On Case Of Retirement From Emplyment, How Long Advance Notice Has To Be Given?

i plan to retire my current job in thailand as per september 30th, 2012. salary is paid monthly, always on the l;ast of the month. so, when do have to give notice to my employer? at latest august 31st, 2012? or can it be any time before the september 30th, 2012, for example at september 5th, 2012?

i had read:

'...the employment agreement (either the employer or employee), has to notify the other party either in advance of or on the date that the salary is paid.'

but it was not said how long before the salary payment date the notification would have to given to the employer...

Does it not say in your contract ? mine stipulates that either party has to give 3 months notice of job termination.

This is Thailand and none of my employee follow the contract. so what happens if you don't give 3 month notice, will they fire you?

Since you are paid monthly I would think that a months notice would be fair to the company and maybe to you also. Your contract states "in advance of" so they maybe meant a month but did not word it as such. Ask them what is fair for both sides.

in short, my contract does not state anything. but given that the ideal time to resign would be as per september 30th, 2012. the question is whather i will have to tell this to my employer before august 31st, 2012, or if it would be ok, if i tell him on september 5th or start of september. it's onlt a question of a few days, but if possible, i would prefer to tell my employer slightly after thiws month's salary date - if that does not mean o lose one more full month before i cna gop ahead with the new job...

that is not quite clear to me from what i have read online. whether it's just 'before the next salary date' or whether it has to be at least a full month before the next salary date.

If on a monthly salary, then a months notice is applicable unless otherwise stated in your contract, ie some contracts require 3 months, but it appears yours is not stated then a month is applicable in your case

in other words, on your second last pay day, you inform them that next pay day will be your last day.

Edited by Soutpeel

Absolute min should be 30 days, but depending on your contract

And your position in the company you may want/need to give longer notice

As you are retiring it may be that you have been with the company for a number of years, have they always been good and fair with you?

If so, why not be the same to them?

In your position, I would advise the employer that I was planning to retire and advise them to start looking for my replacement and offer to train my replacement before retiring.

Any reason that you must retire on exactly on 30 Sep?

Of course the above would be mainly for a more senior position where it is reasonable that it will take some time to find qualified replacement a d ensure they are trained to take up your duties