Gambling Addiction Help

ubonrthai

Many if not most Thais have this addiction, be it Hi-Lo, pok daeng, football, lottery. Their problem is that they gamble for more than they comfortably can lose and then borrow money to try to win back their losses. Incurable IMO. sad.png

I see/hear it all the time too but have never met someone willing to admit the problem and get help until now.

I'll bet you he does not succeed, it's in the blood of most SEA people. I have witnessed people gambling away motorbikes / cars / jewellery and even property AND still they continue to gamble.

It's as bad an addiction as alcohol or drugs if you as me.

I see/hear it all the time too but have never met someone willing to admit the problem and get help until now.

I'll bet you he does not succeed, it's in the blood of most SEA people. I have witnessed people gambling away motorbikes / cars / jewellery and even property AND still they continue to gamble.

Perhaps that is part of the reason he is asking for help in that he doesn't want to get to that stage. Putting a bet on his success is a bit insensitive as well (IMEHO).........wink.png

Perhaps that is part of the reason he is asking for help in that he doesn't want to get to that stage. Putting a bet on his success is a bit insensitive as well (IMEHO).........wink.png

The bit about the bet was tongue in cheek.

What does the E in IMEHO mean?

I bet you'll never find out. biggrin.png

Addiction is overrated and misused a lot.

If someone really want to stop smoking or gambling: just do it...no problem.

But most people just want to whine about it....They have fun gambling and just lost money so they speak about stopping but really they don't want to stop they want to win....

• Like 1

laugh.png Yeah, I know it was!

Extremely is the missing E; just looking at the posts before, maybe I should have let it run

During many years here in Thailand, I have known quite a number of addicted Thai gamblers.Most are women but not all are women. They cry, beg and promise that they will never gamble again. I don't know of a single one of them that quit permanently. In my opinion the gambling addiction is stronger than drug addiction.

I would advise anyone who has a partner who gambles to end the relationship ASAP. They WON'T stop.

• Like 1

They cry, beg and promise that they will never gamble again. I don't know of a single one of them that quit permanently.

Amen to this. thumbsup.gif

They cry, beg and promise that they will never gamble again. I don't know of a single one of them that quit permanently.

Amen to this. thumbsup.gif

I know a couple who have quit; until now. We won't know if its permanent till they die, I suppose.

One of them said to me: "If I'd not gone to prison, I'd have probably lost my house eventually"

SC

Geez why did I even bother... Admin feel free to just delete the thread.

Good luck to you. Him admitting to the problem is the biggest hurdle. Someone very close to me is an addicted gambler. They say they wont stop until the day they are cold and burried. This person lives from hand to mouth and has made many people's life a misery thanks to their problem. They should be swimming in money. At least I have learned from their stupid mistakes. It really is like an ilness because it's so ilogical to do it. I believe it happens for 2 reasons. 1. The cocaine like buzz one gets when about to win a lot of money. The dumb thing is this has already been previously lost in other bets or is about to be pi**ed up the wall in future bets. 2. The weak promise of something good when there are few other alternatives.