True 3G (H) Mifi (Wifi) Dongle On Mac

samuijimmy

Anyone have any idea how to set up the Mifi (wifi) on a True 3g wifi dongle...?

A friend and myself have tried several times with no success to get connected... We are both using Mac Air....

Gone through the basic instructions they provide, but no joy....sad.png

I tried phoning True "assistance"..... whistling.gif today, and after 10 or more minutes of getting nowhere with the guy, I just hung up.... he had no idea... blink.pngrolleyes.gif

Running Mountian Lion on the computers....

Any ideas in low tech speak, biggrin.png would be appreciated! thumbsup.gif

- I am assuming you are using a TrueMove-H sim card? (not dtac, ais, etc)

- were laptops ever able to connect to mifi device in the past? Or is this a recent occurrence?

- are you able to connect to the device, but not the internet? Or you cannot connect to device at all? If you can connect to the device, you can access the admin panel and check APN settings, force 3g only, etc.

- Have you tried connecting a different wifi-enabled device (tablet, desktop/laptop, another phone, etc) to the mifi device? Success?

- can you connect to the device using USB to the mifi device? You may have to install driver first, which will popup on the first connection to mac/windows laptop.

- Are you able to connect other wifi connections with the macbook?

- Did you take the laptop with you to the True shop to ensure correct setup when you were buying the device?

- what is the make/model number of the True 3g mifi dongle? Where did you buy it?

- is the device SSID (wifi name that shows up in list of available networks) password protected with the default factory password or another password? (as a last resort, you may have to factory-reset the phone....with a toothpick or needle to push the hidden reset button)

A new, True-H branded mifi device should work with any true-h sim out of the box. If it is the older True 3G/Truemove mifi device (not Truemove-H ), the APN settings may have to be changed. The correct settings for Truemove H are:

Apn name: internet

user: true

pass: true

dialup number: *99#, or *99# (if a dialup number is requested....leave this alone first)

If you are using MyCat sim, the same APN settings for TrueMove H should still work without a need to modify settings.

I have used MF-62 unbranded device which required a manual setup of new APN profile (settings, once you verify the profile works, set it to the default profile for automatic connection/re-connection. I have successfully connected this device and Cat CDMA mifi device to my macbook core2duo running 10.6.8 snow leopard. In fact, I have connected many wifi connections with no problems that were not resolved with flipping off and on airport, unless the internet is down altogether.

Thanks 4evermeat, for trying to help here.... part of response in your quote.

- I am assuming you are using a TrueMove-H sim card? (not dtac, ais, etc)...... yes True

- were laptops ever able to connect to mifi device in the past? Never tried...

Or is this a recent occurrence? Made this decision, to try Wifi dongle, because had to switch from CAT CDMA (finishing soon here) and made the switch last week.... so new and not tried before.

We seem to have set up with all the info, (same you provided came up automatically..... where the problem seems to come is it asks for a WPA password...

we've tried "true" and "admin" but these are too short .... so I think this is our "glitch"...... is how to set up a WPA password.... ?

Thanks also to lomatopo need to find someone who has good English and Thai.... sigh! no have at the moment! rolleyes.gif

We tried phoning True again and got nowhere with them...

Sorry to see ever helpful CATCDMA not providing dongle service on Samui.

Now paying more for this True device and it's no faster than the old CAT dongle.sad.png

Edited by samuijimmy

You need to access the MiFi's user management system, typically with a browser pointed to 192.168.1.1

Then set up whatever WiFi security protocols you require.

http://www.totalairc...wei-E5836S.html

(you can use Google Chrome with automatic translation.)

Can you tell us exactly which brand/make/model MiFi device you have? I think it may be a logo-ed version of the Huawei E5836?

Edited by lomatopo

You need to access the MiFi's user management system, typically with a browser pointed to 192.168.1.1

Can you tell us exactly which brand/make/model MiFi device you have? I think it may be a logo-ed version of the Huawei E5836?

Thanks again lomatopo,

What I have and my friend also wants to get, is the Truemove, H 3g+ model I think 0682 (MIFI) Also printed on back is " Huawei"

We are both lost on this sort of stuff, plus the fact I have to run to his house to see what we've managed to accomplish... each time, so far naught! So it gets a bit tedious... rolleyes.gifsad.png

Will keep plugging away, and or try to catch a techy Thai friend who can translate... if more stuff found in Thai only !!!!

My two Macs are connected between themselves.... It is really for either of us to have internet if some one comes to stay.... no one on the horizon yet! wink.png

I still can't figure out what kind of device you have?

Does it look like this: http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

That is, does it plug into a USB port on your Mac?

http://www.totalairc...WiFi-Smart.html

Or maybe this one?: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/product/detail/370/Aircard_Huawei_42mbps_Ultra_Surf

Or does it look like this: http://www.totalairc...7}2100Mhz).html

Edited by lomatopo

The first link you gave there! I know .... I feel like a a bit of an idiot, !!!whistling.gif easy for some! biggrin.png

21 kbps (when they set that up, maybe one more year they say, for Samui ) ... I do know that.. so does the True staff, but hopeless at helping like CAT would with set up. ..... sad.png

The faster speed one will only be available in BKK,... apparently!

Will try tomorrow to see if we have succeeded... through google translate, thanks again for your help! I f any other ideas, please say.... if you have the time!!!! thumbsup.gif

Your responses are very confusing.

Does your device look like this: http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

Please just answer Yes or No.

Note that if you click on 3G/WiFi setting "tab" http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

it does show some information.

Basically if you can tell us EXACTLY which device you have, maybe with a picture, link, description, we may be able to help you. As it is I still cannot figure out which device you have.

More details are always better than fewer. All of your additional observations, while interesting, are useless to those try to help you.

As it stands, my best guess is that you have this device: http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

which I think is a Huawei E355 USB aircard, which can also function as a WiFi hotspot, creating a WiFi network for up to five devices which can share the mobile broadband (3G) connection.You would install a TreuMove H SIM into this device and then you would plug in to a USB port on your Mac (and maybe this thing can free-stand in an adapter?) . In theory the device should download and install any software onto the Mac. My best guess is that any APn detail is already pre-configured and you should be connected to the 3G network. Now you have to create the WiFi parameters of your choosing, through the software management user interface. Again, in theory your would create a network name, SSID, and then assign a WEP/WPA passcode. Form another device you should be able to see the WiFi (SSID) name, and then attach to it using the WEP/WPA passcode you previously created.

This is my best guess.

Found a PDF, finally: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huaweidevice.com.ar%2Fdescargas%2Fbanda-ancha-movil%2FE355-Manual-de-Usuario-Ingles.pdf

Edited by lomatopo

Sorry about that....

Question 1 answer is YES...

I will play with this, and see if I can sort, but until I get to the other computer up the road tomorrow, I won't know if it set up properly or not...

Thanks again.... I will let you know....

Your responses are very confusing.

Does your device look like this: http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

Please just answer Yes or No.

Note that if you click on 3G/WiFi setting "tab" http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

it does show some information.

Basically if you can tell us EXACTLY which device you have, maybe with a picture, link, description, we may be able to help you. As it is I still cannot figure out which device you have.

More details are always better than fewer. All of your additional observations, while interesting, are useless to those try to help you.

As it stands, my best guess is that you have this device: http://truemoveh.tru...8/Shared_WiFi_I

which I think is a Huawei E355 USB aircard, which can also function as a WiFi hotspot, creating a WiFi network for up to five devices which can share the mobile broadband (3G) connection.You would install a TreuMove H SIM into this device and then you would plug in to a USB port on your Mac (and maybe this thing can free-stand in an adapter?) . In theory the device should download and install any software onto the Mac. My best guess is that any APn detail is already pre-configured and you should be connected to the 3G network. Now you have to create the WiFi parameters of your choosing, through the software management user interface. Again, in theory your would create a network name, SSID, and then assign a WEP/WPA passcode. Form another device you should be able to see the WiFi (SSID) name, and then attach to it using the WEP/WPA passcode you previously created.

This is my best guess.

Found a PDF, finally: https://docs.google....ario-Ingles.pdf

If it is at all like the stock Huawei E355 then the SSID and network key are printed on the inside of the device, per the attached image.

To manage the device use a browser pointed to 192.168.1.1, default username = admin, default password = admin.

post-9615-0-93682400-1345906770_thumb.jp

the retail box inside, under the battery, on a sticker on the instruction manual, or somewhere with the retail packaging should be the default (factory) WPA/WPA2 password. This is usually the first thing you look for whenever you open the box of a mifi or any wifi broadcasting device.

The next step if you cannot figure it out on your own how to properly connect to the mifi device, is to physically take the laptop (or smartphone with wifi enabled) and the mifi device to a truemove branded shop. They will get you up and running out of the box. You just keep wasting 3 baht calling them and getting nowhere.

This is actually the first step most of the time here in Thailand: setup/walk-through the mobile device on site whenever possible. you don't want to wait until you get all the way home to realize that your shiny new device can only be used as a paperweight. It doesn't cost you anything, but can save a bunch in headaches.

the retail box inside, under the battery, on a sticker on the instruction manual, or somewhere with the retail packaging should be the default (factory) WPA/WPA2 password. This is usually the first thing you look for whenever you open the box of a mifi or any wifi broadcasting device.

The next step if you cannot figure it out on your own how to properly connect to the mifi device, is to physically take the laptop (or smartphone with wifi enabled) and the mifi device to a truemove branded shop. They will get you up and running out of the box. You just keep wasting 3 baht calling them and getting nowhere.

This is actually the first step most of the time here in Thailand: setup/walk-through the mobile device on site whenever possible. you don't want to wait until you get all the way home to realize that your shiny new device can only be used as a paperweight. It doesn't cost you anything, but can save a bunch in headaches.

Have to say out of some 4/5 true move shops on Samui they are all <deleted> useless they do not have a clue on set up they are just there to sell a product. I have asked for the MIFI dongle answere NO HAVE you have to go to Bangkok well please order one for me SORRY CANNOT buy this one have special promotion honest they are useless on Samui thney even suggested that I should get the ferry to Suratthani as the shop there has a techno person to assist. Have even tried to order online FAT CHANCE of that happeningand all this because Cat on the island are no longer going to provide a service Two years ago I spent 5000 bt with cat for a dongle now to be told as of 31st it will no longer provide me a service so I am really pissed off !!!!

Have to say out of some 4/5 true move shops on Samui they are all <deleted> useless they do not have a clue on set up they are just there to sell a product. I have asked for the MIFI dongle answere NO HAVE you have to go to Bangkok well please order one for me SORRY CANNOT buy this one have special promotion honest they are useless on Samui thney even suggested that I should get the ferry to Suratthani as the shop there has a techno person to assist. Have even tried to order online FAT CHANCE of that happeningand all this because Cat on the island are no longer going to provide a service Two years ago I spent 5000 bt with cat for a dongle now to be told as of 31st it will no longer provide me a service so I am really pissed off !!!!

I can believe that. Even branded shops, especially isolated ones, the help might not be familiar with the products they sell or the passdown from corporate may take longer. I bet the phuket / surat thani shops would have more qualified people. I know if I have a problem with my samsung phone or any of my laptops (mac or pc), it's going to require a trip to bangkok or other authorized repair centers. I might luck out and a local person can fix it. Chumphon has few authorized repair centers for major brands, although tesco now has an on-site samsung rep during the day (sometimes...don't know if that's permanent or the guy's just passing through). But it's just one of those things you come to understand when you settle down somewhere.

The OP did not mention where he was located. I'm very particular about what I buy and it is not just based on looks. Sometimes paying a few extra baht for piece of mind is a great investment. I know better than to walk out of a store with a mac and not test the compatible device myself or with a rep before walking out. When I got my true h sim card, I had laptop with me and the supervisor changed the apn profile on the spot. Took 5-10 minutes and I gladly handed over the 99 baht.

Things are changing constantly here in thailand (usually for the better with technology), but we live here cheap for a reason, and one of those reasons is not having english well spoken, a mcdonalds on every corner, all kinds of social security benefits, etc. But at least we have this forum.

I can believe that. Even branded shops, especially isolated ones, the help might not be familiar with the products they sell or the passdown from corporate may take longer. I bet the phuket / surat thani shops would have more qualified people. I know if I have a problem with my samsung phone or any of my laptops (mac or pc), it's going to require a trip to bangkok or other authorized repair centers. I might luck out and a local person can fix it. Chumphon has few authorized repair centers for major brands, although tesco now has an on-site samsung rep during the day (sometimes...don't know if that's permanent or the guy's just passing through). But it's just one of those things you come to understand when you settle down somewhere.

The OP did not mention where he was located. I'm very particular about what I buy and it is not just based on looks. Sometimes paying a few extra baht for piece of mind is a great investment. I know better than to walk out of a store with a mac and not test the compatible device myself or with a rep before walking out. When I got my true h sim card, I had laptop with me and the supervisor changed the apn profile on the spot. Took 5-10 minutes and I gladly handed over the 99 baht.

Things are changing constantly here in thailand (usually for the better with technology), but we live here cheap for a reason, and one of those reasons is not having english well spoken, a mcdonalds on every corner, all kinds of social security benefits, etc. But at least we have this forum.

I am on Samui, thought people would get that with my user name...smile.pngwink.png

Believe me, I have done more research on this than anyone could imagine, (and posted results on Samui forum) which provider to use... I tried them allthe providers one way or another, and it does come down to location ....for signal pickup.... some areas much better than others.

I took the new Dongle back to True the other day along with the Mac Air, to ask for assistance in set up...the Wifi before I made the post here.

I did not just pick the first "pretty looking dongle"... in a box! I had also borrowed some one's True dongle to test out first.... I just picked the wifi version, for convenience of any one staying here... I wished I had just picked up the regular one!

As crazykopite, says they are just clueless, at True for set up on Samui blink.png and said the same to me to go to Surratthanni city or BKK...

You'd think they would have at least a couple of people clued in to helping with "customer service" ... but that is True for you and why I switched to Astro TV over two years ago... (one lives in hopes that things may have changed, and some have to the better in some companies....)

.... Samui is not that small a place and many companies competing for business....AIS 3BB or what ever , just does not have a good signal, for my home and frankly True's 3G is not as good as the CAT dongle I've had for 2.5 years plus...... sad.png

I thought I had this sorted this morning, used every different number on and in the dongle and the box... (it said "success" in set up) ..... but when my friend came down we still had no joy in connecting via Wifi.......

So, I think i will head down to the Ibeats shop tomorrow and have the tech guy there have a go, he's pretty good and can talk to True assistance if needed, in Thai .... cos I am givin' up trying...

Thanks for everyone's attempt to help.thumbsup.gif

I will post whether I get some JOY! smile.png

Edited by samuijimmy

.... Samui is not that small a place and many companies competing for business....AIS 3BB or what ever , just does not have a good signal, for my home and frankly True's 3G is not as good as the CAT dongle I've had for 2.5 years plus...... sad.png

I thought I had this sorted this morning, used every different number on and in the dongle and the box... (it said "success" in set up) ..... but when my friend came down we still had no joy in connecting via Wifi.......

So, I think i will head down to the Ibeats shop tomorrow and have the tech guy there have a go, he's pretty good and can talk to True assistance if needed, in Thai .... cos I am givin' up trying...

I'm sorry about those on Samui. Maybe Tot Wi-Net for home-based connection is viable?

Not sure how long ago the dongle was purchased....have you tried exchanging for a different model or getting a refund? It could be defective unit. I actually took a risk and purchased an unbranded ZTE MF-62 from total it online :). But in person, the features need to be working before i leave the store.

I always make photocopy (and usually enlarge 125%) of the thermal receipts of major purchase as they fade quickly.

I can understand the whole issue with customer service sometimes. CAT was supposed to send a detailed billing statement to me 2 weeks ago.....nothing. They charged me for call center calls that should be free. And the detailed bill would show the calls made that billing month. They are normally excellent with followup calls. But not this time. Zero follow-through.

I am on Samui, thought people would get that with my user name...smile.pngwink.png

Believe me, I have done more research on this than anyone could imagine, (and posted results on Samui forum) which provider to use... I tried them allthe providers one way or another, and it does come down to location ....for signal pickup.... some areas much better than others.

I took the new Dongle back to True the other day along with the Mac Air, to ask for assistance in set up...the Wifi before I made the post here.

I did not just pick the first "pretty looking dongle"... in a box! I had also borrowed some one's True dongle to test out first.... I just picked the wifi version, for convenience of any one staying here... I wished I had just picked up the regular one!

As crazykopite, says they are just clueless, at True for set up on Samui blink.png and said the same to me to go to Surratthanni city or BKK...

You'd think they would have at least a couple of people clued in to helping with "customer service" ... but that is True for you and why I switched to Astro TV over two years ago... (one lives in hopes that things may have changed, and some have to the better in some companies....)

Again, too much information unrelated to the problem at hand.

Did this device come with a stand-alone adapter which plugs in to an AC wall outlet?

Is there an SSID and Network Key printed on the unit, under the cover?

I assume you have a TrueMove H micro SIM, have activated it, have added value, and have subscribed to a data plan?

Can you describe any steps you have taken so far in trying to activate this device? And at which points do you run into problems?

Could you possible take some pictures of the device and post them here?

I will play with this, and see if I can sort, but until I get to the other computer up the road tomorrow,

When you say "up the road" how far, approximately, are you talking about?

We are 2 to 3 Kms apart, so either I go to him or he comes to me... bit of a pain..... we are not trying to do this by great distance... in case you are thinking that. wink.png

Again, too much information unrelated to the problem at hand.

Did this device come with a stand-alone adapter which plugs in to an AC wall outlet?

Is there an SSID and Network Key printed on the unit, under the cover?

I assume you have a TrueMove H micro SIM, have activated it, have added value, and have subscribed to a data plan?

Can you describe any steps you have taken so far in trying to activate this device? And at which points do you run into problems?

Could you possible take some pictures of the device and post them here?

It's the one pictured in the link you gave and I said "yes".... No wall adapter, just a usb-plug in dongle.... Yes all activated with True.... I have had it for about a week.

I have loaned it to someone else to try and see what their signal pick up is like, just using as a "receiver" ...(not Mifi) so I don't have it here to take a picture at the moment. ... Still able to use CAT dongle, before that contract ends...

Yesterday there was an update, for Mt Lion, perhaps that will help??? On the box it says "with latest updates" although for 10.7 ... I have 10.8.1 now...

Like i say I have tried all number combos on box and dongle inside and out.... Some things on computers always "get me" other things no problem... But I am not in a huge rush to sort it, Will try again when I get the True dongle back!

Thanks again for trying to help!

Edited by samuijimmy

OK sorted now!

I knew it would/ should be easy.... I took to Ibeats shop on Samui, then me and the staff member there went to the True desk... although even he could not get help there...sad.png

So he / we reset the dongle with a paper clip, we reinstalled the application put in a password.... (8 figures / letters our choice) .... and presto it works! (password cannot be too short... I think more than 5 letters or numbers) ......

Easy for some! At least some shops have a trained tech on hand..... and he did not charge me.... !!!! !thumbsup.gif

Anyway thanks for trying guys! smile.png

Good to hear your up and running at long last !!! I know that those living in the big city would find it hard to understand that island living is totally different but such a minor problem like you have had can become very complicated and confusing because TRUE do not have competnant staff on the island, all they are trained to do is to sell a product and keep the glass shelves polished, even when I had my True ubc box upgraded it was a nightmare why because non of the staff can speak a word of English all they do is install ,shrug there shoulders and say " NO UNDERSTAND " and leave indeed when I lived on Koh Phangan at least the installers could speak some English and the staff in the office were always helpful and if they did not know the answer they would call Bangkok on Samui they won't even do that !!!!