Thailand Consumer Protection Laws ?

freedomnow

Is there a law in Thailand that supersedes store rules on refunds for goods returned after 2-3 days ?

I bought a 2400 Baht electronics accessory from an Apple reseller (not official Apple store) but unfortunately due to a technical problem with my notebook I cannot use it.

There is nothing wrong with the item but the store refused flat out to refund me as there was nothing defective with the goods and pointed out the "no refunds" text on the the receipt.

I never argued with them as I see their side...just annoying I cannot use it or get a refund.

I was going to buy the new Air from them so it looks like they get the small sale and lost the bigger sale come October.

Edited by freedomnow

In my experience, there is only an enforceable contract between buyer and seller when this is evidenced in writing (in Thai language), and there are no laws that provide the buyer with additional statutory rights which would over-rule any implied or even written contract between two parties.

Also in my experience, you as a buyer are largely at the mercy of the seller's goodwill towards you once you have paid.

Yep they do have consumer protection laws used them a couple of times and there quite good you just sign some paperwork and then they do everything for you managed to get 38,000 bht refund on a crap motorbike I bought.

The bigger shops that are aware of it will cave in once you mention you are going to contact them , not sure how the smaller outlets react.

I even took a 700k car back to a dealer 7 months after purchase as I found out the mileage had been played with once I mentioned consumer protection and that they would come down and check every car in his garage he soon arranged a deal to buy the car back

Here is the link anyway

http://www.ocpb.go.th/

In that situation I would try to explain to them that the item that you purchased turned out to be incompatible with your current equipment, and that while you understand that they have a no refund policy the Item is unused and in the same condition as when you purchased it maybe they would consider an exchange for something of equal value that you can make use of. I have to admit that I wouldnt be happy at the thought of losing what appears to be around AU78 because of such a policy .

well where can you give back used items?

If you cannot use it, it is not used....unfortunately also nothing i could see to exchange it for also.

Funnily enough I bought an LED last week at a different retailer (J.I.B. ?) and he said use it 10 days and if not happy, will change it for another brand.

Edited by freedomnow

well where can you give back used items?

If you cannot use it, it is not used....unfortunately also nothing i could see to exchange it for also.

Funnily enough I bought an LED last week at a different retailer (J.I.B. ?) and he said use it 10 days and if not happy, will change it for another brand.

Yes, but this is the difference between change and return... so the store would have lost the sales in the first case based an a possible sale later in the year... so you might have been luckier telling them to give you some kind of voucher to be used against a later sale...