6 Nations Rugby

sadman

OK. We await the 6 Nations with bated breath, eager to see how good/bad the various nations are this year. I shall lead with chin, and predict that France and England will beat everyone else and that England will beat France by 7 points; Scotland will get the wooden spoon and Italy will be the surprise by beating both Scotland and Ireland.

Final table: England, France, Wales, Italy, Ireland, Scotland.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

France, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy

I'd like England to do the Slam (of course) but I think France may be just too strong at home. It will not be for the faint hearted!

I don't think Wales can repeat the form of last year. There's just too many injuries to what is still a relatively shallow squad. Their autumn results showed that. They get 3rd spot this year.

Ireland also need to improve on the autumn series and Eddie Sullivan needs to clear out some of the veterans in the squad. Their best chance for a Slam was probably two years ago and they blew it. I'd place them 4th .... but .... did anybody see Leinster play Bath in the Heineken Cup?! BOD and the rest looked in top form so Ireland could spring a few surprises on that basis.

Scotland .... autumn form was better than the results indicated. It will be tight but I think they'll end up 5th this year. Still more time needed for the rebuilding to really show.

Italy .... sorry, but it's the wooden spoon for them in 06.

Can't wait! :o

I'd like England to do the Slam (of course) but I think France may be just too strong at home. It will not be for the faint hearted!

I don't think Wales can repeat the form of last year. There's just too many injuries to what is still a relatively shallow squad. Their autumn results showed that. They get 3rd spot this year.

Ireland also need to improve on the autumn series and Eddie Sullivan needs to clear out some of the veterans in the squad. Their best chance for a Slam was probably two years ago and they blew it. I'd place them 4th .... but .... did anybody see Leinster play Bath in the Heineken Cup?! BOD and the rest looked in top form so Ireland could spring a few surprises on that basis.

Scotland .... autumn form was better than the results indicated. It will be tight but I think they'll end up 5th this year. Still more time needed for the rebuilding to really show.

Can't wait! :o

Wales, France, Ireland, England, Italy, Scotland - i think italy will improve this year. Yes wales have an issue with injuries but i still think all will be ok - England have had their day i reckon. Of course i may eat my words on this!!

Anyone interested in setting up a small group for fantasy league at www.scrum.com ?? PM if so and we can set one up for us Thailand based rugby fans

Can't wait! :D

Yep,

Saw Leinster last night BOD was magic

Don't forget Munster did the same to Sale at the weekend

So maybe the Irish are peaking at the right time ?

Nobody expects anything from Ireland this year so they

might spring a surprise (of course they usually do spring a surprise by

losing when they are supposed to be in top form :o )

tung tsz

Great. I've just spoken with a mate at the RFU who tells me that far from the dispute between club and country being nearly resolved, everyone is now getting humpy again. The upshot is this: all the England players are playing in fairly major club games this Saturday, after which they are supposed to be fit and ready to play the following Saturday. What could possibly go wrong?

If this isn't sorted out quickly, I see England losing to France and barely beating Wales. BTW, I saw some of the Irish players playing in provincial games and they were great, but internationals are a whole different kettle of fish. They won't be given the room to sparkle, and I'm afraid their forwards will have a torrid time of it. If it gives a clue, they are playing two natural openside flankers at 6 and 7 (and I don't think that's a tactical decision) and two middle jumpers in the 2nd row.

The Italian forwards should get the upper hand, and it's just a question of whether the backs are streetwise enough to put points on the board.

Wales, France, England, Ireland, Scotland, Italy

Anyone wanna bet me a beer that Wales wont do it again?

:o England: Wheres your Jonny gooooone... :D

:D wheres your Jonny gone? :D

:D :D :D

I'll take that one, Wolfie. The Welsh forwards have no strength in depth, and several are injured, including the Jones brothers, Ryan Jones and (I think) Gethin Jenkins. In the backs, Gareth Thomas is carrying an injury, Sonny Parker has retired and Henson is not only a target for every Lions tourist, but is neither liked nor trusted by his own side.

Yeah, I'll take that one.

I'll take that one, Wolfie.

Your On

The Welsh forwards have no strength in depth, and several are injured, including the Jones brothers, Ryan Jones and (I think) Gethin Jenkins. In the backs, Gareth Thomas is carrying an injury, Sonny Parker has retired and Henson is not only a target for every Lions tourist, but is neither liked nor

trusted by his own side.

Agreed were not full strength, but weve got over out 70 minute thing and i'm confident we will give you lot a good run for your money...

Yeah, I'll take that one.

*Dont forget to read the small print*

England by a long shot, probably the slam as well,

then france ireland wales scotland italy

What is the draw. If your playing france at home then, I would say the Slam is as long a shot as you will get.You might also find the micks alot harder than most people think.

Just found the draw.You have indeed got France at home.If France play well, you could lose by 20 points or win by 20 if they don't.It all depends what French team turns up. :o

Six Nations Draw

Edited by chuchok

England by a long shot, probably the slam as well,

then france ireland wales scotland italy

What is the draw. If your playing france at home then, I would say the Slam is as long a shot as you will get.You might also find the micks alot harder than most people think.

Just found the draw.You have indeed got France at home.If France play well, you could lose by 20 points or win by 20 if they don't.It all depends what French team turns up. :o

Six Nations Draw

Yes if I take my head out of the clouds that will could be a difficult match, but I think right now England have turned the corner and actually have a very good squad, it needs polishing a lot to be in time to come second in the world cup. But I am confident England will win the 6 nations if not the slam. I do believe wales could take france in the final match at milleneum stadium

:D England: Wheres your Jonny gooooone... :D

You boys might do ok as long as the bridges are shut for high winds :o As much as i hate to admit it i think England might be struggling this year :D Ireland are looking good, as usual Scotland and Italy will be fighting for the spoon. Who knows about France they will be either magic or <deleted> depending on there mood on the day.

So on that basis

Ireland

France

Wales

England

Italy

Scotland

But i am praying that dallagio will be on form and they bring him into the reckoning, he will add some guts up front and that might just push us onto a couple of unexpected wins and will see us a bit further up the table. :burp:

Image how you feel you have played 60 minutes of hard rugby against the England pack, you pick your sorry arse off the floor yet again and look to the side line to see lawrence delagio warming up,

I still reckon England will do it this year, there will be no touching them next year

France, Wales,England, Ireland, Scotland,Italy.

:o:D You're havin a larf ain't ya?

Is this forum full of taffs and frogs now or what... :D

Yep, taking a few liberties and you're the only bugger that noticed.Should have ranked the wops up the scale a bit for the rest of the crew to catch on. :D

I knew it. I just ****ing knew it. One of my earlier posts decried the club vs country wrangles which are causing problems. Well, Pat Sanderson, the most in-form openside flanker in England, got injured over the weekend and will miss the first 3 6 Nations matches. So, we now have the situation where we have Lewis 'who can I punch now' Moody or Andy Hazell (good but not the finished article) as the likely contenders for the 7 shirt. Great. When France are putting out Remy Martin and Ireland have David Wallace/Jonny O'Connor, and even Scotland can make a decent fist of a back row, we have a real problem.

If Andy Robinson plays Dallaglio, it is an admission that our back row can't compete - he is possibly the best defensive 8 I have ever seen, but is a bit predictable and one-dimensional in attack. I think I'd look at a back row of Chris Jones, Andy Hazell and Martin Corry at 6, 7 and 8 respectively, with Corry and Jones switching at defensive scrums.

Borthwick and Grewcock as locks are a must, although I still worry about the latter's temperament: he is either too placid or goes over the top. If he could strike the right balance, he could be a truly great player.

I think England to win overall, but losing to France in Paris. I'm still unconvinced by Ireland (although I would dearly love to be proved wrong) and my money is still on Italy to turn it on in the forwards and win a couple of games.

Well the teams have been picked, stil lthink England can win it. This weekend England by 10 points

Yeah, I'm with you there. I think we could make hard work of it, as we've no invention in the centre and I'm still not happy with the back row. We've got to look at Paris next year, and need to try out some of the youger lads. Ollie Smith, Stuart Abbott, Tom Varndell - they're all in the 'A' team, but I'd like to see them move on.

Eat humble pie after todays result at fortress Twickenham :D

Well the teams have been picked, stil lthink England can win it. This weekend England by 10 points

Nope :burp:

Yep .

But it was 34. It's always nice to be polite and modest :o ,and realistic

Edited by roscoe

Eat humble pie after todays result at fortress Twickenham :D

Nope :D

Yep .

But it was 34. It's always nice to be polite and modest :o ,and realistic

yep, you pommies deserved your win...just! :D

England vs Wales: a good result but more to do with Wales' problems than England's skill. Corry was quiet, Ellis was naive and the midfield was unco-ordinated. Play Tindall (or Noon) at inside centre but stick an inventive player at 13. The pair of them got in each other's way and while they did well individually, they are not a good partnership.

Wales had no chance because the problems were primarily at 10 and 12, so that their wings never got the ball.

Talk of Dallaglio's return should be tempered by the thought that his main contribution (against a struggling side) was a 3 metre pick and drive, using the stupid referee as a shield. The defence had no chance.

I stand by what I said about Italy and Ireland, but Scotland were brilliant, although France just didn't turn up. Passion isn't enough at this level, though, and England at Murrayfield will be exciting, brutal, and a win for England.

It's great being an armchair pundit - all the gob and no responsibility :o:D:D

When is the Calcutta Cup anway?

Sorry for the delay. The Calcutta Cup is on 25th Feb, and I think it could be a classic, provided that injuries don't cause a problem. Our forwards will have to be on their game, especially as Jason White has found his form again and is playing like a man possessed. And England will have their work cut out containing Sean Lamont, a truly class act.

How about tomorrow's games, then?

When is the Calcutta Cup anway?

Sorry for the delay. The Calcutta Cup is on 25th Feb, and I think it could be a classic, provided that injuries don't cause a problem. Our forwards will have to be on their game, especially as Jason White has found his form again and is playing like a man possessed. And England will have their work cut out containing Sean Lamont, a truly class act.

How about tomorrow's games, then?

Well, since I usually expect Scotland to get a humping nowadays, then anything else is OK.