Is It Like This Everywhere ?

CharlieH

Had my toaster for 2 years, washing machine for 6 years, fridge freezer for 6 years, television 6 years, microwave 6 years. (hoping they will not all break down now I've posted this rolleyes.gif ).

Have to admit I've had toasters and kettles that barely lasted 3 months or so before breaking down. For cups of tea / coffee i now use the microwave to heat the water.

I've also had drill bits that turned to mush when drilling, now i use tungsten bits.

Sewing needles that rust and snap, especially when you want to sew on the button on the shorts that came off after a few weeks rolleyes.gif Bought decent sewing needles last time back in the UK. They are great.

I bought a v......... years ago. Oops. Cannot mention those tongue.png Still works though and it is well liked.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I live in Bangkok and haven't shared the same experiences as the OP - I really feel for him, having a 5-hour round trip to a Home Pro, that's unfortunate. You can still buy low-quality products in Bangkok, but it helps having the service centres of major companies based locally - I can imagine that being a real hassle if you're outside Bangkok. Most products have a 1 year + warranty but it's the consumer's responsibly to take the product to the centre or post it. I've made three warranty claims whilst living in Thailand - a Samsung Blu-ray player, a Black & Decker drill and a Sony laptop - in all instances the service centres were within a 5-mile radius of where I live (I live south of Bangkok and B&D is in Samut Prakarn) and I received the same service as I would have expected to receive back home.

Had my toaster for 2 years, washing machine for 6 years, fridge freezer for 6 years, television 6 years, microwave 6 years. (hoping they will not all break down now I've posted this rolleyes.gif ).

Have to admit I've had toasters and kettles that barely lasted 3 months or so before breaking down. For cups of tea / coffee i now use the microwave to heat the water.

I've also had drill bits that turned to mush when drilling, now i use tungsten bits.

Sewing needles that rust and snap, especially when you want to sew on the button on the shorts that came off after a few weeks rolleyes.gif Bought decent sewing needles last time back in the UK. They are great.

I bought a v......... years ago. Oops. Cannot mention those tongue.png Still works though and it is well liked.

I would have agreed except - my microwave, dishwasher, TV surround system, pond filter, coffee maker (I'm sure I've forgotten a couple of other things) have all given up the ghost over the past couple of months sad.png . They were all bought around 6 years ago except the TV surround system which is around 2 years old (having replaced the previous one, bought at the same time as everything else).

They were all good quality brands BUT, the humidity here means that few electrical appliances last long...

My washing machine has also started 'playing up'...

I would have agreed except - my microwave, dishwasher, TV surround system, pond filter, coffee maker (I'm sure I've forgotten a couple of other things) have all given up the ghost over the past couple of months sad.png . They were all bought around 6 years ago except the TV surround system which is around 2 years old (having replaced the previous one, bought at the same time as everything else).

They were all good quality brands BUT, the humidity here means that few electrical appliances last long...

My washing machine has also started 'playing up'...

Oh Noooooo!

Looks like I had better start saving the tips I give out every night in my piggy bank to be ready to buy some new ones sad.png

Seriously though, after such a long life with these appliances I'd not be surprised if they were due to give up before much longer.

@OP - its why they have the exorbitant tax on imports here; otherwise no one would buy the trash they manufacture here. They get away with it because most of the population can not afford the top notch import stuff. In general, anything I have bought that was not imported has had a problem with it or has broken. Not saying that everything imported is always works fine though! However, unless its a crazy impulse buy or basically no choice apart from a local product, I get the import.

Seems incredible that the OP is a 5 hour drive away from something like a tesco lotus that has a wide range of quality appliances, clothes and of course food. Surely he would have to get to some sort of civilisation at some point, visa, hospital etc? just plan it and be prepared to lay out some cash then. I'm sure the locals get by farming etc with tool bought locally, check out where they get theirs.

When sheds and tool-racks become common in Thai homes . . .

When common or garden builders stop using a 50/50 cement mix because they think it'll make it stronger. .

When they stop holding wooden roofs together with steel nails . . .

When they deliberate mathematically on inclines on stairs and roofs that deviate from 45 degrees . . .

When they begin to consider the root rectangle in building . . .

When Thais become conscious of the fact that you can actually have plumbing where you can turn all the taps on all at once without a drop in pressure . . .

When Thais catch on to underground utility cables . . .

When you stop hearing the sound of tortured essential machinery on every street in every village, town and city in Thailand . . .

When the very consideration of the above becomes common currency in Thai culture maybe you will start to see a drop in demand for rubbish tools. Until then the vast majority of the market for the things you mentioned won't know to care. The concept of 'kit husbandry' is still a bit like black magic to many Thais.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

Always ask the seller where the items are made, and if they have any alternatives available that are more expensive. I usually avoid anything that is 'made in china' now as the quality is absolutely <deleted>.

Usually you pay an extra 20% and get a lot better quality.

That was true maybe 20 years ago to day 90% of every goods are made in China, German tools, French clothes American brands like Nike Levy Straus, even iPhone is made in China, so good luck avoiding "anything that's made in China"whistling.gif

@OP - its why they have the exorbitant tax on imports here; otherwise no one would buy the trash they manufacture here. They get away with it because most of the population can not afford the top notch import stuff. In general, anything I have bought that was not imported has had a problem with it or has broken. Not saying that everything imported is always works fine though! However, unless its a crazy impulse buy or basically no choice apart from a local product, I get the import.

Made in Thailand is only acceptable if a foreign company is in control and assures the quality. Everything else is total crap, even below local Chinese products.

• Like 1

Made in Thailand is only acceptable if a foreign company is in control and assures the quality. Everything else is total crap, even below local Chinese products.

Vice President of Engineering and Manufacturing; Mr. Arun Samutsara.

Is that a German name? Arun Samutsara. Must be German cause he works for Mercedes-benz! VP Engineering and Manufacturing I think is responsible for Engineering and Manufacturing? No?

Umbrellas.

It seems nearly all the folding umbrellas sold out here and in Latin America are cheap Chinese crap, basically of the same construction. My record for one is several minutes: bought one on a rainy day, went outside and opened it up and it was destroyed by the first gust of wind, and it wasn't even that powerful.

At least in Bangkok you can find a decent Japanese one if you look around, costs 3x the price of Chinese garbage, but it's an umbrella and not a joke.

• Like 1

Umbrellas.

It seems nearly all the folding umbrellas sold out here and in Latin America are cheap Chinese crap, basically of the same construction. My record for one is several minutes: bought one on a rainy day, went outside and opened it up and it was destroyed by the first gust of wind, and it wasn't even that powerful.

At least in Bangkok you can find a decent Japanese one if you look around, costs 3x the price of Chinese garbage, but it's an umbrella and not a joke.

Chiang mai shopping - Sankhampheang : Borsarng Umbrella & Sankampaeng Handicrafts, Chiang Mai. Products of umbrellas. Bosang and Sankamphaeng are among the old tourist spots of Chiang Mai which just 13 kms away from Chiang mai city.

Borsang village is famous for umbrella which is made of mulberry tree, light fabric and cotton. The village is 500 meter away from the Chiang mai-Sankampheang road Km 9. There are a center of umbrella shop where you can buy product , see the people made the umbrella. You can also pain umbrella in your favorite design.

Many of good quality export silk shop such as Shinawatra.

Yes, it's like this everywhere.

Although I'm under the impression that you can buy exceptionally cheap stuff in Thailand that is even more likely to fail instantly. In the West, there seems to be some kind of threshold in price and with it in quality of a product to make it into the shops. In Thailand, like in the West, if you spend a reasonable amount of money you tend to get a reasonable product.

As said before, you normally get what you pay for.

One of the joys of living in a developing country I suppose or in a remote area. I guess I just don't find the concept that foreign. Plenty of people in Australia wait to travel the large distances, sometimes only once or twice a year, to stock up on what they need.

Slight additional problem in Thailand: People in your area aren't going to be able to afford the 'good stuff' and cashflow dictates that they'll buy the crap stuff, use it, and then re-buy. Sure we can poo-poo it as short term-ism, but you do what is practical I guess.

Places like Bangkok are the sweetspot I guess. You have the choice of higher and lower end goods. Mix and match more easily.

Vice President of Engineering and Manufacturing; Mr. Arun Samutsara.

Is that a German name? Arun Samutsara. Must be German cause he works for Mercedes-benz! VP Engineering and Manufacturing I think is responsible for Engineering and Manufacturing? No?

Correct - you answered it yourself. The answer is no. He is VP After sales.

They would trust a Thai to make sure a VIP sales room looks nice but not for the engineering of their vehicles. Or the manufacture. Especially a German firm.

You misread the picture you took his name from;

Dr. Alexander Paufler - President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz (Thailand) Limited,

Mr. Dirk Breda (1st left), Vice President & CFO;

Mr. Martin Schulz (3rd right), Vice President of Sales & Marketing;

Mr. Reiner Ehmann (2nd left), Vice President of Engineering and Manufacturing;

Mr. Arun Samutsara (3rd left), Vice President of After-Sales;

Mr. Komkrit Nongsawat (1st right), General Manager of Marketing and Communications; and

Mr. Grisnagorn Sawettanan (4th left), General Manager of Sales Operations

Sort of tells you a story really - the jobs that matter are done by Germans, the ones where anyone could do it, is done by the locals. Reporting to a German. Can't say I blame them either....

Edited by Pseudolus

Who's bought ''stainless'' steel braided flexible tap hoses that rust out in a couple of years. sad.pnglaugh.png

Not me. I have bought in my time though;

1. Screws where the head grinds away half way through screwing something in;
  2. Shower head that rusted on the inside in 6 months (stainless steel rusts in Thailand apparently).
  3. Silicone sealant in a push tube where the internal plunger did not actually plunge and resulted in the whole lots covering my hand. And deck. Sealant worked though! Couldn't get it off of my hands for a week.
  4. A plethora of floor mops that break in a week / sponge falls off / attachment rusts and breaks
  5. Yard brushes where the head drops off in about a minutes
  6. wall plugs that break apart as soon as the screw is half way in. Never found out how they perform as the screw could not be put in all the way as the head rounded out.
  7. Drill bit designed for masonry that snapped in half when being used to hard wood
  8. A selection of forks where the prongs bent out of shape. Once, it happened with a sausage.\
  9. Frying pan that actually curved up on itself under moderate heat like a taco shell. I forgot about a Tefal one I used in Thailand once on the flame. It was there for in excess of an hour. The telfon had burnt away with a horrendous smell, but the pan itself was fine and still use it today.

....the list goes on. The most irritating of the lot though are the labels they stick on things. The glue they use works very well. It never comes off. I steamed a wine glass once for about 30 minutes and still could not get the label off. The one in English came off straight away; the Thai label stuck on by the importer is still there.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 2

Bulling usually does the trick for those hard-to-remove sticker glue traces.

Take one coarse cloth and just watch the telly or the wall or something for a while whilst you rub the offended object (sans boot polish, naturally). Apply just enough pressure for the friction to generate some heat.

Edited by Trembly

We've given up on electric kettles, even the more expensive Phillips one only lasted about 3 months, so I bought a Seagull stainless steel one for the gas hob, with a nice whistle.

I've had my Electrolux kettle for 4 years.....

i have had the same toaster oven (electrolux) for 15 years, and i bought it second hand. Blender, electrolux. ( 12 y), bosch electric screwdiver 12 y. NAD amp and B&W speakers, 15 years.

i own both black and decker and bosch drills both over 10 years old. I have a 7 year old samsung double door stainless finish fridge that looks like the day it was purchased.

oh, and my microwave is well over 10 years old, stainless finish and it looks new.

and the antique cabinets and tables in my house are all approaching 100 if not more.

the op really needs to stop buying cheap shit.

No only do you get pride of ownership buying quality, you get longevity.

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

Its all very well saying buy this make or that brand, BUT ITS NOT AVAILABLE HERE !!!!! ("here" meaning my area)

I did state this in the original post about "where you are" here you cant buy quality thats my whole point, and in post no.4 I stated I have tried paying more but that doesnt always work either so its not a case of getting what you pay for either.

This is a rural area, mostly farming community. If I was living in the larger cities some of the points would be valid and frankly probably I wouldnt even make the post.

I am not about to take a 10 hr return bus trip to Bangkok for a Stanley scew driver or DeWalt grinder !

I know the well known brands but dont particularly want to spend hours on the road getting them. Before some one else says it, Ok my fault for living in the boonies.

To put that into perspective the nearest HomePro or similiar involves a 5 hr drive.

my point was "its not available here" all you can get is cheap crap in this area and was it the same around your area.

Stating "this area" but not telling us where that is doesnt help

what about ordering online? you are ranting on thai visa, so apparently you have internet, correct? I buy plenty of stuff online, and i live in Bangkok.

A friend of mine wanted a coinbox telephone for his bar. He only found one supplier so went there and bought the only model they had (there were quite a few of that model though). He got back to the bar and found it didn't work. He went back to the shop the next day and said it didn't work. "Oh, none of them work sir.", "Did you know this yesterday?", "Yes", "So why did you sell me a phone that you knew didn't work?", "Because you asked for it, sir". The mind boggles!!

Take one coarse cloth and just watch the telly or the wall or something for a while whilst you rub the offended object (sans boot polish, naturally). Apply just enough pressure for the friction to generate some heat.

It works - eventually....

I'm building up the courage to tell the store to remove the stickers when I next buy the dam_n thing!

Edit - I still think most of the problems with electrical appliances (not the cheap versions that are obviously going to fail in no time), is the climate. The humidity is bound to play havoc with most electrical appliances, never mind how much you paid.

Edited by F1fanatic

What, pray tell, is "Bulling"???

I asked my friend Mr. Google and all he had to say was....

"Bulling is a behaviour seen in cattle when one mounts another, usually when one or the other is a female in oestrus (on heat);[1] "bulling" is commonly used as a term for a female in oestrus. Female cattle in oestrus may mount any adult cattle, especially a bull (fertile male) if one is present, but they will also mount castrated males or other females. A bulling female will often also be mounted by other cattle, both male and female (only fertile males are usually capable of mating). A dominant bull will defend the bulling female from being mounted by other cattle."

This may well get the sticky bits off your glasses, but would probably break them in the process.

But perhaps I'm a little off topic....

I'm building up the courage to tell the store to remove the stickers when I next buy the dam_n thing!

Dab cooking oil on the stickers and leave for half an hour - comes off easy then!thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Dab cooking oil on the stickers and leave for half an hour - comes off easy then!thumbsup.gif

I am going to try that next time. If it doesn't work, can a bring the offending object over and beat you soundly over the head with it? I think the next item on my list is a cast iron skillet.smile.png

• Like 1