Northface Backpack - Night Bazaar

JustCurious

When a 'quality' manufacturer orders 10,000 'items' to be manufactured, be it in China or Pakistan, the factory makes a LOT more than the 10,000. You can't just start up an assembly line and expect every station to work smoothly, so the factory has beginning runs to test the line, ending runs to finish what's loaded into the line, etc. They don't just throw away all these extras. They sell them off cheaply. Very cheaply. Quite often, these are what you find in discount shops. It pays to look carefully. Not everything 'cheap' is bad. Just muxh of it. :)

• Like 1

FolkGuitar, on 22 Feb 2013 - 06:55, said:

When a 'quality' manufacturer orders 10,000 'items' to be manufactured, be it in China or Pakistan, the factory makes a LOT more than the 10,000. You can't just start up an assembly line and expect every station to work smoothly, so the factory has beginning runs to test the line, ending runs to finish what's loaded into the line, etc. They don't just throw away all these extras. They sell them off cheaply. Very cheaply. Quite often, these are what you find in discount shops. It pays to look carefully. Not everything 'cheap' is bad. Just muxh of it. smile.png

Yeah that's probably true but you won't find these at the night bazaar, I can pretty much guarantee this.

The reason is that the cheap chinese crap knock-offs are probably cheaper to buy than the genuine factory seconds.

Yeah that's probably true but you won't find these at the night bazaar, I can pretty much guarantee this.

That is why I said "Quite often, these are what you find in discount shops," rather than saying they could be found at the night bazaar. But I do like the fact that you are willing to guarantee this. For how much? Full money refund, or just exchange? cheesy.gif

When a 'quality' manufacturer orders 10,000 'items' to be manufactured, be it in China or Pakistan, the factory makes a LOT more than the 10,000. You can't just start up an assembly line and expect every station to work smoothly, so the factory has beginning runs to test the line, ending runs to finish what's loaded into the line, etc. They don't just throw away all these extras. They sell them off cheaply. Very cheaply. Quite often, these are what you find in discount shops. It pays to look carefully. Not everything 'cheap' is bad. Just muxh of it. smile.png

Exactly right. In my business, we discovered that almost all the "gray-market" merchandise was being manufactured in the same factories as the "genuine" stuff. Setting up a production line for soft goods is a little bit easier to do than creating one for hard goods, but it's still more economically feasible to simply employ "down" time at an existing facility.

....if something is fakery of a fake, does that not make it real?

It makes it a real fake.

You can get the genuine bags at Sports World Kad Suan Kaew.

Thanks, I stopped by Sports World and like their Osprey backpacks.

Can you please tell me what the price range is at Sports World. My wife bought a backpack at a market for sons school use - took 3 weeks for fabric to part around zipper.

Many of the knock off North Face items are just as good (some are better) than the real thing. I bought a number of North Face knock offs from the Vietnamese vendors in Europe. They showed me the real ones and then showed me the knock offs. I have to say that the stitching was better on theirs. 7 years later they are in just as good condition as they were when I bought them (with many thousands of km travel on them). Can't say about the quality at the Night Bazaar though.

Got an original North Face backpack and bag that travel with me offshore. Quality of the originals cannot be beaten.

I used to be neighbours with a woman that imported them from Vietnam; copies and originals. Copies aren't even close to the quality of the original bags.

The old saying is true; you get what you pay for.

Got an original North Face backpack and bag that travel with me offshore. Quality of the originals cannot be beaten. I used to be neighbours with a woman that imported them from Vietnam; copies and originals. Copies aren't even close to the quality of the original bags. The old saying is true; you get what you pay for.

Like I said, I bought knock offs that were much better quality than the real ones. Depends on who you get 'em from. The vendors also sold the originals... I compared the two.

It is easy to tell a good bag from a poor one. Just look at the shoulder straps. The good quality straps will be MUCH thicker. Look for double stitching at all the stress points.

However, very few people need the quality of a first rate bag. How many people are actually going trekking in Nepal for a month? Most people just want a bag that will carry their stuff from the airport to their hotel. The cheap bags will do that.

And, as someone already said... you get what you pay for.

However, once in a while you can find "SECONDS". Those are the bags that are not quite perfect and can't be sold overseas. But, in every other way they are great value for the money.