The New Smartscreen Feature In Windows 8 Supposedly Tells Microsoft About The Applications

Richard-BKK

The new SmartScreen feature in Windows 8 supposedly tells Microsoft about the application you're installing along with your IP address.

A recent scare piece by Cryptocat developer Nadim Kobeissi over on Gizmodo alleges that Windows 8 will tell Microsoft everything the user installs into the new OS.

The reveal is based on the RTM version of Windows 8 which offers a new feature called Windows SmartScreen. This feature is turned on by default, and is the culprit behind what Microsoft reportedly knows about the installed programs. According to the report, Windows SmartScreen is merely supposed to "screen" every application the user installs from the Internet, and inform the user if it's safe to proceed, or too evil to install.

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-SmartScreen-Security-Nadim-Kobeissi-SSLv2,17171.html

Seems a bit of tin foil head gear to me - if they wanted to do this they can just get a list of everything on your system while staging your up dates using the activex you gave them permission to run every second Tuesday of the month.

Seems a bit of tin foil head gear to me - if they wanted to do this they can just get a list of everything on your system while staging your up dates using the activex you gave them permission to run every second Tuesday of the month.

yea... it's there by default to protect (i believe it can be turned off) you from installing malicious software and let you know if the software is recognized by Windows as safe....

The PROBLEM with this though is that many laymen or nontechnical people will get scared off from installing things that are likely harmless...

there is one example as shown by the OP's link of installing TOR, which we know is not anything close to dangerous software...if anything, TOR is the opposite and protects you, however W8 doesn't have it on it's list of approved/known safe software and gives this warning... which as i said could easily scare off non-techies...

http://img.gawkerass...martscreen1.jpg

if you're concerned about "spying"...this is nothing to be worried about IMO..but, does have other implications..it's highly doubtful microsoft takes the time to review and authorize the huge majority of harmless software out there.

Edited by happysanook