Sometimes I guess the rental company would also try to rip you off having your passport as leverage. I've also seen people asking for big deposits or around 10,000 baht.

I agree telling them you will not leave a passport or a bigger than 1K or so deposit is the way to go. But, I presume sometimes they all require it. I would in that case just deal with not having a bike as I hate getting ripped off - it's more than just the money.

In this case though, I doubt it would have mattered. If the OP had tried to leave they would have stopped him at the dock or the airport anyway. The rental company guy was just being an asshol_e and airing his frustration probably - he has much more leverage by calling the police than by selling a passport. Replacing the passport would be less than 20K anyway, so if that's all he'd wanted, that would have been a better deal :)

There are shops on KP who are fair with repairs and don't require passport or some other forms of ID, but they need to "know you" first....

On my second visit to Thailand the lady at the shop said we know and trust you... that was Nawin Store in Maehaad... I did have a minor accident once and they hardly charged anything for picking up and repairing the bike...thumbsup.gif

But know, living here in Samui, I make fairly frequent trips to KP and have 3 shops I can just walk into and take a bike... no id required. Joys Computer Shop in Ban Tai, or Suzy in Tongsala.... But first time around expect to give some form of ID ... anyone living here can use a Thai drivers license of course...

But looking at the shop's point of view, people do steal bikes, or just leave them at the pier... and they do not get paid sometimes ... That's happened to a friend here on Samui, who rents bikes, he's not so trusting of anyone anymore, just cos they have a "nice smile"smile.png

In Malaysia, (or probably most countries) there are not as many bike rental places, but the one's who do rent bikes take credit cards .... but that is not the "norm" in Thailand.... so the shops do need to have some security ....

Would anyone here let some unknown person "borrow" a bike? I think not.... whistling.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

There are shops on KP who are fair with repairs and don't require passport or some other forms of ID, but they need to "know you" first....

That is the key. You have to know someone or leave a sizable deposit! I don't hand my passport or deposit over at all when I visit Phangan these days. A motorbike is waiting for me at the pier. I've established trust with the people I deal with. Even though they don't require my passport, they would ask for yours. I have vouched for people and they have been permitted to rent a bike on the strength of my word. I certainly wouldn't vouch for someone I don't know.

I am making the assumption that you are a tourist. Report your passport to the Tourist Police as stolen. Go to your embassy with the police report. They can issue an emergency travel dosument to allow you to fly back to your home country.

And what, not pay for the damage he caused? Sorry to say, but not the best advice. Likely to be stopped at the dock, the airport or the next time you come back into Thailand.

it is funny to see people here stating like " why did you give them your passport?"

In Koh Phangan, no one give you a bike without a passport man. in many other areas of Thailand as well.

If you are so worried on handing your passport, then you do not rent a bike, that easy. Please stop bitching about it.

Many shitty farang crashed the bikes and run away before so of course they will ask the passports to protect their business. I can understand them. if they are doing so it is because of us shitty farang before, i am sorry but do not blame the renters. think about it. We created this monsterbiggrin.png

They cannot rent the bike for god knows how many days due to repairs besides just drink responsibly and drive nice and do not do accident with someone else's bike man.

If they try to get more money for repairs, that is fine. Think about what will happen to you if you crash a bike in UK without a license? they screw you out man with fines, right?

I left my passport in Koh Phangan for months for rental and i do not have any trouble. Besides, my passport is much more secure in their safes than my room:) haha.

and 'gosoon', 20,00 thb is a good price for a fix on a new bike. congrats but still be careful and do not be around that shop or change your accom or leave Koh Phangan as if you get it reduced too much, they might still wanna find youbiggrin.png

I don't often agree with you, however in this case I must say I mostly do

Tourist come here, think they can do anything, have problems and try to run away.

The rental shop protects itself from this by holding the passport. Yet it still happens at times.

More times than not they find a small problem or scratch after they renter is gone.and are stuck with it

Rubbish. The renter should have insurance to cover any eventuality. Do you hand over your passport in farangland, eeeeeer NO. How do Thais rent a bike. rolleyes.gif

They dont usually rent bikes out to Thais, and when they do they have to give up their ID card + deposit.

Usually credit card details, but not leave the card. The way to go.

I have rented stuff all over the world, including LOS and never been asked for passport. Some have photo copied the relevant passport page. Why should LOS be any different, all hire firms have the same risks wherever on the planet they are.

I have rented stuff all over the world, including LOS and never been asked for passport. Some have photo copied the relevant passport page. Why should LOS be any different, all hire firms have the same risks wherever on the planet they are.

I think Thailand probably has the highest rate of travelling criminals out of any other country. I think a place in Chiang Rai rented me a bike without having to give them any passport or ID. But in CNX, Pattaya and Phuket they always asked me for them, never tried to say no though.

You must look really innocent, I on the other hand look like a thug....555

Most of the rental shops dont seem to be set up for cc charges. Maybe it is-not easy here as it is in some other countries.

My experiences mirror this:

I've rented bikes in my younger years in Thailand - I've been asked to leave my passport at the shop, but always refuse and leave the shop to try the next shop down the road. In some they have asked for my passport, I've said no... and sometimes they only needed a photo copy of my passport which is fine. I've taken the on a quick test drive, they've been happy to adjust the brakes for me when I asked. Bike returned no hassles.

IF I had slipped and dented or scratched the bike I would have offered to pay any 'reasonable' repair costs.

IMO - Transams and my experiences are the way it should work. BUT as other posters have mentioned; we as foreigners have created this monster as we are judged by the lowest common denominator who runs off without taking responsibility. Not exactly a new concept for Thai's but one they are very much prepared for.

There really is no decent solution: In some area's they will not rent out a bike or cars without you leaving your passport. I choose not to rent from these types of shop (and I no longer rent out bikes). I rent out an ATV on Koh Samet when I go there, I leave them with my drivers licence or my wife leaves them a copy of her old ID card. We've never had an issue.

BUT - if you damage the bike and you are at fault. You should pay for the damage - its common decency and you can only hope the renter is equally decent about the costs.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.

Q: How old is the bike? What is it - a Fino, a ...? What's its mileage?

I would insist on letting a factory dealership handle the repairs. They can give you a quote for all the parts.

Labour is not high over here...

You could also get a 2nd passport, but you would rather pay up, but only the correct amount?